PDA

View Full Version : OEM manufactures & poor club building practices

Coldtopper
10th August 2014, 11:54 AM
Do you really know why your golf club is not performing? After last week pulling apart a new mp4 3 iron to find the shaft was not properly inserted into the head and yesterday when I opened up my driver head after it started not performing like it should to discover a pile of glue and poor binding of the faceplate, burn marks and rough internal head finishing. I wanted show others what cheap crap clubs have concealed inside. I got thedriver of Callaway direct. Just another example of mass produced crap! Always better to pull apart anything new and get them rebuilt by a clubmaker imo.......

It’s back on JDM bandwagon or tour issue from here on in for me !
Maybe others can share similar...

Captain Nemo
10th August 2014, 12:00 PM
I'm not surprised CT.
I've only ever ordered a few new sets of irons to my spec from ping so they end up made with better tolerances/checks (then had them checked by my mates at ping when they arrive in oz)
Also had some Cally x20 tours custom built when I first got serious about my golf and they where spot on.
As for other stuff Ive pulled apart and rebuilt for this very reason.

markTHEblake
10th August 2014, 02:02 PM
Just another example of mass produced crap!

Send your report to Golf Digest and the like, lets see how far it goes
(nowhere)

Coldtopper
12th August 2014, 11:47 AM
Send your report to Golf Digest and the like, lets see how far it goes
(nowhere)
I know like you it will go nowhere! But if it helps one golfer to improve by not buying crap clubs then the post was worth it!

Daves
12th August 2014, 11:51 AM
What sound does a Callaway make when it "ëxplodes"? I know from playing with Marto that Ping emit a sound a bit like its name, though I think that was possibly more the tee marker remnants rather than the club.

The one Callaway I have seen "disintegrate" was also a Tour, but in that case the front/face dettached from the rest of the club. It sounded more like an empty box being hit.

Coldtopper
12th August 2014, 12:09 PM
What sound does a Callaway make when it "ëxplodes"? I know from playing with Marto that Ping emit a sound a bit like its name, though I think that was possibly more the tee marker remnants rather than the club.

The one Callaway I have seen "disintegrate" was also a Tour, but in that case the front/face dettached from the rest of the club. It sounded more like an empty box being hit.
Something on the lines of the tooth fairy farting! Callaway golf clubs are nothing ike a empty box at least you can carry stuff in a box! Thanks for the idea I am heading to shed for an experiement!

3oneday
12th August 2014, 12:31 PM
Hard to say, I'd expect burn marks I reckon, and probably glue to be honest.

For the numbers that fail I'd expect the conversion rate to successful builds to be pretty high by comparison though?

wizard_of_oz
12th August 2014, 12:54 PM
Does burn marks, glue etc necessarily affect the performance of the club?

oldracer
12th August 2014, 01:32 PM
Callaway Big Bertha sounds like "ping" when it's cracked, mind you it had just hit a ball 320m!!!!!!

Coldtopper
12th August 2014, 01:44 PM
Does burn marks, glue etc necessarily affect the performance of the club? Yes depending on how you hit it! Glue squirted in the head. I had never used made for clubs before now I understand why.

Coldtopper
12th August 2014, 01:46 PM
Callaway Big Bertha sounds like "ping" when it's cracked, mind you it had just hit a ball 320m!!!!!! Then you went JDM.

oldracer
12th August 2014, 03:06 PM
Then you went JDM.not me mate, wish it was, I hit 100m before we got to that ball!!! but you're right, then JDM

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 10:58 AM
Watched a certain Ozgolfer hit a Yamaha 30 past his ping i25 thing yesterday. Even the bad shots travelled 20 past his best ping on the fly. An expensive hit at the range for this happy golfer!

Captain Nemo
12th September 2014, 11:13 AM
Watched a certain Ozgolfer hit a Yamaha 30 past his ping i25 thing yesterday. Even the bad shots travelled 20 past his best ping on the fly. An expensive hit at the range for this happy golfer!

Do tell.....

KristianJ
12th September 2014, 11:25 AM
Looks like someone has already started spilling beans:

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/41555-ATTAS-T3-7S-for-PING-ANSER-AHINA-70X?p=1150165#post1150165

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 11:25 AM
Do tell.....
He drinks more than "the big easy" so no guessing here L?

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 11:27 AM
Looks like someone has already started spilling beans:

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/41555-ATTAS-T3-7S-for-PING-ANSER-AHINA-70X?p=1150165#post1150165 He was banging on about not wanting to get out driven at SAB KJ.

spanner039
12th September 2014, 11:56 AM
Do tell.....

