PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Info

McMw
28th February 2006, 03:02 PM
Some Info required... :)

I'm in Sydney next week - need to know the following...

Staying at Circular Quay (assume this is close to the river?)
Is this pretty much middle of the town/city?

Any decent golf shops around here? :mrgreen:

What is the suburb (city centre) called??? I'm looking for an ATM machine and can't find a familair name.
http://www.bendigobank.com.au/public/about_us/locator.asp?display=list&feature=all&state=nsw

Thanks... :)

cazandpaul
28th February 2006, 03:17 PM
Given that list there are no Bendigo branches in the city and you are in the city not the burbs - Circular Quay is where the first European settlement occurred and you will be a couple of minutes from both the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.

Haven't been into the City in a few years (Mum and Dad are in the burbs) so can't comment on golf shops but there is plenty to do.

Have a great time.

brad
28th February 2006, 03:21 PM
Where in Circular Quay are you staying? - Anyway, this is the edge of the CBD. No river, just a way out the heads to the ocean. Not really any great golf shops in the city that I know of. Others may be able to contradict me there.

The CBD is the city centre. Circular Quay is one of 5 spots in the city on the City circle train line and the entire CBD is accessible.

Hmmm .. none of the names on the link are too close. Does you bank have affiliated banks that you can use (e.g. Westpac, Citibank, St George)?

Someone with better skills on this board than me should be able to put up a UBD picture of the CBD for you to view....anyone?

Grunt
28th February 2006, 03:23 PM
Thinking about accomodation on the quay, are you at the Park Hyatt? I think that is the name, right on the water just between the Harbour Bridge and the ferry wharves.

There are heaps of ATM's around many of the big banks are there plus alot of independant ones too. You should not have a problem because it is really a sort of tourist starting point for Sydney.

connico
28th February 2006, 03:25 PM
ummm not many golf shops in the cbd at all, there is one near central station... and there is a proshop and golf course in moorepark which is a about a 4-5 minute taxi drive from teh quay...

I work in the quay should be able to direct you to anything you need....

there isnt a bendigo bank in the cbd but there is on in parramatta which you can catch a ferry there and do your banking if need be...unsuggest doing net banking would be easier...

regardless if you wanna hit on the weekend i can organise something

are you staying at the new hilton??? ;) dinner is awesome there lol

amanda
28th February 2006, 03:31 PM
There is only 1 golf shop in the city and it basically sells golf balls, bags and umbrellas - no demo area.

Grunt
28th February 2006, 03:34 PM
Are there any on the north side of the bridge?

amanda
28th February 2006, 03:35 PM
Only decent one I know of is in Chatswood. You could catch the Ferry or train out to Homebush though.

connico
28th February 2006, 03:40 PM
yes there is on in in st leonards is called powergolf or something absurb...its just accoress from the station and hospital

Grunt
28th February 2006, 03:42 PM
Power GOlf is also @ Alexandria not too much of a walk from Green Square Railway station.

McMw
28th February 2006, 03:49 PM
cheers for the info and the map...

guess I could always use eftpos... :)

Not really looking to do much shopping, just asking coz Jean's gonna be free all day Thurs and Fri morning, so she's looking to have a walk around the area...

Grunt
28th February 2006, 03:53 PM
She will have heaps of place around the area to get to. A trip to darling harbour might hurt your bank balance though, tourist area shopping centre $$$$$$

amanda
28th February 2006, 04:08 PM
What about walking around the Botanic Gardens? There are also some great walks from Bondi to Coogee etc.

connico
28th February 2006, 04:19 PM
go catch a ferry to manly that should be excellent fun, go to the beach get some shopping done and have lunch there...

Grunt
28th February 2006, 04:23 PM
Ferry to Watsons Bay, Lunch or dinner at Doyles overlooking the Harbour, a Sydney must do!!

connico
28th February 2006, 04:31 PM
doyles is over rated and if your at doyles and havnt booked upstairs the wind is gonna get all the sand on your food... over rated... nice view but lol

miro
28th February 2006, 05:04 PM
Mau,

There is some dodgy information in this thread.

