PDA

View Full Version : Bio Cell and Jetspeed headweights

benno_r
21st July 2014, 07:29 AM
The fat lady has sung on my Darwin driver (9064LS). Looking to put together a cheap driver for up here, and I have hit and liked both the Bio Cell and Jetspeed drivers.

Since I play drivers at 44.75" @ D3, I need a driver with a headweight of around 200ish grams.

Can somebody who owns one or both of these drivers be able to measure the headweight for me?

Cheers,
ben

backintheswing
21st July 2014, 07:36 AM
I will weigh my bio cell head later today. Don't have a jetspeed head yet though.

Steve57
21st July 2014, 05:45 PM
Ben,
The Jetspeeds vary quite a bit.
Check out the Jetspeed thread.
Titleist had one that came in well under 200g and mine was just on 200g.
I have since added another 4g weight and also stuffed it with cotton wool balls so that it now has a swingweight of D2 with the stock shaft at 45*.
Cheers
Steve

benno_r
21st July 2014, 07:07 PM
Ben,
The Jetspeeds vary quite a bit.
Check out the Jetspeed thread.
Titleist had one that came in well under 200g and mine was just on 200g.
I have since added another 4g weight and also stuffed it with cotton wool balls so that it now has a swingweight of D2 with the stock shaft at 45*.
Cheers
Steve

Sweet. 204g seems to be the money spot for me, but I see you can get Jetspeed weights on eBay (if I go that way). G25 is another option, and they have a nice heavy head.

See what happens.

mrbluu
21st July 2014, 07:45 PM
I can weigh my JetSpeed for u in about an hour after the kids go to bed.

benno_r
21st July 2014, 07:50 PM
I can weigh my JetSpeed for u in about an hour after the kids go to bed.

Cheers Bluu. I kinda feel dirty that the Jetspeed is in the mix, but you all have broken me down...

Golfwhang
21st July 2014, 07:57 PM
Hey benno_r why not just get another 9064ls

benno_r
21st July 2014, 08:21 PM
Nah, it's going because it is just too unforgiving. It's great when you get it, but deadly when you don't.

Plus, you cant tinker with the shaft when it's glued in.

mrbluu
21st July 2014, 08:22 PM
Cheers Bluu. I kinda feel dirty that the Jetspeed is in the mix, but you all have broken me down...

My JetSpeed is 192g which explains the C8 swing weight.

benno_r
21st July 2014, 08:27 PM

Jeebus that's light! Might have to take scales with me if I want to buy one.

mrbluu
21st July 2014, 08:28 PM
Jeebus that's light! Might have to take scales with me if I want to buy one.

That's what I was thinking as well. Lucky I like lighter swing weights.

benno_r
22nd July 2014, 07:23 AM
Has anyone pulled the weight port out of a Jetspeed and weighed it? I see there are aftermarket weights on eBay.

Might be an option to get them heavier.

benno_r
22nd July 2014, 07:30 AM

I suppose that is without the adapter, does anyone know what an adapter weighs?

Steve57
22nd July 2014, 08:04 AM
Has anyone pulled the weight port out of a Jetspeed and weighed it? I see there are aftermarket weights on eBay.

Might be an option to get them heavier.
Yep mine was only 2g so I bought a 4g one.
In hindsight I should have got an 8g but the cotton wool balls have done the trick!

benno_r
22nd July 2014, 08:10 AM
Yep mine was only 2g so I bought a 4g one.
In hindsight I should have got an 8g but the cotton wool balls have done the trick!

Cool, 192g + tip (4-5g) + 6g more by using 8g weight = winning!

Steve57
22nd July 2014, 08:27 AM
Just make sure you weigh the head first as from memory, each port weight is different.
A quick read of the TM Jetspeed thread in the Equip Me section will confirm this.

Daves
22nd July 2014, 08:36 AM

Seems a bit light for the adaptor. I don't have a spare TM one to weigh, but Callaway and Titty ones weigh 10 grams with ferrule, add 3 grams for the screw.

benno_r
22nd July 2014, 09:04 AM
Seems a bit light for the adaptor. I don't have a spare TM one to weigh, but Callaway and Titty ones weigh 10 grams with ferrule, add 3 grams for the screw.

Good point Dave!

Anyone got a TM tip they can weigh?

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2014, 09:52 AM
I suppose that is without the adapter, does anyone know what an adapter weighs?

Bingo, don't fall for the rookie mistake of not adding adaptor weight. From memory mine was 7 grams. This took my head to 198 - 199 and i only needed a teeny amount of lead to hit 200.

3Puttpete
22nd July 2014, 10:03 AM
Bingo, don't fall for the rookie mistake of not adding adaptor weight. From memory mine was 7 grams. This took my head to 198 - 199 and i only needed a teeny amount of lead to hit 200.

Can you really tell the difference between 198 and 200 grams?

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2014, 10:17 AM
Can you really tell the difference between 198 and 200 grams?

With my super short swing and violent transition - yes unfortunately. A few grams of lead tape have made the difference between not loading a shaft and having it come to life on quite a few occasions.

A bit of lead can also take out some of the tinny sound common in a lot of drivers now.

3Puttpete
22nd July 2014, 11:07 AM
With my super short swing and violent transition - yes unfortunately. A few grams of lead tape have made the difference between not loading a shaft and having it come to life on quite a few occasions.

A bit of lead can also take out some of the tinny sound common in a lot of drivers now.

I believe you think you can but I'm calling BS.

