PDA

View Full Version : Why did we close?

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 01:41 PM
To put it bluntly, Admin and mods needed a break from the constant trolls. It is hard work to run a non profit forum for members when certain members constantly troll the admin. It makes it a pretty thankless task and makes it doubly hard to feel motivated to do the work the forum needs to run.

It should not be too much to ask to expect people to show each other respect. Free speech comes with responsibility. You can speak freely but you also need to be prepared for the consequences. This is not a free for all venue and never has been. This website is run for the members, and too many members are not feeling comfortable enough to be part of the site in a real way because of trolls behaving badly. The trolls do not own the site. They do not have a RIGHT to troll just because they may or may not donate, or even just because they are a member. Members do however have a right to be treated with respect. Differences of opinion are perfectly fine, but it is how they are argued that is important. It needs to be done with respect.

This forum was originally created by ME. No one else. I created this forum because GOUGHY and LEON wanted a golf forum where they could enjoy chatting about golf without being trolled and without admin being too lax to do anything about it. That was the original vision for this forum and while it has gone of track a little because being admin is a very thankless task, that remains the vision for this site. When you make donations for this site, those donations are for that vision and not an excuse to troll because you feel you can lay claim on the forum. When goughy struggled with the time to admin and moderate the site, ANDYP stepped in to help admin. Andy took on the thankless task and deserves a lot of credit for the work he has put into this forum. Andy also deserves a LOT more respect than he is given. He started as an admin because he loved the site and agreed with it's vision. He uses his free time to maintain, moderate and admin this site and receives little to no thanks, in fact mostly gets the opposite. He deserves as much respect as any other member of this forum. Every member of this forum deserves to be heard without being trolled.

This forum needs to head back towards the original vision to bring Ozgolf back to a place where everyone feels welcome. This will mean that some members are going to be banned permanently. Where necessary I will step in as an impartial admin member to do the heavy lifting. I have a thick hide and have only an interest in the good of this forum and it is with that in mind that I will make decisions. Whining at me will do no good because I am impartial and have no personal agenda except the good of this forum. If people behave like children, their toys will be removed.

I hope to see things improve from here on out and I hope that all Ozgolf members start getting the respect they deserve. If respect is not shown action will be taken. Posts will be removed, bans will be made. We will do what is needed to get this forum back to a friendly place free of trolls.

meh
2nd July 2014, 03:23 PM
Hard to argue with any of that.

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 03:24 PM
sounds like a troll.

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 03:25 PM
Can I see a copy of this vision so I can conform to it and what I can be told is acceptable and not acceptable to post?

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 03:27 PM
Check the rules. It's pretty simple really.

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 03:28 PM
maybe you need to post them here.

i'm pretty simple around a computer. i can't seem to find them.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 03:31 PM
maybe you need to post them here.

i'm pretty simple around a computer. i can't seem to find them.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/28404-OZgolf-Forum-Rules-and-Infraction-Points

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 03:33 PM
you're so very helpful.

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 03:33 PM
I follow the rules and will continue to do so. But it seems you can be banned for not following the vision. I don't understand this and just asking for the explanation?

What are you (with the most utmost respect to the great forum it is) trying to achieve? I have met some of the best friends and anyone who has met me knows i like to play golf and have a good time... is that not the vision?

Perhaps we need more +1 posts and eye rolling emoticons.

ps. im glad the forum is back

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 03:41 PM
You follow the vision by following the rules. If you break the rules you risk getting banned. That has never changed.

live4golf
2nd July 2014, 03:42 PM
Thank god you are back OG. I nearly started doing some work.

Hope the issues get sorted permanently, like the majority I enjoy talking golf and crap too much for OG to die.

LeftyHoges
2nd July 2014, 03:49 PM
I follow the rules and will continue to do so. But it seems you can be banned for not following the vision. I don't understand this and just asking for the explanation?

What are you (with the most utmost respect to the great forum it is) trying to achieve? I have met some of the best friends and anyone who has met me knows i like to play golf and have a good time... is that not the vision?

Perhaps we need more +1 posts and eye rolling emoticons.

ps. im glad the forum is back

+1 :roll:

rubin
2nd July 2014, 03:52 PM
based on a quick scan shades, i would suggest something along the lines of the 3 recent topics Yoss posted.

I didn't get to see them though.

Wenz
2nd July 2014, 03:54 PM
Thank god you are back OG. I nearly started doing some work.

Hope the issues get sorted permanently, like the majority I enjoy talking golf and crap too much for OG to die.

Exactly me atm, I've been more productive today than ever. :lol:

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 03:54 PM
You follow the vision by following the rules. If you break the rules you risk getting banned. That has never changed.

I find your profile "ready to nuke" offensive and intimidatory. Could you please change it.

Steve
2nd July 2014, 03:55 PM
I am very happy this is back up, I do enjoy the forum and the golf days

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 03:58 PM
me too Steve, best golfing days i have had, i think some people need to realise this and why people are here.

IamViva
2nd July 2014, 04:01 PM
it closed?:shock:

a young austrian artist had a vision once, didnt end well for my people :(

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 04:03 PM
Serious question Clikchic; what makes you an impartial admin member? Do you not know other mods or members?

goughy
2nd July 2014, 04:06 PM
Yep, she knows a few people. That's all. More concerned with the forum than friendships (which has a serious affect on moderation). After all this place was her baby.

sms316
2nd July 2014, 04:06 PM
Can we still give jarro shit?

backintheswing
2nd July 2014, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know if tapatalk is working? Mine isn't.

MegaWatty
2nd July 2014, 04:10 PM

It is now. Log out and back in.

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 04:11 PM

who's Jarro?

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 04:13 PM
I find your profile "ready to nuke" offensive and intimidatory. Could you please change it.

no.

me too Steve, best golfing days i have had, i think some people need to realise this and why people are here.

This is what we want back.

Serious question Clikchic; what makes you an impartial admin member? Do you not know other mods or members?

I do know some members but I don't have close friendships with anyone. I care more about the forum and don't have close friendships to make moderating difficult.

no

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 04:15 PM
Can we still give jarro shit? He handles it well and comes back at you. Let him decide.

IamViva
2nd July 2014, 04:16 PM
will jarro's trolling continue?

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 04:18 PM
will jarro's trolling continue?

If Jarro trolls I will act accordingly. Report and put my name in the report comments for me to look at.

Lagerlover
2nd July 2014, 04:20 PM

Vietnam??...did rate well though, apparently.

Matt1979
2nd July 2014, 04:21 PM
Exactly me atm, I've been more productive today than ever. :lol:

me too - almost put in a solid day at work -- almost

Steve
2nd July 2014, 04:23 PM

Yes, I deleted the forum then added it again

goughy
2nd July 2014, 04:23 PM
me too - almost put in a solid day at work -- almost

I bloody didn't!

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 04:25 PM
why's that?

Johnny Canuck
Yes, I deleted the forum then added it again

So did Clikchic!

Boom Tish!

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Outcast
Seems pretty simple folk...

Perhaps a little respect all round is in order for everyone...

Golfwhang
2nd July 2014, 04:27 PM
Seems pretty simple folk...Perhaps a little respect all round is in order for everyone... +1

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 04:34 PM
;)

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 04:36 PM
+1

BroKar
2nd July 2014, 04:39 PM

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 04:40 PM
= 0

Dotty
2nd July 2014, 04:43 PM
Seems a lot of friction lately has been generated from relatively new members bleating about needing 150 posts, before they can use this place as The Trading Post.

Feel free to nuke them first.

WBennett
2nd July 2014, 04:44 PM
= 0 Your total # of fireball wins?Lets take this as a warning, albeit a very poorly handled one.Play nice. Start first tee threads again. And stop being dicks. And that includes mods....

