PDA

View Full Version : Grips

GolfTourettes
15th July 2014, 09:04 AM
In the market for some new grips. Has anyone got any feedback on let's say 'more value' grips? Such as Lamkin, Iomic, Innovation?

Is a grip a grip? Or is it a case of Golf Pride or it's not good.

Cheers

virge666
15th July 2014, 09:05 AM
UST Tour 360 grips.
Pure grips.
Stargrips Sidewinders.

All three are better than golf pride and last a lot longer.

3oneday
15th July 2014, 09:16 AM
I use Pure grips on my irons, I think they're very good.

PeteyD
15th July 2014, 09:27 AM
Sidewinders are my favourite, but I mainly have Pure grips which are very good as well.

Courty
15th July 2014, 09:34 AM
Interesting... I'm keen to try Pure when my multi-compounds need replacement. How are they in the wet?

benno_r
15th July 2014, 09:42 AM
Interesting... I'm keen to try Pure when my multi-compounds need replacement. How are they in the wet?

Not a huge fan of the Wrap or Pro, but I have changed everything to the DTX model, and so far very happy. Replaced Multi-Compounds.

Used them in light rain, but not a downpour, and they worked a treat.

Daves
15th July 2014, 09:46 AM
Pure Wraps are my favorite grip. I find them excellent in the wet, as long as you keep them tacky by keeping them clean. I give them a regular wipe down with a wet rag. A quick hand rub also works if they are wet.

Waggle
15th July 2014, 09:48 AM
I love wraps but have only ever gamed the GP's. Might have to look elsewhere next time I regrip.

Waggle
15th July 2014, 09:48 AM
A quick hand rub also works if they are wet.

That's what she said.

GolfTourettes
15th July 2014, 10:06 AM
Ok so PURE seems to be getting a great wrap! Are they something I can get delivered and install myself? Or if I order the grips do most pro shops have the air compressor required?

As I haven't seen PURE grips readily available in any shop.

How did you all get yours?

benno_r
15th July 2014, 10:18 AM
I get them through this guy on eBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Center-Cut-Custom-Golf/Pure-Grips-/_i.html?_fsub=4747350016&_sop=16&rt=nc

Will also send mixed colours if you message him first to check quantities.

pauly
15th July 2014, 10:21 AM
I've been using UTx this year, best grip i've ever used bar none - pure grips are made out of epdm rubber which is a very similar compound to Lamkin's Crossline models, they last for ages but lack the feel or tack that I desire.
UTx i've been using are awesome, but honestly - they don't last as long as some other models (similar life span to the NDMC's i guess), i've been rotating the higher swing speed clubs when they get a bit of a wear patch.
So soft and sticky, but they're also cords (i hate cords usually, too harsh for me ~ )

if you want to buy pure grips though, i may have a rather enormous stash

benno_r
15th July 2014, 10:23 AM
if you want to buy pure grips though, i may have a rather enormous stash

Any DTX Midsize in there?

pauly
15th July 2014, 10:30 AM
nah just pros and pro wraps, but all the colours and midsize too

Captain Nemo
15th July 2014, 10:38 AM
http://www.puregrips.com/
Just get them here and get the gun to do it yourself....

GolfTourettes
15th July 2014, 10:39 AM

Does the gun already come with the air compressor as well?

Captain Nemo
15th July 2014, 10:41 AM
You prob have to negotiate that....

pauly
15th July 2014, 10:41 AM
yer i've got the guns too haha :D

they're pretty good actually

air compressors are surprisingly cheap if you goto supercheap or bunnings or something

GolfTourettes
15th July 2014, 10:43 AM
yer i've got the guns too haha :D

they're pretty good actually

air compressors are surprisingly cheap if you goto supercheap or bunnings or something

What colours you got? What prices we talking?

pauly
15th July 2014, 10:54 AM
i've got the older model ones, like these http://thesandtrap.com/imgs/accessories/puregrip_lineup.jpg
and i have all of the ones in the picture in large volumes

i have a small selection of the newer models including dtx and the full coloured ones, but nothing of any volume

Coldtopper
15th July 2014, 11:00 AM
Sounds like you may need some practice first GT! Get a compressor and let us know the results. Or just pay for someone to do it for you

GolfTourettes
15th July 2014, 11:06 AM
Sounds like you may need some practice first GT! Get a compressor and let us know the results. Or just pay for someone to do it for you

Well I was planning on ordering some grips then taking them to the local pro and getting him to install them. Coz the colours they always have there are so bland!

pauly
15th July 2014, 11:17 AM
most pro shops can order whatever you'd like in whatever colour you'd like (trust me i sell them to them), they will charge you a profit on the grips
imo if you're sourcing them yourself, just put them on yourself - it's not hard, you could do it with a stanley knife, double sided tape, masking tape and some dishwashing liquid mixed with water (using your knees as a vise clamp)
if you've got a good mate who's the pro then by all means get him to do it, but they have to earn a living too

Dotty
15th July 2014, 11:54 AM
Professional brand are very mediocre. I'm not sure about Innovation.
Lamkin and Ionic cost the same as the equivalent Golf Pride. (I think I paid $8 grip retail unfitted for GP Tour Velvets midsize.)

Thornleigh Range have $7 and $10 buckets of grips that they will fit for free.
If you don't like bland, $10 for UST Mamiya in red (which I have on everything) or white Black Widow grips.

GolfTourettes
15th July 2014, 11:56 AM
Professional brand are very mediocre. I'm not sure about Innovation.
Lamkin and Ionic cost the same as the equivalent Golf Pride. (I think I paid $8 grip retail unfitted for GP Tour Velvets midsize.)