Hi Loz!!!! :D

Not much more to tell the Yammie was out there

aym
12th September 2014, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure callaway uses six sigma, so that's 3.4 component failures out of a million, your probably that 3.4 :(

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 08:14 PM
I'm pretty sure callaway uses six sigma, so that's 3.4 component failures out of a million, your probably that 3.4 :( Every OEM club that I have ever hit that wasn't a tour issue or JDM was crap!

backintheswing
12th September 2014, 08:17 PM
Every OEM club that I have ever hit that wasn't a tour issue or JDM was crap!

Have you tried the latest cobra gear Mitch? I have a set of amp cell pro forged irons with shimada tours and they feel great to me. What about the limited amp cell pro drivers or bio cell + lines in drivers?

Must say Cobra gear does it for me at the moment.

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 08:26 PM
Have you tried the latest cobra gear Mitch? I have a set of amp cell pro forged irons with shimada tours and they feel great to me. What about the limited amp cell pro drivers or bio cell + lines in drivers?

Must say Cobra gear does it for me at the moment.
You are talking about having the ultimate makeover with the shimada tours. Great shaft imo! You could paste a Keith Knox r300 on the end and they would rip. I haven’t hit any cobra gear but I get the feeling I should.

backintheswing
12th September 2014, 08:33 PM
You are talking about having the ultimate makeover with the shimada tours. Great shaft imo! You could paste a Keith Knox r300 on the end and they would rip. I haven’t hit any cobra gear but I get the feeling I should.

I have a blue bio cell + driver coming with a sort of jdm GD ad BB6. Can't wait to give it a rip.

aym
12th September 2014, 08:35 PM
Every OEM club that I have ever hit that wasn't a tour issue or JDM was crap!

Thats probably a personal preference thingy and good for you, but on the opposite side of the coin the 999996.4 of people out of every million will be extremely happy with the club :)

Captain Nemo
12th September 2014, 08:38 PM
Hi Loz!!!! :DNot much more to tell the Yammie was out there Good to hear big fella!I'm tempted to clear the decks and get on the jdm bandwagon....

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 08:43 PM
I have a blue bio cell + driver coming with a sort of jdm GD ad BB6. Can't wait to give it a rip. Nice shaft and great buy BITS. I must say I really enjoy reading about good purchases.

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 08:49 PM
Thats probably a personal preference thingy and good for you, but on the opposite side of the coin the 999996.4 of people out of every million will be extremely happy with the club :) Sorry Aym but most golfers who can sort of play would notice the difference! Not sure of your golfing ability but give a few a go before making judgmental comments.

aym
12th September 2014, 09:06 PM
Sorry Aym but most golfers who can sort of play would notice the difference! Not sure of your golfing ability but give a few a go before making judgmental comments.

My comments are based on basic manufacturing theory thats proven by manufacturing lines make producing golf clubs look like high school metal work.

I've hit honma clubs that I was told are worth over 5k a club .. craftsmanship no doubt was second to non, but not sure if performance was any different than my Nickent back in days..

Again respecting your views, just not convinced that based on millions of golfers world wide who uses OEMs clubs and they all are crap.. I am quite happy to bet some money that 99.999% of low hcp will not gain a single stroke by moving to JDM or Tour issued through performance, placebo maybe.

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2014, 09:37 PM
I'm happy with my i20's they are a solid club and definitely don't feel harsh. Mp68's turned up today and I went down for a quick hit and they feel nice but not sure they will kick the pings out of the bag.

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 09:47 PM
My comments are based on basic manufacturing theory thats proven by manufacturing lines make producing golf clubs look like high school metal work.

I've hit honma clubs that I was told are worth over 5k a club .. craftsmanship no doubt was second to non, but not sure if performance was any different than my Nickent back in days..

Again respecting your views, just not convinced that based on millions of golfers world wide who uses OEMs clubs and they all are crap.. I am quite happy to bet some money that 99.999% of low hcp will not gain a single stroke by moving to JDM or Tour issued through performance, placebo maybe.
There is a massive difference between OEM, JDM & Tour Issue equipment I would 100% guarantee that most golfers would see improved performance. I have never meet, seen or heard of any good player that uses OEM standard equipment ! Give one a go if you get chance.I think you will be surprised

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 09:52 PM
I'm happy with my i20's they are a solid club and definitely don't feel harsh. Mp68's turned up today and I went down for a quick hit and they feel nice but not sure they will kick the pings out of the bag. 68's OWAG? wow thats sort of like comparing a Hyundai with bad girl stickers to a Sandman with love heart windows?

