PDA

View Full Version : Club weight

Hidepenny
23rd June 2014, 07:38 PM
Just received a stock 913f, and by comparing it with my 910d3, it's significantly heavier, in spite of a shorter shaft and smaller head.

I can swing it just as fast but I can feel the club pulling me in the arms after the down swing, and in contrast the 910d3 feels like I'm swinging some feather and my body just rotates on its own and my arms get plenty of chances to catch up (harder to sync) in other words it doesn't feel as powerful.

So it begs the question, how do you determine the balance of weight without losing stability and power?

It almost feels to me the heavier the club the easier it is to hit.

Anfield
23rd June 2014, 07:56 PM
Cue 2 or 3 stupid replies from idiots then 1 or 2 very sensible well informed opinions followed by 3-6 stupid comments. ....

3Puttpete
23rd June 2014, 08:03 PM
I prefer them lighter. It's not often I go to fat club and think "I'd hit that"

chappy1970
23rd June 2014, 09:24 PM
Hidepenny there is no hard and fast rule, this is entirely subjective and relative to everyone's personal preference.
Generally most 3wd shafts will be slightly heavier than there counterpart in the driver, but if you are feeling a noticeable difference, the head might have lighter weights and the 3wd heavier. Are the 3wd and driver shafts from the same manufacturer/series?

Perhaps the shorter heavier club has introduced a slight swing variance from the swing you put on the driver.

I don't think there is a simple answer to your query.

Hidepenny
23rd June 2014, 09:58 PM
Hidepenny there is no hard and fast rule, this is entirely subjective and relative to everyone's personal preference.
Generally most 3wd shafts will be slightly heavier than there counterpart in the driver, but if you are feeling a noticeable difference, the head might have lighter weights and the 3wd heavier. Are the 3wd and driver shafts from the same manufacturer/series?

Perhaps the shorter heavier club has introduced a slight swing variance from the swing you put on the driver.

I don't think there is a simple answer to your query.

They are totally different brand makes and models....

I'm just thinking in general that a heavier hammer will almost always give you more down force, so should we always get the heaviest club within our physical abilities to gain most efficient power transfer?

Not sure if the adapters are the same between 910 and 913, it'd be nice as an experiment tho swap the heads around and see what it's like.

Gw 86
23rd June 2014, 10:42 PM
Negative on the adaptors mate

3oneday
23rd June 2014, 10:46 PM
Yeah, fairways don't work 910 to 913 but drivers do. Weird.

Could also be the grip size, sometimes a thicker grip "feels" better balanced.

Hidepenny
24th June 2014, 06:51 AM
Darn....speaking of balance, whats a counter balanced shaft? The avxicore red apparently is just that.....

Daves
24th June 2014, 07:50 AM
You say it is a significant weight difference, but exactly how much are we talking? Typically it can be 20 grams or so, but that is mostly driven by the weight of the shafts (60/70g driver, 70/80g 3 wood). Put a Nunchuk in the Driver and you will reverse the weight difference, and it is counterbalanced. And it needs to be to balance the heft you have added (104grams vs 60/70).

Hidepenny
24th June 2014, 12:32 PM
by significant weight difference I mean just weighing it by hand....the shaft in the driver is 69g whereas the shaft in the wood is 82g....