PDA

View Full Version : Best time to play monthly medal?

Ferrins
4th July 2014, 05:44 AM
Firstly I have only played about 20 of them. Initially started at the end of the field so had I could hit some range balls and have a few chips and putts, got a bit tedious out on the course though with a few 5 hour + rounds. Then read about 9am being the optimum time but could never get that spot or near it because of all the regular groups or a two tee start. This Saturday will have another crack at dawn patrol with a 6.36am at Bribie. Played a few early rounds at Tasmania GC WhenI was a member there. The rounds are quicker and it's handy to get a read off the dew on the green but my round tends to suffer from early wayward shots that get me in the long wet grass and I struggle.
What works for you? Do you have a preference? I guess for some of you your decision is family or worked biased.

BrisWesty
4th July 2014, 06:29 AM
As early as possible. While it can get slow after the first 9 (groups go off 1 & 10 at Caboolture), I'd rather finish in 4.5 hours and spend the rest of the day with family than spend 5.5 hours during the hotter part of the day.

PS, that opinion would change if the grass is crunching underfoot due to frost.

WBennett
4th July 2014, 06:46 AM
1115 ish. Start of the afternoon field. Front nine may be slow but you can fly through the back

Hatchman
4th July 2014, 06:46 AM
mid to late morning groups (let the others kick the dew/frost off) or early afternoon slots are the best times for your game.

mike
4th July 2014, 07:19 AM
I like to play ours on the first Saturday of the month.

Ferrins
4th July 2014, 07:24 AM
That's why I have kept missing them over the years:( gets me every time.

markTHEblake
4th July 2014, 07:30 AM
Early morning Dew, late afternoon wind, probably counts for the same

WBennett
4th July 2014, 07:34 AM
Give me an afternoon breeze over teeing off in -4 every day.

Dotty
4th July 2014, 09:05 AM
Usually play at 7am, but treat myself to 8-8.30 start, if I want to play a solid round. The extra 30mins at home and extra 30 mins short game practice helps, esp. in the cooler months.

Preferably start on 10th, for variety, get a good score for the countback and play 1-5 warmed up for a change.

jimandr
4th July 2014, 10:50 AM
I like to play ours on the first Saturday of the month.

You should play the Midweek Medal instead.

Actually, when the first weekend of the month is a long weekend, many courses play their medal the next week.

Personally, I don't understand the attraction of the medal, and of stroke play in general, but if I'm playing one, I'm with WB. If there is a two tee start, first group of the afternoon field is the way to go.

WBennett
4th July 2014, 11:32 AM
You should play the Midweek Medal instead.

Actually, when the first weekend of the month is a long weekend, many courses play their medal the next week.

Personally, I don't understand the attraction of the medal, and of stroke play in general, but if I'm playing one, I'm with WB. If there is a two tee start, first group of the afternoon field is the way to go.

I didn't used to like Medal, but now its my favourite round of the month. I'm now at a mark where I have to play well for 18 holes to get near my handicap. One bad hole early makes it nigh on impossible to win.

Medal also means free food and a members draw post round, so I get home late. And semi-intoxicated :lol:

davepuppies
4th July 2014, 12:05 PM
Mid morning for me regardless of type of event.

Too early too cold in winter, would rather be a bit more loose and contend with afternoon slow field and wind than penguins ice skating next to me on the first green.

virge666
4th July 2014, 12:38 PM
As early as possible. While it can get slow after the first 9 (groups go off 1 & 10 at Caboolture), I'd rather finish in 4.5 hours and spend the rest of the day with family than spend 5.5 hours during the hotter part of the day.

PS, that opinion would change if the grass is crunching underfoot due to frost.

^^^^^^^^^

This !

Plus the greens will be mint !

BenM
4th July 2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah I prefer morning ish (8:30 or so) but in winter that's too early especially in the frost.

Have been playing late morning/early arvo and the greens are rooted by the time we finish from all the traffic.

3oneday
4th July 2014, 12:57 PM
After about 3 schooners.

KristianJ
4th July 2014, 12:59 PM
I'd prefer early as well, although this time of year it's more of a case of when free spots come up on the time sheet because of the last tee time being just after midday.

