PDA

View Full Version : Good balls at decent price

noren
7th August 2014, 09:33 PM
Looking for balls to replace TM lethal. I know TM has the new tour preferred to replace them but can't justify paying $40+ for a dozen.

Anyone used to play lethal and replaced it with something similar or can suggest any?

Johnny Canuck
7th August 2014, 09:38 PM
A lot have moved from the lethal to the tour preferred x.

Can be had for $109 for 3 dz at golf clearance warehouse I believe.

hippo10
7th August 2014, 09:44 PM
I've gone to the Srixon z-star at $30 a box.

s12raider
7th August 2014, 09:44 PM
Or at gcw they have 3 doz grade 1 (whatever you take from that to mean) at $49 for 3doz

s12raider
7th August 2014, 09:45 PM
I mean 3dz lethals at $49

Icestorm959
7th August 2014, 10:20 PM
Srixon Z-stars, 3 dozen for $78, buy from Golfbox use the $100 off for $400 spent voucher, works out to be about $20 a dozen for brand new top quality full urethane balls.

Gamed them over the last couple of weeks and definitely performed up to expectation.

backintheswing
7th August 2014, 10:34 PM
Bluu balls had a good price on b330s balls today

mrbluu
7th August 2014, 10:37 PM
Bluu balls had a good price on b330s balls today

Only one box mate and that was for u.

Coldtopper
7th August 2014, 10:42 PM
I made the switch to b330's ! A better ball than the lethal imo!
I recall selling pro V's and hogan's for 80 a doz a decade ago just saying.

noren
7th August 2014, 11:33 PM
I have gamed the B330-S. Not too bad but seems to come off the putter face a bit firmer than the lethal.
Haven't tried the Z-Star, maybe I grab a sleeve and give them a good. Maybe just my imagination but always felt that Sirxion ball are heavier.

CT - $80 a box, yeah just crazy.

Matt 3 Jab
8th August 2014, 12:12 AM
GCO have nike 20XI s balls for $22 a doz

Got myself 5 doz and I'm sure they'll be fine to game

FuzzyJuzzy
8th August 2014, 05:02 AM
GCO have nike 20XI s balls for $22 a doz

Got myself 5 doz and I'm sure they'll be fine to game

Good price for a ball that's certainly good enough to game today - even with it being the 2012 model. I loaded up on seven dozen of these at that price from GCO a few months ago and still using them:).

mrbluu
8th August 2014, 06:35 AM
http://www.golfclearanceoutlet.com.au/weekly-specials/big-ball-glove-sale-last-chance/bridestone-b330s-2012-3-dozen-pack.html

yoyo
8th August 2014, 07:12 AM
If price point is a main issue for you then Z-Stars are likely to be your best option IMO

benno_r
8th August 2014, 07:22 AM
I'll add to the consensus about the Golfbox Z-Star deal. Used them for the first time at Peregian Springs last Monday, and they were very good. Still prefer the TP, but these aren't far off.

Probably highlights that all the premo pills are pretty damn good!

talbo
8th August 2014, 08:53 AM
I made the switch to b330's ! A better ball than the lethal imo!
I recall selling pro V's and hogan's for 80 a doz a decade ago just saying.

You mean 330 or 330-S?

noren
8th August 2014, 02:06 PM
I see GCO have z star on special as well but they are 2012 vintage. Does golf balls have a used by date? Do they perform differently as they age (though still boxed)?

pauly
8th August 2014, 02:36 PM
maybe if they were a decade old?
it's not like the boxed ones in your local pro shop are fresh off the press

was under the impression http://www.golfbox.com.au/Srixon-Z-Star-XV-3-Dozen-Golf-Balls-White_p_215216.html those off golfbox were the latest?

KristianJ
8th August 2014, 02:45 PM
Still plenty of Lethals at Penny Golf Factory for $29/doz if you feel like a leisurely drive out towards the foot of the mountains.

mrbluu
8th August 2014, 03:26 PM
I see GCO have z star on special as well but they are 2012 vintage. Does golf balls have a used by date? Do they perform differently as they age (though still boxed)?

Still plenty of Lethals at Penny Golf Factory for $29/doz if you feel like a leisurely drive out towards the foot of the mountains.
Noz, if u know any local red head panthers supporter that is not adverse to a game at Cabra that can hook you up that would be awesome ;-)

Dangals
8th August 2014, 03:28 PM

hmm haven't tried the new TP balls yet but that is tempting ....