BroKar
2nd July 2014, 04:44 PM
I spend a fair bit of time on here, not as much as some but a fair bit, are some people / moderators being a tad precious? not having a go or trolling but I don't think I have ever seen anything on here that is majorly offensive

Archi
2nd July 2014, 04:47 PM
This place is hilarious !
Glad the forum is back up and running , cause i check in here about 4 times a day
You go Mod's - do what ever you have to

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 04:49 PM
Your total # of fireball wins?Lets take this as a warning, albeit a very poorly handled one.Play nice. Start first tee threads again. And stop being dicks. And that includes mods....

Well said.

That was pretty funny from Ashby.

coalesce
2nd July 2014, 04:51 PM
Seems a lot of friction lately has been generated from relatively new members bleating about needing 150 posts, before they can use this place as The Trading Post.

Feel free to nuke them first.

Why should that actually cause any friction? I would think that situation is pretty easy to mod - tell the newbies not to do it and you'd think they'd fall in line pretty quickly (or leave).

As a relatively new member myself, it more seems to me that it is established (groups of) individuals that have been sniping at other established (groups of) individuals over a long period of time. In the absence of a thread explaining the various cliques that exist here, and who dislikes who and why, I would have thought the worst new members can do is try and play along with whatever is happening when they don't understand any bigger picture.

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 04:52 PM
Your total # of fireball wins?Lets take this as a warning, albeit a very poorly handled one.Play nice. Start first tee threads again. And stop being dicks. And that includes mods....

Ouch. Is banter still ok?

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 04:56 PM
Why should that actually cause any friction? I would think that situation is pretty easy to mod - tell the newbies not to do it and you'd think they'd fall in line pretty quickly (or leave).

As a relatively new member myself, it more seems to me that it is established (groups of) individuals that have been sniping at other established (groups of) individuals over a long period of time. In the absence of a thread explaining the various cliques that exist here, and who dislikes who and why, I would have thought the worst new members can do is try and play along with whatever is happening when they don't understand any bigger picture.

Turn up to OG days and see that most are just keyboard warrioring and all a good guys/girls. Its just the internet, people are too serious, we only get one shot at life.

My best advice is to go to an orgnaised day, get drunk, chop it up and get naked.

Hux
2nd July 2014, 05:03 PM

So did Martin Luther King and it's been a lot better for his people.

Glad to see the forum back up - bits perci and I were wondering what to spend our money on if the pro shop was gone from our lives!

I agree with Clic - this place has been dying for a while now due to ego and attitude - the lack of first tee threads is a good indicator of just how it has slipped.

Let's get back to having egos in the box. Not posting just because you have nothing better to do and think you are funny.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 05:04 PM
If everyone behaved the same on the forum as they did in person I doubt we would have as much of a problem as we have been having. Treat people with respect on the forum as you would in person and there won't be any problems.

mrbluu
2nd July 2014, 05:14 PM
I'm glad the forum is back up and running. I've meet a bunch of good people here that I now consider friends. I've also have learnt so much about the game of golf, golf equipment and club building. I've also have had some of my best golf trip and some of my best days with OZgolfers. It would have been a shame if a handful of ppl ruin it for all.

Hopefully everyone can play nice.

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 05:16 PM
I hadnt seen hardly any animosity or trolling in recent months. I'm still confused as to the sudden and childish reaction, and still not sure what rules have been broken?

I guess we are all at the beck and call of what the mods deem appropriate at any one time.

+1:roll:

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 05:17 PM
If everyone behaved the same on the forum as they did in person I doubt we would have as much of a problem as we have been having. Treat people with respect on the forum as you would in person and there won't be any problems.

Yoss does, but his comedic genius is much easier to recognise when you meet him in person. Doubt there's anyone that has met him that doesn't think he's a top bloke.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 05:33 PM
Yoss does, but his comedic genius is much easier to recognise when you meat him in person. Doubt there's anyone that has met him that doesn't think he's a top bloke.

Meat him?

Nice Freudian slip considering who you are talking about.

Yoss is a top guy. His recent actions were not severe at all.

Most of his arguments were intelligently stated, but could be seen as trolling, by some, which wasn't always the case. When his intelligent argument could not be rebutted, it was then deemed that he must be trolling.

He did have a history with upstanding former members Jaybam and Zigwah, but he had paid the price and served his time accordingly.

A ban now is unwarranted, but if those that own the site deem it should be done, it is ultimately their choice.

I have no issues with any mods and don't wish to have any, but there is one in particular that trolled and baited arguably more than Yoss in recent times. A lot of the time, Yoss was the target of it. Do I think anything needs to be done there? Not at all. It was done in good fun.

There are a few emotions riding high at the moment. People need to step back and relax a bit. "Nuking" is not the answer to this becoming a friendly environment.

BrettM
2nd July 2014, 05:35 PM
Why was Golfer69 banned as well?

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 05:39 PM
Not everyone sees every bit of the trolling. The moderators make decisions based on the rules. Sometimes posts are removed before you see them.

There are several people who constantly push the boundaries for the fun of it, or troll in such a way that does not appear to be trolling except if you know the whole back story. Often you wont know the full story. Moderators have to make decisions based on the information they have available, which you may not be privy to.

Moderators are acting in the best interest of the forum and it's members. As long as members are respectful of other members and do not troll, they have nothing to worry about. If they are intentionally pushing the boundaries or trolling, (and those people know who they are) they are at risk of infractions and banning.

It is not fair that members are leaving the forum because of trolls. Members of admin have left or taken breaks because of trolling rather than cause a fuss because of not wanting to cause trouble and that is wrong. They shouldn't have to leave because someone is purposely trolling them. The trolls should be punished, not the member who is being trolled.

Everyone has their limits. Particularly when trying to moderate a forum where they have formed friendships with members. Admin is not childish for closing the forum for a short period. The childish ones are the ones who feel the need to constantly troll in order to gain attention. Shutting down the forum until things settle down, taking a break and reassessing is sensible action for someone to take when they are constantly being pushed. Many forget that each and every member of the admin and mod team are volunteers. They don't get paid to do the hard work of moderating. They do it because they love the forum and the friendships that form here. True friendships need respect to function properly. Disrespect does no one any good. It is time people started acting like adults instead of trolling forums just because they can.

BrisWesty
2nd July 2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks clikchic. Appreciate it's a thankless task, and unfortunately some people take advantage of people's good nature.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 05:48 PM
Not everyone sees every bit of the trolling. The moderators make decisions based on the rules. Sometimes posts are removed before you see them.

There are several people who constantly push the boundaries for the fun of it, or troll in such a way that does not appear to be trolling except if you know the whole back story. Often you wont know the full story. Moderators have to make decisions based on the information they have available, which you may not be privy to.

Moderators are acting in the best interest of the forum and it's members. As long as members are respectful of other members and do not troll, they have nothing to worry about. If they are intentionally pushing the boundaries or trolling, (and those people know who they are) they are at risk of infractions and banning.

It is not fair that members are leaving the forum because of trolls. Members of admin have left or taken breaks because of trolling rather than cause a fuss because of not wanting to cause trouble and that is wrong. They shouldn't have to leave because someone is purposely trolling them. The trolls should be punished, not the member who is being trolled.

Everyone has their limits. Particularly when trying to moderate a forum where they have formed friendships with members. Admin is not childish for closing the forum for a short period. The childish ones are the ones who feel the need to constantly troll in order to gain attention. Shutting down the forum until things settle down, taking a break and reassessing is sensible action for someone to take when they are constantly being pushed. Many forget that each and every member of the admin and mod team are volunteers. They don't get paid to do the hard work of moderating. They do it because they love the forum and the friendships that form here. True friendships need respect to function properly. Disrespect does no one any good. It is time people started acting like adults instead of trolling forums just because they can.

