PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Reviews.....

Iain
12th July 2004, 04:10 PM
Last Friday I picked up a set of basically new TP Satin CB set (The ones that TM only released 600 sets of that are Miura forged!!!!) from ebay, that I purchased (Thanks to prmeier), because a mate from work was looking for new set, he liked the Combo's so I sold him them and grabbed these. The 5 iron is 38" Which is about right for me.

I couldn't get out on the weekend to have a hit, so as I had a day off today, this morning I went down to HOG to just get the lie angles checked and adjusted, then straight off to the course. Well my first drive (440m Par5) is an ugly pull hook that may of made it 150m but I doubt it, so I went over pulled the 4 iron and pured it, nice little high draw that got me in the middle of fairway and a chance of GIR.

These things are soft, I thought that the Combo set were good, but these are another level. Feel would be similar on centered hits, but on slight mishits, they feel really soft. Superb....

I'd heard that the CB's weren't very forgiving but have never really had a problem, the long irons are similar in forgiveness to the combo set, but the short irons are better (Due to being a CB) but just as accurate (Well as accurate as I can be), in fact I put a couple of 8 & 9 iron shots within about 10feet....

Also on the weekend I picked up, a 54 and 58* Tour Rac Fe203 wedges!!!!! I couldn't get much of a feel on how they spun/stuck as I hadn't got them dialed into distances and was hitting short/long a few times, but the times I hit them right they stuck well. So time will tell what they are like once used to distances.

But overall I am VERY Happy with both of these purchases and can't see either of these going anywhere, unless someone wants to swap the 58 for a 60??

I'll try and get some pics up, but will add another report tomorrow.... 8)

Iain

Fishman Dan
12th July 2004, 04:16 PM
I didn't understand much of that. :?
Anybody? :smt119

Iain
12th July 2004, 04:27 PM
I didn't understand much of that. :?
Anybody? :smt119

Whats your problem??? :roll:

McMw
12th July 2004, 04:29 PM
Also on the weekend I picked up, a 54 and 58* Tour Rac Fe203 wedges!!!!! I couldn't get much of a feel on how they spun/stuck as I hadn't got them dialed into distances and was hitting short/long a few times, but the times I hit them right they stuck well. So time will tell what they are like once used to distances.

I've also got the same combo (switched from 53/58 nikes)...

I'm still struggling with the distance I can get with the 54 (on full shots), and probably never will be able to get it dialled in...
I've had to resort to hitting 3/4 shots with the Ewedge... :roll:
still looking for the Fwedge (3balls has one atm - but idiots have put the price up way too much!)

so - make sure u know what the loft is on the Pw of the CB, and see that you have the gap evenly spaced, or you might need to get another wedge for in btw... :(

apart from that, the combo is AWESOME with the short stuff...
just don't go trying to hit a full shot with the 58!!! :lol:

Iain
12th July 2004, 04:47 PM
I've also got the same combo (switched from 53/58 nikes)...

I'm still struggling with the distance I can get with the 54 (on full shots), and probably never will be able to get it dialled in...
I've had to resort to hitting 3/4 shots with the Ewedge... :roll:
still looking for the Fwedge (3balls has one atm - but idiots have put the price up way too much!)

so - make sure u know what the loft is on the Pw of the CB, and see that you have the gap evenly spaced, or you might need to get another wedge for in btw... :(
The loft is a 48 on my PW, but I think because of the tour grooves on the tours, they won't fly as far, so the 6* gap is probably about right, and I'm not at all interested in carrying a 4th wedge, I've is plenty of options with just 3, a 4th would just be a waste of bag space.

apart from that, the combo is AWESOME with the short stuff...
You're right chipping and short lobs were easy, once I got used to the green speed again, it was good.... :lol:

I hit a couple full shots with the 58*, with no problem??

gazgolf1
12th July 2004, 04:52 PM
Iain,
Where did you get the Rac wedges? :D

Iain
12th July 2004, 04:57 PM
Iain,
Where did you get the Rac wedges? :D

Where else but Ebay!!!

