PDA

View Full Version : CRICKET : S.A. Vs Australia

Jarro
27th February 2006, 05:04 AM
we lost the 20/20 international, and now the first of the 5 ODI's as well :roll:

we made 8/229 off our 47 overs (shortened due to rain) .... while the S.A boys made the runs in 37 overs.

goughy
27th February 2006, 06:07 AM
Who cares when you can't watch it on tv and can't listen to it on the radio...

3oneday
27th February 2006, 06:16 AM
we made 8/229 off our 47 overs (shortened due to rain) .... while the S.A boys made the runs in 37 overs.We were 6 for 160 at the 40 over mark when they went off, so they did well to get that many I suppose.

The wicket must have flattened out, it was doing heaps early on !!! Either that, or we bowled our usual rubbish ???

Pete

AndyP
27th February 2006, 08:53 AM
Who cares when you can't watch it on tv and can't listen to it on the radio...
Ditto. Had a very low care factor when it was on our own turf.

How good is Graeme Smith? Wanker.

Jarro
27th February 2006, 09:27 AM
i'd also like to point out that the south african crowd seemed to be sledging our boys a helluva lot more than they received when they were here.

just enforces my view that Graeme Smith is indeed a big, poncy nancy-boy :p

Bruce
27th February 2006, 10:21 AM
The bowling is looking very threadbare at the moment. They have taken 8 wickets in 2 matches over there so far and only 4 of them were earned rather than thrown away.

Smith has had a chance to work on his falling over problem since he went home by the looks . The old plan of getting him LBW early on needs to be revised.

Fishman Dan
27th February 2006, 10:39 AM
The aussie team that played that day wasn't even 2nd rate. Johnson? Lewis? No Ponting?

It's time Australian cricket started to respect the sport again..

Jarro
27th February 2006, 10:44 AM
The aussie team that played that day wasn't even 2nd rate. Johnson? Lewis? No Ponting?

didn't you forget somebody else ;)

Fishman Dan
27th February 2006, 10:40 PM
I knew Symonds was injured, didn't know that Ponting was.

Jacques being sent over as we speak - case of humble pie for the selectors? Be a shame not to send Dizzy over there, his ING Cup figures are sensational - nearly 30 wickets at 20 or something.

Jarro
28th February 2006, 06:25 AM
they should send Kaspa over as well :mrgreen:

Jacques should've gone in the first place, Katich has done bugger all and looks like a total spaz out there at the moment

Grunt
28th February 2006, 06:45 AM
You guys reckon Tait might get a go for the test series? Did any of you see his bowling in the ING cup Final on Sunday? It was awesome, 6/40 odd.

Jarro
28th February 2006, 06:49 AM
he should be there now instead of that Lewis bloke ... where the hell did he come from :roll:

Watson better start getting his $hit together soon too ... otherwise he'll be on the slow boat home.

Fishman Dan
28th February 2006, 07:02 AM
You guys reckon Tait might get a go for the test series? Did any of you see his bowling in the ING cup Final on Sunday? It was awesome, 6/40 odd.

With 14 wides. If he's the future, then be prepared for some dismal cricket.

You'd get out too with the occasional ball spearing in on middle stump, it would take you by surprise with every other nut going down leg or to 1st slip.

Jarro
28th February 2006, 07:09 AM

You'd get out too with the occasional ball spearing in on middle stump, it would take you by surprise with every other nut going down leg or to 1st slip.

i think we've seen that before mate, remember what Brett Lee used to be like :roll:

now he's our #1 strike weapon and our new great white hope. Tait will learn before too much longer.

3oneday
28th February 2006, 07:11 AM

plus his action reminds me of that frog in a blender Adams bloke, looks like he's about to have a fit everytime he bowls. Maybe that's why he gets wickets !! :lol:

Jarro
28th February 2006, 07:13 AM
all this talk just makes me wonder why the hell D.K. Lillee isn't on our coaching staff anymore.

Bruce
28th February 2006, 08:19 AM
all this talk just makes me wonder why the hell D.K. Lillee isn't on our coaching staff anymore.

I think Tait is the anti-Lillee. Remember how smooth the great man was? Tait has arms and legs going everywhere and seems to give up his momentum at the crease. If he weren't such a bull of a man he would constantly injurred. He still might be if he started bowling in test matches

Jarro
28th February 2006, 08:24 AM
Bruce, i think a little coaching from the great man would turn Tait into a lethal weapon. He's young, strong and can generate pretty good speed. He does tend to collapse a bit at the crease with the left shoulder dropping rather dramatically, but any decent bowling coach should be able to correct that.

His action actually reminds me a bit of Jeff Thomson, what with the falling away and all

Grunt
28th February 2006, 08:31 AM
McGrath just pulled out of the test tour, can't blame him but that now means a real weak bowling attack that may not give us a real chance of a series win. The South African's have already said they will build pitches that basically take Warne out of the game,

AndyP
28th February 2006, 08:36 AM
You can't take Warne out of the game. He's too good.

Fishman Dan
28th February 2006, 08:14 PM
Tait is a completely different style to Lillee - i doubt there's much he can teach him.

Jarro
28th February 2006, 08:18 PM
is that coming from the point of view of a professional bowling coach Fishy ??

Fishman Dan
4th March 2006, 06:56 AM
Let the despair begin. Australia bowled out for 96!

Jacques coming in at #3??

Poll time? Who gets the sack first - Gilchrist, Katich, or the selectors?

Bruce
4th March 2006, 07:22 AM
Batting was not root cause. When chasing too many runs a blowout like that can happen. Lose by 1 or lose by 100 is still a loss.

There's no penetration at the top of the innings and things are even worse at the death. Getting smacked around in the last 10 overs is now becoming commonplace.

And why is Shane Watson batting at 11? Isn't he the great all-rounder hope?

Things are very messed up right now.

Grunt
4th March 2006, 08:30 AM
How many did SA get?

Jarro
4th March 2006, 08:40 AM
lots more than our 93 :oops:

Jarro
4th March 2006, 02:44 PM
i'd like to see Katich get the flick .. he just doesn't seem to get the job done often enough, particularly at the top of the order.

If they're going to keep Clarke in the side, then i'd bat him at the top of the order ... let him get his eye in with a lot more overs to bat ... same with Hussey. Maybe open with Gilchrist and Clarke, then Ponting, then Hussey.

as for the bowlers ..... Watson seems all at sea at the moment but i'm sure they're going to persevere with him. Clarke bowled OK last night, but he doesn't seem to have the ability to really step up another notch and be a great fast bowler. Who else can we get in there ??????

3oneday
4th March 2006, 03:02 PM
Who else can we get in there ??????no one, we got nuthin !!!!

5 zip I reckon.....

Pete

Fishman Dan
7th March 2006, 04:02 PM
You should be ashamed QLD.. Kaspa and Tait in, the mullet misses out.

Hodge out. Who couldn't have guessed that. Clark and Martin in, Symonds and MacGill retained.

3oneday
7th March 2006, 04:04 PM

Hodge out. Who couldn't have guessed that. Clark and Martin in, Symonds and MacGill retained.What are you gibbering about, the test team ????

is Martin Martyn ?? If yes, woo hoo !!!!!!!! 8)

Pete

AndyP
7th March 2006, 04:08 PM
The selectors have outdone themselves this time.

terryand
7th March 2006, 04:08 PM

Hodge out. Who couldn't have guessed that. Clark and Martin in, Symonds and MacGill retained.

