PDA

View Full Version : Any Apple "geeks" here???

grandmasterb
9th July 2014, 06:57 PM
I've been given a Mac laptop to use but the condition is that I remove its entire contents (including all music in iTunes) to a hard drive to give to the owner so he can use it all on his new machine.

I've tried a few options so far but having a lot of dramas trying to move his music (especially purchased files) so your able to read/use them when plugging external hard drive into another machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions or software I should be using?

Cheers

Ben

AndyP
9th July 2014, 07:54 PM
Courty might have an answer. I think there are a few on here that have issues with iTunes library transfers though.

coalesce
9th July 2014, 07:59 PM
Purchased files can be redownloaded as long as you authorise the new computer. No need to transfer them. You can authorise 5 computers per iTunes account I think so you probably want to deauthorise the one you've been given

jimandr
9th July 2014, 10:54 PM
I think Coalesce is on the right track.

Itunes purchased music is in the Cloud (whatever that means), so you can log in on a new machine, authorise the new computer and the music will be there.

The owner can then do the second part, and deauthorise the old PC. But that doesn't need to be done at all.

However, I'm assuming you have his Itunes password. If so, you've got all his music for free, and if not, copy it all to an external drive and you've still got it for free. Sounds like a very good deal.

markTHEblake
10th July 2014, 12:25 AM
copy the entire Home folder to the hard drive.
Jobs done :-)

Courty
10th July 2014, 04:55 PM
Use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to clone the contents of the internal drive to the external drive. It will be an exact copy and can then even be used to boot up another Mac.

grandmasterb
10th July 2014, 05:27 PM
Cheers guys I'll see what I can sort out.

3Puttpete
7th May 2015, 07:50 PM
The other half wants Microsoft for Mac.

What's the best option?

timah!
7th May 2015, 08:16 PM
The other half wants Microsoft for Mac.

What's the best option?

Do what they say...Or go play golf..

3Puttpete
7th May 2015, 08:24 PM
Do what they say...Or go play golf..

Genius

markTHEblake
7th May 2015, 08:57 PM
The other half wants Microsoft for Mac. What's the best option? Microsoft what for Mac?

3Puttpete
7th May 2015, 09:06 PM
Word, excel, powerpoint....office

backintheswing
7th May 2015, 09:11 PM
Office 365 works on both PC and Mac with 5 licenses. That's what I bought a couple of years ago.

3Puttpete
7th May 2015, 09:21 PM
Cheers

Hard_Pan
7th May 2015, 09:28 PM
FWIW I run Macs at my home and the comment above re Super Duper to clone or create an image of the macbook drive is spot on.. free download, works a treat. You will probably find several 'how to's on Youtube as well to show you step by step how to use it and what materials you might need.

Once the job's done and all the stuff has been cloned, I strongly recommend you reformat the hard drive and start from scratch.

Correct about the Office 365 but be wary of how old your macbook is, how much ram it has and how big the hard drive is..

My imac and macbook are both around 7 years old and they run a 2011 version of office fine but I'm not sure how'd they go with the latest version so I'd recommend asking the vendor before you buy.

markTHEblake
7th May 2015, 10:31 PM
Word, excel, powerpoint....office If she doesn't know how to get MS office herself then she doesn't need it. Download and install NeoOffice for her, change the names of the shortcuts To word etc and she won't know the difference. Or make her use Pages and Numbers etc. I think they are better applications than office anyway.