KristianJ
8th August 2014, 03:55 PM
Noz, if u know any local red head panthers supporter that is not adverse to a game at Cabra that can hook you up that would be awesome ;-)

And when would that be doable next? :D

mrbluu
8th August 2014, 03:57 PM
And when would that be doable next? :D Noren, organise a game at Cabra and the lethals will come ;-)

noren
8th August 2014, 05:36 PM
And when would that be doable next? :D
What would you prefer? Wednesday or Sunday?

sheezymaneezy
8th August 2014, 05:37 PM
A-Mart had 20XI's for $20 a box the other day when I went in.

KristianJ
8th August 2014, 05:40 PM
What would you prefer? Wednesday or Sunday?
Sunday...but wouldn't be able to get over until 24th.

noren
8th August 2014, 05:41 PM
Sunday...but wouldn't be able to get over until 24th.
No worries. Will pm time and date. Early or late [emoji2]

KristianJ
8th August 2014, 05:42 PM
No worries. Will pm time and date. Early or late [emoji2]
Probably early...

meh
8th August 2014, 06:33 PM
Callaway supersofts are great for the price (and perfect when the greens are soft)

Lagerlover
8th August 2014, 06:50 PM
Callaway supersofts are great for the price (and perfect when the greens are soft) Gold Coast Cuuntry Club have a Holden Scramble on soon if interested..

Ron Burgundy
8th August 2014, 07:13 PM
Have any of you guys tried the TM project a? Sooner or later I'll run out of lethals and being a chopper these seem to be marketed right at me.

Coldtopper
8th August 2014, 07:48 PM
You mean 330 or 330-S? The tour 330 14 is the one for me atm. They both feel similar but because feel is not important (Im a shit pitcher) I like the 330. They feel better off the flat stick imo. And when the big kahuna bomb is on they rip get a good flight when chasing one!

mrbluu
8th August 2014, 08:08 PM
Have any of you guys tried the TM project a? Sooner or later I'll run out of lethals and being a chopper these seem to be marketed right at me.

Yes and they are a cheap 3 piece ball, nothing like the lethal or any premo ball

talbo
8th August 2014, 08:08 PM
Cheers, will have to give it a go sometime soon.

meh
8th August 2014, 08:16 PM

They are ok, but you would definitely be better off getting the tp for a little more. That said, they are still better than a 2012 bridgestone!

Ron Burgundy
8th August 2014, 08:25 PM
Nice one. Thanks for the heads up.

armitage
10th September 2014, 10:25 PM
B330 or the Z-stars.

3oneday
10th September 2014, 10:42 PM
Have any of you guys tried the TM project a? Sooner or later I'll run out of lethals and being a chopper these seem to be marketed right at me.used one of these satdy, I quite liked it. My mate had grabbed some for $23 a dozen but didn't like them. I'd happily use them.

Daves
11th September 2014, 06:38 AM
I got given some Callaway Supersofts to try. Quite liked them, certainly very soft, plenty long and seemed to spin enough to be useful around the greens.

Waddzy
11th September 2014, 09:31 AM
I got given some Callaway Supersofts to try. Quite liked them, certainly very soft, plenty long and seemed to spin enough to be useful around the greens.
I have a dozen sitting in my car from scramble day , I didn't even think to try them as generally you get some sort of rock on those days given to you. May have to give one a whirl..

Daves
11th September 2014, 11:01 AM
I have a dozen sitting in my car from scramble day , I didn't even think to try them as generally you get some sort of rock on those days given to you. May have to give one a whirl..

Yep, got mine from a Scramble as well and thought the same. These are super soft as per their name, and very low compression apparently. They actually mark up a little easier than my normal ball, but otherwise the feel is very good.

hippo10
11th September 2014, 05:35 PM
I was very surprised with the supersofts. Actually a nice ball to use from a scramble day!

noren
11th September 2014, 07:48 PM
Been meaning to try them too, but have stocked up on the TM lethal. Got a couple box of the TM tour preferred x at a decent price via alla golf box voucher. Hopefully by the time I run of my current supply the TM tour preferred isn't too expensive.

nadg63
11th September 2014, 08:45 PM
I was very surprised with the supersofts. Actually a nice ball to use from a scramble day!