About time kaspa got the nod again,considering he got dumped after doing nothing wrong:smt087

And don't get me started on Wonderboy:smt011

Terry.

3oneday
7th March 2006, 04:12 PM
About time kaspa got the nod again,considering he got dumped after doing nothing wrong:smt087

And don't get me started on Wonderboy:smt011

Terry.Clarke has been a shocker in the one dayers, he's batting like alo on speed !!!!!

terryand
7th March 2006, 04:15 PM
Isn't there another Hussey running around country somewhere,surely with his DNA he has to be a better thing than Wonderboy.

Terry.

AndyP
7th March 2006, 04:31 PM
I don't think David Hussey's form has been as good as last year.

Fishman Dan
7th March 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm more surprised by Martin's pick.. but not. They need a solid start to the middle order, and he didn't do that much wrong in the Ashes. Controversial - but i'll back him.

The concern with Dizzy would be if he broke down. He was doing a lot of stretching during the ING Cup Final (which NSW won - did you know?) in a 10-over stint, i don't think he's fit enough for Test cricket.

Mind you he took something like 30 wickets at 20 this ING Cup season.

Jarro
8th March 2006, 12:54 AM
Kaspa will do the job. He's never let anyone down before 8)

Fishman Dan
8th March 2006, 06:54 AM
Have you forgotten the Ashes already?

Grunt
8th March 2006, 07:42 AM
Kaspa will do the job. He's never let anyone down before 8)

I actually think he won't play a test over there. There have been stories of playing Macgill & Warne in every test. They will play Lee, Tait & use someone like SYmonds if they need too.

Did any of you see Hohns on the news? He is a dead set wanker, he gives you QLD'ers a bad name.

terryand
8th March 2006, 07:50 AM
He was born in NSW Grunt:-D

Terry.

Grunt
8th March 2006, 07:54 AM
He is a QLD'er now. He must have been kicked out for being a F/wit

AndyP
8th March 2006, 08:21 AM
I'm more surprised by Martin's pick.. but not. They need a solid start to the middle order, and he didn't do that much wrong in the Ashes. Controversial - but i'll back him.
I agree, he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

But obviously he did something wrong in the selectors eyes and they gave him the boot. Now they have brought him back into the side when he has done nothing special in the Pura Cup and his one-day form is crap.

So have the selectors just admitted that they stuffed up the first time? I thought it was a lot harder to get into the Australian side than that.

AndyP
8th March 2006, 08:24 AM
I actually think he won't play a test over there. There have been stories of playing Macgill & Warne in every test. They will play Lee, Tait & use someone like SYmonds if they need too.
There is no way they should have Lee and Tait as the full fast bowling attack, as they can both be too erratic. Kaspa has to be one of the bowlers. Clark shouldn't even be there.

Jarro
8th March 2006, 08:46 AM
Trevor Hohns has said that Martyn is back for his EXPERIENCE :roll:

Kaspa has been in great form in the domestic comp, and should never have been dropped in the first place (IMO)

3oneday
8th March 2006, 09:28 AM
Trevor Hohns has said that Martyn is back for his EXPERIENCE :roll:

Kaspa has been in great form in the domestic comp, and should never have been dropped in the first place (IMO)Martyn will need to perform in the 1st Test I reckon, or Clarke will be back in. Even though Martyn is 34, I reckon he is a better bet than Clarke.

Pete

Jarro
8th March 2006, 09:53 AM
Martyn will need to perform in the 1st Test I reckon, or Clarke will be back in. Even though Martyn is 34, I reckon he is a better bet than Clarke.

Pete

Pete, i think Clarke is still in the side, they dropped Hodge to make for him didn't they :confused:

AndyP
8th March 2006, 09:55 AM
They way they are talking is that they dropped Hodge for Martyn.

Jarro
8th March 2006, 10:00 AM
Australia squad : Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Damien Martyn, Michael Hussey, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist (wk), Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Michael Kasprowicz, Stuart MacGill, Stuart Clark, Shaun Tait.

3oneday
8th March 2006, 10:15 AM
In todays paper they said Martyn is in for Hodge, and Clarke is part of the Touring party.

Pete

cazandpaul
8th March 2006, 02:41 PM
From that squad the extra batsman is Clarke and the extra bowlers are Clark and Tait - depending on the wickets prepared (ie nullify Warne) they swap McGill for Clark/Tait. After Martyn fails in the first test, Clarke is back.

Thank God pretty boy Watson didn't get the call however did anyone notice he got a fair bit of movement when he checked his pace when Gilly stood up to the wicket - he looked a better bowler for it.

Fishman Dan
8th March 2006, 05:57 PM
I think Symonds is out with this injury, Clark in.

What price the injury was a drunken binge by Ponting and Symonds over there. Perhaps a new beer record for the cross-Indian flight!

Jarro
11th March 2006, 06:47 AM
Great win to the Aussies. They took it down to the wire though with only 1 wicket remaining :roll:

Symonds top scored with a great 76 from 71 balls ... we really missed his firepower. Martyn failed (again) with 1, and Ponting didn't fare much better.

3oneday
11th March 2006, 04:51 PM
Was it on this morning ??? how did our bowlers go ???

goughy
11th March 2006, 05:25 PM
Brett Lee had the worst of the 10 over bowlers. 1 for 55.

Fishman Dan
11th March 2006, 08:27 PM
Nice positive outlook there Goughy. And who performed well?

Looks like Katich and Gilly got them off to a good start, and Bracken had 2/16 off his first 6.

Clarke batted at something like 7 or 8, ridiculous considering he's been playing so well at 4.

Moe Norman
12th March 2006, 09:39 PM
Anybody watching this 5th match?

Aussies are a big chance to score the first 400 ever.

3-381 after 47 overs with Punter on 155 off 101 balls and Symonds 0 off 0.

incredible stuff!

goughy
12th March 2006, 09:45 PM
Nice positive outlook there Goughy. And who performed well?

Looks like Katich and Gilly got them off to a good start, and Bracken had 2/16 off his first 6.

Clarke batted at something like 7 or 8, ridiculous considering he's been playing so well at 4.

Don't get me wrong fishy. I have a lot of time for lee now days - he's a mile better when he tones it down.

terryand
12th March 2006, 09:46 PM
I wish I was watching it.

Watching the score tick over on the net.

First time for 400....AWESOME!!!!

Terry.

Moe Norman
12th March 2006, 09:47 PM
oops, thats 400 on the board!

Punter gone for 164 off 105 balls, the graphite bat must have been holding him back.

4-406 after 48 overs!

goughy
12th March 2006, 09:49 PM
And Brett Lee is pinch hitting. Ponting - 13 fours and 9 sixes. Damn you free-to-air ****ty no coverage.

Moe Norman
12th March 2006, 09:51 PM
nice bowling figures Kallis!

goughy
12th March 2006, 09:52 PM
No pollock too so you'd think that would speel the end of SA. Even better - murilichucka still has the worst odi bowling figures of all time. Gotta love it.

