PDA

View Full Version : New toy on the way...

Courty
12th July 2004, 04:25 PM
For anyone who cares, I have one of these arriving shortly:
http://www.edwinwatts.com/images/products/Ben%20Hogan/BH5505-2.gif

Specs are:
No. 2
19 degrees
steel shaft (40.75")

I would have got a TM Rescue Mid, but the pro shop doesn't do TM, and I want to use up my vouchers.

McMw
12th July 2004, 04:31 PM
kinda like a RM3...

which I'm currently struggling with off the tee...but going great off the deck.. :roll:

Iain
12th July 2004, 04:31 PM
For anyone who cares, I have one of these arriving shortly:

Specs are:
No. 2
19 degrees
steel shaft (40.75")

I would have got a TM Rescue Mid, but the pro shop doesn't do TM, and I want to use up my vouchers.

Look forward to the review! Are these hook biased or neutral?

Iain

Courty
12th July 2004, 04:35 PM
Look forward to the review! Are these hook biased or neutral?

Wouldn't have a clue Iain. It'll be biased towards whichever way I happen to be swinging at the time. :wink:

I will do a review when I get it and compare it against an RM3 which belongs to a mate.

Iain
12th July 2004, 05:10 PM
Well since the Rescue is hook biased if you hit the Hogan the same, then we may be able to assume that it is hook biased also!!?

Courty
12th July 2004, 05:13 PM
Well since the Rescue is hook biased if you hit the Hogan the same, then we may be able to assume that it is hook biased also!!?

That assumption has merit in my opinion. The only problem is, I haven't seen the Hogan in the flesh yet, let alone hit one. :roll:

goughy
12th July 2004, 05:17 PM
The hogan's are spose to be neutral (as I've heard). I would guess they are spose to play similar to the rm tp's. I've also heard the titanium face on the hogans are a bit hotter.

I am very interested in your review, as I can see one of these in my bag in the very near future, even if I don't get to try one first. I've heard great things about the hogan, and it's so much cheaper than the rm. Golfworld in woomba has them for $249 steel, but I think someone else here has them for $219.

Is the steel shaft the dynalite gold? What flex?

McMw
12th July 2004, 09:55 PM
kinda like a RM3...

which I'm currently struggling with off the tee...but going great off the deck.. :roll:

Why don't you hit it off the deck, off the tee ?

coz I'm afraid I'll cold top it 20 yards infront of me...and no, I'm NOT JOKING!!! :oops:

also having the same problem with my 3wood...getting a lot of high shots off the tee, but yet, can hit it great off the deck!!! :roll:

AndyP
12th July 2004, 10:47 PM
I used the Hogan CFT Hybrid #2 with graphite shaft today. :|

Jarro
13th July 2004, 06:33 AM

..and :?: :? how'd it go :?:

AndyP
13th July 2004, 08:24 AM

You want an equipment review from an anti-ho? :-s

Iain
13th July 2004, 08:44 AM

Quit fooling yourself Andy, you're not an anti-ho, you may not be a HO yet, but you are on the brink!!! :roll: :P 8)

McMw
13th July 2004, 12:22 PM
slight T/J.... :)

got my 2 boxes this morning... :wink:

ignite driver - damn beautiful (the kid is already salivating I assume!)
ping putter - not too keen on the winn grip, might yank that off, and put on the funky multicolored royal crown putter grip!!! :wink:
cleve 53/56 new 588 wedges (gonna pass them to the pro soon)
callaway forged + 58/10 wedge - damn it's new... (might be hard to find someone for this)
KC PR rusty 53gap wedge (already got an interest)

might keep the ping and nike for me, but if ppl wanna take if off me, I'm not gonna say no!!! :lol:

Jarro
13th July 2004, 12:35 PM
Quit fooling yourself Andy, you're not an anti-ho, you may not be a HO yet, but you are on the brink!!! :roll: :P 8)

Brink..schmink....leave him alone, he's on my team ! :x

stop fooling yourselves you pair .... you both know you wanna be 'hos :roll:

if you really don't wanna be 'hos .... stop asking for advice about clubs off E-Bay :P

Courty
13th July 2004, 08:35 PM
[quote="jarro"][quote=AndyP]I used the Hogan CFT Hybrid #2 with graphite shaft today. :|

Come on, Andy. Ignore these threadjackers, what did you think of it? I'm very keen to hear. :roll:

AndyP
14th July 2004, 02:58 PM
Come on, Andy. Ignore these threadjackers, what did you think of it? I'm very keen to hear. :roll:

That eye-roll won't be getting you a review. My opinion is obviously not respected.

Courty
14th July 2004, 05:52 PM
That eye-roll won't be getting you a review. My opinion is obviously not respected.

