PDA

View Full Version : Issue Lets Have A Discourse

Yossarian
26th July 2014, 01:52 PM
NEON GENESIS

Golf has been rained out so I thought I would take some time to say a few things. Hopefully it is taken in the spirit intended although I am not sure what that is. This place has been hurt and maybe some homespun bullshit from this guy will be a salve. This will probably be quite a longwinded ramble about the internet, ozgolf and life according to Yossarian.

SELF SERVING JUSTIFICATION

I am posting this publically because I believe that open discussion is best discussion. And this place is a community and the community (myself included) deserves to have their say openly. I don’t think there is anything too acerbic or damaging to the place.

YOSS, HYPOCRITE OR STUD MUFFIN?

I want to start by saying I am not angry, upset or vindictive about the events of the last few weeks. Personally I view the internet as the internet and try not to take anything too seriously. I realise that some people don’t have this outlook and as such my behaviour may not always be received as intended. I can only apologise to any I have truly offended in real life as a result of this. As I stated elsewhere it was rarely my intention. I would say that those that are offended or upset or whatever maybe need to take a step back and apply some perspective, there are people being starving in this world what Yossarian posts on ozgolf is really quite tame in comparison. At the same time that does not give one carte blanche to be a complete knob (which maybe I have now and then) and at times I have copped what I deserved.

This brings me to one of my central points; if you have an issue with something don’t always assume ignoring it is the best way to go. If I post something that annoys you call me on it. If I have offended you PM me with the reasons why and I will most likely apologise and not repeat the dose. If I make you scared to post on the forum let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

This does not mean that I will not call you on certain posts. I have been guilty in the past of not engaging in reasoned debate on issues of politics and the like. But so has the entire forum in my opinion and I can’t be bothered really engaging in such debate with people that post one line responses or just say Liberal crap, Labor crap.

I’ve gone on a tangent here. My point is that from my reading of this situation the moderation team/admin team and others were seriously unhappy with the way the forum was going for quite some time. Why was there zero communication about this? Are we to read the tea leaves each morning and take note of the stars? I personally had zero idea about the issues that have since been partially explained. How do you expect whatever change you want to bring about to occur if you just let it build until you feel your only option is to shut the place down and punt a few members. The forum is made up mostly of adults. Adults that have grown up in a democracy in full bloom, I feel that most of us responded better to reasoned decisions than deletions of posts without reason.

At this point I would again like to state that I am not to upset about any of this. I am not sure why this has blown out to almost a page now. Maybe I just like the attention.

IN GLORIOUS NORTH KOREA BEACH PARTY ALL THE TIME

Is the vision of the admin team the only applicable vision? All the long terms members have contributed to the place in some way. Organised events, donated, posted. I feel as if that counts for very little in the eyes of the admin team. The introduction of the infraction system and the pro shop post limit are two examples of this. I don’t think they meet a lot of people’s ideas about the site and frankly I think they are ridiculous. The lack of real consultation about this was a bad move.

A BRIDGE TOO FAR?

Moving on. I still have no real idea why I was banned. I was told I was a constant troll, and that I trolled, that trolls were bad. I asked for examples and was told that questioning why a thread was removed was trolling. I disagree. I am just a curious guy and like to have a bit of transparency and understanding of why things occur. I do post a lot of bullshit, so put me on ignore. I do tend to tease/ latch on to certain foibles of posters. If that annoys you so much tell me to stop. I probably will.

MAYBE A SLIGHT DIG

Silent supporters are great, except they don’t tend to turn up to or organise golf days. They also don’t keep a forum ticking over. If a forum doesn’t tick over is it really a forum? I don’t know. These are all questions.

I liked ozgolf. I thought it mostly liked me. The handling of the situation was abysmal. Members have been lost. I am probably one of those. I still haven’t seen many people flood back in. Maybe they drifted from the forum for a multitude of reasons. Maybe trying to make the forum what you want it to be doesn’t work. It is a pretty organic thing. Does a forum need a Yossarian? Was I the villain ozgolf needed back then but not the one it deserved?

THE END IS NO END

To cut this short, I am not angry and accept that I am not everyone’s cup of tea. Sorry .

I’m going to have some lunch now.

Go Yoss.

Yossarian
26th July 2014, 01:58 PM
Oh and if y'all just want to move on and make like nothing happened that is also sweet with me. Just delete and I'll be like Keyser Söze.

Dotty
26th July 2014, 02:10 PM
Oh and if y'all just want to move on and make like nothing happened that is also sweet with me. Just delete and I'll be like Keyser Söze.
Where's the like button?

simmsy
26th July 2014, 02:32 PM
excellent point @dotty

mudrat
26th July 2014, 02:34 PM

shazza_rs
26th July 2014, 02:41 PM
I suggest we grab ourselves a drink and head over here (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/29517-The-Ozgolf-chill-out-and-group-hug-room.) and let bygones be bygones.

jimandr
26th July 2014, 02:55 PM
I can't speak for all the moderating team, but I'm with Shaz as far as us trying to start afresh and trying to restore some goodwill.

So, this thread is still here for the time being.

But, I don't think this is a debate we need to have any longer. We have our rules document (ignore the infractions part of it). People who follow those rules are welcome. Those who don't like those rules have other places to post about golf and other subjects of interest to them.

BenM
26th July 2014, 03:52 PM
Yoss, I have been critical of your posting style, I know.

This one contains some good and fair points which I personally agree with. As I said to someone privately the other day, I am hoping that with some of the changes instigated recently, some of the things you would consider mistakes won't happen again. Sure, it won't undo the damage and it won't bring back people who've chosen to leave, but it will make the forum a better place in the long run.