PM Sent.

Fishman Dan
12th July 2004, 05:48 PM
Sorry mate, but i see things such as 'Miura forged' and i realise i've uncovered a new level of golf-speak that i shouldn't know existed.

I seriously have NFI - 'please explain'?

goughy
12th July 2004, 05:54 PM
Some sweet pick-ups iain. :D

Some pics would be nice, or maybe I'll just have to wait till you come up for your next range session.

I've got retail rac fe2o3's and they are fantastic feeling. I just can't imagine how good the tours must be.

Interestingly, I use a 47*pw, 52* then 60*. I use the 52* for 3/4 shots of about 90mtrs in, then drop to the 60* at about 50mtrs ish. I've found that works well for me. I used to have 47*, 50*, 55* and 60*. I found I almost never used the 55*, so I dropped the 50* and had the 55* bent to 53*.

Jarro
12th July 2004, 06:01 PM
nice work Iain ... looks like you've got a pretty awesome bag happening there 8)

looks like all you need to round out the ensemble is a nice R7 TP driver :wink:

Iain
12th July 2004, 06:40 PM
Sorry mate, but i see things such as 'Miura forged' and i realise i've uncovered a new level of golf-speak that i shouldn't know existed.

Ok Fishy, I can't really explain what forging is, but Miura is a company in Japan that does the so called forging, it is rated by most as the best feeling (Softest) forging, most of the pro's on the PGA Tour use irons that are forged by Miura. forging is the way the iron is made?? Cast are what most people use, is a harder feel, forged is ?? No idea really, but my combo set was forged, but only in China or Mexico, which while softer than cast not as good a quality as Miura forged, where my new irons.

I hope that helps?? :?:

I know you're really a, want to be HO, you can admit it here!!! :P You are after all in the Equipment Forum.

Iain

Iain
12th July 2004, 06:50 PM
Some sweet pick-ups iain. :D

Some pics would be nice, or maybe I'll just have to wait till you come up for your next range session.

I've got retail rac fe2o3's and they are fantastic feeling. I just can't imagine how good the tours must be.

Interestingly, I use a 47*pw, 52* then 60*. I use the 52* for 3/4 shots of about 90mtrs in, then drop to the 60* at about 50mtrs ish. I've found that works well for me. I used to have 47*, 50*, 55* and 60*. I found I almost never used the 55*, so I dropped the 50* and had the 55* bent to 53*.]

Thanks Goughy, I will get some pics up tonight....

I'm not sure if they feel alot better off the clubface than the retails, but the balance is just beautiful, I picked up a retail in HOG and could definetly feel the heavier weight, which is just perfect. :lol:

I just don't really see the point of carrying 4 wedges?? When 3 are enough, I would never want to drop one though.

Iain
12th July 2004, 06:59 PM
nice work Iain ... looks like you've got a pretty awesome bag happening there 8)

looks like all you need to round out the ensemble is a nice R7 TP driver :wink:

Mmmmm, r7 TP. It would be nice, but I was striping the 510TP today and can't really afford an R7 atm, although they are coming down alot on BSG!

But a new 3 wood I think will be added to the line up soon, as I'm not particularly happy with the v-steel, so I'm on the lookout for one. If Gaz is reading this and wants to sell his NP99, I'm listening!!!

Also I am going to do a test between the ProV, HX Tour and ProV1X. Have you tried the HX Tour, as I hit a ProV and HX on a hole today and the HX was about 12m in front of the ProV??

BrisVegas
12th July 2004, 07:02 PM

I'm with you Fishy.... :? :? He lost me at "hello" :shock:

Iain
12th July 2004, 08:01 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~iainandkelly/mypic28.JPG

Iain
12th July 2004, 08:02 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~iainandkelly/mypic31.JPG

Iain
12th July 2004, 08:03 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~iainandkelly/mypic30.JPG

Iain
12th July 2004, 08:04 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~iainandkelly/mypic29.JPG

terryand
12th July 2004, 08:10 PM
Hey Iain, what is going into the 14th spot in your bag? :smt017

BTW cool looking set up ATM :smt023

Terry.

