PDA

View Full Version : Golf watches & the new Garmin Approach S6

yoyo
13th August 2014, 10:12 AM
First off i'm intrested in how many of ya'll wear/use some kind of Golf watch? Or whether it's just laser rangefinder or even old school sextant and compass styley ?

The Garmin Approach S6 has just been released and looks pretty sharp

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/golfing/approach-s6/prod138810.html

There has been a fair bit of banter on GolfWRX about it, with some members only just taking delivery of the first ones.

My main concern with it is, how many Australian courses are actually available on it ??

Anyone used any of the older generation Garmin golf watches ?

s12raider
13th August 2014, 01:26 PM
I'd like to take a wait and see approach. I like it but bloody exy for what it's packaged up with. How easy is it to load and edit courses etc.

WeekendHacker
13th August 2014, 02:06 PM
Currently 1026 courses available in Aus. List of courses available http://sites.garmin.com/clsearch/courses?lang=en&country=AU

I know at my course there are a few small discrepancies of around 5 - 10 metres on a couple of holes but all in all it has been pretty much on the mark when comparing distances shown when measuring with a rangefinder.

Courses are maintained by Garmin. You can send through where you think there is an error or when there are changes to a course or to request a new course to be added and Garmin will look into it but at their discretion.

I was given mine from a supplier at work and never though I would actually use one but being someone who plays in the first group on a Saturday when it is foggy in winter it is great. Also found it a help on courses where you cannot see the target. For me its more of a compliment to the rangefinder rather than a replacement.

live4golf
13th August 2014, 02:08 PM
I have a Garmin S4, works great and I use it much more than the handheld one I had.

LarryLong
13th August 2014, 02:32 PM
I have a Motorola Motoactv, which is discontinued but you can still pick them up cheap here and there. I've only ever found one or two courses that aren't on it (I think it uses one of the android apps - skydroid from memory) and as an added bonus you can use it for a fitness tracker if you run or cycle.

The only downside is that it only does yards, but the conversion isn't hard.

Ferrins
13th August 2014, 02:35 PM
I use a S1 upgraded with pulse caddy. Basically it now reads fluctuations in my pulse and adjusts yardage readings to compensate for my highs and lows.

yoyo
13th August 2014, 02:51 PM
Rectally?

yoyo
13th August 2014, 02:52 PM
The S6 doesn't seem expensive to me, for what you get. Coming from triathlon not much seems expensive, maybe sailing, but that's about it.........

wizard_of_oz
13th August 2014, 02:53 PM
Had a S1 before, it was okay for general yardage but not that helpful because it doesn't take account pin position etc. Rangefinder more useful by far in my opinion.

mrbluu
13th August 2014, 03:16 PM
Rectally?

Not at first but he paid extra for the upgrade....:mrgreen:

hippo10
13th August 2014, 03:28 PM
Seems to have a swing training feature which would probably make it illegal for comp play?

yoyo
13th August 2014, 03:33 PM
Seems to have a swing training feature which would probably make it illegal for comp play?

Correct

rodders
13th August 2014, 07:01 PM

I was wondering exactly the same thing. Could not find anything about it when having a look on net. I could see no reason why it would not be banned as it is a tempo guide albeit after the event. Even if could turn off function it would be the same as the bushnell I got with slope function. You could turn off slope but it was still illegal for comp.

Archi
19th November 2014, 01:27 PM
Just got given a S6 for my turning into an old man 50th B'day from my kids - not sure that i will actually use it though - already have the Bushnell V3
( Nice thought but wish they had asked me first , can think of a lot better golfing products to blow $500 on )
anyone using the S6 - thoughts ?

highballin
19th November 2014, 08:03 PM
Recently purchased a bushnell neo x watch $139 does everything I need and has big numbers which are easy to see.

Front Centre Back all I need. Does have distances to bunkers water etc. But have a range finder if I need it.

Generally very handy to have a quick look at watch to see what I have to centre. If not sure of pin pos get the range finder out.

oldracer
17th December 2014, 03:01 PM
Recently purchased a bushnell neo x watch $139 does everything I need and has big numbers which are easy to see.

Front Centre Back all I need. Does have distances to bunkers water etc. But have a range finder if I need it.

Generally very handy to have a quick look at watch to see what I have to centre. If not sure of pin pos get the range finder out.Have had my last couple of games with a mate that wears a GPS watch which just gives him to centre of green and of course I get out the laser and check the distances. In general there may be 4 or 5 metres diff relating to pin position, asiff that's going to make any difference to me..... so for all my friggin around pulling the laser in and out of the bag, I'm thinking a neo X would be just the thing

goughy
18th December 2014, 02:01 PM
I'm kind of wondering if I could do something like this with my garmin Fenix watch. Say pinpoint the center of the green of each hole on a course then mark the gps point of each and send to my watch. Obviously wouldn't get any other info, but I'm not exactly the most accurate. Have to ask on the Garmin forums about this!

yoyo
18th December 2014, 02:22 PM
GCO have the garmin S3 for $198 for today only

oldracer
18th December 2014, 02:31 PM
couldn't see the S3 on their site Yoyo but they did have the S2 for that money

Archi
18th December 2014, 07:38 PM
used my s6 twice now , wore it one whole game and then for 3 holes but just can't handle wearing a watch whilst golfing.
Ended up strapping it onto my buggy handle - which worked pretty well and really only pulled out the V3 about 4-5 times , just relied on the centre of green distance

yet to try the swing trainer or tempo functions

Sydney Hacker
18th December 2014, 07:50 PM
Are you allowed to wear the S6 in comp when it has those functions?

yoyo
18th December 2014, 08:40 PM
couldn't see the S3 on their site Yoyo but they did have the S2 for that money Yeh was in their mailer if youre onntheir mailing list, and also in store.

yoyo
18th December 2014, 08:41 PM
For today only, and also from boxing day by the sounds of it.

oldracer
18th December 2014, 08:45 PM
For today only, and also from boxing day by the sounds of it.thanks for that

oz
18th December 2014, 09:30 PM
S6 not legal for competition golf. Swing trainer, and directional aid make it illegal. I wanted one, but bought the S4 instead. Love it.