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2014, 09:52 PM
There is a massive difference between OEM, JDM & Tour Issue equipment I would 100% guarantee that most golfers would see improved performance. I have never meet, seen or heard of any good player that uses OEM standard equipment ! Give one a go if you get chance.I think you will be surprised

KJ Choi is famous for visiting golf store and buying off the rack clubs.

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2014, 09:54 PM
mmm sandman:)

chappy1970
12th September 2014, 09:54 PM
68's OWAG? wow thats sort of like comparing a Hyundai with bad girl stickers to a Sandman with love heart windows?

Mitch I think there'd be members who have no idea what a Sandman is

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2014, 10:01 PM
I think Nissan would be a fairer comparison in your analogy ct. I wouldn't be seen dead in a Hyundai;)

aym
12th September 2014, 10:07 PM
Mitch I think there'd be members who have no idea what a Sandman is

had to google it...

chappy1970
12th September 2014, 10:08 PM
Australian institution yang

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2014, 10:10 PM
Were pretty awesome in the day.

TheNuclearOne
12th September 2014, 10:13 PM

You're just havin' a laff now :D

aym
12th September 2014, 10:13 PM
Australian institution yang

My uncle had a kingswood.. probably the oldest car I can remember been only 5-6yr old at the time...

chappy1970
12th September 2014, 10:15 PM
My uncle had a kingswood.. probably the oldest car I can remember been only 5-6yr old at the time...

Yang a Kingswood was my first car, HQ station wagon to be precise

pauly
12th September 2014, 10:24 PM
you buy your cars from a coach builder too?

aym
12th September 2014, 10:33 PM
Yang a Kingswood was my first car, HQ station wagon to be precise

Great memories for me too, love sitting up the front between my uncle (in law) and his dad.

Coldtopper
12th September 2014, 10:35 PM
You're just havin' a laff now :D Thanks for the reminder TNO just went to top up but the second bottle is empty!

talbo
12th September 2014, 10:47 PM
HT Belmont was my first car.

OT, I was talking to a club builder today who told me that only the guys on the major tours get access to tour van custom builds. He pulls down off the rack OEM gear for staffers and re-builds to exact specs.

yoyo
12th September 2014, 11:14 PM
Define 'good player'

oldracer
12th September 2014, 11:30 PM
Wow, I'm oldenuff to have owned a Sandman, never got a sniff in it but!!!!

oldracer
12th September 2014, 11:32 PM
KJ Choi is famous for visiting golf store and buying off the rack clubs.Miuras but OWG

oldracer
12th September 2014, 11:35 PM
I have a blue bio cell + driver coming with a sort of jdm GD ad BB6. Can't wait to give it a rip.my young'un got his Bio cell + with X stiff and reckons it absolutely goes nuts, thanks KJ, playing with him tomorrow so hopefully it goes wayward!!!!

oncewasagolfer
12th September 2014, 11:49 PM
Miuras but OWG

He uses just about everything, g15, i25....

Coldtopper
13th September 2014, 08:27 AM
Define 'good player' Someone who can hit it! You know the guys that can play or not you look at their action and you can tell! The ability to shot 5 under maybe a starting point. Or a player that can or has broken 290 IMHO. You have to be able to play to break 300!

yoyo
13th September 2014, 12:13 PM
So every player out there with a h'cap of 5 or less doesnt have a single oem club in their bag ?

spanner039
13th September 2014, 04:57 PM
We're talking + handicaps 5 handicappers are a dime a dozen these days.

990B Luva
13th September 2014, 06:54 PM
You talking about breaking 290/300m Coldtopper? Because being able to hit the ball that far doesn't mean you can back it up on the rest of the course.

sms316
13th September 2014, 06:59 PM
Maybe he is talking about playing pennant in a division that doesn't have 8 markers running around?

Lucasto23
13th September 2014, 07:21 PM
Maybe he is talking about playing pennant in a division that doesn't have 8 markers running around? Shaun, very clever post ;) and he is talking about over 4 rounds boys

Coldtopper
13th September 2014, 07:26 PM
Maybe he is talking about playing pennant in a division that doesn't have 8 markers running around?Pennants it is SMS off handicaps? How funny would that be? When breaking 300 is hitting it 290m! Is stock a hosel then

sms316
13th September 2014, 07:29 PM
Pennants it is SMS off handicaps? How funny would that be? When breaking 300 is hitting it 290m WTF! Handicap pennant is not pennant mate.

spanner039
13th September 2014, 07:32 PM
Handicap pennant is not pennant mate.

