PDA

View Full Version : Tablet for travel. Tablet suggestions generally. Apple can suck my fat wang.

Yossarian
28th June 2014, 12:12 PM
Looking at maybe grabbing a tablet for our trip. What are the advantages over a small laptop?

Any suggestions for best tablet deals?

Cheers

Captain Nemo
28th June 2014, 12:21 PM
Can't beat the iPad if your an apple person....

Yossarian
28th June 2014, 12:22 PM
Yes you can. But thanks.

Ok. I see now advantages of tablet.

Captain Nemo
28th June 2014, 12:23 PM
Ok get something else?

MegaWatty
28th June 2014, 12:24 PM
Battery life. Ease of use. Possible cost. Smaller charger. PM me.

Yossarian
28th June 2014, 12:27 PM
Ok get something else?

Thanks. Seriously.

Battery life. Ease of use. Possible cost. Smaller charger. PM me.

I will, need to do some reading first and then go get drunk so the PM could include co(k shots.

MegaWatty
28th June 2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks. Seriously.

I will, need to do some reading first and then go get drunk so the PM could include co(k shots.

Any new ones?

BUSHY
28th June 2014, 12:28 PM
Is it only for travelling? I have both an iPad and a MacBook Air. I use the air predominantly for my uni assignments, the iPad I use for everything else. Depending on what you'll use it for when you get back I think you'll get more use out of the iPad.

Yossarian
28th June 2014, 12:29 PM
Any new ones?

If I can find a heated room.

Bushy I am not really sure. Probably just travel.

Captain Nemo
28th June 2014, 12:30 PM
I've only got apple shit, so that's all I know.
iMac, iPhones, and 2 iPads.
Great for syncing shit like photos etc to iCloud so will save you some memory space.
Built in cameras that are very good is a bonus.
Syncing calendars etc to other apple devices a piece of piss.
Your welcome.

MegaWatty
28th June 2014, 12:33 PM
Great for syncing shit like photos etc to iCloud so will save you some memory space.
Your welcome.

I also use an iPad and iPhone but those same things can be done through android.

I don't subscribe to the OS X love but do own 2 amongst my eclectic bundle of computers.

Yossarian
28th June 2014, 12:36 PM
Your welcome.

Spelling and grammar check clearly aren't great on apples.

BUSHY
28th June 2014, 12:42 PM
Your welcome.

He speaks the truth. I am at the end of my android experiment and won't be going back. As a matter of fact I've ditched my new galaxy phone to go back to an iPhone 4.

If you don't need the word processing, excel et al then definitely go a tablet. Only thing is suggest is dont skimp on storage. 32gb as a minimum.

Captain Nemo
28th June 2014, 12:54 PM
Spelling and grammar check clearly aren't great on apples.
I turned it off, that's how I roll.

Courty
28th June 2014, 01:05 PM
I know it's a personal opinion thing, but I'd prefer a lightweight laptop (netbook even) to a tablet.

We're going OS (no, not L.A.) later this year and I'll be taking the Macbook Air & leaving the iPad at home.

I don't know much about them but I believe Chromebooks are pretty cheap?

Yossarian
28th June 2014, 01:09 PM
I turned it off, that's how I roll.

Illiterately?

MegaWatty
28th June 2014, 01:09 PM
I know it's a personal opinion thing, but I'd prefer a lightweight laptop (netbook even) to a tablet.

We're going OS (no, not L.A.) later this year and I'll be taking the Macbook Air & leaving the iPad at home.

Chromebooks suck so hard.

Yossarian
28th June 2014, 01:10 PM

Hmm.

goughy
28th June 2014, 02:29 PM
Yep, depends on which eco system you are in. I'm loath to move out of one, because you spend money in it, and then it's just wasted. Then depends on how much you have to spend.

If travelling, and ipad mini, either, but if you can afford it go the retina, mostly for the newer/faster internals.
Android, I love my nexus 7. Maybe galaxy tab 4, and the newer Tab S if it's out. The lg g pads look nice. Myself, around the 8" size is the ideal tablet, especially if travelling.

Cases, my personal favourite is the Poetic brand, strapback model. A good balance of protection, not too thick. Really good multi-angle stand ability that doesn't fall over. I've convinced several to get them, even clikchic got one for her ipad and loves it.

