PDA

View Full Version : How long do new golf balls stay 'new'

jimandr
26th February 2006, 09:38 PM
This might seem a strange question, but I was thinking about my new golf ball supply, having only one new pill left.

My preferred round white sphere is the Precept U-Tri, which has been superseded by Bridgestone 330's, so surely they aren't being made any more.

So, if the price drops down even further, and the U-Tri lovers stock up, how long will the new balls last in their box before losing their newness, for want of a better word. Is there a 'best before' date?

As a supplementary question, when new golf balls go off (if they ever do), do they get harder, softer, or something else.

Is there any way of telling, from the box or somewhere else, of the date of manufacture?

BrisVegas
26th February 2006, 10:05 PM
Not sure, good question though. I bought about 10 x dozen Strata Tour Professional 100's when I moved from America back to Australia. I used them for probably 18 months and didn't notice any loss of compression etc...

Moe Norman
26th February 2006, 10:19 PM
never considered it but hope not as I have about 10 dozen different varieties of srixon in the cupboard.

Matt 3 Jab
27th February 2006, 08:38 AM
i still have 40 or 50 of the original stratas with the compression on the side, i use them for practice, still seem to be ok to me, but its probly the newer balls that are better so they go longer etc, not that the fact their out of date

McMw
27th February 2006, 08:44 AM
had new titleist professionals for about 7-8 years in the drawers...
took a sleeve out for a round - ball was dead...couldn't do anything with it...

Toolish
27th February 2006, 08:45 AM
Also...not sure your assumption on U-Tri's being superseeded is correct. Bridgestone are trying to keep the brands separate in marketing etc so assume both Precept and Bridgestone will be available for a while.

Grunt
27th February 2006, 08:57 AM
Like I said to you yesterday Jim, I heard that Precept was going to market itself towards the ladies. Also they might market towards the higher handicapper as the D-feel has been re-released too but the D-force is gone for the time being.

Jarro
27th February 2006, 09:10 AM
i thought the only thing that would affect golf balls over a period of time was if they were submerged in water.

Toolish
27th February 2006, 10:10 AM
Like I said to you yesterday Jim, I heard that Precept was going to market itself towards the ladies. Also they might market towards the higher handicapper as the D-feel has been re-released too but the D-force is gone for the time being.

Hmm, talked to a guy in retail a couple of weeks back about the U-Tri and he said he had not heard anything about them being discontinued. I told him ot let me know if they were going to be so I could stock up!

Grunt
27th February 2006, 10:15 AM
My club is a bridgestone Stockist, I will ask them what is the go. I have noticed the Bridgestone balls in stock have gone to unboxed D-Feels, Utri Ext distance & B330's of both type. WIll post on here if I hear anything different.

connico
27th February 2006, 11:21 AM
I am told that a golf ball stored in room temps will store for a few years.

I have been advised that Golf balls do suffer from heat and the cold as temps rise and fall the golf ball will expand and contract in size this will effect the compression rating on the balls. If you leave your golf balls in the boot of your car in australia your asking for trouble...Golf balls cannot suffer much heat over 30 degrees and they will be affected.

Once compression is affected it doesnt return...

Moe Norman
27th February 2006, 11:25 AM
damn, my 10 boxes of srixons are in the boot!

Jarro
27th February 2006, 11:33 AM
damn, my 10 boxes of srixons are in the boot!

have a sale mate ;)

.. or else just use 'em as praccy balls.

Moe Norman
27th February 2006, 11:36 AM
ebay here they go.

connico
27th February 2006, 12:06 PM
well atleast have hit with them before you sell them lol...this is thirty party information from hudson park driving range, they sell alot of balls and know how to store them, but the information is 3rd party... i left my golf clubs in the car a few times, in some hot whether, i have played with the balls and it does seem to affect the way the ball travels...still im on a high capper....so i shouldnt really notice much lol hehe