Iain
12th July 2004, 08:34 PM
Hey Iain, what is going into the 14th spot in your bag? :smt017

BTW cool looking set up ATM :smt023

Terry.
Thanks Tez, :wink:

I know about no. 14, but I'm not sure what to get, I'm thinking about getting a matching 2 iron and a Rescue Mid and alternating depending on the course or how I'm hitting them that week?? But atm I seem not too really need another option off the tee, as Driver, 3 wood and 3 iron are plenty at Logan, and I hit all my irons, even the long irons quite well.

So it will probably stay at 13 for a while.... :roll:

Iain

Jarro
12th July 2004, 08:41 PM
love those irons mate .. 8)

don't go scuffing them up by hitting off the cart paths or anything :wink:

drunken
12th July 2004, 09:23 PM
:smt010

Damn Right Handers

jaster
12th July 2004, 09:54 PM
Get a rescue club, with the options that you righties have and how easy they are to hit you are mad not to have one in the bag :roll:

McMw
12th July 2004, 10:01 PM
with an awesome setup like that - that is one huge disgrace of an brolly!!! :roll:
do urself a favour and get a TM double canopy tomorrow ASAP!!! :lol:

btw, thanks for the trip down memory lane - I forgot what the rac looked like near new!!! :D

AndyP
12th July 2004, 11:03 PM
Mmmmmmm, shiny.
Good to see a man happy with his clubs. 8)
So Iain, is this the end of your ho-ing ways? :roll:

Why?

Jarro
13th July 2004, 06:30 AM
Get a rescue club, with the options that you righties have and how easy they are to hit you are mad not to have one in the bag :roll:

i agree here, you really should try and get one Iain ... they are just such an awesome club 8)

Iain
13th July 2004, 08:05 AM
Damn Right Handers
:smt098 :smt110 :smt110 :smt110

with an awesome setup like that - that is one huge disgrace of an brolly!!!
do urself a favour and get a TM double canopy tomorrow ASAP!!!
Thanks McMw, I'll get onto that..... :roll:

Get a rescue club, with the options that you righties have and how easy they are to hit you are mad not to have one in the bag

i agree here, you really should try and get one Iain ... they are just such an awesome club
I was actually thinking about getting a 14* to replace the 3 wood (If I can't find something at a resonable price that I want) and then maybe a no3 or 4, but I'm not sure which one to go with??

Mmmmmmm, shiny.
Good to see a man happy with his clubs.
So Iain, is this the end of your ho-ing ways?
For irons Andy, yes, yes it is.... :P

AndyP
13th July 2004, 08:32 AM
Damn Right I was actually thinking about getting a 14* to replace the 3 wood (If I can't find something at a resonable price that I want) and then maybe a no3 or 4, but I'm not sure which one to go with??

Well that would depend on what you would want it to replace and the maker of the rescue club.

Iain
13th July 2004, 08:40 AM
Well that would depend on what you would want it to replace and the maker of the rescue club.
Because I only have 13 clubs in the bag atm, it won't replace anything, it will be an additional club. :roll:

jaster
13th July 2004, 05:52 PM
Why would you want to get rid of that 13°?? Get a 19° TP RM :roll:

goughy
13th July 2004, 06:02 PM
Or a hogan 2h 19*

jaster
13th July 2004, 06:08 PM
Somehow I don't think a Hogan would look any good in that bag goughy ;)

Iain
13th July 2004, 07:30 PM
Or a hogan 2h 19*

Somehow I don't think a Hogan would look any good in that bag goughy

Sorry Goughy, I think Jaster is right, a Hogan!!! :?