Do you think SA would be getting worried about the tests. He's gotta be feeling great right about now.

goughy
12th March 2006, 09:55 PM
Add this innings to the books. Previous highest odi team score was 398-5, sri-lanka vs kenya.

goughy
12th March 2006, 09:59 PM
Holy Sh!te. Added almost 40 runs to the highest odi score of all time.

Moe Norman
12th March 2006, 10:00 PM
a historic day.

Bruce
12th March 2006, 10:02 PM
Great Googily Moogily!!!

Not just 400, but surged past to 433!!!

Tell me again about choking Smithy. The Aussies now stand at top of a table that was dominated by teams cashing in against minnows. It was only a week ago we lost by 200 and now THIS!! That was brutal!

terryand
12th March 2006, 10:02 PM
WOW

Terry.

Bruce
12th March 2006, 10:04 PM
Previous highest totals.

398-5 (50 overs) Sri Lanka v Kenya Kandy 1995/96
397-5 (44 overs) New Zealand v Zimbabwe Bulawayo 2005/06
391-4 (50 overs) England v Bangladesh Nottingham 2005
376-2 (50 overs) India v New Zealand Hyderabad (Decc) 1999/00
373-6 (50 overs) India v Sri Lanka Taunton 1999
371-9 (50 overs) Pakistan v Sri Lanka Nairobi (Gym) 1996/97
368-5 (50 overs) Australia v Sri Lanka Sydney 2005/06
363-7 (55 overs) England v Pakistan Nottingham 1992
363-3 (50 overs) South Africa v Zimbabwe Bulawayo 2001/02
360-4 (50 overs) West Indies v Sri Lanka Karachi 1987/88

Moe Norman
12th March 2006, 10:05 PM
that was a genuine choke, Smith is right, we should have at least got 450 :smt044

goughy
12th March 2006, 10:06 PM
Symonds only scored 18 of his 27 with boundary's.......... slacker. That's what held it back.

BrisWesty
12th March 2006, 10:08 PM
4/433.
Required reading for Graeme Smith. "Sledging for Dummies".
Katich must be worried about his spot! Only 79 off 90. Shameful.

goughy
12th March 2006, 10:10 PM
If anyone taped it - I neeeeed a copy. Anyone hears of it being released on dvd (they have to release a copy of this match) I want it. I have to see this somehow........................................... ...........................................

goughy
12th March 2006, 10:11 PM

You'd have to be embarrased, even tho you shouldn't be you'd have to be embarrased.

terryand
12th March 2006, 10:12 PM
Surely fox will play it again.

So you guys with fox, get the tapes ready please,hell I 'll supply it.

Terry.

Moe Norman
12th March 2006, 10:14 PM
so how many dimes you reckon Hershelle Gibbs had on the aussies making 400?

it was looking a tad shakey so he ran over to Telemachus at the beginning of the 48th over "Mate 17 off the first ball of the over ought to make sure of it, there's $10k in it for you!"

goughy
Surely fox will play it again.

So you guys with fox, get the tapes ready please,hell I 'll supply it.

Terry.

Bloody oath. Where's jarro? Dosen't drunken have it too.

Moe Norman
this will go to DVD for sure.

Jarro
12th March 2006, 10:19 PM
couldn't take my eyes off it for a second ... even to answer the continual SMS's i was receiving from some knobhead :roll:

Ponting played the knock of his life, belting the hapless SuthAfrekans all over the place 8)

8+ an over, don't think even the Windies team of the 80's could mange that for 50 overs

3oneday
13th March 2006, 04:09 AM
couldn't take my eyes off it for a second ... even to answer the continual SMS's i was receiving from some knobhead :roll:you started it :p

as Tony Greig would say "unbelievable effort !!!!!"

some of the 6's Ponting hit should have been 8 !!!!!!! 8)

Pete

Jarro
13th March 2006, 04:57 AM
can't believe that we actually LOST that game:shock:

man we must have bowled like crap, or they must've batted like demons ... wish i had've stayed up and watched it now :???:

Jarro
13th March 2006, 05:12 AM
just read that Mick Lewis went for 113 from his 10 overs without taking a wicket :shock:

... a new world record.

3oneday
13th March 2006, 06:11 AM
??????

goughy
13th March 2006, 06:35 AM
I thought jarro was taking the mickey out of us until I saw it on the news. How the hell we could lose it by 1 wicket with 1 ball to spare. Gibbs outdid pontings runrate by 1 percentage point. Everything I enjoyed about this game is gone. Enen murilichucka's record is gone.

Looks like we baged graham smith too soon about his choking comments. What else do you call it after scoring 434 runs to lose a 1 dayer.

I'm distraught........................................ ......

Fishman Dan
13th March 2006, 06:37 AM
This is the end of the world as we know it.

Only Ponting's captaincy could lose to 434. Lewis - 10 overs, 113 runs conceded. What's going on there?!?!?!?!?!?! Worst 5-for Bracken will ever take!

goughy
13th March 2006, 07:12 AM
I'd have bowled gilly. If he'd only gone for 105 we'd have won.

I think next time I won't open my mouth till the game is actually over.

BrisWesty
13th March 2006, 07:25 AM
4/433.
Required reading for Graeme Smith. "Sledging for Dummies".

What inspired captaincy by Smith!?! Lulling the Aussies into a false sense of security by letting them score a world record.
Only way I could compare that would be like giving Tiger Woods 8 holes start with 10 to go and winning.

If only Katich had been a bit quicker. As if anyone would have expected that though!

goughy
13th March 2006, 07:49 AM
McGrath, Kaspa, Gillespie, Bichel - all has beens. Man I'd have taken even just one of them last night. I hope McGrath's wife recovers - for selfish reasons - so he can bowl till he's 45.

Bring back damien flemming I say......

And Warnie - how about some warn up matches before you announce your availability for the world cup.

Moe Norman
13th March 2006, 07:53 AM
This humble pie tastes pretty ordinary.

terryand
13th March 2006, 08:14 AM
Speechless :shock:

Terry.

AndyP
13th March 2006, 08:50 AM
Anyone gone back and edited their posts?

Only wish I had of posted my "don't care" comments last night at the halfway mark.

Moe Norman
13th March 2006, 10:05 AM
yep, I have a bigger mouth that Graeme Smith.

Webster
13th March 2006, 10:52 AM
never seen so much early crow in all my life...

Jarro
16th March 2006, 07:30 PM
1st test is underway. SA won the toss and elected to bat and at this stage are 1/34 after 12 overs with Kaspa taking the wicket of DeVilliers ... bowled for 8.

MacGill is 12th man so the other bowling place was taken by Clarke.

Grunt
16th March 2006, 07:46 PM
Will watch it for a while once Tayla goes to bed, she is watching Disney Channel now :( Rachelle is sick and has been in bed since 5. I am Mr. Mum and an amatuer at it.

Jarro
16th March 2006, 07:52 PM
get used to it Grant .... once you've done it, the missus will pull a "sickie" whenever she feels the need to unwind ;)

Fishman Dan
16th March 2006, 08:25 PM
4/61. Clarke has 3!

Grunt
16th March 2006, 08:36 PM
The wicket of Gibbs was an awesome delivery badly played but it was a great delivery knocking off stump out of the ground.
Glad we are not batting first we could be in the same position, ball is moving everyhere. Warne will get into it sooner than he expected too already footmarks defined quite clearly.