That said, with Richmond not being an overly long course, it's not a tremendously arduous slog.

And there's the minimum temp factor. Friday comp would have been fun this morning with -3! :lol:

billp
4th July 2014, 01:03 PM
I'm off at 6.33 in the morning for mine. I take the dogs for a run before hand which warms me up.

AndyP
4th July 2014, 01:10 PM
Family based time for me, but if I had a choice it would be as early as possible, although losing shots to the dew is annoying. I usually aim for about 7am, but play almost last in the afternoons a lot because of other commitments.

WBennett
4th July 2014, 01:18 PM
After about 3 schooners.

This. And accompanied by a few cans on the way around.

Monsta
4th July 2014, 01:53 PM
1115 ish. Start of the afternoon field. Front nine may be slow but you can fly through the back

We are normally 1st group off in the afternoon, we can finish in 4 hours or under...... and Spud cant keep up with us

WBennett
4th July 2014, 01:57 PM
We are normally 1st group off in the afternoon, we can finish in 4 hours or under...... and Spud cant keep up with us

I blame my playing partners. We finish a hole or so behind you, but two in front of the group behind!

Waggle
4th July 2014, 02:07 PM
Early and January. I've won the last 3 January medals. Love the extra run!

Waggle
4th July 2014, 02:08 PM
and smaller fields ;)

Matt1979
4th July 2014, 04:18 PM
Usually aim for the first group - get away early & then have the rest of the day with family. Although this time of year it gets a bit tough with typical Melbourne weather & not always that light when we hit off. Can't wait until summer though!!

Matt1979
4th July 2014, 04:19 PM
Usually aim for the first group - get away early & then have the rest of the day with family. Although this time of year it gets a bit tough with typical Melbourne weather & not always that light when we hit off. Can't wait until summer though!!

Buzz
4th July 2014, 04:30 PM

A big +1 to that!

3Puttpete
4th July 2014, 07:24 PM

A big +1 to that!

I know what you mean. Apparent temp 10* when I teed off just before 8 this morning.

dannycallaz
4th July 2014, 07:47 PM
I blame my playing partners. We finish a hole or so behind you, but two in front of the group behind!

Spud and monsta you big pusses!

You need to have a round with the real men @ 716am winter group!

WBennett
4th July 2014, 07:58 PM
Spud and monsta you big pusses! You need to have a round with the real men @ 716am winter group! Done that. Teed off in minus seven a couple of years back. And the bar doesnt open til ten

shazza_rs
4th July 2014, 08:34 PM
Not a lot of options for me. Tee times run 9-11:15. The little one has swimming sat morning so anytime after 10:30 is what I've got. Mid pack so not too bad.

No complaints coming from me though. At least we have that many tee times on a Saturday.

LarryLong
4th July 2014, 11:30 PM
I'm always in the first few groups between 7 and 8. Often in the first group. I'm not sure if it helps my golf one way or the other, but it keeps the family happy.

Ferrins
5th July 2014, 05:57 AM
About to get onto the pushy and ride to the club. It's dark cold and drizzly:)

KristianJ
5th July 2014, 09:19 AM
3 groups wait on the 2nd.

Chopperpalooza.

markTHEblake
5th July 2014, 09:51 AM
Why is there such a difference between playing monthly medal and every other Saturday?

Ferrins
5th July 2014, 10:03 AM
Cruised through the front 9 at 1 over then had a triple and double on 10 & 11.:(

KristianJ
5th July 2014, 11:25 AM
That said, with Richmond not being an overly long course, it's not a tremendously arduous slog. I retract this statement. Looking good for a 2 hr 45 front 9.

Ferrins
5th July 2014, 11:33 AM
Started at 6.36am and finished at 11.55. 4hrs and 19mins:)

Courty
5th July 2014, 01:33 PM
7:19am this morning. Didn't work for me... better try a different timeslot next month. :roll:

Coldtopper
5th July 2014, 03:03 PM
Why is there such a difference between playing monthly medal and every other Saturday? Interesting post MTB I dont understand why there is any difference between games. Can you pick up if you are 3 over handicap in medal? Or hasn't this changed. Stroke would be tough for some I suppose.

jimandr
6th July 2014, 11:22 AM
Why is there such a difference between playing monthly medal and every other Saturday?