Hmmm, I got a couple of sleeves of those at a Scramble, better look for them and give them a go!

Ferrins
11th August 2015, 07:53 PM
So what is the value premium ball atm?

Wenz
11th August 2015, 08:26 PM
I may be a little bias, but for $39 per doz. The Taylormade TPx is a great ball.
Ever since the dollar went to shit, it's bumpes up the price of balls drastically.

Wenz
11th August 2015, 08:28 PM
That $39 is current DG price, you could get stuff cheaper through golfbox using codes from this site.

mrbluu
11th August 2015, 08:32 PM
TM TPx or TP balls are my favorites. Lethals are good too if u can still get them.

aussieashley
11th August 2015, 08:58 PM
+1 for the TM TPx
2doz for $85 on GolfBox. Grab 4 doz for $170 and use a $30 off $150 code = $140. $35/dozen.

Hutchy
11th August 2015, 09:43 PM
New for the market.

Check out vice golf, more you buy less they get, good as titleist, designed in germany and sold world wide with no middle man.

Direct from company, ship $7 for 4 doz, outstanding ball @ any price.

rick3003
12th August 2015, 11:17 AM
I'm using Q star at the moment and to me they go as good as most balls, they are lower spin and seem to fly straighter... They still stop on full shots just need to get used to a little roll out when chipping.
$49 for 3 dozen is hard to beat

Matt 3 Jab
12th August 2015, 11:49 AM
I'm using Q star at the moment and to me they go as good as most balls, they are lower spin and seem to fly straighter... They still stop on full shots just need to get used to a little roll out when chipping.
$49 for 3 dozen is hard to beat

Thinking of giving these a go. Can you back them up if needed?

Ferrins
12th August 2015, 11:53 AM
Got to say I'm a Srixon soft feel fan

rick3003
12th August 2015, 12:26 PM
Thinking of giving these a go. Can you back them up if needed?
I wouldn't say they back up, more hit and stop... really underrated ball and longer than a z star...

driftn69
12th August 2015, 12:32 PM
Has anyone tried the Callaway Diablo tours on sale at Golfbox atm. The reviews seem to be really good but $49 for 3 dozen says otherwise for a tour ball.

mrbluu
12th August 2015, 02:33 PM

Are they the same as Q Stars?? Golfbox have them very cheap.

Here is the website for Penrith Golf Factory if you want Lethals. http://www.thegolffactory.com.au/shop/

Ferrins
12th August 2015, 02:40 PM
Q Stars are crappola.

mrbluu
12th August 2015, 02:44 PM
Q Stars are crappola.

They also have Z Stars for $26

Ferrins
12th August 2015, 03:05 PM
They also have Z Stars for $26

I don't see that.

Matt 3 Jab
12th August 2015, 03:05 PM
2014 model. Good price really

hippo10
12th August 2015, 03:39 PM
I'm liking the TM project (a) for $30/dozen. I can't really tell any difference between them and the TM TP.

wizard_of_oz
12th August 2015, 04:38 PM
Q Stars are crappola. Tend to agree, and this applies to most of these 2 piece cheap balls. They don't check on shots around the green so it's pretty useless for tight pins or if you're short sided. Full approach shots are fine, they land near where the pitch mark is, but definitely no spin back.

Ferrins
12th August 2015, 04:49 PM
I enjoyed playing a tour preffered the other day.

Hatchman
12th August 2015, 07:11 PM
I'm liking the TM project (a) for $30/dozen. I can't really tell any difference between them and the TM TP.

Just bought some to try. I hope to be reporting the same thing after use.

Been using ProV's from club winnings and have 2 TPX's left from a doz bought in Feb. TPX is good but I don't think they are as good as the Penta 5's or maybe that's just perception as I was striking it much better back then.

markTHEblake
12th August 2015, 09:58 PM

These things spin more than the old balata's used to.

Daves
13th August 2015, 08:47 AM

GCO have them for $45 for 3 doz.

Ferrins
13th August 2015, 08:57 AM
Just checked and they're suited to a mid to high handicapper so no good to me.😀

KristianJ
13th August 2015, 09:10 AM
The old Chrome + for $25 at the Golf Factory are also great value. I think I still have a dozen or 2 of them stashed away somewhere in the drawer of my desk where I tend to let them accumulate.

