PDA

View Full Version : Jimandr v Burger Fri April14 11:13 SORRY, FULL

Jono
27th February 2006, 09:00 PM
Jim's probably just catching his breath from his close win over Amanda, but I thought I'd throw this up. Hurry up and play you two, so I can play the winner at the next Strokeplay day ... :mrgreen:

burger
27th February 2006, 09:16 PM
OK some possible dates for me . . . .
Fri March 17 @camden with Vince if I could get a lift with someone.
Sun March 26, Liverpool? - a possibility, need to check for leave pass.
April pretty open atm except around the 13th wifey's birthday.

Geez Jono, pretty keen to organise a prelim to your downfall . . . . . ;)

stu

jimandr
27th February 2006, 10:21 PM
Jim's probably just catching his breath from his close win over Amanda, but I thought I'd throw this up. Hurry up and play you two, so I can play the winner at the next Strokeplay day ... :mrgreen:

I've just sent Jono a PM about an unrelated subject, and I was perfectly sensible, reasonable and pleasant. Had I known about this post, I wouldv'e shown no restraint.

However, having seen Burger play before, and knowing that he is capable of going 10 under his handicap (or 20 over it), I must take it one game at a time, to quote a well-used cliche.

I do have an RDO saved up that I can use for a weekday fixture. If Burger wants to play at Lakeside, I'm game. I can't help with a lift though.

Liverpool on 26 March is fine by me. The only downside to Liverpool is that we can't book more than a week in advance, which usually means no vacant spots before about 11.00am, as the locals take all the good tee times.

I note in the latest edition of The Golfer that Cumberland is advertising their Sunday as an Open Day. We almost got to play there last year. Is it an Open? If so, are there any other restrictions? Does anybody know for sure?

3oneday
27th February 2006, 10:23 PM
except around the 13th wifey's birthday.what happened to the first 12 ?????

:lol:

BrisWesty
27th February 2006, 11:07 PM
what happened to the first 12 ?????

:lol:

That's why polygamy is banned in many countries. Because no man can serve two masters (or should that be mistresses).

Jono
28th February 2006, 12:16 AM
17th at Camden Lakeside it is then ... ;)

jimandr
6th March 2006, 10:12 PM
As I have posted in the Virgal v Andrew thread, I can't make the epic Friday 17th game at Lakeside.

So, Burger and I will need to find a new date. I've sent him a PM, so stay tuned.

jimandr
25th March 2006, 10:05 AM
Burger and I now have a date suitable to both of us.

We will play on Good Friday, 14 April 2006.

We don't have a venue, and many courses will have an Open Day that day. I thought the first option should be to ask our fellow OzGolfers whether they wish to host our game. Carnarvon may be an excellent option if Pinglauncher is available.

connico
25th March 2006, 03:40 PM
Can i tag along?? :) You know im always up for a game...and i think good friday i get the day off....hmmm let me see...yeah i think i do...w0ohoo!!!

Jono
25th March 2006, 04:19 PM
How do I change the title of the thread? The Edit feature doesn't seem to allow me to do that any more ...

*Edit: Never mind ... Just found out. :mrgreen:

Pinglauncher
26th March 2006, 07:51 PM
Burger and I now have a date suitable to both of us.

We will play on Good Friday, 14 April 2006.

We don't have a venue, and many courses will have an Open Day that day. I thought the first option should be to ask our fellow OzGolfers whether they wish to host our game. Carnarvon may be an excellent option if Pinglauncher is available.

I would be happy to host at Carnarvon if Jim and Burger are agreeable for Carnarvon as a venue. Our greens are almost back to their normal tip top shape and the 14th should see it in pretty good nick.

Let me know if there is some interest and I will check re the bookings.

burger
27th March 2006, 08:44 AM
Carnarvon sounds great, thanks Ping!
remember that Jim and I are not fans of early morning tee times :smt002

stu

Virgal_Tracy
27th March 2006, 02:40 PM
Put me down as a probable for this day, I enjoy playing Carnarvon even if my scores don't always reflect this. If it helps Ping I have reciprical rights for Carnarvon so wouldn't be classed as a guest technically.