Given 2 of any different head/shaft/grip combo, one 2 grams heavier than the other, you'd have no better chance than luck of picking then in a blind test.

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2014, 11:21 AM
I believe you think you can but I'm calling BS.

Given 2 of any different head/shaft/grip combo, one 2 grams heavier than the other, you'd have no better chance than luck of picking then in a blind test.

You can call whatever you like, you've not seen my swing nor the results. Just one example was with an Adams LS and HD7 in strong flex. Was hitting it everywhere, felt like a pole, no life. Added a couple of grams, similar, added a couple more and BAM - different club. All of a sudden the ball was exploding off the face straight and long and the club felt lively and sweet.

Added two grams to my irons thru the set and picked up enough height to be instantly noticable.

Your statement doesn't reflect what i am talking about. We are not talking 2 different combo's, we are talking clubs i have hit 20 or 30 times then added 2 or 3 grams to and instantly noticed a difference that was borne out by subsequent results.

Daves
22nd July 2014, 12:05 PM
There is feel and there are also results. Some won't feel the difference, because they aren't that way sensitised. A couple of grams can make a small, but meaningful difference in where you contact the ball on the face.

3oneday
22nd July 2014, 12:13 PM
Given TNO's attention to detail, I'd say he'd notice.

I wouldn't, maybe most here wouldn't, hell I can't even remember what driver I was using 2 months ago. NFI.

3Puttpete
22nd July 2014, 12:38 PM
TNO, your first statement clearly implies you specifically set out to ensure the head weighed 200 rather than 198 or 199 grams.

You were very specific and the clear implication is that you can tell the difference.

I maintain that if you hit 100 balls with the same club while someone randomly added and removed weight to change it from 198 to 199 to 200 grams you would have no hope of picking the difference each shot.

3Puttpete
22nd July 2014, 12:40 PM
Given TNO's attention to detail, I'd say he'd notice.

I wouldn't, maybe most here wouldn't, hell I can't even remember what driver I was using 2 months ago. NFI.

There's a difference between knowing and being able to tell.

3oneday
22nd July 2014, 12:42 PM
There's a difference between knowing and being able to tell.Yep, there probably is.

He knows what he added to be able to tell the difference?

Anyway, the need to argue and be right around here lately is clearly heightened. I'll bow out, lifes hard enough :)

mrbluu
22nd July 2014, 12:52 PM
Yep, there probably is.

Anyway, the need to argue and be right around here lately is clearly heightened. I'll bow out, lifes hard enough :)

Can you remember the driver you were using when we first played at Cumberland??

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2014, 01:43 PM
TNO, your first statement clearly implies you specifically set out to ensure the head weighed 200 rather than 198 or 199 grams.

You were very specific and the clear implication is that you can tell the difference.

I maintain that if you hit 100 balls with the same club while someone randomly added and removed weight to change it from 198 to 199 to 200 grams you would have no hope of picking the difference each shot.

3PP - i could absolutely tell the difference when i added the last two grams to the LS as i have with numerous other clubs during tuning. If you don't believe this then too bad, no biggie.

200 grams was my target weight for the Jetspeed head because that is always my starting point (i did not even hit it prior) if the weight of the head is not over it already. From there i use tape according to how the club goes/feels/performs for me. After about 6 grams i give up on that set up if it hasn't hit the spot as it gets too heavy for me personally. I may try another shaft or sell the head. Most of my shafts are trimmed/tipped to be played around 45" and 200 gram headweight.

If i set up the LS again exactly as i had it prior to the last 2 grams then 2 grams were randomly taken off and put back on over series of say 6 shots guaranteed i would know.

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2014, 01:51 PM
Yep, there probably is.

The good old cliche is that 99% + of golfers would not know if you added a few grams of lead tape/changed the SW. It goes on to say a Tiger Woods would know etc but choppers basically no.

This cliche would be accurate. I know not because i am good, talented, have better feel or any of that wishful - i just have as short a swing as you will ever see all the while hitting distances i have no right to hit (which i am not saying is long whatsoever, but very very long for the silly short backswing i have).

My swing usually makes a mark on those i play with, not always to my benefit LOL. If i had a dollar for every time i've been asked if i was a hockey player i'd buy a few TPHD's. Another common observation is how much i bend the shaft in transition, but i think that would be an optical illusion. It really is a flurry.

TheNuclearOne
22nd July 2014, 01:54 PM
There is feel and there are also results. Some won't feel the difference, because they aren't that way sensitised. A couple of grams can make a small, but meaningful difference in where you contact the ball on the face.

A guy that knows what he is talking about. Before the last couple of grams on the LS hits wanted to be low on the heel. I can't have been loading the shaft. When i use proper x flex it's similar, feels like a pole, no life, poor contact etc. Very ugly.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2014, 07:07 PM

I used to think it was BS, until I couldn't middle my Razr Fit when I first got it.

A little swing weighting by Tourfit and it was coming out of the screws every time.

You might not "feel" the weight difference, but the results difference can be huge.

Steve57
22nd July 2014, 07:40 PM
Spot on Dave.
Whilst you probably can't feel the actual difference in weight, the difference in results can be enormous.
I have a roll of lead tape handy for this purpose alone.
Can turn an ordinary driver into a bomber!

TheNuclearOne
23rd July 2014, 01:51 AM
Spot on Dave.
Whilst you probably can't feel the actual difference in weight, the difference in results can be enormous.
I have a roll of lead tape handy for this purpose alone.
Can turn an ordinary driver into a bomber!

Looks like i'm not alone then! Great stuff. LOVE my lead tape.