PDA

View Full Version : 5 Wood Shaft in Driver

Godscountry
8th July 2014, 09:44 AM
Hi All

As the title suggests....
Ive read a lot about guys cutting down their driver shafts and using 3 wood shafts etc and have had an inch cut off various drivers over the years.
Ive never heard of somebody putting a 5 wood shaft in their driver, has anybody done it? What are your experiences?
I currently have a stage 1 RBZ driver and R11s 5 wood so they should pop in and out?
Cheers

3Puttpete
8th July 2014, 10:38 AM
Do it. What's the worst that can happen?

mrbluu
8th July 2014, 10:43 AM
Hi All

As the title suggests....
Ive read a lot about guys cutting down their driver shafts and using 3 wood shafts etc and have had an inch cut off various drivers over the years.
Ive never heard of somebody putting a 5 wood shaft in their driver, has anybody done it? What are your experiences?
I currently have a stage 1 RBZ driver and R11s 5 wood so they should pop in and out?
Cheers

I don't think the share tips, I could be wrong.

Godscountry
8th July 2014, 10:48 AM
I will check out the tip situation tonight, that might bring an end to the whole thought bubble

Ferrins
8th July 2014, 11:05 AM
A week or so ago there would of been a few comments making fun of some of our verticlly challenged members.

Ferrins
8th July 2014, 11:07 AM
Probably best to leave the jests to professions in front of a mike.

Wenz
8th July 2014, 11:10 AM
Totally fine, R11s and RBZ1 are same tips.

Godscountry
8th July 2014, 11:16 AM
A week or so ago there would of been a few comments making fun of some of our verticlly challenged members.
Im 6 foot 1

Ferrins
8th July 2014, 11:19 AM
I'm 6ft 4 in stilettos.

3oneday
8th July 2014, 11:20 AM
Height doesn't always determine whether you have to play over length clubs, generally most tall people also have longer arms.

Ferrins
8th July 2014, 11:21 AM
On a serious note the 5 wood shaft in the driver will be a fail.

3oneday
8th July 2014, 11:23 AM
Wouldn't this make the shaft play incredibly soft, rather than the opposite? I'd be interested to hear your results, doubt you'd hurt yourself, I just can't see me playing a 42 inch driver.

Dotty
8th July 2014, 11:50 AM
Wouldn't this make the shaft play incredibly soft, rather than the opposite? I'd be interested to hear your results, doubt you'd hurt yourself, I just can't see me playing a 42 inch driver.
I thought it would be the opposite, as an inch is often trimmed off a driver shaft to go in a FW.

And a 5w head is generally heavier than a driver head, and would not need a softer shaft.

Happy experimenting.

goonie
8th July 2014, 05:48 PM
It will play much stiffer, driver head weight is less than a 5 wood, and 5 wood shaft is stiffer than a driver shaft.

virge666
8th July 2014, 07:12 PM
Goonie had it right

You have just tipped a driver shaft two inches.

And left it way short.

Godscountry
9th July 2014, 09:41 AM
Heading to the range tomorrow arvo, will give it a try and see what happens. Ive also had a tip put on another old shaft I had that I quite liked so that should give me plenty of options.
Thanks for the input

TheNuclearOne
9th July 2014, 05:01 PM
Swingweight should be somewhere in the B's LOL

Godscountry
10th July 2014, 10:06 AM
I have no idea what that means but I will laugh along with ya....

benno_r
10th July 2014, 10:18 AM
It means it will feel like a toy, about as heavy in your hands as a junior club.

mrbluu
10th July 2014, 10:26 AM
I have no idea what that means but I will laugh along with ya....

It means it will swing really light. Mens clubs would weight between say D and E. Stock drivers are around D4-5. There is no problem playing a club really light as long as you like it. My driver is only C8 which really low, but I like.

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/swing-weight-golf-clubs-1737.html

liptout
10th July 2014, 11:54 AM
It means it will swing really light. Mens clubs would weight between say D and E. Stock drivers are around D4-5. There is no problem playing a club really light as long as you like it. My driver is only C8 which really low, but I like.

which right there puts this whole BS swing weight rubbish into persepctive!!

in my opinion of course...... ;)

liptout
10th July 2014, 11:58 AM
calling it 'rubbish' might have been a bit harsh...

should have called in nonsense instead, that doesnt make it sound so aggressive.