Probably the major factor is the lost ball factor.

In other formats if you don't find the ball you shrug your shoulders and move on. In Stroke you have to do the Walk Of Shame.

This has two impacts. Firstly, people spend much more time looking for a ball than normally. Secondly, people who have been stung by losing a ball hit a provisional every time the ball can't be seen. Which takes lots of time.

Of course the worst nightmare of all is losing the second one as well.

Everybody knows someone who uses golf balls that are collectors items. They might be worth millions in 20 years time, so they can't ever afford to lose one, and will keep looking until sundown if they can.

CT, I don't think the three shots over rules applies to the game, it only applies to the golflink adjustment to the score. Blakey would know that for sure.

Waggle
9th July 2014, 10:14 AM
Nothing worse than players who should know better hitting their ball into the shit and instead of taking the few mins required to hit a provisional think they have X-Ray Radar vision and go hunting for their ball only to not find it, have to walk all the way back to the tee to hit another one wasting many many more mins than if they had hit a provisional.

3oneday
9th July 2014, 10:30 AM
11.30 hitoff Satdy just gone, beautiful morning, hardly a breeze.

Arrived at 11.25 after getting stuck in traffic, opened the door and it blew a f'n gale again!

Apart from that, I really think from an amateurs point of view it's not about the time of day rather their state of mind.

Steve
9th July 2014, 10:30 AM
i always try to be on the course no latter than 0830h

LeftyHoges
9th July 2014, 10:56 AM
Doesn't make a ****ing difference, I haven't won one in over 12 years.

990B Luva
9th July 2014, 11:07 AM
11:12 is the perfect tee time. Worked for me last weekend.

oncewasagolfer
9th July 2014, 11:40 AM
Teed off at 11:30 last Saturday and I won so that must be the right time;)

oncewasagolfer
9th July 2014, 11:42 AM
Doesn't make a ****ing difference, I haven't won one in over 12 years.

That's was my first mm win in over 15 years.

Daves
9th July 2014, 07:00 PM

11.30am at our place means close to a 5 hour round. Yet if we play an early (7.30/8.30am) round in the monthly Black Marker, that is usually on the day before, same pins, longer tees, we get around in an easy 4 hours usually without a problem. Shotgun Saturdays during winter also struggle to break 5 hours.

FuzzyJuzzy
10th July 2014, 06:00 AM
The lads and I are looking to tee off round 0800-0830 from now on, just during winter. We're usually one of the first groups off - just after 0700 - but it's just too damn cold nowadays.

KristianJ
30th September 2014, 10:43 PM
11:12 is the perfect tee time. Worked for me last weekend.

10:54am for me last Sat. Another thumbs up for late morning. ;)

It was a tick over 5 hours though..by the time we got through the usual logjam at the turn it was a few mins to 2.

Next one is club champs round 1, and down to tee off around the same time.

billp
1st October 2014, 07:08 AM
I now have swimming lessons at 7.30 in the morning with the young fella, and the wife seems to have a measure up for about 10am every Saturday right now, so I might as well sell my membership, as it doesn't seem I will ever play a Saturday again!

mrbluu
1st October 2014, 08:44 AM
In winter around 10.30-11am, in the warmer months between 7.30-8am.

Shortylook
1st October 2014, 11:28 AM
well we have one option again now.12.30 pm stupid old cockheads at our club. Harvey membership is looking good for next year

Shane788
4th October 2014, 05:55 AM
About to tee up right now for my medal, love it!

Shortylook
4th October 2014, 06:12 AM
About to tee up right now for my medal, love it!bloody early tee of mate

AndyP
4th October 2014, 11:57 AM
6:16a for me this morning. Finishing at 10am is great. I might do this during the summer, and get to my son's cricket in time to see half of it.

LeftyHoges
4th October 2014, 12:23 PM
6:16a for me this morning. Finishing at 10am is great. I might do this during the summer, and get to my son's cricket in time to see half of it.

So you'll only ever get to see the arse-end of it?

blurry
4th October 2014, 12:28 PM
after todays effort ,,,,,fu#$%^g never