PDA

View Full Version : Interactive viewing of Golf matches (televised / stream)- what would u be keen to see

s12raider
24th June 2014, 05:38 PM
Watching golf on tv is 'great' sometimes and there are Apps out there that perform near-realtime analysis, but I'd like to capture some ideas / thoughts from our little community that i can feed into some research I'm working with for my company whom are working on global initiatives this year. I can't say anything yet but I'm wanting to develop (enhance) an app that we are prototyping and need some other non-techie people ideas.

Happy to just let the imagination run wild...

Stu

3Puttpete
24th June 2014, 05:49 PM
What's the question?

s12raider
24th June 2014, 06:02 PM
What's the question?I'd like to capture some ideas / thoughts from our little community that i can feed into some research I'm working with for my company whom are working on global initiatives this year.

If you had or use a smart phone for golf viewing of, say Masters, or any televised golf, what would you want to see?
All drives, all putts, swing speed, smash factor etc. Per round, consolidated for each round, eg: Hole 4 450m, drive 285m left side (round 1); drive 300m left side (round2) etc. Would you want to replay / slow down the swing to view it all the while using an app?

That's what I'm after - think of this like a brainstorming session. I'm just trying to get our overseas development team to not just provide the same old stuff. Course layout, player name/profile; averg dirving distance etc; score card -I want it to be able to have a lot more than this.

If it helps - baseball was very boring until stat analysis on tv came along and then it took off. Just trying to give us punters something.

MegaWatty
24th June 2014, 06:31 PM
To be able to watch it in Australia without using a VPN would help to start with!

markTHEblake
24th June 2014, 06:36 PM
Caddies talking shit.

coalesce
24th June 2014, 07:54 PM
Wag pictures

s12raider
24th June 2014, 09:56 PM
Wag pictures- so the Sept 2015 Solhiem Cup you'd be keen on then? <grin> - quite easy to do this via a link off players profile but I'm guessing you want a link to a web cam (or several)......

I like the caddies idea - might think a bit on how to get their 'viewpoint' across.

VPN - yeah this could be tricky so I'll ask how we are proposing to work this in - I would assume at this stage they'd be some 'cost/fee' charge but perhaps not if only using less than x% of video coverage. That's a good one for me to ask so I'll claim that :-)

thanks

simmsy
24th June 2014, 10:05 PM
The use of shot tracker more often.

Captain Nemo
25th June 2014, 08:50 AM
The use of shot tracker more often.
+1, should be on every tee imo.

Daves
25th June 2014, 08:56 AM
Caddies talking shit.

It would also be good to get more Caddies' Eyes view of things, or even the On-Course Commentators' or Spectators' views, rather than just the standard camera positions we seem to get. That is outside the brief here I guess, but things that make you feel like you are there and in good viewing positions would add to the coverage for me.

BGH
25th June 2014, 10:10 AM
Already mentioned but

- Pro tracer + putt line predictor available for all shots
- Player caddy conversation before shots
- Trackman like stats available for all shots

Coldtopper
25th June 2014, 10:37 AM
Some conversations are better left inside the ropes IMO. I dont think we really want to know what some caddies are saying or thinking. Not all btw. It would need to be costed into the production costs to translate and bleep out so many words. If you have ever heard Colin Byrne as an example speak (and he is a great bag man) you will understand!

s12raider
25th June 2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys, some of the ideas are great and perhaps beyond control of app however we can mention this to tournament organisers (and the myriad of parties involved).

I did think the perspective of caddie was / is good idea however it is (or can be) deemed intrusive and is a private exchange between two persons so may not get up. That said if could somehow get some info then would need to figure out what is minimum needed to make it 'worthwhile' otherwise will be considered a waste of time.

Re trac-man and shot-tracker / pro-tracer on every tee. Agree. This would (should) be standard now for all tournaments - again we can mention this and hopefully someone higher up is able to push this - given we sponsor a few things hopefully as a PoC we could 'fund it' for one tournament. Trac-man I know we are working with and I'm waiting on more info on this. Shot-tracker should be similar however not sure if we have engaged with their team.

I'd love to see all shots stats not mere distance however gps on ball or similar tech I am not certain of is available without being intrusive.

Other cameras - again likely issues abound here due to licensing, broadcast rights etc. For those tournaments where cameras are allowed perhaps a person (audience members in gallery) who is following a player can attach a 'link' to a video(s) they took. This is uploaded, we then 'edit' the video (normal process to remove any offensive info, but also slow (super slow down) down the video to show swing etc) if this can be near real-time great result. Human time to work the edit process is where near real-time becomes slower.

Keep these coming - I don't profess that all or even 1 of these will get up but as I'm speaking with team exec next week I can start to talk on this. will keep posted as 3rd Qtr we are PoC at one tournament (as I understand currently though could change )