:D

3oneday
10th July 2014, 12:26 PM
true, it's what feels right in your hands ;)

Godscountry
10th July 2014, 12:45 PM

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/swing-weight-golf-clubs-1737.html

Thanks for that...found it quite interesting.
This is the first time ive considered tinkering with my clubs, my reason for thinking about the shorter shaft is to help a bit with dispersion. I figured the heavier shaft in the 5W may counteract the shortness of it...anyway its all hypothetical until I give it a go...the wind may get the better of me this arvo though. If I owned a 3W I would have tried that.
Just interested to see if anybody else has done something like this and what their results were.
I guess my thinking is along the lines of ólder drivers were shorter and it was easier to hit fairways albeit a bit further back'

mrbluu
10th July 2014, 12:50 PM
You be better off cutting an inch or 2 off the driver. If it too light add some lead tape to the head.

liptout
10th July 2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for that...found it quite interesting.
This is the first time ive considered tinkering with my clubs, my reason for thinking about the shorter shaft is to help a bit with dispersion. I figured the heavier shaft in the 5W may counteract the shortness of it...anyway its all hypothetical until I give it a go...the wind may get the better of me this arvo though. If I owned a 3W I would have tried that.
Just interested to see if anybody else has done something like this and what their results were.
I guess my thinking is along the lines of ólder drivers were shorter and it was easier to hit fairways albeit a bit further back'

just do it mate, chances are it'll work fine and you'll love it.

if you seen what gear ive got in my bag you'd scratch your head and wonder whats going on in the world!!

i carry 2 drivers. 1 jetspeen with a 45' shaft, and an R9 set at 12.5* or something with a chopped down shaft to around 3w length. ive really gota put a bad swing on it for that club to do anything but go dead straight!!

also carry a 2iron with a wedge shaft in it, just for those special moments when you need to skunk something along the ground and get it to run forever.

and then you've got my irons!! ;)

in other words, just do it mate. who cares what people think or say..... thats the fun of it all!! :D

pauly
10th July 2014, 01:10 PM
x-mike GROOVELESS irons?

wtf! how does that work, very keen to find out lol

Coldtopper
10th July 2014, 02:40 PM
just do it mate, chances are it'll work fine ;)

in other words, just do it mate. who cares what people think or say..... thats the fun of it all!! :D
Thats so true Lipout. Hope to see some great results soon.

TheNuclearOne
10th July 2014, 04:31 PM
which right there puts this whole BS swing weight rubbish into persepctive!!

in my opinion of course...... ;)

You would compare C8 to the B's?

TheNuclearOne
10th July 2014, 04:35 PM
just do it mate, chances are it'll work fine and you'll love it.

No chance.

Even if he (seemingly) loves it at the range, or first time out, tune in for the next half dozen outings.

The thing to do if one is super keen to go this way is to build something at 44" or mayyybe 43.5" first up and be prudent in shaft and swingweight choice and also be prepared to experiment a bit.

Some of my best long term driving ever was a 9015D at 44.5" and C8, but there some big intangibles and a lot of luck involved and it's still light years from the plan here.

liptout
10th July 2014, 05:44 PM
You would compare C8 to the B's?

No mate, I'm not comparing anything to anything.

All I'm saying is that it bewilders me the amount of emphasise people put on something as silly as swing weight.

All you hear about is people trying to put a gram of weight here or there to take their swing weight from D6 to D4 or whatever cause it feels so much better at That swing weight.....
Please!!

But then same person cuts an inch or so off a driver shaft which brings it in at C7 and can't believe that it works for them but are gona keep it anyways even though it's not D5??

Disclaimer: this is a fictional example, and in no way resembles anybody in particular. :D

TNO, you know as well as I do I could set up a driver that weighs 3kgs but has a swing weight of D5 but there wouldn't be a person around that could swing it.
Same as you could set up a driver that's as light as a feather swinging at the same weight.......

In my opinion, all that really matters is total weight and how it feels in your hands.
None of us are good enough to know whether a couple of grams here or there are making a difference of not........

3Puttpete
10th July 2014, 05:54 PM
Makes complete sense to me

TheNuclearOne
10th July 2014, 06:40 PM
No mate, I'm not comparing anything to anything.

All I'm saying is that it bewilders me the amount of emphasise people put on something as silly as swing weight.

All you hear about is people trying to put a gram of weight here or there to take their swing weight from D6 to D4 or whatever cause it feels so much better at That swing weight.....
Please!!

But then same person cuts an inch or so off a driver shaft which brings it in at C7 and can't believe that it works for them but are gona keep it anyways even though it's not D5??

Disclaimer: this is a fictional example, and in no way resembles anybody in particular. :D

TNO, you know as well as I do I could set up a driver that weighs 3kgs but has a swing weight of D5 but there wouldn't be a person around that could swing it.
Same as you could set up a driver that's as light as a feather swinging at the same weight.......