1. Bendigo Bank cards should be readily usable in all big 4 ATM's.
2. There is a golf shop in the middle of town (Golfmart) it is a medium sized store with clubs bags shoes etc and a demo hitting area.
3. Powergolf is at St Leonards and Alexandria -both about 10 minutes drive from the Quay. Powergolf is probably the largest golf shop in Sydney.
4. There are a couple of golf shops in North Sydney -about 5 minutes by car away.
5. YES Doyles is overrated!!

I work a block or so up the hill from where you will be staying and have access to a company car pretty much whenever I want. Always willing to go look at golf gear so if you need a lift let me know.

connico
28th February 2006, 05:08 PM
he was looking at a bank to withdraw money i think...but yes your card should be usable in any atm...esp the big 4....

O there is a golfmart in the cbd

Shop 1, King York Building,
32 York St
Sydney NSW 2000
Ph (02) 9299 3156

amanda
28th February 2006, 05:10 PM
3. Powergolf is at St Leonards and Alexandria -both about 10 minutes drive from the Quay.
that's pretty amazing - I've never made it from Town Hall (let alone CQ) to Alexandria in 10 minutes.

connico
28th February 2006, 05:11 PM
you can if you drive like me lol...iv made st leonards in 10 minutes flat :) at 4 am in the morning lol :)

miro
28th February 2006, 05:19 PM
that's pretty amazing - I've never made it from Town Hall (let alone CQ) to Alexandria in 10 minutes.

Mandy,

Alexandria is a hop skip and a jump away. Down phillip into the tunnel. Take the exit at moore park and its 5 minutes down the road. We do it from work all the time. But I accept that if you don;t have virtually direct freeway access it could take a lot longer.

miro
28th February 2006, 05:20 PM
you can if you drive like me lol...iv made st leonards in 10 minutes flat :) at 4 am in the morning lol :)

Mate St Leonards in 10 is easy. Straight into the Harbour Tunnel. Take the Willoughby Rd or Chando St exit. 1.5 km's from the exit is the golf shop. Next.

Grunt
28th February 2006, 05:26 PM
Doyles might be over rated but I bet nearly every Sydney sider has had a meal there. I like my seafood, probably the best seafood resturant in Sydney is Danny's down at La Perouse.
Resturants over rated! aren't they all?
I have never been to a good/top level resturant in Australia that has not got some part of it that you would not class as elitist or ours is better than theirs sort of attitude. or if not it is the ridiculous corkage and other fees they sting you with.
Before Tayla was born Rachelle & I were living on the beach @ Brighton and would got out for dinner every Friday night I was off, trying different resturants every time.
In the Quay the Italian resturant in the old stores on the water is really good too, I think it is called the Italian Village.

McMw
28th February 2006, 05:27 PM
cheers miro for the info...

not sure what our schedule is like with the conference...but jean and I will prob hit the streets thurs and fri night (assume it's late night shopping friday night)...

we're going on one of those boat rides friday afternoon - http://www.ozjetboating.com/

and company conference dinner at Doyles that night...thanks for the heads up on the sand!!! :lol:

connico
28th February 2006, 05:28 PM
Mate St Leonards in 10 is easy. Straight into the Harbour Tunnel. Take the Willoughby Rd or Chando St exit. 1.5 km's from the exit is the golf shop. Next.

ahh have you tried that lately??? is not as fun as it seems, traffic in the city has become a real *****, im not saying its impossible but from most locations in the city trying to do that isnt going to go well for you...

Regardless doyles, your comment about every sydney sider having a meal there i a big call...a very big call, most of the time its inaccessible...and its expensive, not as expensive and some places i frequent but expensive enough to make most western sydneysiders reconsider that choice... pancakes on the rocks is a place that most people would have heard of and visit...