Moe Norman
16th March 2006, 08:47 PM
wicket of Kallis was an awesome delivery badly played but it was a great delivery knocking off stump out of the ground are we watching the same game? It was wide rubbish that Kallis belted but picked out Hayden. Mind you its the only bad ball Clark has bowed, solid groupings there

AndyP
16th March 2006, 08:54 PM
Thank you for spelling the bowler's name right, ThomMoe.

Grunt
16th March 2006, 08:55 PM
The wicket of Kallis was an awesome delivery badly played but it was a great delivery knocking off stump out of the ground.

Oops meant Gibbs. Making these simple mistakes should get me on the 9 Commentary team with Tony.

AndyP
16th March 2006, 08:59 PM
There is no way I would have had Clark in the squad, but hmmmmmmm.

ThomMoe, there goes Smith's run of scores between 20 to 40. (cross-forum conversation)

Jarro
17th March 2006, 02:01 AM
Clarke ends up with 5/55 in his Test debut ... pretty fair effort i think.

SA were all out for 205.

Aussies are 1/58 in reply with Langer out for 16

Bruce
17th March 2006, 08:58 AM
Clark bowled a great couple of spells. It was McGrath-like in his control of line and length with the ball decking about and really testing the Yarpies.

I had my doubts too AndyP but I'm prepared to say "Well bowled Stuart Clark!"

He just needs to bakc it up under less benign conditions.

dc68
17th March 2006, 09:19 AM
Let's hope they now grind them into the dust because if they get a sniff...............well we all know what can happen

Jarro
17th March 2006, 11:41 AM
have to say that Hayden looks pretty composed out in the middle too .... seems he might have a point to prove to the selectors with regards to including him in the one-day squad.

I see Mark Waugh has stuck his nose in and asked for Trevor Hohns to be sacked too :roll:

dc68
17th March 2006, 01:35 PM
I see Mark Waugh has stuck his nose in and asked for Trevor Hohns to be sacked too :roll:[/quote]

For a supposed Qld bias no less:confused:.Seeing as how Kasper and Bich have been ar5ed time and again ,Marty Love dropped after a ton et al sour grapes :smt089 from Waugh IMHO.

Jarro
17th March 2006, 07:27 PM
i never knew this either, but Mark Waugh was offered the job of selector BEFORE they gave it to Big Merv, but he knocked it back :???:

one would've thought if the man had such a huge bee in his bonnet that he would have taken up the position and tried to do something about it.

any whinging now just seems like sour grapes.

Moe Norman
17th March 2006, 09:38 PM
he knocked it back because he didn't want to work with Hohns - who can blame him?

PRC
17th March 2006, 09:46 PM
True, Hohns doesn't come across as a 'life of the party' type bloke. But M Waugh should have been axed from the test side 3 years earlier than he did - so he can't complain.
Aussies looking good 3-200.

Fishman Dan
17th March 2006, 10:48 PM
1/175, now 5/230.

Air passage... tightening....

Solid nothing from Martyn. Why he got a start ahead of Clark we'll never know. I'm calling for his axing again.

Jarro
18th March 2006, 12:47 AM
nice 55 from Roy ;)

3oneday
18th March 2006, 05:19 AM
nice 55 from Roy ;)the description was "and Warne and Symonds threw their wickets away" ??

What is it with our middle order ????

1 for 180 and then all out 308 ???? should have got 500 from there !!!!!!

Pete

terryand
18th March 2006, 07:30 AM
1/175, now 5/230.

Air passage... tightening....

Solid nothing from Martyn. Why he got a start ahead of Clark we'll never know. I'm calling for his axing again.

Hussey Failed too,I guess he has to go too :smt102 Just face it your wonderboy just doesn't cut it ATM.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
18th March 2006, 07:59 AM
the description was "and Warne and Symonds threw their wickets away" ??

What is it with our middle order ????

1 for 180 and then all out 308 ???? should have got 500 from there !!!!!!

Pete

I was listening to the radio last night - sounds like Symonds threw his wicket away. Went the tonk on Boje, smashed him for a 3 6's in one over, and took to him again - hit a 6 and tried to repeat the dose the next ball but skied a catch. Hate seeing (hearing?) a bloke in complete control throw it away. He didn't get out, he got himself out.

Hope 100 is enough lead. We know we're a chance of a choke if they get a lead of 150+!

Tez - Clark is The Future of Australian Cricket. Let us not hold him back any longer.. besides, i prefer not to call him 'Wonderboy' - that implies he's doing something out of the ordinary. We all know that brilliant cricket is the norm for this lad ;)

CobraSS
18th March 2006, 09:01 AM
Hate seeing (hearing?) a bloke in complete control throw it away. He didn't get out, he got himself out.

Something Mark Waugh would know all about, he did it his whole career.......

Fishman Dan
18th March 2006, 09:44 AM
Something Mark Waugh would know all about, he did it his whole career.......

100% correct. Highest score of 170-something?

3oneday
18th March 2006, 12:44 PM
100% correct. Highest score of 170-something?
he's a doggies supporter, he can't be all bad :p

:lol:

Jarro
18th March 2006, 02:23 PM
he's a doggies supporter, he can't be all bad :p

:lol:

you're kidding aren't you :roll:

3oneday
18th March 2006, 02:30 PM
you're kidding aren't you :roll:
no ???

AndyP
18th March 2006, 11:03 PM
This match is pretty much over (or is it too early to call based on the last pyjama match?). Would be nice to have Foxtel.....

Jarro
19th March 2006, 03:54 AM
7 wicket win to the boys ..... great Test debut for Clarke with figures of 9/89 for the match .....

AndyP
19th March 2006, 08:28 AM
Is this a running joke between you and Fishy?
You spell Clark as Clarke.
And he spells Clarke as Clark.

Bruce
19th March 2006, 12:49 PM
I really enjoyed last night. Not just for the win but for the absolute working over they gave Mark Boucher. I haven't seen a batsman wear that many since the Windies of the past used to muscle mediocre bats into the ground.

I bet he wished he had walked on that LB shout.

Fishman Dan
19th March 2006, 06:44 PM
Is this a running joke between you and Fishy?
You spell Clark as Clarke.
And he spells Clarke as Clark.

Whatever gives. I just know that one spelling is correct. I think you'll find that i've spelled it either way for either of the players ;)

Jarro
24th March 2006, 05:41 PM
Australia has gone into the 2nd test with an unchanged lineup .. leaving out MacGill yet again.

We won the toss and elected to bat first.

AndyP
24th March 2006, 06:42 PM
Looks like the selectors made the right move in not including Hodge in the squad......oh wait, is that a century he just scored in the Shield Final?

PRC
24th March 2006, 08:55 PM
Hodge isn't a test 4 though. However at 35 neither is Damien Martyn.

AndyP
24th March 2006, 09:01 PM
Hodge isn't a test 4 though. However at 35 neither is Damien Martyn.
He didn't do too much wrong in the spot, but wasn't given that much of a chance really.

Looks like it might have been tough going in the first session. But with the loss of only one wicket, hopefully they can build a good total.

