PDA

View Full Version : Knock down vs wedge

Ferrins
4th July 2014, 05:16 AM
Recently have started using knock down shots with 8-pw rather than using my wedge. Have hit a few stiff and was quite excited about the accuracy and feel of this option. However it has seemed to be at the detrement of my wedge play as I am now pushing them way right. Is there a way to get a balance between the two?

Hamo84
4th July 2014, 01:31 PM
Could ball position be an issue? I was watching a demo on YouTube saying the further back the ball is the more likely the ball will start to the right.

Personally i use knock down shots a lot as I too love the accuracy plus keeps the ball out of the wind.

Buzz
4th July 2014, 01:41 PM
Stupid question of the day ... Define knock down shot please?

Ferrins
4th July 2014, 01:53 PM
Full shot with a 9 iron is around 125m for me but by choking down the grip and do a half swing I can hit it 70-90 metres.

markTHEblake
4th July 2014, 02:56 PM
Then hit knock downs with the wedges too.

next.

Hatchman
4th July 2014, 03:45 PM
Stupid question of the day ... Define knock down shot please?

To knock the flight of the ball down. Great weapon to have playing into the wind. Ball doesn't balloon or get carried miles left or right due to wind affect.

I play the shot heaps from 80-140m. I never hit full wedges or 8&9 irons straight into the wind. I club for distance than add 2 and hit with a half toe up to toe up training drill swing. Such a reliable relatively easy shot to execute.

WBennett
4th July 2014, 03:59 PM
Not often, but if I do its a knock down 8 iron from 120ish to keep under the breeze. If I'm not careful it becomes a nasty snap hook, so its not something I play much these days.

jimandr
4th July 2014, 05:20 PM
I'm not a good enough ball striker to deliberately play knock-down shots. I call them mishits that bounce short and roll onto the green. Or I call them bad shots that land 20 metres short of where I want them to when they don't make the green. I can't get perfectly struck shots to stop on our greens, so I wouldn't even attempt to do so with a three quarter shot.

On the other hand I do attempt the three quarter when playing into a strong breeze, so I guess that is the same thing.

Hamo might be right about full shots going to the right. Unless you are too proud to call them shanks.

oldracer
4th July 2014, 08:58 PM
Isn't a knock down a delofted iron shot, my coach was showing me this a few weeks ago as our range is windy as and he used his 6 iron for about 5 different shots and ranged from 120 mtrs to 150 into the wind????

Ferrins
5th July 2014, 12:52 AM
Well I know billybaub has a knockdown 5 iron.

Daves
5th July 2014, 06:40 AM
Lager had a knockdown putter for a while there yesterday.

benno_r
5th July 2014, 07:10 AM
Is a knockdown shot supposed to generate spin as well? I would assume hitting a shot like Hatchy's "toe up to toe up" would mean these run out a bit more?

Daves
5th July 2014, 07:13 AM
Is a knockdown shot supposed to generate spin as well? I would assume hitting a shot like Hatchy's "toe up to toe up" would mean these run out a bit more?

You hit down and you can still get spin I find. Flatter swing and they will runout, particular if you can get a little bit of draw on the shot.

benno_r
5th July 2014, 07:15 AM
You hit down and you can still get spin I find. Flatter swing and they will runout, particular if you can get a little bit of draw on the shot.

I suppose it's all relative - I am not a high spin player, so I like to hit it high to minimise roll out. I do play a lot of long range running shots at Maryborough, as a lot of greens allow you to land 20-30m short.

Is there any recommended youtube video's? Might have a crack this afternoon see what all the fuss is about.

Daves
5th July 2014, 07:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RS4tpUgqSE&r=1

PeteyD
5th July 2014, 07:21 AM
I think they are talking about the 9-3 stuff. If you google 9 3 drill you should find plenty (I think Swingfixer from some of the US forums had a few videos etc). It is what I do for a knock down, not sure if that is a recommendation though ;)

benno_r
5th July 2014, 07:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RS4tpUgqSE&r=1

Already do the 9-3 drill (as the L to L drill). Just need to add in a bit of gripping down on the club, and ball position reworking, and I should be right to go!

Cheers!

Daves
5th July 2014, 07:45 AM
Already do the 9-3 drill (as the L to L drill). Just need to add in a bit of gripping down on the club, and ball position reworking, and I should be right to go!

Cheers!

Yep, the grip down is important, helps you get over the ball, hands low and close, and gets the toe up.