Come on, mate. Don't be like that. I was rolling my eyes at the threadjackers :wink:

AndyP
15th July 2004, 10:34 AM
OK, OK. Now keep in mind that I am in pretty poor form at the moment, so this may be reflected in my “review” of this club. I also tried it out in Canberra so I guess the cold balls would also change the way I hit it, as well as the golf balls being colder too. :mrgreen:

I was hoping to try the Hogan Hybrid #3, TM RM #4 and Maxfli Ezydrive #4, to be able to get a bit of a comparison of the rescue clubs. Unfortunately the only demo rescue club they had was a Hogan #2. :x

When I used the TM RM #2 at Victoria Park earlier this year, I found that I was hitting plenty out of the sweet spot and the club felt really good. It made a good first impression on me. I didn’t find this with the Hogan. I rarely felt that I hit one sweetly.

When I was trying the club, I used it in conjunction with my 3 iron and 5W (21°). I thought the Hogan definitely went longer than both of these clubs. Left and right. :wink:

Although I wasn’t hitting it consistently on the day, I didn’t think that I had any significant extra control over the rescue than what I was getting from my 3 iron (which I struggle with most of the time) or 5 wood.

My feeling when I left the range, was that I wouldn’t be spending $220+ on this club to replace something in my bag. But perhaps I will give it another crack in Brisbane, when I am hitting it a bit better. 8)

Fishman Dan
15th July 2004, 10:45 AM
AP - you're gaaawwwnn. You're a HO just waiting to happen :? :lol:

Jarro
15th July 2004, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the 'Ho club AndyP :D

my bet is you'll buy the Taylormade RM #4 :wink:

they are an awesome club for us hacks :smt023

AndyP
15th July 2004, 11:39 AM
Welcome to the 'Ho club AndyP :D

You are kidding aren't you? :shock: If I was a ho, I would have made some mention about the flex of the shaft. I didn't say anything about how square the clubface was or some crap like that. No mentions of appearance. Buggered if I know what the grip on it was.

my bet is you'll buy the Taylormade RM #4 :wink:

Those things are over $200. Anti-hos don't spend that much money on a club.

:roll:

AndyP
15th July 2004, 11:42 AM
Did I also mention that I would not replace a Palmer Prism with this club.
Very anti-ho like behaviour.

These accusations are outrageous. [-X

AndyP
15th July 2004, 12:12 PM
Get off his back jarro...for gods sake. He's from Nambour GC after all....up there they still think its hip to listen to "big band" music,
You mean it isn't anymore? :shock:

and it was reported that a big group of players were recently seen ogling at another members recently purchased Wilson 1200's.
Mmmmmm, Wilson 1200's. =P~

Jarro
15th July 2004, 02:11 PM
Get off his back jarro...for gods sake. He's from Nambour GC after all....up there they still think its hip to listen to "big band" music, and it was reported that a big group of players were recently seen ogling at another members recently purchased Wilson 1200's.

well maybe you should take your bag to Nambour and unload it ..... you'd be sure to get a shitload of cash for the antiques :P

..then we can go to work on getting you a REAL bag full of clubs 8)

Jarro
15th July 2004, 02:38 PM
well why not get rid of all your clubs and start again :wink:

i mean, if you're gonna have lessons .... why not just get all new clubs to go with the new swing 8)

Jarro
15th July 2004, 04:05 PM
No

Courty
15th July 2004, 08:21 PM
My feeling when I left the range, was that I wouldn’t be spending $220+ on this club to replace something in my bag.

AndyP, what the hell?! :shock: I'm getting the Hogan #2 for $149 (with steel shaft) The graphite shafted model was $169 :!: :?

goughy
16th July 2004, 03:36 AM
Courty, I wanna know where you are getting those prices from :shock: . They are amazing. Golfworld in woomba has the steel for $249 (but will do a better price) and the hogan rep told me it was $229 retail. I think the best price I've heard is about $219.

If you can get them at that price I may have to send you some money :wink:

AndyP
16th July 2004, 07:16 AM
My feeling when I left the range, was that I wouldn’t be spending $220+ on this club to replace something in my bag.

AndyP, what the hell?! :shock: I'm getting the Hogan #2 for $149 (with steel shaft) The graphite shafted model was $169 :!: :?

Think they were about $240 at the Canberra International Golf Centre. I have seen them cheaper on ebay though. :?
Sounds like you've got yourself a bargain, Courty. 8)

Courty
16th July 2004, 04:45 PM
Courty, I wanna know where you are getting those prices from :shock: . They are amazing. Golfworld in woomba has the steel for $249 (but will do a better price) and the hogan rep told me it was $229 retail. I think the best price I've heard is about $219.

If you can get them at that price I may have to send you some money :wink:

For once it seems the pro shop is actually cheaper than everywhere else. Usually they are as dear as poison on the remote chance they can actually get what you want. I have a heap of vouchers I have won over the last few months, and I wanted to use them rather than pay out of my own pocket. I asked the resident pro for prices, and they are the prices he gave me. I wonder if he made a mistake? Too bad if he has, the price is the price.

Goughy, I will make sure everything is sweet before taking any orders (with commision, of course :wink:)