Is it in the special Olympics though?

sms316
13th September 2014, 07:34 PM
You talking about breaking 290/300m Coldtopper? Because being able to hit the ball that far doesn't mean you can back it up on the rest of the course. Anyone who hits it that far and plays off higher than scratch has got to have shit for brains.

spanner039
13th September 2014, 07:37 PM
Waiting CT......................

Coldtopper
13th September 2014, 07:42 PM
Handicap pennant is not pennant mate. I like this post!
Funny shit going on here SMS! They do handicaps pennants in QLD I hear. FfS !

oldracer
13th September 2014, 07:42 PM
is this the point where we ask the Mods for the "popcorn" smiley

Coldtopper
13th September 2014, 07:46 PM
I know a guy who hits it over 300 at the range, he would be a good pennants player

Coldtopper
13th September 2014, 08:00 PM
Guess breaking the 300 is a little hard for some to comprehend then!

oldracer
13th September 2014, 08:19 PM
possibly over 54 if I'm playing out of my skin!!!!!!!

990B Luva
13th September 2014, 10:40 PM
Breaking 300 over 4 rounds would be completely dependant on where your playing. I'd be disappointed if I didn't manage it in champs this year with my current form, but at the same time it's only a par 66 course.

I suppose I'm lucky I'm not off 8 anymore (it's 7...). But anyway, back to the topic on hand, I haven't noticed a difference moving from tour issue gear to retail stuff, and my handicap has gone down since getting retail stuff with better suited shafts.

TheNuclearOne
13th September 2014, 11:13 PM
Guess breaking the 300 is a little hard for some to comprehend then!

A mate just shot 289 on an international course in a pretty serious 4 day event, just a club golfer/greenkeeper but a very good one. He uses an off the rack 913D3 with DI6, 913 3 wood, AP2 irons and vokey wedges. Of course you and i know this is a moot point ;) Sensational player for someone that doesn't overly push himself and knocks back 8-12 cans every round.

Enjoying what you add to the forum brother!

Coldtopper
14th September 2014, 07:27 AM
Breaking 300 over 4 rounds would be completely dependant on where your playing. I'd be disappointed if I didn't manage it in champs this year with my current form, but at the same time it's only a par 66 course.

I suppose I'm lucky I'm not off 8 anymore (it's 7...). But anyway, back to the topic on hand, I haven't noticed a difference moving from tour issue gear to retail stuff, and my handicap has gone down since getting retail stuff with better suited shafts.

You have cleaarly stated the reason why you wouldnt notice the difference. Do you do (Pennants) as well? At your par 66 course?
Anyway glad you are enjoying your golf. As the Australian golf market needs you and your mates!
Oneday if you hit a decent club built by a club fitter you will understand what I am banging on about. Keep up the practice !

Coldtopper
14th September 2014, 07:33 AM
A mate just shot 289 on an international course in a pretty serious 4 day event, just a club golfer/greenkeeper but a very good one. knocks back 8-12 cans every round. He is a very good slouch indeed! Anyone who can do a dozen cans a round and still play ok is no hacker. But then again the keepers of the greens are shifty bastards!

Captain Nemo
14th September 2014, 08:45 AM
He is a very good slouch indeed! Anyone who can do a dozen cans a round and still play ok is no hacker. But then again the keepers of the greens are shifty bastards!

We need a "like" button, love your last sentence CT!

Johnny Canuck
14th September 2014, 09:11 AM
300. He is clearly talking about bowling.

Coldtopper
14th September 2014, 07:34 PM
Anyone who hits it that far and plays off higher than scratch has got to have shit for brains. Whats happens when this Ozgolfer hits it 300 then buys a JDM super special so he can hit it 320! Like WTF he needs a 7 wood to assist his chipping!

990B Luva
14th September 2014, 08:27 PM
Anyone who hits it that far and plays off higher than scratch has got to have shit for brains. Pretty well known that until recently I didn't have any brains course.

spanner039
15th September 2014, 05:30 PM
Whats happens when this Ozgolfer hits it 300 then buys a JDM super special so he can hit it 320! Like WTF he needs a 7 wood to assist his chipping!

7 wood? after a dedicated one, can i borrow yours?