PDA

View Full Version : Reading Greens

AndyP
28th February 2006, 02:13 PM
How much effort do you put into reading greens?

Besides looking at the line that my ball needs to take to get in the hole, I like to have look around at the general landscape, to see where the slope is going apart from the green . I may also take into account any water that may be around. Especially when I'm having trouble determining the line of a putt.
I also like to look at the line looking back uphill, as I find it harder to read when looking downhill.

One thing I don't do is take any notice of the grain. Azza made a comment to me about the grain on one of the greens at Gailes, that he said was quite often affected by the direction of the grain. This is not something I've ever really looked at (isn't there enough to process?).
Also, how much influence does the length of the grass have on the turn?

Tell us what you do, and maybe pass on some tips.

brad
28th February 2006, 02:25 PM
I like to look at the putt from behind the ball to the hole, from behind the hole looking back at the ball and from the low side, side-on (if there is one). I try to do at least one of these on my way onto the green for the first time so that I don't hold up play too much.

I also watch anyone chipping onto the green or putting before me for speed. I don't know much about grain either, but I think watching speed if you can from two different directions may help....:smt102

amanda
28th February 2006, 02:42 PM
I never used to read short putts - and they always went in. I started reading short putts a few months ago and now they never go it! So starting this Saturday, anything within a foot I'm just going to step up and putt!

I follow the same sort of routine as brad (since he taught me about this sort of stuff)

connico
28th February 2006, 02:58 PM
i read an article in golf digest once suggesting that your first impressions of the green and the line is most of the time right, you just need to practice the feel of the putt...thats what im working on now....i dont read the putt generally, i walk up to my ball and by the time i walk up i already have a line iv chosen

Grunt
28th February 2006, 03:01 PM
Well I have heard that here in Sydney that most of the greens here are not effected by grain due to the types of grasses on them.

AndyP
28th February 2006, 03:02 PM
Dr. Bob believes in going with your first instinct too. However, you should have a look so you can be confident and confirm that initial read.

McMw
28th February 2006, 03:06 PM
i read an article in golf digest once suggesting that your first impressions of the green and the line is most of the time right, you just need to practice the feel of the putt...thats what im working on now....i dont read the putt generally, i walk up to my ball and by the time i walk up i already have a line iv chosen

in the breaking 100-90-80-70 instructions for GD...the guy basically said you need all the information in the first 5 seconds of reading the line-putt...

any other information you get after that will contradict your initial read...

depending on the green you play on (bent or bermuda) - you'll probably won't need to pay that much attention to the way the grass lays on bent - but you sure do on bermuda!!!

best tip I've learnt for putting on Bermuda is to have a look at the cup and read the break from there...one side of the cup will be green and the other side will be brown - coz of the way the grass grows...
this will give you an indication of the break 2 ft away from the hole...

Courses in SEA are now using Bermuda grass (RPITA) and i believe many of the courses up north in QLD would be using Bermuda too...

cazandpaul
28th February 2006, 03:24 PM
Knowing how to read the grain will reinforce your initial instincts - there are a couple of pin positions at Burleigh where the grain overides what your eyes would have you believe.

McMw's tip above is what Caz and I do.

Jarro
28th February 2006, 03:27 PM
i actually believe getting the speed of the putt right is more important than the line ... gotta give it a chance to fall into the hole. I now foucus on the back of the cup and try and picture the ball hitting it.

Grunt
28th February 2006, 03:33 PM
As some of you that have played with me would know, I feel my putting is probably the strongest part of my game. Sure I have days where I have had 40 putts but most days now I putt in the low 30's. As soon as I get the speed correct lots of my putts drop. I find that one look for break and then just concentrate on roll reqd to hit back of the cup works for me. My home course has lots of break on most greens and it seems the subtle breaks are more often than not the putts I miss.

Moe Norman
28th February 2006, 03:36 PM
if I'm confident in my putting stroke I'll do my usual process to read the green. If my putting stroke is off I'll have a look and take first instinct as I generally can;t get it on the line I wanted to anyway.

AndyP grain is a massive factor on greens in QLD, noit just for puts but for chips as well, going into the grain your chips will pull up big time.

haven't you ever heard the southerners complaining about our grainy greens? a solid grain can hold a putt straight on a slope, pretty important stuff...

3oneday
28th February 2006, 03:40 PM
Nah, just get a new putter.....

terryand
28th February 2006, 04:06 PM
Every putt under 6 foot is straight if you hit it hard enough.

Reading grain is an art,one that i admit I haven't mastered yet.

Terry.

markTHEblake
28th February 2006, 04:09 PM
How much effort do you put into reading greens?

from the sounds of all that you got no right having a go at AndyLo for slow play.

One look from behind the ball, line it up, no practice strokes and hit it.

BTW to read the grain look in the hole. If it is a grainy grass one side of the hole will have a sharp edge, the other side will have a rounded edge.

AndyP
28th February 2006, 04:14 PM
from the sounds of all that you got no right having a go at AndyLo for slow play.
Takes longer to type than actually do.

Landscape and green slope can be looked at when approaching the green. Most can be done while others are putting.

brad
28th February 2006, 05:40 PM
As I have have no real experience with grain. Can someone tell me whether the grain will always be going the same way, or does the grass follow the sun meaning that the grain will also change?

Flowergirl
28th February 2006, 05:44 PM
I never used to read short putts - and they always went in. I started reading short putts a few months ago and now they never go it! So starting this Saturday, anything within a foot I'm just going to step up and putt!