Why would you want to get rid of that 13°?? Get a 19° TP RM
I was thinking of ditching it because I couldn't hit it consistantly or over 2m high, but today it behaved itself quite well, hitting it a resonable height off the tee, off the deck I'm not sure as I didn't get the chance today or yesterday? Just depends as I want a 3wood that I know I can hit ok everytime.

Which is the 19? The 3? I will definatley look into it. 8)

Iain

jaster
13th July 2004, 07:47 PM
It's the 3 ;)

AndyP
14th July 2004, 02:39 PM
Because I only have 13 clubs in the bag atm, it won't replace anything, it will be an additional club. :roll:

I was actually thinking about getting a 14* to [u]REPLACE[/i] the 3 wood
Your words. :roll: :P

Which is the 19? The 3? I will definatley look into it.
TM RM 3
Or Hogan 2. ;)

Iain
14th July 2004, 03:20 PM

I was actually thinking about getting a 14* to [u]REPLACE[/i] the 3 wood
Your words. :roll: :P

Well Andy, if you read the posts, I say that I would purchase a 14* to replace the 3 Wood and an additional Rescue Club so they're not really my words, it's just you trying to play with my words, so you don't look foolish!!! :wink: :twisted: :wink:

Damn Right I was actually thinking about getting a 14* to replace the 3 wood (If I can't find something at a resonable price that I want) and then maybe a no3 or 4, but I'm not sure which one to go with

Which is the 19? The 3? I will definatley look into it.
TM RM 3
Or Hogan 2. ;)

A Hogan!!! Baaahhh!!! :roll: :roll:

Iain
14th July 2004, 03:51 PM
Well, I played 18 holes again yesterday at Logan shot a 37 44=81, the irons are just sensational, I mishit a couple on the back, but wasn't paying full attention and they weren't the irons fault anyway. :roll: They just feel sensational off the face, so soft. :wink:

Played today in the comp at Nudgee it was a 4 ball stroke, the old man and I had nett 60, with every score on the back 9 being mine!!!! I shot a 81=42+39!!!! The iron shots were pure, giving a good high but strong ball flight, I had quite a few GIR's, I had about 7-8 resonable birdie chances over the 18holes, but only sinking 2 of them. :roll:

The wedges I am starting to get dialed in and am hitting these really nicely, hitting a few close, out of the sand they are good (I spun one back about 3 feet out of a bunker today), I can hit a high shot or a low shot that will check up on the 2nd bounce, and the balance on them is just great.

The v-steel looks like it will stay a little while longer, as I am hitting it great off the tee, and I had a hit off the deck today with good results.

Iain

AndyP
14th July 2004, 03:52 PM
Well Andy, if you read the posts.

You're right. I didn't read the posts. In fact, I don't even know how I got into an equipment thread. Must have pushed on the wrong link. :wink:

However, I don't feel foolish. I was just trying to be helpful, and you had to go put me down. :cry:

jaster
14th July 2004, 04:00 PM
That'll learn you Andy :lol:

Well played Iain, sounds like it was the kick in the butt that you needed 8) :P

Iain
14th July 2004, 04:10 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :smt010 :smt010 :smt010

I think Andy needs a group hug.....

Where's Flowergirl and GG!!!!!!!!!!

:smt056 :smt056 :smt056

Jarro
17th July 2004, 08:42 AM
so Iain,

..how forgiving are these new irons :?:

they are very nice to look at, but do they really give you the forgiveness of a standard CB :?

jaster
17th July 2004, 08:50 AM
If you want forgiveness get PINGs, Iain just has BSG disease...I think him and Todd are long lost half brothers :wink:

Jarro
17th July 2004, 08:57 AM
yeah i think i'm gonna look for new irons. I like the A10's but they aren't the most forgiving iron around :roll:

don't want a set of shovels though :x

jaster
17th July 2004, 09:25 AM
Are you too good for shovels Jarro? :lol: :wink:

Depending on what you are after I would strongly suggest hitting everything you can, every time you get a chance grab a playing partners 6 iron that you haven't hit and give it a try...you just never know!! 8)

goughy
17th July 2004, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't think iain's irons are any more forgiving than mine. They more of a players cb anyway. Not like the os.

lt's would be nice tho.

