PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - WiFi issues

mrbluu
14th July 2014, 02:49 PM
So I got an issue with my emachine netbook after the most recent windows update over the weekend of it not picking up the WiFi singal from my netcomm modem. The WiFi is still working as I'm using it on other devices. The netbook WiFi is working as its picking up the signal for my neighbors WiFi and I have been able to tether it to my mobile.

Help please.

oncewasagolfer
14th July 2014, 03:22 PM
Have you refreshed the list of available networks?

mrbluu
14th July 2014, 03:24 PM
Have you refreshed the list of available networks? Yep. Even reset the modem and restarted the netbook.

Lobsta
14th July 2014, 10:14 PM
Try returning to the restore point before the update and see if it still connects again. Maybe hold off updates until the next one. They can occasionally bugger up wierd things like that, wifi in particular is a fickle beast I've heard.

mrbluu
14th July 2014, 10:27 PM
Try returning to the restore point before the update and see if it still connects again. Maybe hold off updates until the next one. They can occasionally bugger up wierd things like that, wifi in particular is a fickle beast I've heard.
Yep done that as well. Still picking up every wifi signal but from my modem.

Lobsta
14th July 2014, 10:31 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but have you checked that wifi is turned on? I know on my old laptop that there was both a physical switch on the laptop exterior and a software setting that I could change.

Lobsta
14th July 2014, 10:32 PM
Wait, re read your post, ignore my stupid question

Lobsta
14th July 2014, 10:35 PM
Have you tried manually entering the wifi network's ssid?

mrbluu
14th July 2014, 10:41 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but have you checked that wifi is turned on? I know on my old laptop that there was both a physical switch on the laptop exterior and a software setting that I could change.

Wait, re read your post, ignore my stupid question

Have you tried manually entering the wifi network's ssid?

Yep, done all the above.

markTHEblake
14th July 2014, 11:24 PM
derete dliver and instore again.

p.s. doesnt windows have a thingy where certain networks can be hidden?

Matt1979
15th July 2014, 08:02 AM
can you ping your modem ?

mrbluu
15th July 2014, 08:18 AM

Delete what and not sure??

can you ping your modem ?

Probably, how can I do that???

Daves
15th July 2014, 08:23 AM

I think he means uninstall and reinstall your driver. Not sure why that would work?, but might be worth a try.

You need to find out why your modem wifi isn't visible to your Netbook?

mrbluu
15th July 2014, 08:40 AM
I think he means uninstall and reinstall your driver. Not sure why that would work?, but might be worth a try.

You need to find out why your modem wifi isn't visible to your Netbook?

I've done that as well. Still got no idea.

The modem is visible to all other devices in the house and the netbook can pick up other WiFi signals. I also plugged it direct to the modem via Ethernet cable and it works fine. Just won't pick up the WiFi.

Daves
15th July 2014, 08:44 AM
I've done that as well. Still got no idea.

The modem is visible to all other devices in the house and the netbook can pick up other WiFi signals. I also plugged it direct to the modem via Ethernet cable and it works fine. Just won't pick up the WiFi.

Sounds like the Modem is set to be invisible to any unauthorised devices. Can you access the modem settings?

mrbluu
15th July 2014, 09:03 AM
That maybe the case but I havent changed any settings on the modem. Ill have a look again later.

talbo
15th July 2014, 12:19 PM
Sound like a firewall problem to me

Matt1979
15th July 2014, 01:10 PM
Delete what and not sure??

Probably, how can I do that???

go into comand prompt ( if you are using windows 7/8 hit the windows start icon and type in cmd to open comand prompt). then type in ipconfig. write down the default gateway IP address ( this should be your modem ). Then type ping {space} and type in the Default gateway IP address then hit enter. will let you know if you modem is responding to your pc. If not problem with modem

coalesce
15th July 2014, 01:13 PM
It would have to be able to connect to the wifi network for there to be a default gateway in the first place. Otherwise it will just say disconnected

idgolfguy
15th July 2014, 04:41 PM
Try the following to reset the network stack. https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=37620

mrbluu
15th July 2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys I will give it all a go.

I have tried the Virus/Malware scan as well.

coalesce
15th July 2014, 05:11 PM
You could try changing the name of your wireless connection on the router - the theory being that if there is something somehow cached about the connection on the netbook, it would now look like a new wireless connection - the downside being you'd have to reconnect all your other devices.

mrbluu
15th July 2014, 05:18 PM
You could try changing the name of your wireless connection on the router - the theory being that if there is something somehow cached about the connection on the netbook, it would now look like a new wireless connection - the downside being you'd have to reconnect all your other devices.

I might try that first. I can always change it back.