In my opinion, all that really matters is total weight and how it feels in your hands.
None of us are good enough to know whether a couple of grams here or there are making a difference of not........

On the topic of the thread (which is not a gram here and there you are talking about, this is MILES from that) he will be swingweighting in the B's if he is lucky. You're not talking a couple of swingweight points, you are talking well over a dozen of them.

I'm not even going to go on about the disparity this will cause vs his other clubs.

3Puttpete
10th July 2014, 07:10 PM
Who cares if it feels good and works for him?

TheNuclearOne
10th July 2014, 08:58 PM
It won't, that's my point. Just trying to save an ozgolfer time and money.

There's proven ways to do a reasonably similar thing that have an excellent chance of working vs none.

Godscountry
10th July 2014, 10:28 PM
Ok, first of all, thanks to everybody for their input. I am a bit blown away by the response actually and I understand that you guys are typing your points of view for the right reasons which is nice.
Went to the range tonight with an open mind. To set the scene it was bloody cold and I had a 40-50k wind blowing straight into my face.
After attempting to warm up I pulled the driver out and had a lash. First shaft I used was an adilla nv 65 blue shaft. I haven't used this shaft in my rbz driver, it used to belong to a nikent evolver. Standard length. Hit it like I've been hitting the driver lately, solid contact but not consistent in shape or landing zone.
I then grabbed the 5 wood shaft and threw it in. It's a 70 gram rip stock shaft that came in the r11s 5 wood. It felt different, hard to describe, neither comfortable or uncomfortable. Head felt lighter but not too bad. I nailed the first few drives, found the flight a bit lower and definitely straighter, obviously distance was back a bit but still acceptable to me. After the first dozen the performance dropped off a little but not too bad given the conditions. I then pulled out the stock rbz shaft, I don't know what it weighs but it's 1/2 inch shorter than standard. Again, I nailed the first few and got into a pretty good groove. It was easily the most comfortable I felt. Whether or not it was because I was properly warmed up or my swing was improving I don't know.
Next time I give it a go I will do it the other way around and see what happens.
Will I do it on the course? Not yet...
Was it a fail for me? Not yet...
Has it given me more to think about ? For sure!

TheNuclearOne
11th July 2014, 05:31 AM
Good stuff. Don't discount going around 44" or 44.5" at some point in the future possibly with a bit of added head weight. Think of it almost as a set up that falls between a driver and a three wood per shaft weight and tipping.

Ferrins
11th July 2014, 09:48 AM
Driver, wedges and putter are the most important clubs in the bag. Go shorter driver, chipper and broom stick putter.:)

Godscountry
14th July 2014, 12:13 PM
Ok, just to put a full stop on this thread.....
Went to the range again in the daylight this time and its fair to say the experiment was a failure for me and the 5 wood shaft has gone back into the 5 wood for good!
I really didnt hit it ant straighter than my full length driver and there was easily 40 metres average distance between the two. Even further when I nutted them.
Happy to cut down the driver shaft another inch and see what happens but I couldnt be bothered adding weight to the club to compensate so I will probably just learn to love the current set up.
The search is now on for a hybrid...never had one before which I can use off the tee on the tighter ones.
Cheers for the input everyone!

FuzzyJuzzy
15th July 2014, 08:02 PM
For what it's worth, my 3W shaft (Stiff stock shaft from an RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3W) works lovely for me in my JetSpeed driver. I've briefly tried a few other shafts in my Jetty - 7M3 Black Tie and 6Q3 Red Tie, both Stiff - and they may work better over time. But for the time being the 3W shaft more than does the trick...

Dotty
15th July 2014, 08:14 PM
For what it's worth, my 3W shaft (Stiff stock shaft from an RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3W) works lovely for me in my JetSpeed driver. I've briefly tried a few other shafts in my Jetty - 7M3 Black Tie and 6Q3 Red Tie, both Stiff - and they may work better over time. But for the time being the 3W shaft more than does the trick...
Sounds like Virge's story from a couple of years back ...

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/27294-Less-spin-with-your-driver-.-.-.

FuzzyJuzzy
15th July 2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks Dotty. Interesting read. That 3W shaft I'm using in the Jetty atm is only 43.5" and I'm 6'2", but that doesn't seem to be a problem. It was meant to be a temporary remedy until I got a proper shaft for the JetSpeed, but I just put the 3W shaft back in it for 9 practice holes this morning and feels good. Distance was still solid, but I enjoyed the feeling of having a bit more control. It almost has me thinking I should get all my driver shafts cut down, maybe to 44" or so...