Jarro
17th July 2004, 11:42 AM
no way am i too good for shovels jaster. But i really believe that you have to feel comfortable with an iron before you'll hit it well..... and i don't feel comfy with shovels in my hand :(

I hit a mates Srixon I201's yesterday, and they felt awesome compared to my A10's :o

.. just made me wonder whether i should be playing more of a game improvement iron .... that's all :?

I'll try out some of the demo irons at Nudgee next week 8)

McMw
17th July 2004, 11:46 AM
I think I should get game improvement irons too...just not sure which ones!!! :(

the MP27s looks nice, and I'm still salivating over the Mp30/33 combos...
but don't think I'll be able to hack them around!!!

Jarro
17th July 2004, 11:55 AM
it's a tough decision isn't it Mau :?

so many irons to choose from, and virtually no way to try them all out ....

I actually like the look of the MP-30's but i'm a bit unsure as to how forgiving they are.. maybe the Pings might be worth a try after all :smt017

saw a nice set of demo 704CB's yesterday, they look pretty forgiving... nice looking iron too :smt023

Tried the Hogans .... they were OK, like the look of the precept tour premiums as well .... lovely 8)

Ahhhhh .... decisions, decisions :-k

McMw
17th July 2004, 11:59 AM
yeah....I like the look of the 704s as well...
the finish of the head was very appealing - not "chromey" like most forged irons...

it'll be a while before I'll switch irons I guess... :( still need to lop off 2 more shots off my hcp by the end of the year (if it's possible) if I wan to achieve one of my goals...

maybe new irons are the answer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jarro
17th July 2004, 12:14 PM
yeah....I like the look of the 704s as well...

the only thing about them i didn't like was that they appeared to be very hard .... not a soft feeling iron :? they do look great though 8)

almost like they'd be real "clicky" to hit :evil:

might take 'em for a blast anyway :lol:

hackin jim
17th July 2004, 12:47 PM
the only thing about them i didn't like was that they appeared to be very hard .... not a soft feeling iron

Trust me Jarro, take the demos out for a spin. I would be very surprised if you found them to be hard :shock: . The feel of these irons is the softest I have encountered and that includes sweet hits on my old 690CBs. Heres my 2c

Looks
I prefer the satin finish of the 704s to the shiny chrome of the 690s. They clean up sweet and I feel the satin "wears" the marks from using forged irons better. Nice topline and sleek heads. The 690 cavities look a little sharper though.

Feel
A word, butter. I have never hit irons that feel as consistently sweet as these. If I hit my 690s on the button they were great but based on feel alone with the 704s, it seems I am yet to miss the sweet spot

Forgiveness
Definately where these puppies shine . Along with the great feel, distance loss on off-centre hits is minimal.

Performance
Awesome. Even taking into account the 1* weak lofts of the 690s, these are easy 5-10 longer. The combo with the lightweight TX-Tour shafts is great. The combo also flattened my high ball flight nicely as well.

Overall
For me the 704.CBs are a more forgiving, longer and better looking 690CB. If you are looking for a forged cavity back iron but wary of how you would go with a "players" cavity, then include these in your tests

Jarro
17th July 2004, 12:55 PM
thanks for the review Hackin' jim 8)

i'll be sure to include them in my list of clubs to try :wink:

goughy
17th July 2004, 02:40 PM
Nice review hacker. I just don't like the look of the 704's from the back. I'm sure they are sweet as and I bet they look fantastic at address, but just the design of the cavity turns me off.

See if you can find a demo day run by a store rather than a brand. The last one we had in woomba was run by golfworld, and they had nike, tm, callaway/hogan/topflite, adams, brosnan, prosimmons, etc. You get to try out lots of different stuff, and can compare on the spot. I found a few surprises when I hit the irons.

