PDA

View Full Version : Stretching and warming up - golf specific

yoyo
16th August 2014, 12:21 PM
Interested to see what's going on out there when it comes to stretching, as well as warming up when it comes to helping you play better golf.
Nothing worse than starting out on the 1st dead cold for me, but it's a personal thing I guess.
I do a decent amount of stretching in the gym, along with weights and resistance work. Also like to stretch and use a TP roller before leaving home, then some more stretches and hit 30 or so balls prior to a round.

backintheswing
16th August 2014, 12:30 PM
I always do hamstrings and abductors and shoulders as I have had back and shoulder injuries in the past.

spanner039
16th August 2014, 12:52 PM
i always bend the elbow a few times before every game, it puts you in a pretty relaxing frame of mind

mrbluu
16th August 2014, 12:54 PM
3OD recommends extra long showers....

markTHEblake
16th August 2014, 01:42 PM
golfs not that hard, no need to stretch

3oneday
16th August 2014, 03:22 PM
3OD recommends extra long showers....correct, not necessarily by yourself either.

That and beer.

PeteyD
17th August 2014, 07:23 AM
Elbow bends are good

Coldtopper
17th August 2014, 09:49 PM
Afternoon starts when the shop opened but was never a good enough player to get stretched often. Stretching comes in a bottle these days!

LarryLong
17th August 2014, 09:57 PM
I've never managed the trick of turning up early enough to stretch. I had a brief flirtation with the warm up net a while ago and couldn't see any noticeable difference in my game.

Looney
18th August 2014, 02:49 PM
Of late I have been doing all my stretching the night before. Not sure it has been helping much but I have enjoyed it

Daves
18th August 2014, 02:54 PM
I do a little precautionary stretching and rotations. Main focus is on 1) Ankles so that I don't develop Plantar Facsiitis again, 2) Hamstrings and lower legs to take pressure of the lower back and give me a little extra flexibility and rotation in the swing.

IanO
18th August 2014, 03:26 PM
I do about 5 minutes or so stretching my back do to an old back injury just to make sure I can get some rotation.

hack7250
2nd January 2015, 01:43 PM
Good Thread being new to playing golf properly (don't laugh) I swing and bend on the first tee and that's it. Funny considering I have just come from the world of Triathlon where I would stretch and be on the foam roller whenever possible. Sounds like I need to add a routine in before I head out for a round.

davidw88
2nd January 2015, 05:33 PM
I just do about 5 practice swings on the first tee and thats it.

diddums
2nd January 2015, 06:23 PM
I try and warm up but it doesn't always happen. I must admit I feel and swing better if I do, surprise surprise.

yoyo
2nd January 2015, 07:11 PM
Good Thread being new to playing golf properly (don't laugh) I swing and bend on the first tee and that's it. Funny considering I have just come from the world of Triathlon where I would stretch and be on the foam roller whenever possible. Sounds like I need to add a routine in before I head out for a round. I came from triathlon as well, be prepared for your body to hate you for a while.....

Shreko
2nd January 2015, 08:07 PM
Not a great stretch routine for me, walk to 1st shake hands and away we go

yoyo
2nd January 2015, 08:15 PM
This is like a sports physiologists worst nightmare,.......

backintheswing
2nd January 2015, 08:39 PM
I watched a couple of guys hit balls today on the range, had a Kitchener bun and I was ready to go.

yoyo
2nd January 2015, 08:42 PM
Fixed everyone's sink too....... Bastard....

hack7250
2nd January 2015, 08:50 PM
I came from triathlon as well, be prepared for your body to hate you for a while..... It already hates me that's why I'm here. How long since you made the switch yoyo.

yoyo
2nd January 2015, 09:00 PM
12 months. IM refugee.

hack7250
2nd January 2015, 09:10 PM
12 months. IM refugee. Ha I never even made it that far was getting ready to do port as my first and the ticker didn't like it. Oh we'll few 1/2 is as close as I'll get for now. How are you finding the transition (pun not intended)

Courty
2nd January 2015, 09:27 PM
I've seen quite a few articles recently indicating that specific stretches do nothing to prevent injury. They basically went on to say that the best warm up for most activities is a brisk walk and some star jumps.

Edit: http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/12/fitness-friday-another-study-f.html

yoyo
3rd January 2015, 07:24 AM
Ha I never even made it that far was getting ready to do port as my first and the ticker didn't like it. Oh we'll few 1/2 is as close as I'll get for now. How are you finding the transition (pun not intended) Couple of little niggles here and there, but strengthening up in the gym has been pretty key to avoiding any serious injury and actually being able to swing a club with any power. Sounds like you weren't too deep in the cult so it may not be quite as bad for you, but I had 12 years of uni-directional IM jibber jabber to unravel.....

yoyo
3rd January 2015, 07:28 AM
I've seen quite a few articles recently indicating that specific stretches do nothing to prevent injury. They basically went on to say that the best warm up for most activities is a brisk walk and some star jumps.Edit: http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/12/fitness-friday-another-study-f.htmlIMHO "warming up" etc is entirely an n=1 thing. Ultimately it's all about what makes you feel better/ready, in body and mind, and each human unit is full of thousands of variables unique to it.

Micdeez
14th January 2015, 02:41 PM
Good read guys, thanks.

highballin
14th January 2015, 03:44 PM
Found this clip of Ricky Fowler stretching\ warmup interesting

http://youtu.be/GAk8biXykNo

Micdeez
14th January 2015, 04:07 PM
Some important but basic stretches there.

Not sure if any of you guys play tennis also, but I used to play at fairly high level in juniors until I suffered elbow and shoulder issues. 30yo now, and any sport or gym session I'll partake in, I always stretch prior and have had no serious concerns since. The crux is that I never really stretched when I was younger....

highballin
14th January 2015, 07:10 PM
Some important but basic stretches there

The crux is that I never really stretched when I was younger....

Ditto for me