PDA

View Full Version : Do I stay Ping or what? Shaft

leighthebee
19th July 2014, 02:58 PM
So I currently run S58's but thinking of going to i25's.....

Used to run 704cb's, then Racs. Moved to Ping purely from a finish perspective. They look the same after years of play.

Waiting on the new Gorge wedges, the G30 driver, and hybrids. Until they are available, might outlay for new irons.

What's the go with shafts these days. Used to use s300 but have zz65. What's KBS which seem to be in high end clubs these days.

golf2013
19th July 2014, 04:59 PM
I have used most models of ping irons and the S55s are the best ping irons yet in my opinion kbs tours arent an upcharge on the s300s I found.

Captain Nemo
19th July 2014, 05:10 PM
I have KBS tours in my i20's and won't change them.
Going to try some Modus 120's in my S56's...

Stuartd147
19th July 2014, 05:29 PM
I had i15's with zz65's, nice combo but lacked feel for me, then moved to s56's (shorter but accurate) and now i25's with Tour V's, feel great and longer. Recently tried s55's demos and will get a used set of these in near future. Current Pings are great clubs, nearly all their touring pros have moved to s55's.

spanner039
19th July 2014, 08:11 PM
Can only comment on the kbs put them in my Ansers turned them into completely different irons, smooth, high flight, great spin and i feel a more consistent than the px.

The Ansers have gone but the kbs will now be my shaft forever

benno_r
19th July 2014, 09:38 PM
Been playing my i5's with Modus 120S a fair bit lately, and the more I hit them, the more I love them. Had i20 and g25 with CFS stiff, but to me, Modus are where it's at. Well worth a try.

FuzzyJuzzy
20th July 2014, 05:47 AM
A mate of mine had a brief fitting at PPGL last week and in passing the guy (William) said in a few years we'll all be playing graphite shafts in our irons. My mate didn't explain any further...does that make any sense to any of you blokes? William was even suggesting to my mate (34yo, 8 handicap, quite smooth swing) that he get graphite shafts in his irons (MP54s) right now. I'm sure there's legit reasoning to it, but what do you blokes reckon?

3oneday
20th July 2014, 08:16 AM
Yep, i can see that being relevant to this thread :)

Leigh, I think you'll be disappointed going from 58's to i25's, the i series are still chunky compared to the s's, unless you think about a combo set of 55's and 25's?

I am playng a set of i10/s57, 57's are 6 to wedge. You might like the thinner topline in the shorter irons.

leighthebee
20th July 2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. Seems a lot of debate about shaft. Certainly varied opinion. For the clubs, sight line on the i25's didn't seem too noticeable. I'd only need to hit one decent shot to overcome that thought. I managed to move from blades so this would be easy I would guess. My thinking for going to the i25's was purely from a forgiveness perspective.

I am doing major swing renovation at the moment so I'm also thinking that change should wait until these changes set in.

That said I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop the 3 iron and replace the TP hybrid s300 with a Ping G30 graphite. Same also for the Cobra 3 Wood. Move to a Ping G30.

As for wedges, my low bounce Mizunos are just no good for the fluffy soggy lies at Pacific. I really like the idea of cavity wedges and contemplating an i25 sandier with a Gorge 60 WS.

Driver I replaced last year with a Cobra Amp Cell w/ stock Kuro Kage and that driver is unbelievable.

Sorry for the club waffle.

As for iron shafts. The zz65 runs well enough. Is this even still available or is CFS or whatever's it's called the stock Ping shaft.

Captain Nemo
20th July 2014, 05:28 PM
I don't think zz65 are an option anymore...

davidw88
20th July 2014, 06:12 PM
I think you must still be able to get them as they come up as the shaft recommendation when I done the online fitting on the ping website

Captain Nemo
20th July 2014, 07:27 PM
Only one way to find out....

davidw88
20th July 2014, 07:33 PM
Just had a look it has them for s55 but not for i25 can't see why they wouldn't put them in i25 if you wanted.

GSP
21st July 2014, 08:43 AM
Go to a ping fitting and i'm sure they'll have all the shafts to try

FuzzyJuzzy
23rd July 2014, 04:01 PM
A mate of mine had a brief fitting at PPGL last week and in passing the guy (William) said in a few years we'll all be playing graphite shafts in our irons. My mate didn't explain any further...does that make any sense to any of you blokes? William was even suggesting to my mate (34yo, 8 handicap, quite smooth swing) that he get graphite shafts in his irons (MP54s) right now. I'm sure there's legit reasoning to it, but what do you blokes reckon?

There was a pic of Dustin Johnson on the range at Royal Liverpool last week test-driving a TaylorMade UDI with a graphite shaft...