Matt 3 Jab
13th August 2015, 09:10 AM
Might have missed it but how are the chrome soft??

Bitter
13th August 2015, 09:45 PM
I am still loving the Vice Pro! Might go for the shooter next time as they are the same ball but have a cool looking gun on them.

Hutchy
14th August 2015, 04:12 PM
I am still loving the Vice Pro! Might go for the shooter next time as they are the same ball but have a cool looking gun on them.

Ah, good to see other using these already. Have you tried the pro plus yet?

Bitter
14th August 2015, 05:26 PM
Ah, good to see other using these already. Have you tried the pro plus yet?

No not as of yet? Didn't know there was such a thing? Will have a look when next ordering.

wazamac
14th August 2015, 07:00 PM
Just been to the website but can't find a pro plus. They have a sample set which sounds like a good idea for $25. Might have to give them a go when I next need some.

Hutchy
14th August 2015, 07:29 PM
The pro Plus are on the US vice site, gota send email and request. they are equivalent to Prov1x

What cap you play waza, wouldn't bother with the sample, 6 are distance balls with no spin. Pro plus are good with decent green side spin and great off the driver.

wazamac
14th August 2015, 07:45 PM
I'm off 9 but not a very long hitter by any stretch. I try and play more consistantly than length.

Hatchman
14th August 2015, 09:34 PM
No not as of yet? Didn't know there was such a thing? Will have a look when next ordering.

Did you order these through their Australian website.
What was a doz pills plus postage for the Pro's? PayPal payment?

Bitter
14th August 2015, 09:49 PM
Did you order these through their Australian website.
What was a doz pills plus postage for the Pro's? PayPal payment?

Yes from Aus website and delivered the next day. Can't remember what I paid for 2 doz but if anyone is keen on group by of 60 balls which is the cheapest rate and free postage I will put the $$$ up front and we agree on shared price including delivery out to yourselves? Let me know if keen and we can work out pricing?

Hutchy
14th August 2015, 09:55 PM
Pro plus are ideal. very good dispersion.

Hatchman
14th August 2015, 10:04 PM
Yes from Aus website and delivered the next day. Can't remember what I paid for 2 doz but if anyone is keen on group by of 60 balls which is the cheapest rate and free postage I will put the $$$ up front and we agree on shared price including delivery out to yourselves? Let me know if keen and we can work out pricing?

Going to see how these TM Project (a)'s are first.

Matt 3 Jab
14th August 2015, 10:32 PM
Bitter I'm in for balls. Prov1x or the like would be good. If not the prov1

Hutchy
14th August 2015, 11:04 PM
Mr Murray.

Vice will custom any pic you can send, I mean anything.

Bitter
15th August 2015, 06:34 AM
Bitter I'm in for balls. Prov1x or the like would be good. If not the prov1

No worries, I will see if my bro in law is keen then we don't need to send anywhere once I get them.

Hatchman
15th August 2015, 07:27 PM
Happy with the TM Project (a) today.
Course is too wet and water logged to know exactly how the pitch & chip shots are checking up.
Have to wait for dryer conditions for that.

noren
22nd August 2015, 09:41 AM
The old z star are quite good for the price though I find that I get more feedback from the tm tour preferred. However they both don't float so with the price difference I get an extra box of the z star to hit into the water.

The vice ball sounds intriguing going to check them out. Would be interested the next group buy.

oldracer
22nd August 2015, 10:12 AM
Might have missed it but how are the chrome soft??really like them, don't spin like ProV which is great for me, hold up very well and I find them great to putt with, having said all that I should be in singles but I'm not :(

Jazz18
23rd August 2015, 01:03 AM
Played with a guy today who was playing a foremost ball. Low marker. He said he couldn't tell the difference between it and pro v's so went with it. Can be had for $81 for three dozen on the foremost website.

Johnny Canuck
23rd August 2015, 01:11 AM
Played with a guy today who was playing a foremost ball. Low marker. He said he couldn't tell the difference between it and pro v's so went with it. Can be had for $81 for three dozen on the foremost website.

I tried these and quite liked them.

Hutchy
23rd August 2015, 09:45 AM

They are great J, mate (client) of mine owns the company out of Taiwan...Jeremy, very nice fella. Will be giving them a run soon.