Pinglauncher
27th March 2006, 03:04 PM
Assuming I can book suitable numbers at Carnarvon at the moment we have interest from

1. Jimandr
2. Burger
3. Connico
4. Virgal Tracy
5. Pinglauncher
6. Ping Jnr

Grunt
27th March 2006, 04:44 PM
Sorry can't make it am working

connico
27th March 2006, 05:28 PM
the trek back to carnarvon...where as lost golf soul looking for a course to call i passed this course up due to the expense and the multitude of asians inhibiting this course on a weekly bases..wait thats like all courses lol :)

hope i get to shot its lights out

jimandr
27th March 2006, 09:51 PM
I'm a definite starter. Looks like we have a venue. All we need is a time. I'm sure Ping can use his influence to get some good tee times.

With some of the brightest stars of OzGolf joining us, should be a great day.

Easter eggs for side bets?

Trung
27th March 2006, 10:02 PM
maybe an alarm clock should be purchased to avoid further issue with the proshop..... :mrgreen:

jimandr
28th March 2006, 09:34 PM
And you complain when the Qld'ers bring up the 3.00am phone call incident. Never forget do you?

I've been to Carny twice since then, and the second time won a ball but didn't collect it. The pro shop forgives me (I think).

I think I may have had a very good bacon & egg roll last time I was there. It really is one of the best halfway menu's in Sydney, isn't it. And for Connico's benefit, they sell beer (Cumberland didn't, last Sunday).

Jono
29th March 2006, 01:54 AM
I'll play if there is a spare spot.

1. Jimandr
2. Burger
3. Connico
4. Virgal Tracy
5. Pinglauncher
6. Ping Jnr
7. Jono

connico
29th March 2006, 09:59 AM
what are the comp fees like??? and do they take credit??

Trung
29th March 2006, 11:03 PM
And you complain when the Qld'ers bring up the 3.00am phone call incident. Never forget do you?

I've been to Carny twice since then, and the second time won a ball but didn't collect it. The pro shop forgives me (I think).

I think I may have had a very good bacon & egg roll last time I was there. It really is one of the best halfway menu's in Sydney, isn't it. And for Connico's benefit, they sell beer (Cumberland didn't, last Sunday).

3am was a prank at the champs when rules are not meant to be followed :smt002.

Proshop did, trungie have not....

jimandr
2nd April 2006, 09:24 PM
Ping,

I notice from the other thread that you were at the course today. Did you make a booking for us?

I also note your comments about the greens being sanded with slight concern. I'll play anyway, but I hope they come good in the next two weeks.

Pinglauncher
2nd April 2006, 10:54 PM
Ping,

I notice from the other thread that you were at the course today. Did you make a booking for us?

I also note your comments about the greens being sanded with slight concern. I'll play anyway, but I hope they come good in the next two weeks.

The sheets come out Friday night so I will be booking then. I think the greens should be fine in a couple of weeks.

Pinglauncher
7th April 2006, 07:29 AM
Okay, booking tonight. With 7 interested parties l go for 2 tee times.

If there is anyone else interested please put your hand up today.

Pinglauncher
7th April 2006, 07:44 PM
2 groups booked, 11:13 and 11:20 am

connico
7th April 2006, 07:45 PM
ill be there with bells on mate :)

jimandr
7th April 2006, 11:57 PM
I thought we should get the list onto the second page. I'll definitely be there.

Jono, can you alter the heading for us please?

1. Jimandr
2. Burger
3. Connico
4. Virgal Tracy
5. Pinglauncher
6. Ping Jnr
7. Jono
8. still vacant

burger
8th April 2006, 09:20 PM
2 groups booked, 11:13 and 11:20 am :-D Thanks for booking us in Ping and at a great time slot!
Looking forward to playing the champ :shock: :-D :twisted:

stu.

Pinglauncher
9th April 2006, 08:12 PM
If everyone can give me names, clubs, handicaps etc by Wednsesday night I will update the sheets on Thursday.

connico
9th April 2006, 08:27 PM
Anthony To - New brighton, 25 :twisted: (thats not my age..:-\")

jimandr
9th April 2006, 08:55 PM
I'll be communicating my age, and other vital details, via a PM to Ping shortly.

Pinglauncher
9th April 2006, 08:59 PM
I'll be communicating my age, and other vital details, via a PM to Ping shortly.