Regardless late night shopping in sydney is on a thursday night.... we leave friday night open for corporate drinks and clubing...so we can club the whole weekend away....still i havnt done a fri, sat and sunday club session for a while...a very long while and im only 22 lol

miro
28th February 2006, 05:31 PM
Thursday is late night shopping.
Friday is late night drinking.

Jono
28th February 2006, 05:31 PM
Mau,

Stuff golf shops in Sydney. All overpriced. Stick to ebay ... or you can drop by 3oneday's work place ... ;)

Cafe Sydney's a good value near Circular Quay ... For predinner drinks, Q bar is good ...

Have a look here:

http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/

BTW, I'm moving to Alexandria/Redfern this week. Shoot me a PM when you are here.

amanda
28th February 2006, 05:32 PM
Late night shopping is Thursday night.

However - it's a short train ride to the swanky & posh shopping centre at Bondi Junction that has Friday night shopping.

Grunt
28th February 2006, 05:32 PM
Hey McMw,
Just enjoy Doyles,the view back over the harbour as the sun sets over the greatest harbour in the world:).
As someone who has spent a great deal of time sailing on Sydney Harbour over the years, to get the wind that blows sand off the beach at Watsons Bay onto your tables and food would be a rare occurance as it would have to be a real strong Westerly and at this time of year the wind pattern is awfully different with SE & NE the predominant wind patterns.

miro
28th February 2006, 05:33 PM
ahh have you tried that lately??? is not as fun as it seems, traffic in the city has become a real *****, im not saying its impossible but from most locations in the city trying to do that isnt going to go well for you...

I live less than 1km from that golf shop and get home in 10 minutes every day. BUT I don't travel through the city, as I am 2 sets of lights from the tunnel entrance.

brad
28th February 2006, 05:33 PM
I was thinking of saving bank fees by using an affiliated ATM - just call me tight ar$e - but if you don't care, yes any big 4 ATM should do.

Grunt
28th February 2006, 05:34 PM
Don't some place's in the CBD stay open late every night of the week?

miro
28th February 2006, 05:35 PM
Grunt,

Not really. Even Pitt St mall is dead by 7pm.

connico
yeah heaps of them lol...just sometimes you dont wanna visit them lol :)

Grunt
Regardless doyles, your comment about every sydney sider having a meal there i a big call...a very big call, most of the time its inaccessible...and its expensive, not as expensive and some places i frequent but expensive enough to make most western sydneysiders reconsider that choice... pancakes on the rocks is a place that most people would have heard of and visit...

Might be me growing up in the Eastern Suburbs and going to Watsons Bay Pub every Sunday afternoon for beers in the beer garden. I went there a few time for dinner when I still lived at home.

McMw
staying at stanfords...that's where the conference's gonna be...I think!!!

connico
28th February 2006, 05:37 PM
Might be me growing up in the Eastern Suburbs and going to Watsons Bay Pub every Sunday afternoon for beers in the beer garden. I went there a few time for dinner when I still lived at home.

agreed...i your an eastern burbs resident then these places would be common place.... still ill go out on a limb and say food wise, if your eating in sydney you need to head west for the better italian, asian, greek, indian...or ethnic food... :)

Grunt
28th February 2006, 05:38 PM
agreed...i your an eastern burbs resident then these places would be common place..

Not any more now a westy!

spent too much money on trying to be a world champion sailor.:shock:

connico
28th February 2006, 05:39 PM
Not any more now a westy!

spent too much money on trying to be a world champion sailor.:shock:

how far did you get???...i tried sailing once.....its fun till you almost drown? :(

Grunt
28th February 2006, 05:41 PM
3rd in Australian titles 1992, ran out of money
Won a Gold medal as helmsman of a 32 foot Yacht in the 1994 Police Games in the harbour

brad
28th February 2006, 05:44 PM
3rd in Australian titles 1992, ran out of money

Bummer. Is that when you took up golf? Since it's so cheap.

miro
28th February 2006, 05:44 PM
staying at stanfords...that's where the conference's gonna be...I think!!!

Mau,

If you actuall mean StaMfords (the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay on macquarie st) this is a very sweet hotel. Directly opposite the botanic gardens and a block or so from the Harbour (also 1 block from my office).