I follow the same sort of routine as brad (since he taught me about this sort of stuff)

This has become my problem on short putts Many. I'm reading borrow on them that just aren't there. Just hit the little #$%^ into the back of the cup. Easy!!!
When I first started playing with a few girlfriends we used to have "champagne putts" - if you missed anything less than the length of your putter shaft ( sans grip) you had to shout a glass of champagne. It's amazing how good we got with those putts. Mmmmm gotta remember this for tomorrow.
And yes I agree.....your first instinct is usually right - just like in Trivial Pursuit. You gotta have faith, faith, faith.....:p

goughy
28th February 2006, 05:48 PM
Putting is one of the worst areas of my game. When I get out in future I'm just gonna take a look as I walk up to the green and try to use only my guess. All the looking and worrying about it was giving me a headache. And I don't putt any better for it.

markTHEblake
28th February 2006, 06:16 PM
As I have have no real experience with grain. Can someone tell me whether the grain will always be going the same way, or does the grass follow the sun meaning that the grain will also change?

no. cant tell you, doesnt always go the same way.

Grain will lean towards the water, low ground, afternoon sun, or whatever, depending on the grass or the course. Just look at the hole.

McMw
28th February 2006, 06:30 PM

if ur greens are bent grass - no need to worry bout the grain...they're SMOOTH!!!

mike
28th February 2006, 09:33 PM
I only look at the line from behind the ball.

Never look from the hole back to the ball or from the side. Too much info.

Trung
1st March 2006, 08:29 AM
My way of putting is simple... I hit & hope...

Jarro
1st March 2006, 08:51 AM
My way of putting is simple... I hit & hope...

so we've noticed :p

Stoney
1st March 2006, 08:57 AM
Putting is all about have a good "consistent" stroke and a whole lot of confidence.

I agree that grain is critical on longer putts but this is mainly for picking speed more so than line. Should not be a major factor on shorter putts.

As has been said above, start reading the green as you approach, you will see the grain (if the sun is out) as you walk to the green.

If you stand behind your ball and the grass appears shiny, the putt is down or across the grain, if it is dull you are into the grain.

Checking the hole will also help, the rougher edge of the hole is your guide to where the grain is going (at the hole that is) no green I have ever seen has all of the grain running the same way.

The rest of reading a putt is gut feel and common sense, only you can see the putt in your mind, only you know how hard you will hit the ball. 10 people will often pick ten lines for the same putt.

One last comment, holing short putts is the key to good scoring, six feet in. Practice these as much as you can and you will improve your score and reduce the number of 3 putts.

Virgal_Tracy
1st March 2006, 02:43 PM
PArtially OT but the best bit of advice I have been given on putts is that if you are putting across a slope always aim high.

If you are high your putt is always feeding into the hole, if you are low then you are moving away from the hole.

Easier said than done.

Bruce
17th October 2006, 04:40 PM
I think it's timely for me to bump this given the Champs are going to be my first experience with Bermuda greens after a lifetime of poa and bent grass.

Are all 4 of the venues going to be bermuda? If so, I could certainly use a bit of advice on how to deal with this 'grain' caper. Can my playing group for Nudgee please be on notice that I might need to be shown the difference between dark and shiny, round and smooth if they are not completely self evident.

Oh God!! I'm going to win the worst putter award.

Fishman Dan
17th October 2006, 04:43 PM
Be the ball.

Choppa
17th October 2006, 05:00 PM
Geez Bruce, I don't read greens well enough for grain to make any difference to the outcome of my putts.
Maybe this is the secret I have been missing all along..........nah I just suck.

dc68
17th October 2006, 05:13 PM
Shit how the hell would we know?

Jarro
17th October 2006, 05:18 PM
Bruce, just pay close attention to the putt from whoever goes first :roll:

AndyP
17th October 2006, 05:19 PM
I don't take notice of type of grass/grain or where the sun is, Bruce.

Eag's
17th October 2006, 06:00 PM
I don't stuff around to much on the greens I just try and spot the break, step up and hit it :smt002

For some reason since I swapped to left hand putting I am finding it
easier to spot the correct break. It must just suit my eye better :-D

I try to concentrate more on speed like some have already said.
Also picturing the ball falling into the hole helps me a lot on shorter putts.

BrisVegas
17th October 2006, 08:34 PM
Are all 4 of the venues going to be bermuda? If so, I could certainly use a bit of advice on how to deal with this 'grain' caper. Can my playing group for Nudgee please be on notice that I might need to be shown the difference between dark and shiny, round and smooth if they are not completely self evident.

The grain is usually pretty obvious Bruce. If you can't see it, then there is no obvious grain, so it's not a factor.

Basic rule is if it's shiny (with the grain), the putt will be fast and break less. If it's darker (against the grain), the putt will be slower and break more.

If your putt is across the grain, it will either accentuate or reduce the break.

Simple. Just don't ask me to show you how it's done! These days I just "talk" a good game.

goughy
18th October 2006, 05:50 AM
All I've been doing lately to read greens is have a look from just behind the hole and determine how it's gonna break at the hole. Then a walk back to my ball, get the roughest of ideas of the overall break and hit it. By only really worrying about the break at the hole I feel less pressure to get it right. Then I worry more about the weight of the putt. At least then if I'm a bit off with the break at least I'm still close.

brad
18th October 2006, 01:28 PM

I think you have a few NSWelshmen to compete with here. You'll be fine ;)