With all due respect, ClikChic, you don't spend much time here at all, so you wouldn't be up to speed about all of the happenings.

Other than Jarro who has a noted history with Yoss and maybe AP as he gets annoyed by stupidity easily, I can't see the other mods thinking a ban of Yoss was fitting as he really hadn't done much. The last I saw, he was arguing a point, but not trolling at all.

How could such severe actions be taken?

Regarding shutting it down, if you had two troublesome students in your child's class, would you cancel class until they were dealt with, or would you deal with those two students individually?

As for being admin, it's a thankless job, but it is required. It should just be done fairly.

Losing G69 is tough as he has more industry knowledge than anyone here. Not sure what he did this time to warrant it.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks clikchic. Appreciate it's a thankless task, and unfortunately some people take advantage of people's good nature.

In what way?

Webster
Wow....been golfing all day and missed what happened...who got banned?

Grunt
As a longtime member I must admit i have lost a little interest in OzGolf. Until,

Last Sunday at Kogarah was an example to all of what it is about. A bunch of mates all gathering for a game of golf. Sure there is the chatter about it all but really I think that is what Jaster, Goughy and some others got together to make this site.

Grunt
2nd July 2014, 05:50 PM
Wow....been golfing all day and missed what happened...who got banned?Are we allowed to know who is banned ?

live4golf
2nd July 2014, 05:56 PM
It is now. Log out and back in.

How very IT Support Desk of you :)

MegaWatty
2nd July 2014, 05:57 PM
How very IT Support Desk of you :)

I do my best. If it didn't work, then cycling the power was next.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 05:57 PM
With all due respect, ClikChic, you don't spend much time here at all, so you wouldn't be up to speed about all of the happenings.

Other than Jarro who has a noted history with Yoss and maybe AP as he gets annoyed by stupidity easily, I can't see the other mods thinking a ban of Yoss was fitting as he really hadn't done much. The last I saw, he was arguing a point, but not trolling at all.

How could such severe actions be taken?

Regarding shutting it down, if you had two troublesome students in your child's class, would you cancel class until they were dealt with, or would you deal with those two students individually?

As for being admin, it's a thankless job, but it is required. It should just be done fairly.

Losing G69 is tough as he has more industry knowledge than anyone here. Not sure what he did this time to warrant it.

I may not spend a lot of time here of late but that doesn't mean I don't know what goes on. I do discuss issues with admin members from time to time directly and indirectly. I know of several issues that have come up over the years and I know how the forum is run. I don't see every post and I know not every moderator is impartial. We are all human. We all have our limits. In the grand scheme of things a forum shutting down for less than a day is hardly a major issue. If it helps people gain a little bit of perspective, it can only be a good thing.

I don't think you can really compare running a forum to running a classroom. Kids have boundaries and like to push them. I think the forum equates more to a toy than a classroom and sometimes kids need toys taken away to settle down and get perspective.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 06:00 PM

I heart-fully agree! :)

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 06:02 PM
What did Yoss do that warranted a banning?

If there were so many issues, how come the infraction system that was put in place wasn't followed?

Surely warnings should have been issued and time bans given before an absolute banning.

BenM
2nd July 2014, 06:02 PM
I'm glad the forum is back. I know what a thankless task it is being a mod/admin.

Will post an essay later maybe, if Tapatalk is working. Suffice to say I can understand why people got frustrated. Hope everyone can take the feedback on board and try to avoid it happening again.

Hux
2nd July 2014, 06:10 PM
I may not spend a lot of time here of late but that doesn't mean I don't know what goes on. I do discuss issues with admin members from time to time directly and indirectly. I know of several issues that have come up over the years and I know how the forum is run. I don't see every post and I know not every moderator is impartial. We are all human. We all have our limits. In the grand scheme of things a forum shutting down for less than a day is hardly a major issue. If it helps people gain a little bit of perspective, it can only be a good thing.

I don't think you can really compare running a forum to running a classroom. Kids have boundaries and like to push them. I think the forum equates more to a toy than a classroom and sometimes kids need toys taken away to settle down and get perspective.

Well said. Can't say I agree about closing for the day but the sentiment is spot on.

Can I suggest that just deleting posts or threads will achieve more than booting people.
If your smart ass post is wiped quickly u probably lose interest in doing it quick enough

matty
2nd July 2014, 06:13 PM
First tee NSW is thriving. Just sayin ;)

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 06:16 PM
What did Yoss do that warranted a banning?

If there were so many issues, how come the infraction system that was put in place wasn't followed?

Surely warnings should have been issued and time bans given before an absolute banning.

Convenient to blame Yoss and others.

In no way could the state of the forum be a reflection of those in charge of it.

LarryLong
2nd July 2014, 06:17 PM
Not posting just because you have nothing better to do and think you are funny.

There goes most of my output. :)

Steve57
2nd July 2014, 06:19 PM
Well said. Can't say I agree about closing for the day but the sentiment is spot on.

Can I suggest that just deleting posts or threads will achieve more than booting people.
If your smart ass post is wiped quickly u probably lose interest in doing it quick enough
Well said Hux.
Shutting the forum for most of the day has made us a laughing stock, particularly in the eyes of those at Iseekgolf.
Things should have been handled far more maturely than they were.
Rant over.
Its great to have the best golf forum on the internet back up and running!

3oneday
2nd July 2014, 06:20 PM
So will Hocko return now? Isn't this what popped the pimple?

And yes, I'd say this in real life too, without an emoticon.

markTHEblake
2nd July 2014, 06:22 PM
Gee.all this cos Hicko had a sissy fit

Steve57
2nd July 2014, 06:23 PM
So will Hocko return now? Isn't this what popped the pimple?

And yes, I'd say this in real life too, without an emoticon.
I'm sure it wasnt Yoss that upset Hocko!

goughy
2nd July 2014, 06:23 PM
In no way could the state of the forum be a reflection of those in charge of it.

Absolutely. We shouldn't have let stuff go on as we did. Won't happen in the future. clikchic won't allow us to slip.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 06:25 PM
Well said Hux.
Shutting the forum for most of the day has made us a laughing stock, particularly in the eyes of those at Iseekgolf.

So? Why should we care?

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 06:26 PM

So you've established a view based (at least in part) on what you've been told by others.

Your comment about impartiality is starting to sound like bullshit to me.

Jackson
2nd July 2014, 06:26 PM
Seems strange that one guy posting about turtles was enough to shut down an entire forum.

goughy
2nd July 2014, 06:28 PM
Well said Hux.
Things should have been handled far more maturely than they were.

It gave some of us the freedom to discuss things today without having an active forum going in the background. It was good for us. As far as a laughing stock, we'll survive. It's not like our value just plunged on the stock exchange. We're a free internet discussion forum. I have no issues with shanks, isg, tgf or any other place. But their opinion of us has little concern for me.

Steve57
2nd July 2014, 06:28 PM
We should care because we all have our own opinion. Trying to force your opinion on others is frought with danger!

WBennett
2nd July 2014, 06:29 PM
First tee NSW is thriving. Just sayin ;)

On that note, I turn 39 in September. I'll be looking at organising a Mt Broughton Day around then if anyone would be keen (also dependent on their coring)

goughy
2nd July 2014, 06:30 PM
So you've established a view based (at least in part) on what you've been told by others.

Regardless, you're gonna have to get used to it.

Steve
2nd July 2014, 06:31 PM
Nice, happy birthday for then.

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 06:32 PM

Meh

It will pass

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 06:35 PM

I am perfectly capable of verifying issues by reading threads. I am about as impartial as anyone can be on a forum because I don't have close relationships with the members. If that is not good enough for you that is ok with me.

3oneday
2nd July 2014, 06:36 PM
Sounds like a few have a decision to make. With or without, it's a bit like life in general, those who leave will be replaced at some point.