No matter what you will enjoy yourself and there enough Sydney guy around here to point you in the right direction to get/see most stuff.

And Grunt is right Doyles is worth going to for the view / ambience if not necessarily the food which is good but not great.

Jono
28th February 2006, 05:45 PM
Speaking of Pancake at the Rocks, if you are here on Sunday, it's worthwhile having a stroll through the Rocks market. A bit touristy, but fun. You can then stroll towards the Harbour Bridge and walk up the South East pylon for approx $5. Not as exciting as climbing to the top of the bridge but much cheaper.

connico
28th February 2006, 05:45 PM

my sarcasm detector is going ballistic!

Grunt
28th February 2006, 05:46 PM

It is way cheaper Brad, I sat down one day and worked out how much I had spent, I stopped when it got over 6 figures.

Also work stopped it too as I could not get enough time off to do it properly. If some of you have not already realised I give 100% or nothing at all.

brad
28th February 2006, 05:46 PM
There's also some sort of cafe near there that looks over the botanic gardens ... isn't there. Sorry it's been some time since I was in that area. Pitt street to Town hall mainly.

brad
28th February 2006, 05:48 PM
It is way cheaper Brad, I sat down one day and worked out how much I had spent, I stopped when it got over 6 figures.

Also work stopped it too as I could not get enough time off to do it properly. If some of you have not already realised I give 100% or nothing at all.

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound that sarcastic, just a little.

Damn, I had no idea sailing was that expensive. Well lucky you changed or you wouldn't be chatting to such a great bunch of people :mrgreen:

Grunt
28th February 2006, 05:52 PM
Well it is Competitive sailing that is expensive, new equipment needed very quickly, unless competing in one design classes where the initial costs are huge.

markTHEblake
28th February 2006, 06:25 PM
McMw; as Bendigo Banks ATM network is not very large, surely they have a reciprocal arrangement with another bank to use free of charge. Otherwise yuo can withdraw at any ATM and cough up whatever their standard fee is.

nearly All of the minor banks have such an arrangement, some of them have free ATM's at any bank.

anyway, Why Bendigo Bank - would have thought an International celebrity like yourself would hook up with something fancy like HSBC?

Fishman Dan
28th February 2006, 06:38 PM
There is only 1 golf shop in the city and it basically sells golf balls, bags and umbrellas - no demo area.

Golf Mart on York St, i'm sure they have room to swing a club, and PowerGolf in Alexandria. Not that you'd go there to make a purchase..

McMw
28th February 2006, 06:40 PM
anyway, Why Bendigo Bank - would have thought an International celebrity like yourself would hook up with something fancy like HSBC?

got a housing loan thru them... :mrgreen:

using HSBC here, but c'mon - HSBC is just as scarce in Australia... :smt087

marcel
28th February 2006, 06:53 PM

There are 4 branches listed in the CBD, amd more ATM's than that

amanda
28th February 2006, 07:39 PM
staying at stanfords
Nice hotel!

Very close to the botanical gardens, art gallery etc. Also down the more business end of town.

I 2nd Cafe Sydney - book a harbour view table if you can.

Also, I think it's now called the Shangrila hotel - there is a cocktail bar on the 40th floor (from memory) that does nice drinks with a spectacular view.

If you want a good Italian lunch, try Bar Xpresso - 45 Clarence Street - about 10 min walk away. Tell one of the chinese guys there that I sent you :)

amanda
28th February 2006, 07:41 PM
Golf Mart on York St, i'm sure they have room to swing a club, and PowerGolf in Alexandria. Not that you'd go there to make a purchase..
I must admit - last time I walked in there was 3 yrs ago and the place was about as big as a shoebox. I decided never to go back!

markTHEblake
28th February 2006, 10:11 PM

what do you need a branch for? counting your money box :-D

HSBC online account has free ATM withdrawals at any bank.

AndyP
28th February 2006, 10:28 PM
You don't think you are overloading him with information, do you?