Thanks, PM's would be preferred

connico
9th April 2006, 09:00 PM
:)

Pinglauncher
12th April 2006, 07:25 AM
Okay at this stage the groups will be

11:13 Jimandr
Burger
Virgal Tracy

11:20 Pinglauncher
Ping Jnr
Connico

Not sure about Jono as I have not heard from him. There is a spot in both groups at this stage.

connico
12th April 2006, 02:48 PM
im cool with that, i dont mind getting the course tour by two vets of the course.. :)

Pinglauncher
12th April 2006, 03:14 PM
A couple of changes gents.

Tee times back a few minutes and had to change the make up of the groups as we need a Carnarvon member in each group.

11:25 am

Jimandr
Burger
Ping Jnr
??????

11:33 am

Virgal Tracy
Pinglauncher
Connico
??????

Apologies all around for the changes.

Looking forward to the day. See you all there.

connico
12th April 2006, 03:22 PM
Why is that ping??, this is a social round right or a comp round?

Pinglauncher
12th April 2006, 03:45 PM
Why is that ping??, this is a social round right or a comp round?

It's a COMP mate, a true test for your new handicap.

connico
12th April 2006, 03:54 PM
Lol, well see if its a true test lol...

Regardless is that a rule?? that you have to have a member accompany an open comp round?

Jono
12th April 2006, 03:59 PM
If everyone can give me names, clubs, handicaps etc by Wednsesday night I will update the sheets on Thursday.

Sorry I missed this thread last couple of days. Wednesday night meaning tonight, I presume? I'm still in if there is a spot on the sheet. If other Carnarvon members have taken the spots, c'est la vie. :(

I'll send you my details via PM, Ping.

connico
12th April 2006, 05:04 PM
You should be right Jono, and what ping ment was he had to adjust the groups so there was a member in each group. So he would be playing with this son :)...

You should still be able to join us

Pinglauncher
12th April 2006, 05:55 PM
Latest Groupings

Jimandr
Burger
Ping Jnr
Jono

Virgal Tracy
Pinglauncher
Connico
??????

Still one spot up for grabs boys and girls. Surely we can hustle someone up.

connico
12th April 2006, 05:57 PM
been trying to all week, but no one wants to play on friday lol...was trying to get jung, one of the young up and coming korean born junior lol :)

Grunt
12th April 2006, 06:06 PM
Would love too but I have to work, if you could cover me for the loss of money for taking a sickie you are more than welcome to. $$$$

Trung
13th April 2006, 02:00 PM
I will take the last spot....... See you all tomorrow....

Pinglauncher
13th April 2006, 02:19 PM
It's official, we are FULL

Jimandr
Burger
Trung
Jono

Virgal Tracy
Pinglauncher
Connico
Ping Jnr

connico
13th April 2006, 02:25 PM
arnt you set to leave yet trungy?

Jono
14th April 2006, 09:02 AM
ONYA, Trungie ... 8)

This is your last chance to win some money off me before you leave for the States. ;)

Trung
14th April 2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys.. had a great time today... Ping will post scores soon...

connico
14th April 2006, 05:28 PM
excellent company didnt improve the scores lol...

well thanks chris, nath and vince had a great time even though i was whinging like a *****...regardless played a few great shots and a lot of **** ones, you guys can now call me the cleaner, i wiped 6 holes today :)

Pinglauncher
14th April 2006, 06:05 PM
Okay first and foremost congratulations to Jimandr for a win in his match play against Burger :smt038

The final result I believe was a 2 up win to Jim. I believe it was a tight tussle but I will let others from that group the describe the match.

An interesting day to say the least culminating in a couple of non member gate crashers of the course being kicked out by the assistant pro. The girl driver somehow managed to reverse at high speed, lost control and hit the General Managers car. She then took off.

Our group had a bit of an up and down round.

Vince played a lot better than his last Carnarvon outing and the Bridgey saw some pretty long drives in his hands. Was the winner in our group with 35 points. Pretty nice looking Mizuno bag he was carting around today as well :cool:.

Connico, what can I say. He hits his 5 wood longer than most peoples drivers and the 7 wood is equally long :smt103. Has a very good swing and will not be off this handicap for very long. The "DRIVER" needs to stay at home.

Ping Jnr turned with 21 points spent the day sledging DAD and outdriving him most of the time :cry:. He was crook at the turn, snapped the shaft of his 3 iron hitting a tree on the tenth and never recovered. Eventual DNF with 5 holes to go.

