PDA

View Full Version : Various State Champs - Prizes!?

nadg63
6th August 2014, 08:22 PM
Aimed towards the guys that organize and run the various State Championships, do you award prizes etc to the winner/winners? If so what, trophies, boxes of balls, golf stuff, wine, cash ....... !?

As we are organizing the first SA Ozgolf Champs in November just keen/interested to learn what everyone else does :)

Cheers,

'nadg'

KristianJ
6th August 2014, 08:29 PM
NSW has had a small prize fee in addition to the green fees and the like so cash can be awarded. Plus AndyP donates OZgolf dollars that can be awarded for use in the pro shop.

Plus we have trophies (perpetual for the winner as well as other small trophies for NTP, long drive, etc).

3Puttpete
6th August 2014, 08:30 PM
A bottle of your finest grape juice for interstate visitors should just about cover it.

LarryLong
7th August 2014, 10:23 AM
The Vic champs had a little bit tacked onto the fees ($20 from memory) for prizes - the usual balls and other stuff, and it seemed like a huge haul for the winners (not me though). In addition to that, Monsta made up some beautiful wooden trophies in his garage that were really impressive and gave the event a little bit extra prestige. AndyP even used one of them to pull random chicks for selfies while celebrating in the city after his win.

BenM
7th August 2014, 10:37 AM
The Vic champs had a little bit tacked onto the fees ($20 from memory) for prizes - the usual balls and other stuff, and it seemed like a huge haul for the winners (not me though). In addition to that, Monsta made up some beautiful wooden trophies in his garage that were really impressive and gave the event a little bit extra prestige. AndyP even used one of them to pull random chicks for selfies while celebrating in the city after his win.

That was pretty awesome. She just wanted a photo taken 'with the champ'.

matty
7th August 2014, 11:24 AM
Aimed towards the guys that organize and run the various State Championships, do you award prizes etc to the winner/winners? If so what, trophies, boxes of balls, golf stuff, wine, cash ....... !?

As we are organizing the first SA Ozgolf Champs in November just keen/interested to learn what everyone else does :)

Cheers,

'nadg'

Nadg,
have a look through the first page of the last year of two of every states champs. Should give you an idea. NSW traditionally has the best prizes ;)

I'd like to see Ozgolf have a dedicated commercial sellers section of the forum where the sellers pay a small %, even 2 or 3% of sales, to the site to be divvied up in cash to the states. That means better prizes, more cash and more prizes flowing down through the placings etc.

That stream of revenue coupled with the small individual prize payments would lead to some seriously good stuff and create a lot more interest in champs.

Have flagged this idea before but never seems to get commented on by those who can.

LeftyHoges
7th August 2014, 11:52 AM
VIC Champs had $6.25 paid to a prize pool per player per day. So if someone played all 4 days (we didn't count the Thursday as an official day) they paid $25 to the pool, if they only played the weekend it was $12.50, 3 days was $18.75 etc.

From that I collected around $720, which I put into a bank account collecting interest which garnered around $100 extra from the first moment of receiving deposits etc.

I divvied that up into the following (while throwing in a little cash myself):
Champs winner: $150
Runner-Up: $75
Gross: $75
Gross R-Up: $40
Putting Comp: $40
Fri Winner / R-Up: $50 / $25
Sat Winner / R-Up: $50 / $25
Sun Winner / R-Up: $50 / $25
Mon Winner / R-Up: $50 / $25
$195 worth of Lethals to cover 16 X NTP's and 4 X LD's. (A sleeve for each)
NAGA: $5
= $880 total.

AndyP also donated OZgolf vouchers on behalf of the site for winner, 2nd and 3rd.

The first year I did prizes (umbrellas, hats etc) but went with cash for this year, I think it's the better way to do it. For instance a guy in Victoria treasures an Umbrella as a prize far more than a guy from NSW or QLD.

Hope this helps nadg63, if you've got any questions feel free to ask, I'm happy to help in any way as I was in the exact same boat 2 years ago.

EDIT: And of course how could we forget monsta's fantastic hand-made trophies, certainly added the polish to the event.

Monsta
7th August 2014, 11:54 AM
Nadg,
have a look through the first page of the last year of two of every states champs. Should give you an idea. NSW traditionally has the best prizes

There goes any chance of me providing the fine handcrafted trophies (that I spend hours of my time making) for the NSW Champs at any stage in the future Matty......

nadg63
7th August 2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

matty
7th August 2014, 02:10 PM
There goes any chance of me providing the fine handcrafted trophies (that I spend hours of my time making) for the NSW Champs at any stage in the future Matty......

Why?

I don't see the connection.

Dotty
7th August 2014, 02:39 PM
The best prize is for the ACT Xmas Classic winner.

A Xmas tree made out of festively-painted golf balls (courtesy of Monsta).

Captain Nemo
7th August 2014, 02:45 PM
The best prize is for the ACT Xmas Classic winner.

A Xmas tree made out of festively-painted golf balls (courtesy of Monsta).

Loved the look of that beauty!

AndyP
7th August 2014, 08:47 PM
That was pretty awesome. She just wanted a photo taken 'with the champ'.
She would have wanted a photo with me anyway.

WBennett
7th August 2014, 09:26 PM
The best prize is for the ACT Xmas Classic winner. A Xmas tree made out of festively-painted golf balls (courtesy of Monsta). It has pride of place in with my footy trophies. And the kids love it!