Steve
2nd July 2014, 06:36 PM
If this thread goes on much longer, we will be closed for another day :)

3oneday
2nd July 2014, 06:37 PM
On

Ned
2nd July 2014, 06:37 PM

Respect earn't is respect given.

Hux
2nd July 2014, 06:38 PM
I'll be upfront and say that ozgolf was when I first joined a source of great enjoyment. The sense of welcoming at 1st tee games , the fact most were more focused on having a great day rather than a great score won me over. It doesn't mean that much to me anymore sadly. Certain elements have destroyed the simple pleasures and obvious banter with over the top behaviour.

I have however made some great mates and gone to some great games - my first champs at pelican was memorable as was Vic champs this year. This to me is what clikchick was on about when she created this for jaster and goughy.

Has the forum changed - yes. For the better - probably no. Can I put my finger on when - yep. 2 points in time and articulating this will probably offend so I will leave it alone.

I hope this forum can get back to its origins.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 06:40 PM
NK, I just have to say you have a really annoying fly on your screen.

mrbluu
2nd July 2014, 06:41 PM
On that note, I turn 39 in September. I'll be looking at organising a Mt Broughton Day around then if anyone would be keen (also dependent on their coring)

Maybe an early birthday in August???

Hux
2nd July 2014, 06:42 PM

Ashes sounds like you have an agenda. You think this place has been going well of late?

Just sayin

Ned
2nd July 2014, 06:42 PM
I have however made some great mates and gone to some great games - my first champs at pelican was memorable

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..................................................

LeftyHoges
2nd July 2014, 06:43 PM
My best advice is to go to an orgnaised day, get drunk, chop it up and get naked.

In that order?

markTHEblake
2nd July 2014, 06:45 PM
Ashes sounds like you have an agenda. You think this place has been going well of late? Just sayinI hadn't noticed anything not going well. Unless it all happened in the rugby league or soccer threads

WBennett
2nd July 2014, 06:47 PM
Has the forum changed - yes. For the better - probably no. Can I put my finger on when - yep. 2 points in time and articulating this will probably offend so I will leave it alone.

Hux, you are a big boy with a gun. Call it out.

And Vic Champs 2014 was the best weekend of golf. Ever.

WBennett
Maybe an early birthday in August???

I might create a thread. Why August?

Johnny Canuck
Ashes sounds like you have an agenda. You think this place has been going well of late?

Just sayin

There were zero infractions and hardly any arguments. By that measurement it was fine.

People not choosing to participate is entirely up to them.

Will the removal of Yoss and G69 get them to all flock back now? I think not.

Weren't all the first tee issues caused by a few Nudgee members excluding others from games?

Ned
2nd July 2014, 06:48 PM

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000 :roll:

sms316
2nd July 2014, 06:51 PM
Weren't all the first tee issues caused by a few Nudgee members excluding others from games? I can't imagine anyone would be offended if they miss out on a game at Nudgee. I'd be more offended if I was forced to play there.

live4golf
2nd July 2014, 06:52 PM
I am perfectly capable of verifying issues by reading threads. I am about as impartial as anyone can be on a forum because I don't have close relationships with the members. If that is not good enough for you that is ok with me.

I'd hope you have at least one close relationship :)

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 06:56 PM
I'd hope you have at least one close relationship :)

Good thing goughy isn't a troll. ;)

LeftyHoges
2nd July 2014, 06:57 PM
I would like it officially noted that I think the shutdown was ridiculous, the way it's been handled with the members was insulting but the real annoyance of mine is that the banning of Yossarian and Gollfer69 is pure bullshit. The first two I can live with but the last point I loathe.

mrbluu
2nd July 2014, 06:58 PM
I might create a thread. Why August?

Definitely will beat the coring ;-)

WBennett
2nd July 2014, 06:59 PM
I would like it officially noted that I think the shutdown was ridiculous, the way it's been handled with the members was insulting but the real annoyance of mine is that the banning of Yossarian and Gollfer69 is pure bullshit. The first two I can live with but the last point I loathe. LeftyYou are a respected member of the forum who is the antithesis of troll.Well said.

sms316
2nd July 2014, 07:00 PM
So is someone who enjoys banter (both giving and receiving) defined as a troll?

Steve57
2nd July 2014, 07:05 PM
If Yoss and G69 were the two biggest problems on here, then I suggest that there is very little wrong in Ozgolf world!

BrettM
2nd July 2014, 07:11 PM
It is easy to state that moderators do it for free, own time, etc.

But having been a moderator at a site with over 32,000 current members, the moderators here know that they accepted the role voluntarily with the understanding of the responsibilities which come with the role. If they can't keep up, or can't maintain a level of consistency then they should step down.

Hux
2nd July 2014, 07:12 PM

Nope it will offend too many. I'll say it in person to anyone but here it's just too hard.

And saying Vic 14 was the best is like a nsw supporter saying 2014 state of origin was best series ever:-)
You would have said it was qld 2010 ? When Nk and I tried to get henno over .05 off the fumes in the car - Ned won the blue balls for his efforts!

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 07:12 PM
If Yoss and G69 were the two biggest problems on here, then I suggest that there is very little wrong in Ozgolf world!

Bingo.

mike
2nd July 2014, 07:13 PM
All very confusing.

I was online last night when I think things started to go pear shaped. Unless there was something else happening in the background I see no reason for the banning of G69 and Yoss.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 07:13 PM
Nope it will offend too many. I'll say it in person to anyone but here it's just too hard.

And saying Vic 14 was the best is like a nsw supporter saying 2014 state of origin was best series ever:-)
You would have said it was qld 2010 ? When Nk and I tried to get henno over .05 off the fumes in the car - Ned won the blue balls for his efforts!

Mate. It's based on the forum, air it on the forum.

markTHEblake
2nd July 2014, 07:16 PM
Mate. It's based on the forum, air it on the forum. I am a changed person now. I would rather Hux not open old wounds.

Moe Norman
2nd July 2014, 07:22 PM
]
I see no reason for the banning of G69 and Yoss.

Serial trouble makers who had an annoying habit of backing their arguments with facts and reason. Get rid of them !

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 07:23 PM
i thought we learnt our lesson with Julia!

Ned
2nd July 2014, 07:31 PM
i thought we learnt our lesson with Julia!

Is that Mega's closet persona? :wink:

Jackson
2nd July 2014, 07:32 PM
As a newer member Yoss was one of the most welcoming people on the forum, even PM'd me before my first OzGolf day to make sure I felt welcome and give me some tips on the courses we were playing. In my short time here I have never seen him abuse anyone or be offensive, I've seen plenty of banter involving him, but it went both ways and seemed pretty light hearted to me and no worse than many other members and moderators who seem to have escaped the wrath of the new vision regime.
Anyway, I'm only a newbie so take the above for what little it's worth.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 07:34 PM
Serial trouble makers who had an annoying habit of backing their arguments with facts and reason. Get rid of them !

That's the kicker. Facts and reason are tough to argue against.

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 07:36 PM
yep, the ppl don't know how to retort, get upset so they report or ban.

got me completely ****ed!

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 07:41 PM
Every pancake has two sides. If you don't understand the reasoning, chances are you don't know the full story.

Ned
2nd July 2014, 07:42 PM
http://www.quizony.com/how-is-your-temper/index2.html

3oneday
2nd July 2014, 07:42 PM
I generally burn the first side, and serve the other way up :)

mint
2nd July 2014, 07:45 PM
Glad its back.. If people are getting offended with so called trolls get their phone number and front them personally.. pretty much everyone on here knows each other or has played with someone that has played with someone on this site.. FFS its pretty simple if someone is making threats or being super offensive just ban them if not just let them be the regular a**hole they normally are. Society is not a perfect place so you cant expect a online forum to be a utopia for human behaviour

Steve57
2nd July 2014, 07:45 PM
I generally burn the first side, and serve the other way up :)
Is that like turning the other cheek Pete?