I played solid for 9 holes for 2 up and choked my way down the stretch. Some embarrassing putting in the last few holes :smt100

Overall a great day I hope was had by all. The final results for the day are as follows :

1. Jimandr 37 points
2. Virgal Tracy 35 points
3. Trung 33 points
4. Burger 31 points
5. Pinglauncher 31 points
6. Jono 29 points
7. Connico 28 points
8. Ping Jnr DNF (26 points with 5 to play)

jimandr
14th April 2006, 06:54 PM
Indeed the matchplay score was 2 up to Jimandr. Burger played well. I had to earn my win.

It was a hard-fought and quite high quality match, particularly our second nine.

I was giving away 14 shots. A hard task against a player capable of parring every hole. There were two strange things about the start. Firstly, I'd holed two 30 feet long putts for birdie in the first three holes. Secondly, of those three holes, I won the two holes where I gave away a stroke, but lost the one in the middle where I wasn't giving away a shot.

After Stuart gave me our fourth I was two up, and we swapped holes so I stayed two up at the turn. I birdied the 1st (our tenth) for three up, I was three up again after 13, but then it got tight. I was giving away strokes on every hole up to the last.

Burger parred the next, back to 2 up. I played a bad hole to give him the next, back to 1 up. The par 3 7th, we both missed the green. Burger's chip went 20ft past. I hit a good bunker shot to 4ft. He left his putt 4.5ft short, so it was still his shot. Thriving under pressure, he holed it. I holed my pressure putt. Still 1 up. 8th a similar story, I holed a 4ft putt for par to square after Burger's putt to win stopped on the edge of the hole, so I was still one up down the last, where I didn't give away a stroke. I played a good hole to be on in regulation, then Burger hit some bad shots in a desperate effort to hole his chip shots, so I was successful in the end.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Jono didn't cheer my opponent too much, Trung was good company as always, and Burger was a pleasure to play with. Thanks to Pinglauncher for making the booking and organising the day.

The other highlight that needs re-telling. I was always confident after the 13th (our 4th) when I saw Jono - who is one of Ozgolf's dodgiest putters - giving putting tips to Burger, who appeared to be listening. What's more, a few holes later, they were doing it again. Fortunately for me, if there is one person you should not accept putting tips from, Jono is that person.

And the tips didn't seem to work.

Trung
14th April 2006, 08:41 PM
The other highlight that needs re-telling. I was always confident after the 13th (our 4th) when I saw Jono - who is one of Ozgolf's dodgiest putters - giving putting tips to Burger, who appeared to be listening. What's more, a few holes later, they were doing it again. Fortunately for me, if there is one person you should not accept putting tips from, Jono is that person.

And the tips didn't seem to work.

:mrgreen: I 2nd that...

connico
14th April 2006, 09:03 PM
i would have given some tips, my putting was that poor today lol :)

burger
14th April 2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks all for a great day of golf ! Congratulations to Jim on solid play all day and a great demonstration of putting. After the first couple of long ones dropped, I thought great Jim wont keep doing that all day, but he did!!!
I played OK, however was unable to come up with a few shots at the required times. The ones that got away were invariably chips, so I know my prime practice requirement!!!
As to the putting tips, I recently finished the Dr Rob books and was trying the feel the target style he talks about. Another thing he talks about is how well meaning friends will offer tips and how it is difficult to stay true to the path. So while I was listening to Jono, I also wasnt really . . . . no offence I hope Jono, I did appreciate the encouragement especially the Lleyton style "C'MON!!!!!" on about the 7th.
Again thanks for the game guys, well done Jim and it was a good learning experience for me to play with you single (and almost single) figure players.
As always I will look forward to my next Ozgolf outing.
stu

Jono
15th April 2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks for another great Ozgolf day. Congrats to Jim for his win in his matchplay. As the stableford scores show, he deserved to win his match.

Stu is too nice to have told me to **** off with the tips ... but I saw something in his stroke that I was/am doing in mine. Anyway, good that you didn't listen to me because my putting was back to being crap ... What can I say ... it's a work in progress. :-D

Stu chose his match to try a new driver ... hit a great one down the 1st (our 10th) but other than that, probably not as accurate as his trusty Vsteel 3wood.

Jim, the closet Ho, went out and bought a new ... I mean a second hand driver. Next time, buy from the Ozgolf Proshop mate ... You could have got it for half that price. 8)

So when do we play our match, Jim? Looks like our half of the draw is getting through nicely. Ping and Brad are playing their match soon, so I guess we should play ours around the same time.