There are a fair few moderators now. I hope we will all do our best to communicate better if we think users are consistently stepping out of line. If you stay and post here (and you're welcome to) then the same rules will apply to everyone. We hope that given time some users will come back and new users will continue to join. But there is no bad blood from me at least towards the other place - I wish everyone involved in running it the best of luck, I still intend to visit there too as there a lot of good people there also.

WBennett
26th July 2014, 04:17 PM
Yoss

You are a troll. I was always happy to call out your trolling. Forums need a resident troll and you did a great job of it.
The new group of moderators are a massive group of unquestioning yes men and women.

150 posts to post in the pro shop is ridiculous when you allow Ray to run a full shop through the forum.

Thommo got banned for what? Oh, nobody knows?

BenM
26th July 2014, 04:43 PM
Sorry Benno, but I am a bit offended by that comment about the moderators. If I don't think something is right I'll say so, and if I didn't think I could make a difference and speak my mind, I wouldn't have taken it on. If I don't feel my opinions are being taken on board, I'll pull the pin.

The 150 post limit, and Ray's selling? Sure, let's talk about that - it probably deserves it's own thread though.

Can't speak for Thommo's banning though - and probably better not to go over old ground too much anyway.

ddasey
26th July 2014, 04:46 PM
I understand a lot of water has passed under the bridge.

With this movement we have seen many changes, including a change in the moderation team.

The only question I have, with all this change there has been no mention or thanks to Watty.

Surely he deserves an honorable mention ??

jimandr
26th July 2014, 04:50 PM
Watty is a friend of ours. He'd probably be embarassed to be singled out.

Captain Nemo
26th July 2014, 04:50 PM
Yoss

You are a troll. I was always happy to call out your trolling. Forums need a resident troll and you did a great job of it.
The new group of moderators are a massive group of unquestioning yes men and women.

150 posts to post in the pro shop is ridiculous when you allow Ray to run a full shop through the forum.

Thommo got banned for what? Oh, nobody knows?

Really?

WBennett
26th July 2014, 04:52 PM
Failure to drop a grudge. And not by him. Allegedly.

BenM
26th July 2014, 05:09 PM
The only question I have, with all this change there has been no mention or thanks to Watty.

Surely he deserves an honorable mention ??

You are not the first person to say this. I thanked him yesterday, but I doubt I'm the person/people he wants to hear it from.

Everyone who has had involvement with running the forum previously deserves thanks - not just MegaWatty. We wouldn't have got this far without Goughy, MegaWatty and probably many others - I can't name them all because a lot of it is before my time. But on behalf of everyone involved, thankyou for all the effort. I know only too well how much hard work and crap you have to put up with to moderate / admin a forum like this one.

Yossarian
26th July 2014, 05:11 PM
I accept your thanks BenM.

BenM
26th July 2014, 05:42 PM
I have to go out for a while and won't be responding for a few hours at least. If this thread gets closed in my absence, it's not because I don't want to listen and answer stuff, but more because we don't want it becoming another session of complaints about things that have been answered already or can't be changed. We get that people are annoyed - I was too. But we really need to move on.

mike
26th July 2014, 05:54 PM
The digs at Goughy are disgraceful.

mrbluu
26th July 2014, 06:04 PM
The digs at Goughy are disgraceful.

+1

Captain Nemo
26th July 2014, 06:24 PM
Failure to drop a grudge. And not by him. Allegedly.

Moderated
Wow, ok.
I noticed he was hardly ever on here, just thought he was busy with the twins and stuff.....

shazza_rs
26th July 2014, 06:26 PM
Wrong Tommo Titleist.

Tomson is busy with the twins. Moe Norman is the Tommo they are talking about.

markTHEblake
26th July 2014, 06:41 PM
I think Yossarian is a stellar member of the community, and frankly never saw a single post from him that I thought would upset anyone. There are a few others I cant say the same about.
Yoss should be bronzed and mounted, and I think he would like that.

Captain Nemo
26th July 2014, 07:39 PM
Wrong Tommo Titleist.

Tomson is busy with the twins. Moe Norman is the Tommo they are talking about.
Thanks Shazz, that clears that up, and my thinking was right!

Ned
26th July 2014, 08:00 PM
Burp, who are the Mods?4

BenM
26th July 2014, 08:28 PM
The thread will get closed if comments aren't constructive.

Ned - see http://ozgolf.net/showgroups.php

Ned
27th July 2014, 05:46 AM
Hey I was pissed last night but all's I asked was who were the Mods were? (or did I do something wrong)

PeteyD
27th July 2014, 06:08 AM
All good mate, see Ben's link above.

Ron Burgundy
27th July 2014, 03:21 PM
I haven't been here long enough to know all the backstories involving Yoss, but he's always been one of my favourite posters. There were some real gems in there (amongst a reasonable amount of nonsense). If anything he did was classed as trolling then I must have missed it or the threshold for trolling must be set pretty low.

And frankly, anyone surprised that a guy with that username would occasionally push boundaries needs to read more books.

I hope he stays as the site will be poorer for his absence. But I also hope everyone can just move on. What's done is done and the level of bitching and passive aggression is getting boring.

mrbluu
27th July 2014, 03:59 PM
What's done is done and the level of bitching and passive aggression is getting boring.

Well said RB, I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Lucasto23
27th July 2014, 04:53 PM
Well said RB, I couldn't agree with you more!!! I will second that