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 07:46 PM
http://www.quizony.com/how-is-your-temper/index2.html

Fun Quiz.. here's mine.

Your temper isGoodYou have a steady temperament. You’re assertive, not aggressive. You may be slow to anger but you do get angry now and then. And, unlike a lot of people’s, your temper can actually spur you to take useful and necessary action. But you’re never out of control

Ned
2nd July 2014, 07:48 PM
The Mental Age one was good too.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 07:50 PM
Send me the link, be happy to share. :)

Webster
2nd July 2014, 07:50 PM
Every pancake has two sides. If you don't understand the reasoning, chances are you don't know the full story.

Hello Robyn,

I have just spoken with Gollfer69 on the phone and he has no idea why he has been banned (for ever). It would appear that the reasoning for his expulsion has been ineffectively communicated.

I offer no opinion on whether your decision to ban him is correct or incorrect. I am just relaying the message that a long standing member is now on the outer for good, and has no idea why, which I feel is very poor.

Jack.

Ned
2nd July 2014, 07:53 PM
http://www.quizony.com/mentalAge/index.html

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 07:53 PM
Oh wait found it. Meh close.

Your mental age is37

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 07:54 PM
So Yoss the troublemaker is only spoken of in a positive light by pretty much everyone, including people that have no affiliation with him but he deserves banning.

What exactly is going on here?

Goughy, who is a top guy from my dealings with him, stepped way back a year or so ago so that he didn't need to get involved in things like this.

Why has the family been thrust into the middle of this, when there is a mod team in place to do that very job?

There seems to be way too much emotion involved at the moment.

Let's step back and relax and deal with this tomorrow before we end up with more banning a that probably are not warranted.

BUSHY
2nd July 2014, 07:56 PM
I wouldnt like to think what people part way through a prosohp deal with no other means of communication were thinking...

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 07:59 PM
Jack

Gollfer69 knows why he has been banned, he just probably doesn't know why "now". Goughy is talking to him as I type and has already been talking to him before you even posted..

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 08:00 PM
I had a great deal of dramas with that today. with the help of good friends on this site i was able to continue with the transactions. no thanks to 1 or 2 ppl on here.

timah!
2nd July 2014, 08:02 PM

Jack

Gollfer69 knows why he has been banned, he just probably doesn't know why "now". Goughy is talking to him as I type and has already been talking to him before you even posted..

Excellent. So that makes a grand total of how many people who know why?

You've been asked the direct question numerous times already in this thread, so how about rather than this cryptic rubbish you answer it. You want/expect people to buy into this 'mods do their best for blah blah blah' spiel then how about coming to the party. It has been a long time gripe about the number of secret squirrel warnings/bannings that go on which has now resulted in a shutdown.
Perhaps it's time for a little transparency...

Webster
2nd July 2014, 08:02 PM
Robyn, as I said, it was poorly communicated, which you have just confirmed.

That is all from me on this matter.

ddasey
2nd July 2014, 08:03 PM
Wow, lots had happened in have last 24hrs.

So some people have been banned. Don't take this the wrong way but have they been banned on the basis of prior behavior or something new.

If it is based on prior, is it something that had been dealt with earlier.

Too me it seems a little like double jeopardy.

Ps

Glad the site is back up and running. Met a lot of good people through ozgolf 👍

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 08:04 PM
Jack for Mod

Steve57
2nd July 2014, 08:05 PM
Excellent. So that makes a grand total of how many people who know why?

You've been asked the direct question numerous times already in this thread, so how about rather than this cryptic rubbish you answer it. You want/expect people to buy into this 'mods do their best for blah blah blah' spiel then how about coming to the party. It has been a long time gripe about the number of secret squirrel warnings/bannings that go on which has now resulted in a shutdown.
Perhaps it's time for a little transparency...
:smt038:smt038

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 08:06 PM
No one else is going to be banned tonight as long as they follow the rules. You guys are pulling me away from Offspring! Not even the state of origin can do that!

The bans were not all a direct result of immediate events. Goughy left when he did because of a troll and he didn't want to ban the offending person because of his friendships on the forum. If it had been me I would have banned him without question. His behaviour was uncalled for and downright nasty. One of today's bans is that person. I will not discuss the bans further except to say that I am the one who has done them and if you don't understand the reasons you don't know the whole story.

Emotion has not come into it on my part at all. I am the only one who has done the banning and I am not emotionally involved.

matty
2nd July 2014, 08:09 PM
53 browsing this thread. Gotta be a record.

Steve57
2nd July 2014, 08:09 PM
No one else is going to be banned tonight as long as they follow the rules. You guys are pulling me away from Offspring! Not even the state of origin can do that!

The bans were not all a direct result of immediate events. Goughy left when he did because of a troll and he didn't want to ban the offending person because of his friendships on the forum. If it had been me I would have banned him without question. His behaviour was uncalled for and downright nasty. One of today's bans is that person. I will not discuss the bans further except to say that I am the one who has done them and if you don't understand the reasons you don't know the whole story.

Emotion has not come into it on my part at all. I am the only one who has done the banning and I am not emotionally involved.
How can you say your not emotionally involved when you are married to the Mod that was the subject of said nasty behaviour?

BrettM
2nd July 2014, 08:10 PM
Goughy, who is a top guy from my dealings with him, stepped way back a year or so ago so that he didn't need to get involved in things like this.

Why has the family been thrust into the middle of this, when there is a mod team in place to do that very job?

In which lies the heart of all this IMO, a lack of consistent moderation.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 08:11 PM
I was going to post that it was good to see some old names here again, such as Briswesty and Moe Norman.

I guess we won't be seeing anymore of Moe.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/02/zarytu2a.jpg

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure all mods who have been actaully active on the forum agree with the decisions being made.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 08:13 PM

I have never got involved in that argument because it is fact.

I don't disagree because mates will always take care of mates, which is how it works in a privately owned environment.

MegaWatty
2nd July 2014, 08:15 PM
Hi all. Here I am. Attack a mod directly. I feel I should have a chance to defend myself.

graham_w
2nd July 2014, 08:18 PM
Sounds like the bat and ball was picked up and half way home before this was thought through. All this thread is and the responses within is some sort of self justification for what has gone on.

I've seen this happen before on other sites and it didn't end well. The horse has bolted a long time ago and if you were serious about all this, it should have been dealt with then. Having inconsistent rules and regulations is going to create a fractured site, if it isn't there already.

WBennett
2nd July 2014, 08:19 PM
Hi all. Here I am. Attack a mod directly. I feel I should have a chance to defend myself.

Watty

Was the trouble last night worth burning a significant stake of Ozgolf community goodwill?

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 08:19 PM

The lack of consistent moderation has been due to people not wanting to offend friends who behave badly. That is why I am here. I am not concerned with offending people so won't hold back when moderating is needed.

Despite the fact I am married to goughy I am perfectly capable of remaining objective. I don't get offended very easily and can put my emotions aside to decide what is fair. Ozgolf has a very long history and while I have not always been directly involved I have always been around. (from day 1) I do read threads when mods find them too upsetting to address. There have been many times I have advised goughy to take action and he has not wanted to because of his friendships. The problem has been the lack of moderation, not the other way around. Trolls have been allowed to constantly push the boundaries because of friendships. That needs to stop if this forum is going to continue to exist because there is only so much mods can take before they are being pushed too far.

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 08:23 PM
Watty

In our opinion what was pushed to far?

MegaWatty
2nd July 2014, 08:24 PM
Watty

Was the trouble last night worth burning a significant stake of Ozgolf community goodwill?

****. The hard questions straight up. I don't know if I'm allowed to answer that or not. I was disappointed when I couldn't log on and then saw it closed.