Jarro
25th March 2006, 05:02 AM
nice ton to Ponting ... he really stepped out there and took charge straight away. Martyn made an unconvincing 57 ... i still can't see him as a reliable #4 either.
5/228 after being 3 for 198 when Ponting got out :roll:

AndyP
25th March 2006, 05:44 AM
Gilchrist will be coming in at number 8, after Lee made a duck as the night watchman (where's his batting form gone?). Why can't they just move Gilly above Symonds?
A top quality batsman at 8 is a joke, especially with the clown batting above him.

terryand
25th March 2006, 06:38 AM
Jeez the pitch must have bee doing a bit for the Aussies to have a run rate well under 3 per over.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
25th March 2006, 08:44 AM
Gilchrist will be coming in at number 8, after Lee made a duck as the night watchman (where's his batting form gone?). Why can't they just move Gilly above Symonds?
A top quality batsman at 8 is a joke, especially with the clown batting above him.

Boring negative boring slow boring boring cricket. Played right into the 'Boks hands, and losing the inevitable 2 or 3 wickets was always going to hurt when you're struggling to score at 2 runs per over.

I was listening to it on the wireless when i hit the sack last night - Lee didn't nick the ball (Boucher didn't even appeal?!), so another golden moment for Bucknor, and Symonds getting sconned by Ntini was pretty gruesome apparently. Commentators were impressed that he a) didn't fall over, and b) stayed on the pitch.

A lot of work to do, need 350+.

3oneday
25th March 2006, 09:36 PM
you got your wish Dan, saved by Hussey yet again !!!

Fishman Dan
25th March 2006, 09:59 PM
All out for 369.

Sadly Hussey threw away his wicket, denying Clark a big innings. He was just starting to get going! Cameo from Warne put us on the right track.

Good thing most people will remember *that* innings from Symo in the Melbourne test.. because most others including 13 off 60 and a whack in the face by a good bowler seems to have sorted him out.

PRC
25th March 2006, 09:59 PM
You've got to love South African cricket.
Kallis to Martyn - wide outside off stump and left alone

Pollock to Ponting - wide outside off stump and left alone

Try that for about 50 overs and you can understand why test cricket in SA has never really taken off.

AndyP
25th March 2006, 10:03 PM
Good thing most people will remember *that* innings from Symo in the Melbourne test..
Fishy, I was tempted to post something, but resisted, and was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for the 2nd innings.

His test record is looking pretty spiffy now. What are the odds of him actually doing anything useful in test cricket?

PRC
25th March 2006, 10:03 PM
Graeme Smith gone first ball of the innings, always good for the captain to provide a solid start.

Fishman Dan
25th March 2006, 10:05 PM
0.1 Lee to Smith, OUT, What a start for Lee and Australia, wicket of the first ball, full ball wide outside off stump, Smith goes for the drive and gets an edge to third slip, where Langer takes the catch high on his right, well taken.

Oooh baby.. no doubt about it, he is Lee's bunny.

Jarro
26th March 2006, 04:14 AM
mini fightback from the Africans with Kallis finding a bit of touch to be 72 not out.

Bruce
26th March 2006, 09:46 AM
Shameless' dismissal was another fricken disgrace. I am now coming around to the idea of hawkeye and replacing umpires with a hatstand with a camera attached.

Sure he didn't play a shot but hte fundamental part of an LBW decision is was the ball going to hit the stumps?. In this case the answer was clearly no to everyone except the one making the decision.

And I've just seen a replay of a Kallis not out that was twice as out as Shameless.

That's it. Hat stands from now on.

Jarro
27th March 2006, 09:20 PM
Hayden just dismissed in the Aussies innings, out for 102.

Aussies now lead by 352 with 8 wickets remaining.

sorta sounds like the Pura Cup scenario doesn't it 8)

3oneday
27th March 2006, 09:22 PM
sorta sounds like the Pura Cup scenario doesn't it 8)
no

Jarro
27th March 2006, 09:23 PM
yeah, thats right ... we're ahead by more than 500 aren't we ;)

3oneday
27th March 2006, 09:25 PM
yeah, thats right ... we're ahead by more than 500 aren't we ;)you care ?

Jarro
27th March 2006, 09:26 PM
you care ?

yep

3oneday
27th March 2006, 09:26 PM
yep
that's nice

Fishman Dan
27th March 2006, 09:56 PM
We should declare now.. SA aren't going to chase 350, they won't even come close even if we can't bowl them out.

terryand
27th March 2006, 10:03 PM
I would liketo see them declare at 250 once in a display of total contempt and then roll them.

terry.

Bruce
28th March 2006, 10:58 AM
Andre Nel is looking more like a goose. I did like him when he was over here as he was at least having a dip and trying match it with the Aussies.

I am now in love with my Foxtel Red Button. I was able to turn off the commentary when he came in to bat and the Aussies were barrelling into him like you wouldn't believe. Andre gets the red mist pretty easily these days and they really let him have it. He did hit a 4 before being knocked over.
Then Gilly takes him for 22 in an over and he wants to go on with it. Any person with a brain would be running to hide at fine leg for a while but he wants to stand in the middle of the pitch and draw attention to the fact that he's just been carved up. What a ****en dill.

Moe Norman
28th March 2006, 11:08 AM
We should declare now.. SA aren't going to chase 350, they won't even come close even if we can't bowl them out. Same pitch we declared on 4 years ago setting them 345 and lost, this time we have a pie chucker leading the attack.

I'd have set them 400 for sure, good captaincy punter.

Iain
28th March 2006, 12:31 PM
I'd have set them 400 for sure, good captaincy punter.

Not something you hear very often on this board...... :|

Moe Norman
28th March 2006, 12:50 PM
he's an ordinary feilding captain at best, no imagination. But there was noing wrong with this particular decision.

imoveableobstruction
28th March 2006, 01:13 PM
Also a fan of the red button. Warne to Nel after 150k+ Lee bouncer, "dont be a f..king softc..k stand in there like a man" Warne to Steve Buckner " Steve, can you go to the other side? Nelly wants to take guard on square leg"

Bruce
28th March 2006, 01:30 PM
Also a fan of the red button. Warne to Nel after 150k+ Lee bouncer, "dont be a f..king softc..k stand in there like a man" Warne to Steve Buckner " Steve, can you go to the other side? Nelly wants to take guard on square leg"

It worked on him though. He ended up standing outside off and Bing (being the nuffie that he is) saw that and tried to spear one in the stumps he was standing right in front of. He is so dumb sometimes. Nel is waiting for exactly that ball and smacks him back down the ground for 4. He got it right just after that for the catch in the gully.

Not just the verbals either. They gave him the stupid goggle-eyed stare that he pulls out all the time and had him walking down the pitch wanting to go on with it.

As soon as he was out it was as if he didn't even exist, no wonder he ran into the change rooms. It was probably to have a cry.

We are the kings of the sledge.

imoveableobstruction
28th March 2006, 07:01 PM
Our lads seem a little resigned to a draw, big lack of urgency, Ponting off the park with a crook gut. Warne gets De Villiers 1st over. Here`s hoping.

AndyP
28th March 2006, 10:39 PM
Our lads seem a little resigned to a draw, big lack of urgency, Ponting off the park with a crook gut. Warne gets De Villiers 1st over. Here`s hoping.
Really? I would highly doubt that with the Aussie side. 10 wickets in a day shouldn't have been that big of a problem, and it seems to be going nicely at the moment.

