PDA

View Full Version : Iron Advice

AlexMc
5th July 2014, 10:04 PM
I have 714 AP1's (3-5) and AP2's (6-PW) which I am not in love with - I find the AP1's give me no feedback at all and I'm finding the AP2's pretty hard going - I reckon I've probably lost an iron in length compared to my old irons (712CB's).

What I want is something forged, that I can feel when I've hit it well/poor, can work a little but is relatively easy to hit.

Am thinking something in the line of TM SLDR, Mizuno JPX EZ Forged, but I'm seeking the advice of the all knowing forum for ideas...

PeteyD
5th July 2014, 10:09 PM
I have a set of nike VRS Forged (the first series), might be worth a crack, slightly larger and more forgiving than some other forged heads.

braddles
5th July 2014, 10:10 PM
I would like at something like Mizuno MP54s, TaylorMade CBs, Ping i25, and Callaway Apex. The AP2s should be easier to hit than your previous CBs? I was recently fit at the Titleist fitting centre and Melbourne and the fitter recommended CBs. I was hoping he would choose the AP2s for me, as I would like the extra forgiveness - having said that, I didn't notice much difference between the CBs and AP2s.

SirTop
5th July 2014, 10:21 PM
What's your handicap?

I moved from game improvement irons to Mizuno JPX 825's and I like them, easy enough to hit usually and the EZ's I haven't hit but apparently they're good stuff

gazgolf1
5th July 2014, 10:42 PM
2013 Cally X-forged, love em.

KristianJ
5th July 2014, 10:52 PM
I found the Cobra Amp Forged pretty easy to hit...very similar to AP2s but slightly stronger lofts, which will help your distance issues.

AlexMc
5th July 2014, 11:40 PM
Braddles - saw the Apex irons today. Don't want that much offset to be honest...

Sir Top - dropped to 12.7 today. 70 nett in medal, but only missed one fairway and had 27 putts. My iron play was puss.

talbo
6th July 2014, 12:51 AM
Not forged but maybe have a look at i25s or Apex Pro but then I favoured and bought 714 AP2's.

Daves
6th July 2014, 05:17 AM
Plenty of alternatives to try, but the differences you describe/perceive between the AP2s and CBs say to me the issue is your swing has changed. Feel is one thing, but distance loss the wrong way says you are adding loft and/or not getting them (AP2) out of the middle anymore. Been there, had lessons, problem fixed.

Steve57
6th July 2014, 06:20 AM
I have 714 AP1's (3-5) and AP2's (6-PW) which I am not in love with - I find the AP1's give me no feedback at all and I'm finding the AP2's pretty hard going - I reckon I've probably lost an iron in length compared to my old irons (712CB's).

What I want is something forged, that I can feel when I've hit it well/poor, can work a little but is relatively easy to hit.

Am thinking something in the line of TM SLDR, Mizuno JPX EZ Forged, but I'm seeking the advice of the all knowing forum for ideas...
Sounds to me like there are different shafts in each set?
Do what I have just done and go and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing!
I thought I knew what my specs were until then.

3oneday
6th July 2014, 06:51 AM
Try and find some 735cm to muck about with. Why do you carry a 3 iron anyway? :) the ap1 would have a fair bit if offset i'd have thought too.

As Daves says, maybe something is going on in your swing. Maybe though you are being too hard on yourself. Us amatuers are always looking to hit it better but scoring is what it's about. I had 28 putts yesty too, hit some goodns and some badns, shit happens :)

mrbluu
6th July 2014, 07:07 AM
I had 28 putts yesty too, hit some goodns and some badns, shit happens :)

To they have 9 hole comps at Cumberland now??? ;-)

3oneday
6th July 2014, 08:24 AM
:)

AlexMc
6th July 2014, 08:40 AM
Sounds to me like there are different shafts in each set?Do what I have just done and go and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing!I thought I knew what my specs were until then.DG S300 in my last 2 sets of irons.Perhaps it is just frustration at what could have been yesterday. Maybe it does need a lesson. Perhaps I'm looking for the easy solution rather than putting in the work...I think I have seen what switching from a 913D3 to a SLDR has done for my driving and now think there must be an equivalent easy fix for my irons!

mrbluu
6th July 2014, 08:44 AM
DG S300 in my last 2 sets of irons.Perhaps it is just frustration at what could have been yesterday. Maybe it does need a lesson. Perhaps I'm looking for the easy solution rather than putting in the work...I think I have seen what switching from a 913D3 to a SLDR has done for my driving and now think there must be an equivalent easy fix for my irons!Have u tried different shafts???I went from 735cm's with S300's to AP2 with PX 5.5 and I couldn't be happier. The flight seems high but more stable if that makes sense?I'm keen to try KBS Tours in my next set.

TheNuclearOne
6th July 2014, 08:55 AM
What's your handicap?

I moved from game improvement irons to Mizuno JPX 825's and I like them, easy enough to hit usually and the EZ's I haven't hit but apparently they're good stuff

JPX825 are game improvement irons, one major online review even lumped them into the SGI which was wrong IMO.

If you are talking about the 825 pro's, they are considered a tweener iron, in between GI and players. Probably a good set to demo for Alex.

SirTop
6th July 2014, 09:10 AM
JPX825 are game improvement irons, one major online review even lumped them into the SGI which was wrong IMO.

If you are talking about the 825 pro's, they are considered a tweener iron, in between GI and players. Probably a good set to demo for Alex.
Hey mate, yes sorry mine are 825 pro's

They certainly don't feel game improvement agree they are in between this and players for sure

Previous set were G25s which are nice irons but definitely game improvement. Damn easy to hit straight though in hindsight, so it sometimes questions why one wouldn't just use them, especially on a bad day with the 825's

Steve57
6th July 2014, 10:01 AM
DG S300 in my last 2 sets of irons.Perhaps it is just frustration at what could have been yesterday. Maybe it does need a lesson. Perhaps I'm looking for the easy solution rather than putting in the work...I think I have seen what switching from a 913D3 to a SLDR has done for my driving and now think there must be an equivalent easy fix for my irons!
The reason I suggested that is that I am going to PX Flighted 95 5.5 (which are considered regular in this line) from KBS Tour stiff.
I was surprised when the fitter told me what they were but I found them so much better to load and the ball flight is so much better.
Hopefully they arrive this week!

mrbluu
6th July 2014, 10:46 AM
The reason I suggested that is that I am going to PX Flighted 95 5.5 (which are considered regular in this line) from KBS Tour stiff.
I was surprised when the fitter told me what they were but I found them so much better to load and the ball flight is so much better.
Hopefully they arrive this week!

Dibs :D

Steve57
6th July 2014, 10:48 AM
Dibs :D
On the KBS?

mrbluu
6th July 2014, 10:58 AM
On both...

SirTop
6th July 2014, 11:03 AM
On both...
Lol, thought the bag was set :)

mrbluu
6th July 2014, 11:06 AM
Lol, thought the bag was set :) The bag is always set....set on go!!!!

Steve57
6th July 2014, 11:08 AM
On both...The KBS have Cobra Pro CB heads attached and will be going in the Pro Shop as soon as the new ones arrive. Dibs noted!

spanner039
6th July 2014, 03:25 PM
The Bridgestone J40 DPC's are without a doubt the most forgiving and best feeling irons i have ever had.

Check them out if you can find some

Give them a Google