For nearly 24 hours I have been been on my phone fielding numerous texts and having discussions with the admin team. It has purely absorbed my day and I can't so it tomorrow because my kids are more important than this.

I am passionate about Ozgolf and that's why I have let it overtake me completely for the last 24 hours. I can't say I'm happy to read a lot of the anti mod sentiment in here. Yes we are a group but amongst us there are a lot of differing opinions.

Political answer? Probably. You're from the ACT though so I'm sure you'll see what you need to in the post.

Cheers.

PerryGroves
2nd July 2014, 08:24 PM
If trolling is now deemed to be punters who take the piss, well I may head off.

Being an annoying FW is one thing, calling out hypocrisy and weak opinions is another completely different position. Yoss doesnt need me to stand up for him, but I would rather ban the dull and the pious.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 08:32 PM
Guys, if you don't like the hard decisions being made, you don't have to stay. Start your own forum, or go to ISG... do whatever you like. There are plenty of people who will enjoy a forum better without the drama. I know there are plenty who will enjoy the forum better without the trolling.

The rules have always been there, but they have not always been acted upon. I have removed a few people who were causing issues and hope the place will become more welcoming to EVERYONE, including women and teens and of course current members.

BrettM
2nd July 2014, 08:32 PM
The lack of consistent moderation has been due to people not wanting to offend friends who behave badly. That is why I am here. I am not concerned with offending people so won't hold back when moderating is needed.

Despite the fact I am married to goughy I am perfectly capable of remaining objective. I don't get offended very easily and can put my emotions aside to decide what is fair. Ozgolf has a very long history and while I have not always been directly involved I have always been around. (from day 1) I do read threads when mods find them too upsetting to address. There have been many times I have advised goughy to take action and he has not wanted to because of his friendships. The problem has been the lack of moderation, not the other way around. Trolls have been allowed to constantly push the boundaries because of friendships. That needs to stop if this forum is going to continue to exist because there is only so much mods can take before they are being pushed too far.

Thanks Robyn, I agree with you with your 'lack of moderation' writing.

Nothing against your mods personally, I know Courty personally and have played a number of rounds with him. He is a great guy. But we are dealing with a playing the ball, not the man instance.

BenM
2nd July 2014, 08:33 PM
If trolling is now deemed to be punters who take the piss, well I may head off.

Being an annoying FW is one thing, calling out hypocrisy and weak opinions is another completely different position. Yoss doesnt need me to stand up for him, but I would rather ban the dull and the pious.

Well that's me (dull) and MtB (pious) gone then :)

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 08:34 PM
The hard decision is explaining why those have been banned under the rules. I Have read them like you kindly asked me too but at any stage Not answered any questions related to the rules and keep skipping over the question. All I see is the easy decision, fire from the hip, put your head in the sand and ban anyone who has upset Goughy.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks Robyn, I agree with you with your 'lack of moderation' writing.

Nothing against your mods personally, I know Courty personally and have played a number of rounds with him. He is a great guy. But we are dealing with a playing the ball, not the man instance.

Exactly. The mods know what I mean in regards to what I wrote. They KNOW they are not always taking action when they should at times but they have friendships and moderating friends is HARD. All the mods are great guys, and even many of the trolls are great guys in person. They just don't carry through on the forum, perhaps they forget that we are all real people on the other side of the screen. It is easier to be a troll on a computer than it is in person.

It is HARD to moderate when you have so many friendships happening and people are being downright mean. In my books, people being intentionally mean are not real friends. Friends deserve to be treated with respect, and if you are not being treated with respect, is that 'friend' really a friend?

The moderators do NOT deserved to be bagged when they make the hard decisions. They are doing a hard job, made even more hard by their friendships.

KristianJ
2nd July 2014, 08:42 PM
For nearly 24 hours I have been been on my phone fielding numerous texts and having discussions with the admin team. It has purely absorbed my day and I can't so it tomorrow because my kids are more important than this.

I am passionate about Ozgolf and that's why I have let it overtake me completely for the last 24 hours. I can't say I'm happy to read a lot of the anti mod sentiment in here. Yes we are a group but amongst us there are a lot of differing opinions.

Same here. Except I don't have any kids.

I love this place. Each of the trips I've been on to Champs have been awesome times of meeting new people and strengthening ties with those I've already met.

There is too much at stake to let emotion run riot. And that counts for everyone...

Ned
2nd July 2014, 08:47 PM
I was going to post that it was good to see some old names here again, such as Briswesty and Moe Norman.

I guess we won't be seeing anymore of Moe.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/02/zarytu2a.jpg

Moe always like to be the "One better" or a "I did it first" kinda guy, guess he has been proven tonight.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 08:48 PM
Shadesy

Why exactly do I need to answer to you? You are making BIG assumptions about my reasons for the bans. You don't know the full story, end of story. I will not be drawn into a discussion about ban reasons. They were not banned because they upset goughy, they were banned because they broke the rules.

Those who are banned are welcome to contact me directly. I do not need to answer to anyone else.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 08:51 PM
Two questions:

Does the infraction system still exist? It has not been followed.

Can we see some examples of ban worthy "trolling"?

Shadesy
2nd July 2014, 08:52 PM
Shadesy Why exactly do I need to answer to you? You are making BIG assumptions about my reasons for the bans. You don't know the full story, end of story. I will not be drawn into a discussion about ban reasons. They were not banned because they upset goughy, they were banned because they broke the rules. Those who are banned are welcome to contact me directly. I do not need to answer to anyone else.

Yeah how dare you communicate with members on a forum.

What ever was I thinking?

The site is clearly yours to do with what you wish.

Good Luck with it.

I'll be back when your interest waivers again and sense returns.

Ned
2nd July 2014, 08:53 PM
Henwah has a lot to answer for after going and getting a life after golf.......... :wink:

WBennett
2nd July 2014, 08:54 PM
Gollfer69 would like to know why he is banned. He cant pm you.

Is there a number he can call or an email address he can use to discuss?

BroKar
2nd July 2014, 08:58 PM
As i said earlier, it seems like a lot of people being overly precious, g69 is a crackup and for him to be banned from a golf forum i find it rather amusing, however i am sure he wont lose any sleep, he has been banned before.

clikchic

Gollfer69 knows why he has been banned. Goughy has discussed it with him. Anyone else who has been banned can email me at clikchicATgmailDOTcom.

I will not be responding to people complaining about the bans if they are not one of the ones banned.

MegaWatty

Is this to me again?

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 09:04 PM
Guys one last post. Please do not blame the mods for ANY of the decisions made tonight by me. There are several who disagree with several of the things I have done today. And that is ok. But enough is enough. This has been tough for a lot of people in a dozen different ways.

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 09:06 PM

The story changes. Brilliant.

Just sayin

No agenda Hux. I think the forum is fine. Reckon it's on the decline and part of that can be attributed to a couple of mods, but for those I know that aren't on here as much, it's more to do with more important things happening in their lives.

WBennett
2nd July 2014, 09:07 PM
Sorry. It was to Watty but Robyn has answered. I did not ask the question in a whining tone, but i enjoy getting spoken down to like a five year old by a moderator...
Richard doesnt know why. I will pass your message to him and let him follow up if he chooses.

BenM
2nd July 2014, 09:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand why one admin would go and start banning people off her own bat particularly if many of the moderation team disagree with those actions? Definitely seems very knee jerk to me.

I told Yoss today on FB that he's one of the biggest bullshit posters on here, I stand by that, but by the same token I don't remember seeing anything particularly offensive from him either.

Seems like either some mods are a bit gutless (letting Clikchik do their dirty work) OR it's all been a bit unilateral.