Hutchy
23rd August 2015, 09:52 AM
Made in the same facility as vice amongst others.

Sample packs available for half doz of each.

V1 and V1X style.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd August 2015, 08:47 PM
The foremost balls look really good and for $27 a doz seem really good value!

markTHEblake
23rd August 2015, 09:07 PM
They are great J, mate (client) of mine owns the company out of Taiwan...Jeremy, very nice fella. Will be giving them a run soon. And as you said Foremost makes the Vice balls and a bunch of others. I have tried the Foremost ball and thought it was Ok. As best I can tell though, the latest ball products from Foremost are around 3-4 years old, is that about right?

KristianJ
23rd August 2015, 09:11 PM
I bought a few dozen Pro Tour X4s with some pro shop credit last year and still have a sleeve or 2. Very decent ball, although with what I have available up the road at the Golf Factory I would probably only buy more if the pro shop was selling them at the price.

Hutchy
23rd August 2015, 09:47 PM
And as you said Foremost makes the Vice balls and a bunch of others. I have tried the Foremost ball and thought it was Ok. As best I can tell though, the latest ball products from Foremost are around 3-4 years old, is that about right?

Will ask him Tomoro when back on the workline. Could be but as I said haven't used them yet, like most things Time will tell.

markTHEblake
23rd August 2015, 10:01 PM
I can't remember where I got that info from, it was a while ago, Maybe from a 3rd party review that had a date on it. Not necessarily a bad thing, for all we know the big brands that releases new model every two years may not really be new technology.

Scifisicko
24th August 2015, 09:30 AM
Yes and they are a cheap 3 piece ball, nothing like the lethal or any premo ball

ProV1 is 3 piece

mrbluu
24th August 2015, 09:32 AM
ProV1 is 3 piece
But they are not cheap and I don't use them so what's your point??

mrbluu
24th August 2015, 09:38 AM
The foremost balls look really good and for $27 a doz seem really good value!

I got some of the foremost balls when they were free. Decent ball but didn't think they went as long as a TP5 or Lethal I was using at the time. Also I think it was around $50-60posted for a dozen when the TM balls were around $30

driftn69
24th August 2015, 11:16 AM
Im still yet to loose a NIKE MOJO. Every time i have a mishit its with a TM or Callaway mid range ball. Its like i am jinxed to have to use a MOJO.

Hatchman
3rd October 2015, 11:49 PM
Happy with the TM Project (a) today.
Course is too wet and water logged to know exactly how the pitch & chip shots are checking up.
Have to wait for dryer conditions for that.

It's been dry the last 2 games at home.
The Project (a)'s have fallen short for the touch around the green that I get from the TM TPX's and ProV1's.
Will be gaming ProV1's for club champs in 2 weeks time.
Will save the remainder of the Project (a)'s for the hot moths when we let the greens get a bit longer and slower so the don't burn off.

Matt 3 Jab
5th October 2015, 01:12 PM
Seriously impressed with the Callaway Chrome Soft i played today. Best feeling ball ive played in a while as i love softer feeling golf balls but they usually spin too much. This ball went great, maybe a touch longer than the srixon z star xv, but spun as much on full shots and i feel the same around the greens, maybe 10% less, but didnt really effect my game. Great great pill which i now need to try and find as the golf club doesnt stock them

Captain Nemo
5th October 2015, 01:23 PM
I got some of the foremost balls when they were free. Decent ball but didn't think they went as long as a TP5 or Lethal I was using at the time. Also I think it was around $50-60posted for a dozen when the TM balls were around $30I agree, there are better balls to be had cheaply. Just get the premo used packs from Squizzys.

Ferrins
7th October 2015, 02:21 PM
Looking at the TM TouR Preferred, is the X the better ball?

Wenz
7th October 2015, 03:01 PM
Looking at the TM TouR Preferred, is the X the better ball?
X is far better.

Matt 3 Jab
7th October 2015, 04:16 PM
X is far better.
Agreed. The X didn't spin for me at all but

BenM
7th October 2015, 08:48 PM
I have been using the TPs for ages but they do spin quite a lot.... I don't hit it particularly high but I have jizzed a fair few balls off the front of greens. Going to buy the X next time round.