Thornleigh Range have $7 and $10 buckets of grips that they will fit for free.
If you don't like bland, $10 for UST Mamiya in red (which I have on everything) or white Black Widow grips.

Thanks. I've always wanted to checkout Thornleigh all the more reason too.

Dotty
15th July 2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks. I've always wanted to checkout Thornleigh all the more reason too.
They used to be on the specials table, as you walk out to the mats, but I noticed that they have been demoted to down beside the door, as you walk back in.

Ferrins
15th July 2014, 12:34 PM
Never owned any club for more than 10 rounds so wouldn't know.

davepuppies
15th July 2014, 12:47 PM
I have always used golf pride tour wrap cords, with the cord roughed up with a steak knife.

Everyone thinks it's weird, but it gives incredible grip/ traction, especially in the wet or when I am sweating like a racehorse (all the time)

Courty
15th July 2014, 01:24 PM
Not a huge fan of the Wrap or Pro, but I have changed everything to the DTX model, and so far very happy. Replaced Multi-Compounds.

Used them in light rain, but not a downpour, and they worked a treat.

Thanks Benno. It was the DTX that I was looking at.

I'll keep them in mind.

Outcast
15th July 2014, 01:29 PM

They're pretty damn good Courty... I've used Pure Pros up here in Cairns during the wet season & was impressed with just how tacky they were. Will be putting Pures on my current clubs when the OEM grips are worn.

Courty
15th July 2014, 02:00 PM
They're pretty damn good Courty... I've used Pure Pros up here in Cairns during the wet season & was impressed with just how tacky they were. Will be putting Pures on my current clubs when the OEM grips are worn.

Thanks mate. That's good to know, although I think I'll stick to the DTX when it's time to re-grip. I just like the peace of mind having the extra traction.

PeteyD
15th July 2014, 02:02 PM
I use the pros, never had an issue with slipping. I would like to try the wraps.

Mika_the_golfer
15th July 2014, 02:54 PM
Anyone got any feedback on black widow grips?

mrbluu
15th July 2014, 04:59 PM
Anyone got any feedback on black widow grips?

My mate has some and they are ok for the price. The cheaper grips seem to wear out quicker.

s12raider
15th July 2014, 11:24 PM
Anyone comment on pure pro vs detox? Just wanting to know thoughts on differences. I use grip master as sweat a lot and gloves are not my friend...

yoyo
16th July 2014, 08:21 AM
I swung some of the new nike's the other day and they come standard with white golf pride grips, not sure what model. They look shiny and like theyd be slippery, but they were quite tacky, i quite liked them. Im sure one of u guys would know what they are.

Waggle
16th July 2014, 08:34 AM
Tour wrap? I like wraps the best, never have they been an issue in the wet.

pauly
16th July 2014, 10:01 AM
those are gp 2g wraps, they start off great, so tacky - and you can extend their life with proper maintenance, though honestly i cbf to be that stringent with my grip cleaning :(

Daves
16th July 2014, 10:06 AM
those are gp 2g wraps, they start off great, so tacky - and you can extend their life with proper maintenance, though honestly i cbf to be that stringent with my grip cleaning :(

I gather you work in the industry pauly. You didn't work in Capalaba at one stage? and stand on the wrong side of the ball? (or the right side as Sir Bob says).

pauly
16th July 2014, 10:18 AM
i do, but that's not me, i hack at it from the correct side

Pieman
16th July 2014, 05:25 PM

How much do they charge to ship to Aus?

blurry
16th July 2014, 07:07 PM
I've been using UTx this year, best grip i've ever used bar none - pure grips are made out of epdm rubber which is a very similar compound to Lamkin's Crossline models, they last for ages but lack the feel or tack that I desire.UTx i've been using are awesome, but honestly - they don't last as long as some other models (similar life span to the NDMC's i guess), i've been rotating the higher swing speed clubs when they get a bit of a wear patch.So soft and sticky, but they're also cords (i hate cords usually, too harsh for me ~ )if you want to buy pure grips though, i may have a rather enormous stash I'd like to buy some pure pros from you if you are willing to sell Only need 7 in blue if you could Cheers blurry

Daves
16th July 2014, 07:36 PM

How much do they charge to ship to Aus?

I don't think they ship to Australia anymore. Not since they appointed an Australian Distributor. We used to have a Ozgolf deal direct with Pure in the US, but that unfortunately lapsed once the Aussie Distributor was in place.

Rockbottom sell a few packs of 13 grips plus gun, otherwise eBay is your friend.

Courty
16th July 2014, 08:43 PM
I don't think they ship to Australia anymore. Not since they appointed an Australian Distributor. We used to have a Ozgolf deal direct with Pure in the US, but that unfortunately lapsed once the Aussie Distributor was in place.

Rockbottom sell a few packs of 13 grips plus gun, otherwise eBay is your friend.

Who is the distributor?

Daves
16th July 2014, 08:49 PM
Who is the distributor?

Golf National;

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/22564-PURE-Grips-Golf-National

Courty
16th July 2014, 09:50 PM
Golf National;

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/22564-PURE-Grips-Golf-National

Sweet, thanks Daves.

Haystacks
17th July 2014, 09:00 AM
I have always used golf pride tour wrap cords, with the cord roughed up with a steak knife.

Everyone thinks it's weird, but it gives incredible grip/ traction, especially in the wet or when I am sweating like a racehorse (all the time)

Easily mistaken for a racehorse...built for speed!

davepuppies
17th July 2014, 01:21 PM
Easily mistaken for a racehorse...built for speed!

Or eating out of a trough........ Either way....

Haystacks
17th July 2014, 01:47 PM
Or eating out of a trough........ Either way....

:)