Doesn't affect me all that much but I think there are plenty of bigger dickheads on here than the ones who are gone.

clikchic
2nd July 2014, 09:18 PM
Sorry. It was to Watty but Robyn has answered. I did not ask the question in a whining tone, but i enjoy getting spoken down to like a five year old by a moderator...
Richard doesnt know why. I will pass your message to him and let him follow up if he chooses.

Point taken and reworded. FWIW I wasn't saying you were whining, I was trying to tell people who are not banned not to bother emailing me to complain because I wont respond. If you are not banned, feel free to PM me if you feel the need.

WBennett
2nd July 2014, 09:20 PM
Goughy and Rich have now spoken.
Rich is genuinely shattered over this decision.

MegaWatty
2nd July 2014, 09:20 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand why one admin would go and start banning people off her own bat particularly if many of the moderation team disagree with those actions? Definitely seems very knee jerk to me.

I told Yoss today on FB that he's one of the biggest bullshit posters on here, I stand by that, but by the same token I don't remember seeing anything particularly offensive from him either.

Seems like either some mods are a bit gutless (letting Clikchik do their dirty work) OR it's all been a bit unilateral.

Doesn't affect me all that much but I think there are plenty of bigger dickheads on here than the ones who are gone.

I like and hate this post.

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 09:22 PM
Guys one last post. Please do not blame the mods for ANY of the decisions made tonight by me. There are several who disagree with several of the things I have done today. And that is ok. But enough is enough. This has been tough for a lot of people in a dozen different ways.

Is this your site to do with as you see fit? it is certainly feeling that way tonight. i hope this is your baby because if it is not you have well and truly damaged it.

Ned
2nd July 2014, 09:22 PM

Of course, you're a Mod....... :wink:

muldude
2nd July 2014, 09:24 PM
Go Yoss !!!!

BenM
2nd July 2014, 09:24 PM

Do you feel like clarifying? I am open to discussion.

Mods shouldn't feel bad about chipping their friends for bad forum behaviour. If they're real friends they'll be able to speak about it honestly.

If they feel they need to let someone else step in because they can't do it then it might be time to reassess the friendship.

Ned
2nd July 2014, 09:25 PM
Go Yoss !!!!

Late as usual........

MegaWatty
2nd July 2014, 09:36 PM
Do you feel like clarifying? I am open to discussion.

Mods shouldn't feel bad about chipping their friends for bad forum behaviour. If they're real friends they'll be able to speak about it honestly.

If they feel they need to let someone else step in because they can't do it then it might be time to reassess the friendship.

I had a whole post types out and deleted it. However let me go on the record that I tried to stand up against the bannings. I was also against the down time. Now saying that, there were numerous mods that agreed with one or both of those sentiments. At the end of the day though it's not our site and we don't have the final decision.

It was agreed that infractions were to be discussed amongst the mod team so in theory we never have to discipline our mates. I have reported my mates for the other mods to discuss and act on accordingly (I have probably just lost a heap of OG mates).

It's not about having balls. It's about what you guys don't see.

I hope that's fairly diplomatic, otherwise I guess I'll see you as an average punter on Ozgolf at some stage tomorrow. :-/

matty
2nd July 2014, 09:38 PM

I'll be there. 39! Enjoy the next 15 months. It's all downhill from there. :)

jimandr
2nd July 2014, 09:40 PM
There seems to be a lot of upset people posting in this thread tonight. A lot of the things being said should have been communicated via PM to particular people rather than broadcast for all to see.

Go to another forum, or even better, start your own if you aren't happy. I won't miss you. I certainly won't miss Yossarian.

Dotty
2nd July 2014, 09:42 PM
Me, me, me. That's all you ever think about. ;)

Oh yeah. Weekends are 75% chance I can make it. Weekdays are 100%.

BenM
2nd July 2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks Mega.

I realise there's a lot we're not privy to. And I think it's a good policy to try and let someone else handle moderation of your mates if you feel you can't be impartial. However it seems like that system has been broken for some time if it's got to the point where people shut the forum down and the hand out bannings seemingly out of the blue.

Is it the users' fault that the system has been broken, and have some people been dealt with unnecessarily harshly as a result? I would answer no, and it sure seems that way from the outside.

I feel a bit dirty standing up for Yoss as I find his constant dribbling annoying. But I would use the ignore function if it became bad enough to make me want to leave. But it seems all the bans have happened due to back stories that few of us know.

I'm just an average pleb here and I know my contribution is small. But I think decisions have been made very hastily and would ask that you all reconsider - I won't pull my skirt over my head and leave over it but the forum does need at least a little colour from time to time.

Collis
2nd July 2014, 09:52 PM
My understanding was that the infractions were on a point system? Have they obtained any points or warnings or were they just banned.

If they have obtained the points for a lifetime ban they have no one to blame but themselves. (Think it's 15 points)
But if they haven't been giving the infractions shouldn't they be treated within the rules we are ment to adhere too?

coalesce
2nd July 2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks Mega.

I realise there's a lot we're not privy to. And I think it's a good policy to try and let someone else handle moderation of your mates if you feel you can't be impartial. However it seems like that system has been broken for some time if it's got to the point where people shut the forum down and the hand out bannings seemingly out of the blue.

Is it the users' fault that the system has been broken, and have some people been dealt with unnecessarily harshly as a result? I would answer no, and it sure seems that way from the outside.

I feel a bit dirty standing up for Yoss as I find his constant dribbling annoying. But I would use the ignore function if it became bad enough to make me want to leave. But it seems all the bans have happened due to back stories that few of us know.

I'm just an average pleb here and I know my contribution is small. But I think decisions have been made very hastily and would ask that you all reconsider - I won't pull my skirt over my head and leave over it but the forum does need at least a little colour from time to time.

I keep typing and deleting stuff but there's a lot of what I was going to say in this.

Johnny Canuck
2nd July 2014, 09:58 PM
My understanding was that the infractions were on a point system? Have they obtained any points or warnings or were they just banned.

If they have obtained the points for a lifetime ban they have no one to blame but themselves. (Think it's 15 points)
But if they haven't been giving the infractions shouldn't they be treated within the rules we are ment to adhere too?

I tried asking that but it was ignored. Maybe you will have more luck than I.

I am curious about the posts that lead to the banning.

Jimandjr, great that you have posted your opinion. The odds are now about 57-2.

Collis
2nd July 2014, 10:03 PM
I tried asking that but it was ignored. Maybe you will have more luck than I.

I am curious about the posts that lead to the banning.

I just think that if they were banned and not warned it seems unfair.
Would putting the banned people on a final chance be an option?

mike
2nd July 2014, 10:07 PM
I certainly won't miss Yossarian.I will.

golfbound
2nd July 2014, 10:09 PM
I stil dont understand why it was shut down...... Why wouldn't you just use the infration point system you developed to fix the problem, Why punish those that have stuck by the forum for years and done nothing wrong????

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 10:09 PM

I will.

58-2

Ashes
2nd July 2014, 10:11 PM
I stil dont understand why it was shut down...... Why wouldn't you just use the infration point system you developed to fix the problem, Why punish those that have stuck by the forum for years and done nothing wrong????

Exactly. Debacle.

simmsy
2nd July 2014, 10:17 PM
+1

Dotty
2nd July 2014, 10:55 PM
The Harbour Tunnel was closed during morning peak hour last month, because someone rolled a car. 200,000+ people were inconvenienced.

I took the tunnel on the weekend and I got to where I wanted to go.

Life goes on. (Nor was I worried where the rolled car and driver ended up.)

jimandr
2nd July 2014, 11:12 PM
The Harbour Tunnel was closed during morning peak hour last month, because someone rolled a car. 200,000+ people were inconvenienced.

I took the tunnel on the weekend and I got to where I wanted to go.

Life goes on. (Nor was I worried where the rolled car and driver ended up.)

But didn't you declare that you'd never vote for this government again.