7/197, almost tea.

terryand
28th March 2006, 10:55 PM
Just what the Ausies wanted.5th day wicket and bowling.

Terry.

Moe Norman
28th March 2006, 10:58 PM
ponting's sickness is perfectly timed

imoveableobstruction
29th March 2006, 06:55 AM
Probably got Ntini with only a few to spare but you would never know from SA commentators (it is too dark blah blah). Unfortunately dubious decisions both ways until the end. I would have accepted a draw (not really) once Nel was walking though.
Had to add what a great job Symmonds did (again), he denied Boucher an end of over single time and again to allow Warne a crack at the bunnies.

Fishman Dan
29th March 2006, 05:07 PM
I disagree with dubious for the final wicket - i think if you're going to shoulder-arms you run the risk. (As a cricketer) I think you should lose all benefit of the doubt when you're not playing a shot, and i was glad to see it given.

Fact is, Warney placed the wrong'un perfectly. That's up there with "The Gatting Ball", and it was to wrap us a test series.

I was at work until 2am yesterday (this morning :roll:), which was bareable because I got to listen to the final ball on the radio just as I got home. I also think the Sth Africans have also taken the mantle of "Whingers" off the Poms. Those commentators were increasingly boring waiting for the play to be stopped, which thankfully never came.

Moe Norman
29th March 2006, 05:16 PM
yep, I reckon the benefit of the doubt should be taken away fi you shoulder arms. I don't think this is an offical rule but it seems to be how the umpires see it too.

imoveableobstruction
29th March 2006, 07:11 PM
Have no probs with Ntini`s wicket but thought that the umpiring in general has been ordinary so far this series. Can`t agree more about SA commentary, thank god for the red button.

Webster
29th March 2006, 08:36 PM
Ntini was a bit stiff, but as my old man still says "that what he has a ferken bat for"

Why does world cricket have so many old umpires who simply cant stay the 5 days of a test match. Is there no better umpire in the West indies than Bucknor?

Fishman Dan
29th March 2006, 09:07 PM
The standard in that much was pretty poor, but i think they did well to stay out there to make a result as possible as they could. I think umpires have copped a spray about ruining the spectacle in recent times.

BrisWesty
1st April 2006, 05:14 AM
Bobby Simpson makes some good points. I'm not sure how many Mr Crickets we have waiting in the wings.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/242889.html

Fishman Dan
1st April 2006, 07:22 AM
You Greigy lovers will like this then..

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/242829.html

There's mental disintegration, and then there's behaving like bogans.

But it's obvious that the Sth African's are now the worlds biggest whingers, possibly making a complaint about the light in the final session the other night. Win, lose or draw, you cannot complain that the umpires did everything possible in the 2nd test to produce a result - for the sake of the game. I doubt they'd be whinging if they had 50 runs to get in the final 10 overs with failing light.

AndyP
1st April 2006, 09:29 AM
Does it seem ridiculous to anyone else that every day's play is being affected or stopped because of bad light.
I know this may be a revolutionary idea, but why don't they shift the whole days play back, and permanently start play an hour earlier in every test match there. (Although Symonds may complain, because he needs that extra time in the morning to recover from his hangover)

Fishman Dan
1st April 2006, 04:01 PM
Jim Maxwell commented that it's very strange, and why don't they start the tests earlier - plenty of light in the morning. Apparently they have New Zealand going over there when we leave.

Perhaps it was later this year because they spent the summer in Australia?

It is well and truly football season in SA as well.

PRC
2nd April 2006, 06:22 AM
A Symonds - 72 runs and 1 wicket in 3 tests. So he's being selected for what exactly?

Webster
2nd April 2006, 06:53 AM
A Symonds - 72 runs and 1 wicket in 3 tests. So he's being selected for what exactly?

I agree completely - its time for this experiment to end and for Clarke or Hodge to come back into the team.

AndyP
2nd April 2006, 06:55 AM
His mission was to takeout G Smith in a nightclub.
I'm not sure how he managed to give him the thumb injury, but Symonds has succeeded......

Bad light again. :roll:

Jarro
2nd April 2006, 07:03 AM
Symonds should stay ... he's a great cricketer.

Clarke will be back soon enough

Fishman Dan
2nd April 2006, 07:35 AM
You can't get rid of him... you remember that innings in Melbourne?! :roll:

What part of 70 runs in 6 innings makes him a great cricketer exactly?

Jarro
2nd April 2006, 07:53 AM
whoever said you have to be a consistently great performer to be in the Aussie side :roll:

Webster
2nd April 2006, 08:04 AM
Jarro - Symonds is an excellent one day player but his Test record is terrible (with both bat and ball).

Fishman Dan
2nd April 2006, 08:06 AM
But he's such a great fielder?

Jarro
2nd April 2006, 08:09 AM
well, obviously the powers that be feel he something to offer. I'd like to see his averages a lot higher as well ....

AndyP
2nd April 2006, 09:04 AM
well, obviously the powers that be feel he something to offer.
The powers are very wise. What a revelation Martyn has been on this tour.....

terryand
2nd April 2006, 09:12 AM
I can see Symonds being a future test captain. His record is no worse that Steve Waugh's for his first 20 or 30 odd tests before he got his first ton, and look how his record ended up.

Terry.

AndyP
2nd April 2006, 09:16 AM
I can see Symonds being a future test captain. OMG! Funniest post of the year.

Webster
2nd April 2006, 10:15 AM
I can see Symonds being a future test captain. His record is no worse that Steve Waugh's for his first 20 or 30 odd tests before he got his first ton, and look how his record ended up.

Terry.

Not quite true terryand

Waugh made his first ton in the first Test of the 1989 Ashes Tour of England. Prior to that, his stats were

Mat- 26
Runs- 1099
HS- 91
BatAv- 30.52
100's - 0
50's- 10
W- 40
BB- 5/69
BowlAv- 39.32
5w/inns- 2
Ct - 23

Symonds stats before this Test were

Mat- 9
Runs- 253
HS - 72
BatAv - 19.46
100's - 0
50's - 2
W - 8
BB - 3/50
BowlAv -45.62
5w/inns - 0
Ct - 8

Symonds has a long way to go before he is worthy of being mentioned in the same class as Steve Waugh.

Fishman Dan
2nd April 2006, 02:59 PM
Wow. This thread went quiet very quickly..

Jarro
2nd April 2006, 04:15 PM

you wish.

I still think he's worthy of a spot in the side, plenty of others have been given a long time to find their feet.

terryand
2nd April 2006, 05:41 PM
OK all the usual suspects have responded as I thought they would.
Now for a serious post on the matter.

Is Symonds up to test standard ATM, no.

Should he be dropped, no not yet.

Are 9 tests enough time to find his feet, I say no.

But many out there say that’s enough? Like my comparison to Waugh, they stuck with him for 26 tests (thanks jack for that stat, I was too lazy to look it up) before he made a ton. Same with Hayden when he started, how many tests did he play before they gave him the flick?
Same with Langer and Martyn, both given ample time before they where dropped.