I hit hogan apex blade, apex edge (don't think it was the pro), tm mb, tm lt and nike slingshot. I'd put the slingshot last simply because compared to the others it looks like london double decker bus standing next to porshe's. I was swinging ok that day, so all the results were pretty consistant. Best feeling was the apex blade :shock: , followed by the tm mb, the tm lt, then the hogan apex edge. I expected the edge to feel better, but it actually was kind of clunky, and bigger than I thought.

The r7 was the best driver I hit, even over the 510tp.

Jarro
18th July 2004, 08:50 AM
The r7 was the best driver I hit, even over the 510tp.

better watch your mouth mate or else Jaster and Iain will be pissed off.

for what it's worth, i agree with you 100%.

McMw
18th July 2004, 09:31 AM
goughy, the most important view of the iron head would be at the address posi :wink:
and if you don't like the look of the back, get some iron covers!!! :D

I saw them - they're great!!! a little bit more offset than the 690s, but I can live with that!!! :D

goughy
18th July 2004, 09:35 AM
I agree with ya mcmw, but with the multitude of great clubs available now days why settle for something you asthetically don't like. Just buy something pretty that works as well. :smt023

Jarro
18th July 2004, 09:40 AM
what do they retail for :?:

anyone know :?:

McMw
18th July 2004, 09:40 AM
abt 1200SGD around here....

nick
18th July 2004, 03:42 PM
How much does what retail for?

Nick

AndyP
18th July 2004, 03:55 PM
yeah i think i'm gonna look for new irons.
jarro, don't ever try to convince me that you are not a ho. :smt011 :P

Jarro
18th July 2004, 05:21 PM
yeah i think i'm gonna look for new irons.
jarro, don't ever try to convince me that you are not a ho. :smt011 :P

:wink:

jaster
18th July 2004, 06:31 PM
lt's would be nice tho.

K? :lol: :roll:

Iain
18th July 2004, 07:44 PM
..how forgiving are these new irons

they are very nice to look at, but do they really give you the forgiveness of a standard CB
Jarro, these irons aren't as bad forgiveness wise that they talk about on BSG, a mishit will not fly fly as far, but will go pretty straight, in fact a couple of shots at Nudgee last Wednesday that I hit a little low on the face both went exactly online with a slight draw, they just didn't fly far enough to settle next to the pin!!! 8)

If you could get a set cheap, I would highly recommend it, I'll give you a hit next time we play. :lol:

The r7 was the best driver I hit, even over the 510tp.better watch your mouth mate or else Jaster and Iain will be pissed off.

for what it's worth, i agree with you 100%.
Jarro, If I could get one and not cost me much I would, but I can't imagine it being a hell off a lot longer than my 510TP??

If you want forgiveness get PINGs, Iain just has BSG disease...I think him and Todd are long lost half brothers
Jaster, you're dreaming. I wouldn't even compare to 3/4's of the guys on that site, let alone you!!! :P :P

jaster
18th July 2004, 08:06 PM
Your in denial mate....you are the Taylormade lacky....that means BSG boy.. :wink:

goughy
18th July 2004, 08:28 PM
It's not so much that I thought the r7 was longer. It was a bad day for distances with the wind we had. I wouldn't necessarily say it was any longer (if) than my 360tour. But set to neutral I consistantly hit fades with it, and predictable. A bit shorter but in the fairway is better than 20mtrs further up behind a tree.

Jarro
18th July 2004, 09:52 PM
A bit shorter but in the fairway is better than 20mtrs further up behind a tree.

exactly the reason why i ditched the 300Tour in favour of the R7 :D

Iain
19th July 2004, 08:15 AM
Your in denial mate....you are the Taylormade lacky....that means BSG boy.. :wink:
:roll: :roll: If you could get the RAC's, you would of!!!! :P :P