I lost count of the number of times people said that to me when they were complaining about how disgraceful the train service was.

Can someone post a picture of a storm in a teacup.

I think we all need to go play some golf and then whinge about how unfair the game is.

markTHEblake
2nd July 2014, 11:54 PM
Lager lover appears to be missing?

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2014, 12:12 AM
What are the chances that Shorty contacted his ISP when he couldn't log on to OzGolf?

henno
3rd July 2014, 04:11 AM
Henwah has a lot to answer for after going and getting a life after golf.......... :wink:

Remember when golf was about more than just hitting a white ball into a hole? It used to be about forming friendships, lighthearted banter and general shit-talk... and narwhals.

What happened, Ozgolf. You used to be cool.

Ferrins
3rd July 2014, 04:12 AM

ddasey
3rd July 2014, 05:08 AM
Remember when golf was about more than just hitting a white ball into a hole? It used to be about forming friendships, lighthearted banter and general shit-talk... and narwhals.

What happened, Ozgolf. You used to be cool.

What if you use a yellow ball 😄

Steve57
3rd July 2014, 06:00 AM
I will.
So will I!

Ferrins
3rd July 2014, 06:16 AM
I have played golf on more than one occasion with Jaybam, Moe Norman and Golfer69. I enjoyed the games and found them good company.

sms316
3rd July 2014, 06:17 AM
Even the courts release details of why someone is imprisoned.

Dotty
3rd July 2014, 06:31 AM
But didn't you declare that you'd never vote for this government again.

Maybe 30 years ago. Then I discovered the power of indifference.

ps. I don't drive in peak hour and only use the tunnel, when it is convenient for me. (Much the same as this place.)

Ashes
3rd July 2014, 06:53 AM
Even the courts release details of why someone is imprisoned.

Said individuals are also presented with the evidence against them and offered an opportunity to defend themselves.

Webster
3rd July 2014, 06:56 AM
You guys are confusing Ozgolf with a democracy.

henno
3rd July 2014, 06:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Qpjw9Yk.gif

I have quite literally had no involvement nor made any comment on all of this, but in the interests of transparency and to inject a little bit of reason (mixed in with a lot of waffling) I'm posting my communication with the rest of the moderation team:

Hi team. I guess my "twice weekly" check of Ozgolf really missed a lot this time.

I'll preface this by saying that I have nothing but love for Ozgolf and consider many of the members (and mods) people I would call friends for life, and expect them to be just that. In fact, the real reason I am not around as much these days can still be directly attributed to Ozgolf anyway: PeteyD lured me away to play Gridiron and that has taken up much of my time since.

I'll start off by saying one thing: I think this has become far too emotionally driven. Whether that is right or wrong is a topic for another discussion; emotion is something we are entitled to. That said, I would like to inject a little good emotion into this discussion and point out a few things about me and my time at Ozgolf.

When I first picked up a club and pretended I could swing it at some while ball on the ground, I went searching for a place to talk golf (read: "talk shit") and I invariably landed on ISG. I found that forum far too boring, far too full of newbies with no idea (of which I was one - the irony is not lost on me - but I was looking for guidance, not a newbie circlejerk) and ultimately I landed on Ozgolf. I liked the place from the beginning. Jarro was the first person I met on the forum; I met him in the carpark at Nudgee to buy a golf bag from him. He seemed like a such a genuinely nice guy, asked about my gear, my game, gave a few tips about the forum and convinced me to show up at a few Ozgolf games despite my complete lack of talent. We talked shit next to the 18th green for ten minutes when he could of just taken my money and nicked off.

Soon after, and as a result of that meeting, I attended my first Ozgolf day: the Nudgee Plate. I topped the ball twice in a row on the first tee and was given hell for it. But in the right way. It burned, but was funny, and I can appreciate the hilarity of the moment despite the initial pangs of embarrassment in front of a huge Ozgolf horde. Which brings me to my next point.

That moment at Nudgee is a good analogy for Ozgolf in general and how I always saw the place. I can understand how it can seem a little daunting and 'matey' initially, but that is really part of its charm. If you f**k up (like I did) there is laughter, there are nicknames, there are jokes made, but you are invited to laugh at yourself in that moment. It's endearing, much like two brothers that are constantly and superficially at each other but deep down would never be apart. The one thing that sets Ozgolf apart from the others is that most of the members on here either know each other, or are invited to know each other. When I was last in Cairns, people drove from all over to catch up for a beer, I've even helped Moe move house (twice, I think!), I've been given unimaginable support in my darkest days and at one point was even offered a free car to use when I was without one for a few months. Some of these acts of kindness came from those "trolls" on the forum who have been unceremoniously ousted.

More recently, I caught up with a bunch of top blokes in Perth last year for a social whack at Kwinana. I had never met any of them officially in person, but they drove over an hour to pick me up, talked shit and played golf with me all day, even bought me a beer, and then drove me all the way home. This is what Ozgolf is about. What makes this particular instance stand out is that the thread I posted reads like a list of the recently exiled:http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php...oming-to-Perth (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/33751-Henno-s-coming-to-Perth)

Somewhere along the lines I was asked to become a mod. I don't know why but think this was more due to the fact that I was already reporting dozens of posts per day anyway (spam, mainly) and most people (read: AndyP) knew that my bark was far worse than my bite. If I called you a dickhead it was because I also called you a mate. The Hennocopter and Henwah monikers are evidence of the same sort of thing dished out over the years. That said, I need to put my hand up as one of the original "trolls", for want of a better word. I was the original Threadjacker. It was funny, for a moment. I posted narwhals in response to stupid posts. That was funny, for a moment. When it stopped being funny, it was kicked to its own thread and there it stayed. No one was harmed, everyone had a laugh.

So get to the point henno.

Well, all of that is what's missing lately: the awareness on both sides as to when something is either funny and lighthearted... or isn't. I think everyone has it wrong. Far too many people are stringing out jokes and light-hearted insults until they are no longer jokes nor light-hearted. In response, the actions the mods have been (at times) over-bearing having acted on requests from the over-sensitivity of some members. This has created an ocean of misunderstanding and over-reaction and it has been cringe-worthy to witness. This latest brouhaha is complete evidence of that.

And I don't want to be a part of it.

I think it's safe to say I haven't exactly been putting the "mod" into moderator of late anyway so this will carry very little weight, but I think it's only fitting that I am removed from the Ozgolf moderation team. The latest upheaval that has taken place has been a storm in a tea-cup and a gross over-reaction in my view... but my view doesn't matter really. I'd much prefer to simply step back and start posting as just "henno" again and not have to worry about being a walking contradiction to the moderation team.

To quote Groucho Marx: "Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

Peace, love and narwhals.
Henno.

simmsy
3rd July 2014, 07:01 AM
I think someone here has confused OzGolf golfing Community as their own little plaything and forgot to ask the owner if they could play with said toy. The toy is broken now.

matty
3rd July 2014, 07:02 AM
Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on which side of the fence you're on) the reality of the situation is that the situation is not comparable to law courts. The site is owned by one person who can control all. That is their prerogative. There is really no use whinging about it.

Members (glorified guests) can like it or lump it. Whether the site will chugs along, deteriorates, dies, or thrives, remains to be seen.

3oneday
3rd July 2014, 07:12 AM
You're still red Henno.

I'd suggest everyone swaps numbers etc shortly, I can't see it lasting.

The person in charge is holding ground, there are 9 pages of explain this and explain that and it's simply going round in circles. If this is no longer the place to arrange games, sell stuff and talk shit as Henno says, someone tell me where it is and we can meet up there.

The vehicle that it is done in isn't what's important, they'll be lifelong friends where ever the next conversation ends up.

Ferrins
3rd July 2014, 07:17 AM
I've got Daves number if anyone wants it:)