The selectors are obviously looking for the “Freddy factor” in the side and I guess there is not that many all rounders around ATM. The other choice is Watson and you guys don’t rate him either, so who else is out there?

Jack, yes Symonds is not worthy of being mentioned in the same breathe as a Waugh after his 160 odd tests. But after a handful of tests, yes, there are comparisons there. Plus Waugh’s bowling is nothing to write home about, considering he didn’t bowl for the second half of his career. 8 wickets in 9 tests against 40 wickets in 160 odd tests.

Fishy…..you….well……the……arggghhh :-#

Terry.

Jarro
2nd April 2006, 06:01 PM
Aussies all bowled out quickly this evening, SA start their second innings 33 runs ahead ...... Langer failed to bat again too, looks like that hit on the helmet was pretty serious.

Grunt
2nd April 2006, 06:02 PM
Well Aussies are all out (9) 33 runs Behind. Langer not batting

Grunt
2nd April 2006, 06:03 PM
Looks like that bloke you QLDers don't rate did ok with the bat too.

AndyP
2nd April 2006, 06:05 PM
Tez, of course I disagree.
Also, you haven't justified your captaincy comment. Surely you weren't serious.

One important thing you missed in your stats, Jack.
Symonds is 30, not in his early 20s.
Therefore any comparison to Hayden, Martyn, Waugh, early in their careers is pointless.

AndyP
2nd April 2006, 06:07 PM
Langer failed to bat again too, looks like that hit on the helmet was pretty serious.
The cricinfo text commentary mentioned that he is in the hotel and wouldn't have batted today. Maybe tomorrow?

terryand
2nd April 2006, 06:19 PM

Therefore any comparison to Hayden, Martyn, Waugh, early in their careers is pointless.

It was a tougue in cheek comment.

Age shouldn't be a factor with the comparison, because Symonds is probably fitter at 30 than the others where at 20 ten years ago considering the training they do now compared to then and the fact that Symonds is an absolute freak of nature.

Terry.

Webster
2nd April 2006, 06:40 PM

Andy,

Age is irrelevant to this debate - its all about results regardless of how old he is. And oh, have you heard of a bloke called Hussey, who is about 30 as well.

AndyP
2nd April 2006, 06:47 PM
Hussey is performing. Symonds is not. I didn't have a problem with Hodge in the side either at 30+.

I can't see the point in persevering with Symonds, especially as he wasn't a great test prospect in the first place.
Although, persevering with Watson wouldn't concern me as much, I just don't thing a "Freddy" hunt is necessary.

Fishman Dan
2nd April 2006, 07:35 PM
I think he's had his chance... there are too many waiting in the wings for this to work.. or not. Clark, Hodge, Watson.. all good names.

In an era where we essentially have 2 teams - ODI and Test, he has no place in the test squad. He's the first picked for any ODI team.

Moe Norman
2nd April 2006, 09:37 PM
Is Symonds up to test standard ATM, no.

Should he be dropped, no not yet.

Are 9 tests enough time to find his feet, I say no. Agreed, but how long do you give him? It took 10 years to find his feet at first class level and it's debateable whether he has yet, one ton and an injury at the right time got him in the test side late last year, and it certainly took a while to find his feet in the ODI arena.

But many out there say that’s enough? Like my comparison to Waugh, they stuck with him for 26 tests (thanks jack for that stat, I was too lazy to look it up) before he made a ton. Same with Hayden when he started, how many tests did he play before they gave him the flick?
Same with Langer and Martyn, both given ample time before they where dropped. Bad examples.
Waugh - he batted 7/8 at the beginning of his career and bowled far more extensively that Symonds ever will. Not to mention, back then ODI form affected test selection (it was the same team in both forms) and he was superb in that arena with the ball in particular.
Hayden/Langer - both given limited opportunities in a much tougher environment at the top of the order against the class attacks from the Windies and SA of the min 90's. Both have been dropped maybe 4 times each?
Martyn - dropped after about 3 or so tests after the disaster against SA at the SCG, didn't make the test side again for 10 years, not to mention he actually made a 1/2 century in that famous collapse, but it was the manner in which he got out that cost him his spot.

Plus Waugh’s bowling is nothing to write home about, considering he didn’t bowl for the second half of his career. 8 wickets in 9 tests against 40 wickets in 160 odd tests. Another bad example. S.Waugh took just under 100 test wickets and I'd guess 80 of them were in his first 60 tests, both him and Mark were far superior bolwers than Symonds prior to their injuries - Mark even shared the new ball a couple of times.

Give him one more test, if he fails pick Watson and bat him at 6 for 10 tests if thats no good return to specialists.

McMw
3rd April 2006, 05:38 PM
292 for the win...can it be done???

Jarro
3rd April 2006, 05:42 PM
didn't take long to mop the tail up 8)

292 is more than gettable, they have almost 2 days to get it don't they

McMw
3rd April 2006, 05:48 PM
with 1 man short....

Jarro
3rd April 2006, 06:02 PM
.. and now 1 man out !

Hayden gone for a duck :(

Grunt
3rd April 2006, 06:12 PM
Is Hayden running out of chances? He seems to get out early a lot nowadays.

Grunt
3rd April 2006, 06:52 PM
Ponting GONE! 2/33

starting to get tough to win this one when we are really 3 for

Webster
3rd April 2006, 07:10 PM
Big chance for Symonds to come to the rescue......

Fishman Dan
3rd April 2006, 07:31 PM
50-odd at lunch. Hoping for a wicketless middle session and somewhere in the order of 90 runs, leaves a final session of 150 to get in at least 30, maybe even 35 overs. Could be a grandstand finish coming up.

What's the equation - '90' overs in a day, so somewhere around 30 for the final session (perhaps a few more), with a minimum 15 overs in the final hour?

terryand
3rd April 2006, 08:05 PM
Isn't this only the 4th day ?

terry.

3oneday
3rd April 2006, 08:27 PM
Isn't this only the 4th day ?

terry.yep, no rush, we could bat like Boycott for a day or so !!!! maybe tomorrow Langer may be OK ???

Fishman Dan
3rd April 2006, 08:54 PM
Holy crap batman, you're right... that's what an extra hour does to you at the end of daylight savings. {insert embarrassed smiley here..}

McMw
3rd April 2006, 10:01 PM
good knocks by the 2 westaussies so far!!! :D

Jarro
3rd April 2006, 11:17 PM
Hussey's just gone for 89 ..... 3/203 needing another 89 runs with 7 wickets remaining.

Symonds comes to the crease ......

Jarro
3rd April 2006, 11:43 PM
Symonds gone for a quickfire 29 off 26 balls, Gilchrist comes in and gets out first ball caught behind off Ntini :roll:

the boys are starting to make this run chase look very hard ... 63 still needed with 5 wickets remaining

Jarro
4th April 2006, 12:23 AM
bad light has stopped play with the Aussies still needing 44 runs to win with 4 wickets remaining.

Martyn is on 93 and Lee on 9

3oneday
4th April 2006, 02:53 AM
Go Marto !!!!!!!!!!

Gilchrist is on the way out !!!

Fishman Dan
4th April 2006, 05:20 AM
Why'd he go the tonk? I guess "play your natural game" came into it.

Will Langer bat? Take a pretty good doctor to keep him from padding up i think.

