PDA

View Full Version : Termite Chemical Barriers Pros & Cons

Eag's
11th August 2014, 02:44 PM
Hi guys, I am looking for info on termite protection for our place. Are chemical barriers the way to go, or are there better options out there?
I know chemical barriers can be very pricey so any advice would be appreciated.

Captain Nemo
11th August 2014, 02:47 PM
Eags, have you already got termites, or have the neighbors/surrounding already got them.
Or are you building new?

Eag's
11th August 2014, 02:57 PM
When we bought the house just before Christmas this year (18 year old house) we were told by our building inspector there were termites in the back corner of the yard.
I know termites are in most back yards in Oz, but so far our place is termite free, I just want to keep it that way.

Captain Nemo
11th August 2014, 03:19 PM
Ive never done it or needed to, but the inlaws did something like this :
http://www.amalpest.com.au/Termites/YourOptions/TermiteTreatments/TermiteBarriers

They had neighbours who when they started building and stirred up termites.
He did it himself....seems like it has worked pretty good so far.

Jarro
11th August 2014, 03:22 PM
Eag's ... we had termites a few years ago, and as soon as i found them i called Rentokil and they came around and did a barrier spray with Termidor.

So far so good ... haven't seen any more evidence of termites since.

sol381
12th August 2014, 06:34 AM
The chemicals these days aren't nearly as strong as they were 15-20 years ago.. back then when we did houses they would last at least 10 years.. Now its just a couple of years.. Probably too late for physical barrier so chemical is way to go.. Every house that isn't off the ground really should have a perimeter spray at least every 2 years...Just find a reputable company to come out and have a look and tell you what you need...

Jarro
12th August 2014, 06:57 AM
The chemicals these days aren't nearly as strong as they were 15-20 years ago.. back then when we did houses they would last at least 10 years.. Now its just a couple of years.. Probably too late for physical barrier so chemical is way to go.. Every house that isn't off the ground really should have a perimeter spray at least every 2 years...Just find a reputable company to come out and have a look and tell you what you need...

Termidor is guaranteed for at least 10 years so we were told ??

Eag's
12th August 2014, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the advice peeps.

sol381
12th August 2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah their warranty looks good jarro so don't stress about it...I'm just saying in the old days we used products like Dursban which is banned in some countries now.. Termidoor seems to be a good product... Be vigilant tho....keep all dirt below weep holes and keep gardens and moisture away from your perimeter if you can..just because you have a chemical barrier still keep an eye on your house...

PeteyD
12th August 2014, 04:44 PM
The ones we got in the end of the carport were nasty bastards, just glad we caught them early enough before they did damage to the house. Frigging expensive to get the baiting system set up, and then it costs a motsa a year to keep it going.

AndyP
12th August 2014, 07:16 PM
I have trouble trusting these pest control guys, so I haven't had it done in the 13 years or so that I've lived in my current home.

Eag's
12th August 2014, 08:01 PM
That is a risk I am not prepared to take, AP.

Matt1979
12th August 2014, 09:04 PM
Pro's no termites there are no cons