Shortylook
28th June 2014, 03:29 PM
I'm all apple stuff too, but I did start off with an android tablet, gave it to a work mate and he gave it back to me, so I told him to give it to the good Sammy's. It was a long time ago and they my be heaps better now, but I didn't like it one bit. I think it was an acer

3Puttpete
28th June 2014, 04:26 PM
Yoss, what do you want to do with it? Email, bit of google while you're travelling or do you need it to do something a bit more complicated than that?

sms316
28th June 2014, 05:07 PM
Get a tablet with Telegram installed.

markTHEblake
28th June 2014, 07:12 PM
For travelling I suggest a smart phone. Every time I have taken an tablet or laptop I rarely used it, so not worth lugging about. Instead take a coupe of portable battery chargers.

LarryLong
28th June 2014, 08:16 PM
If I was travelling alone I would only take a small laptop and a smartphone. You can do everything you can do with a tablet on your phone, and if you want to do big screen stuff, a laptop is more useful and the wight difference is pretty small if you buy an ultrabook or something similar.

However, I always travel with a kid, so that means I also bring along an android tablet. Apple can blow me too. They're great for games, and I guess they would also be better for higher resolution snapchat pics if that's a requirement. I can't see the advantage of an iPad over an android tablet, especially when you can usually find obscure android models that are quite fine for the fraction of the price. I bought a 10 inch toshiba one a year or two ago for about $200 and my kid flogs it daily. It's a piece of piss to use, which makes me wonder what the selling point for apple is these days. I'd recommend toshiba. They make good stuff.

MegaWatty
28th June 2014, 08:31 PM
The problem is the cost of an Ultrabook or MB Air vs a basic Android tablet.

Xray
5th July 2014, 08:35 AM
Surface Pro 2, not sure if the 3 is out in au yet.

Courty
5th July 2014, 01:24 PM
Surface Pro 2, not sure if the 3 is out in au yet.

Really? People bought those? :shock:

Xray
5th July 2014, 01:26 PM
excellent piece of kit.

Courty
5th July 2014, 01:29 PM
excellent piece of kit.

Fair enough. I've just never, ever seen one outside of JB Hifi.

Xray
5th July 2014, 01:31 PM
Lol

MegaWatty
5th July 2014, 01:44 PM

LarryLong
5th July 2014, 02:23 PM
I would buy a surface if it fit my budget. Looks like a good device. I bought my wife a windows phone a year or two ago and it is great - really easy to use.

Hamo84
7th July 2014, 11:08 AM
Fair enough. I've just never, ever seen one outside of JB Hifi.

lol courty, I have the original Surface and the only issue i have is battery life...

Seriously though its all about what you need it for

I have an ipad as well but only use it for social media, youtube or for some specific apple apps. good to take on a long plane flight or train trip where you want to keep yourself entertained. Also having it synced with my iphone for emails is a bonus also!!

I actually use the surface more so for my study/ netball club and for work. It has the full version of microsoft office loaded on it which I use extensively across all of my commitments. Having the USB connection means I can just plug my portable harddrive and transfer files as need be. It works for me!!

Hamo84
7th July 2014, 11:10 AM
I would buy a surface if it fit my budget. Looks like a good device. I bought my wife a windows phone a year or two ago and it is great - really easy to use.

+1

Having the standard windows desktop plus the windows 8 menu is very user friendly.

One suggestion though, It is worth paying the extra and upgrading the keyboard to the more durable button keyboard instead of the flimsy touch pad style keyboard they give you.

Hidepenny
7th July 2014, 11:17 AM
I have played with the new tab 10 inch. I think its awesome that its also a phone

Captain Nemo
7th July 2014, 11:18 AM
This bought yet Yoss?

Johnny Canuck
7th July 2014, 11:43 AM
This bought yet Yoss?

Nice trolling.

Good timing on your part.

Captain Nemo
7th July 2014, 11:50 AM
Legitimate question, wanted to know what he went with?

3oneday
7th July 2014, 11:59 AM
Find the name Yossarian, you might notice a word under this that prevents his reply.

Captain Nemo
7th July 2014, 12:01 PM
meh....
Ok others, whats the verdict, what seems to be the best product?

Johnny Canuck
7th July 2014, 12:29 PM
Legitimate question, wanted to know what he went with?

He was one of Clicchik's victims.

G69 and Moe also left us.

Just bringing you up to speed.

Captain Nemo
7th July 2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks JC, as said in other threads I was offline when the shit hit the fan...
I have since somewhat been updated.

henno
7th July 2014, 01:32 PM
I have had two Nexus 7's now - both versions. For $250 it is a brilliant machine. After a brief affair with a larger 10" tablet, I am sold on the 7" format for my needs.

Captain Nemo
7th July 2014, 01:54 PM
They get a good review...
http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/new-nexus-7-1169802/review

CobraSS
7th July 2014, 08:26 PM
I have a Surface 2 (non Pro) and love it, Surface Pro 3 out in a couple of months.