Moe Norman
4th April 2006, 09:01 AM
Martyn certainly has a habit of scoring runs when the Aussies REALLY need them.

Jarro
4th April 2006, 11:58 AM
be interesting to see if Alfie bats or not, you'd think they should get the 44 runs no worries ..... but then again :roll:

on a side note, you'll all be glad to hear that Trevor Hohns has resigned as national head of selectors.

Moe Norman
4th April 2006, 12:18 PM
i've already drafted my application for the position Jarro :D

Jarro
4th April 2006, 12:20 PM
and what immediate changes would you make to the side Moe ??

:roll:

3oneday
4th April 2006, 01:51 PM
on a side note, you'll all be glad to hear that Trevor Hohns has resigned as national head of selectors.any reasons given ??

Jarro
4th April 2006, 01:52 PM
any reasons given ??

his business partner is "retiring" so Hohns will have to be more hands on with the business i suppose ..... have to be home a lot more than he is at present.

3oneday
4th April 2006, 01:54 PM
So, Cricket Australia wasn't actually paying him a motza :shock:

Jarro
4th April 2006, 02:32 PM
who knows, he would've had to have been on a contract with them ..... for how much though who knows :???:

Grunt
4th April 2006, 03:31 PM
Lucky Langer is injured, Hayden would be back in the states after his poor batting form lately. Wonder if Hussey willl get his favourite batting possie for the Bangladesh tour too or will they bring in Jaques for Langer. Looks like Kasper has broken down too.

Moe Norman
4th April 2006, 04:46 PM
whose poor batting form lately? surely you're not referring to Hayden

Grunt
4th April 2006, 04:49 PM
Yes I was, he is not getting out to good balls rather bad shots and shot selection

Moe Norman
4th April 2006, 04:58 PM
he got out to a great delivery this very innings.

just to be sure, we are talking about Hayden aren't we?

Last 9 tests since the ashes:

Runs: 1177
Average: 69.27
Hundreds: 5
Fifties: 5

and two more scores in the 40's

I'd hate to see his good form!!

For the record, I don't really rate Hayden, he's a fair weather player but I can recognise his recent dominance.

Grunt
4th April 2006, 05:08 PM
I am also taking in the ashes and discounting the stats from the WI series. It is handy to come goood against lack lustre attack after failing against a good one.

Fishman Dan
4th April 2006, 05:38 PM
Martyn gone!

Lee at the crease, Clarke joins him. Kaspa to come...

Anyone remember that Ashes test played recently? Wonder if Kaspa will leave anything short and down leg-side.

Moe Norman
4th April 2006, 05:58 PM
I am also taking in the ashes and discounting the stats from the WI series. It is handy to come goood against lack lustre attack after failing against a good one. by that reasoning the entire australian lineup has had bad recent form.

Moe Norman
4th April 2006, 06:00 PM
apparently Clark can bat a bit as well!

Edit: ignore that ;)

Jarro
4th April 2006, 06:13 PM
yep, very handy 10 from wonderboy ..... lets rush him back into the side. He's obviously our great-white-hope :roll:

Fishman Dan
4th April 2006, 06:22 PM
Wrong Clark doofus...

And i'd be surprised if he doesn't get player of the series.

Jarro
4th April 2006, 06:28 PM
damn you're sharp Fish ;)

great 3-0 whitewash to the boys .... good points to come out of this series .... Clark, had a great series and now will rate as an integral part of out lineup when we take on the Poms later this year.

Bad points .... Gilchrist seems all at sea, hardly contributing with the bat, and dropping his standards with the gloves ... might be time he made way for a younger bull.

Fishman Dan
4th April 2006, 07:13 PM
That's 3 successive ordinary series for Gilly with the bat. The odd highlight, but nothing spectacular.

Actually i thought his glovework improved ;)

Bruce
4th April 2006, 07:44 PM
I don't remember any mistakes behind the stumps from Gilly. But I am getting old.

Gilly has to relearn where is off stump is when blokes come round the wicket at him and learn to let the thing go. He just can't help himself for those shorter ones outside off even when they change the angle from around the wicket. Even the Bangers will switch to around from the very first ball and have a point, backward point and 2 gullys. He is utterly predictable on that now.

AndyP
5th April 2006, 07:23 AM
So Martyn has a crap series and saves his butt with a century in a match after the series has already been won (not that he saw the innings out).

Drop him.

3oneday
5th April 2006, 10:43 AM
Go Marto !!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least that other QLDer didn't stuff the match up like he did last time !!!

;)

Andrew
5th April 2006, 11:14 AM
So Martyn has a crap series and saves his butt with a century in a match after the series has already been won (not that he saw the innings out).

What! Like Mark Waugh did for most of his career.

AndyP
5th April 2006, 11:16 AM
What! Like Mark Waugh did for most of his career.
Yep, exactly like Mark Waugh. He had a real knack for it.

Moe Norman
5th April 2006, 04:53 PM
actually Martyn has a knack for scoring runs under pressure and when we really need them. In the Ashes he may have done so if he wasn't out bat before wicket 3 times... people forget in the 12 months prior he was our best player and bailed us out of trouble in India and Sri Lanka big time.

Jarro
5th April 2006, 05:02 PM
Dizzy is back !!!

he's been picked to replace Kaspa for the Bangladesh slaughter. Jacques and Mitchell Johnson have been included as well.

Moe Norman
5th April 2006, 05:10 PM
will be interesting to see if they open with hussey and put Clarke at 5 while Jacques enjoys a crappy holiday.

I'd put my house on Johnson getting the pace gig given the opposition, if it were any other team I'd back dizzy.

Jarro
5th April 2006, 05:39 PM
it'd be the perfect chance to give the young quick a couple of tests to see what he can do .... they obviously rate him highly enough.

I'd back them to throw Jacques in for langer, that way they can keep a bit of the stability in the current lineup. Moving Hussey around too much might cause him to drop a bit of from, and we don't need that at this stage :roll:

AndyP
6th April 2006, 07:37 AM
people forget in the 12 months prior he was our best player and bailed us out of trouble in India and Sri Lanka big time.
And I remember the nice little slump he had before that too.

Fishman Dan
7th April 2006, 06:25 AM
Hussey was a once-only fill in job, i think you can bank on Jacques opening. Interesting to see if they play Johnson, or if he's there as tourist-fodder.

Here's hoping Warney can do a Murali - take 100 wickets against Banga's.

3oneday
7th April 2006, 06:29 AM
Here's hoping Warney can do a Murali - take 100 wickets against Banga's.but they're only playing two tests !!!!

;) :lol:

Moe Norman
7th April 2006, 08:25 AM
Hussey was a once-only fill in job, i think you can bank on Jacques opening. Interesting to see if they play Johnson, or if he's there as tourist-fodder. I'm not so sure, I think they'll play Clarke at 5 but I'd prefer the other option.

Johnson is a certainty, whats the point in bringing Dizzy back to play the Banga's?

BrisWesty
9th April 2006, 08:49 PM
I reckon Langer will be a shoo-in for the World Cup. Unfortunately it's the football World Cup.
It used to be big news if someone got sconed on the noggin in test cricket, now it's once or twice an innings. (And they're not allowed to bowl 5-6 short balls an over anymore either!) Learn to duck properly folks.