PDA

View Full Version : The yips! What's worked for you??

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2014, 06:21 PM
So I have the yips. Have done for 12 years of playing. I seriously need to fix this.

Now has anyone done a drill or routine that has helped??

I'm not talking technique at all. I'm talking about the spasm in the hands over short putts that comes from the mental side of things.

I've tried closing my eyes over the ball and the like. But I can't seem to stop. Long putter hasn't helped.

Thanks all

goughy
23rd June 2014, 06:23 PM
Eagles and hole in ones!

Lagerlover
23rd June 2014, 06:25 PM
Hit up your mates to borrow their putters for an afternoon on the putting green...find the style you're most comfortable with and go from there.

I went away from the mallet, eventually came back after years of misery.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2014, 06:29 PM
I have a putter that was built for me. I love it! I just can't make the stroke smooth from under 6ft

davepuppies
23rd June 2014, 06:31 PM
I am prone to opening the hands on short putts, only thing that works for me is to commit to stroke and make a solid follow through, not decelerate.

I need to see the ball hitting the back of the cup, not steering it in with my hands

Croydo
23rd June 2014, 06:35 PM
Have you tried a thicker putter grip like a superstroke?

Lagerlover
23rd June 2014, 06:35 PM
I have a putter that was built for me. I love it! I just can't make the stroke smooth from under 6ft

I realise I shouldn't be giving advice, but I was given a tip from someone on here that helped me immensely..
never take the putter past your feet, and always follow through.

3oneday
23rd June 2014, 06:40 PM
Practice putting is useless for yippers, because when you get on the course in comp it all changes. Practice this grip and that grip all you like, it won't matter.

Find a grip that doesn't allow the right hand to shove and stick with it. It's either a DiMarco or a Sergio or even Mickelson now http://www.golfchannel.com/media/school-golf-mickelsons-claw-grip/

It's all that's left :)

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2014, 06:42 PM
Practice putting is useless for yippers, because when you get on the course in comp it all changes. Practice this grip and that grip all you like, it won't matter.

Find a grip that doesn't allow the right hand to shove and stick with it. It's either a DiMarco or a Sergio or even Mickelson now http://www.golfchannel.com/media/school-golf-mickelsons-claw-grip/

It's all that's left :)

Very true. It's all good in practice. But on course I'm a mess!!

I'll have a look at the grips!

Jackson
23rd June 2014, 06:46 PM
I have heard a few interesting Jim Waldron talks and interviews on the yips, the best being on the "golfsmarter" podcast. He has a heap of fixes and claims to be the authority on the subject.

Courty
23rd June 2014, 06:47 PM
Dunno if it helps with the yips, but a general putting tip I got many years ago that works for me is this: lock the angle of the left wrist and make the stroke by rocking the shoulders (arms, elbows, wrists etc. don't move).

3oneday
23rd June 2014, 06:49 PM
Interestingly, I can use a normal grip when the greens are not fast, but seem to revert to it when greens are at their peak in winter.

Coldtopper
23rd June 2014, 06:51 PM
Work out what hand breaks down in the action (mostly right for right handers) then work on methods to change your grip that eliminates the chance of this hand breaking down in the stroke ie the claw grip or just google a few grips and have a go. If unsuccessful putt left handed and try not to stutter.

aussieashley
23rd June 2014, 06:53 PM
I've got them too. Some days I can hole all the short putts, other days I can miss the hole completely on 2 foot putts.
I've still got them and I'm definitely not qualified to give advice (but I will anyway :) ).
I think on my better days I grip the putter nice and relaxed, someone told me once like you'd hold a tube of toothpaste without squeezing any out. And commit to the line of the putt and concentrate on the line.
I've been told don't give away the hole and just whack it in to the back of the cup, but I can't get that working without being scared of knocking it 3 feet past and missing the one coming back.

3oneday
23rd June 2014, 07:00 PM
True, the lighter the grip the better, almost so that someone should be able to pull the putter out of your hands with no resistance.

oldracer
23rd June 2014, 07:10 PM
3 pots to start the round and a stubby every other hole :roll:

3Puttpete
23rd June 2014, 07:15 PM
Very true. It's all good in practice. But on course I'm a mess!!

I'll have a look at the grips!

How do you putt on the practice green?

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2014, 07:15 PM
I find the light grip flimsy. My right hand breaks down completely with a jerky action usually pushing it to the right.

I've tried cross handed, claw and the broomy. Very frustrating for my game. Maybe I should try left handed for a change.

Struggle street!

Steve
23rd June 2014, 07:16 PM
Put one handed

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2014, 07:17 PM
How do you putt on the practice green?

I'm not a great putter generally. But I make a lot more putts on the practice green than on the course. It's funny because the slightest pressure on me to make a putt, even at mini golf, and the yips are there

live4golf
23rd June 2014, 07:20 PM
I could have shown you on the weekend if I knew :)

I went through this sort of thing a few times and everytime I try this silly 'move'...I putt off my back foot (ball in line with my big toe) and my left foot is behind my right foot but pointing at the hole, like this:

It is silly, works for me. Your weight is 75% on the back foot.

3oneday
23rd June 2014, 07:21 PM
I wrap my forefinger over the shaft, rude finger touching the shaft and the thumb underneath, primarily putting with the left hand only with the right doing very little at all. Have done consistently for about 3 years. Occasionally change, but not for long.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2014, 07:22 PM
I'll give it a go live! 14 greens and 38 putts. Got to do something!

3Puttpete
23rd June 2014, 07:22 PM
I'm not a great putter generally. But I make a lot more putts on the practice green than on the course. It's funny because the slightest pressure on me to make a putt, even at mini golf, and the yips are there

So it's not a putter, grip or grip problems a much as a head problem?

Note: I miss putts because I'm crap, not because I'm scared.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2014, 07:23 PM
100% in the mind. The problem is how do you solve the mind issue??

3Puttpete
23rd June 2014, 07:23 PM

Can't help you there. I'm an idiot.

Buzz
23rd June 2014, 07:28 PM
You know it is interesting, I don't mean this to be a hijack, but it is related ... I kinda have the yips tee to green, rather than putting, insofar as I find it increasingly hard to watch the ball. Because I have never been a big hitter I have a poor technique and I try to hit it too hard, and often take my eyes off the ball and top it. Sometimes no matter how many times pre shot I tell myself to do nothing else but watch the ball, as I start the downswing something takes over, I thrash at it, and it results in a poor shot. Realistically it is the same issue as the putting yips ... like you say, you can make the practice putts, but then out on the course ...

I wish I had the answer ... other than I think boiling it down to a single thought, right or wrong, and just focusing on that until the confidence comes back. I don't think technique tips are going to help here Matt 3 Jab ... it is solely a mental issue.

aussieashley
23rd June 2014, 07:30 PM

Bob Rotella books?

backintheswing
23rd June 2014, 07:31 PM
Can't help you there. I'm an idiot.

You're a funny bastard.

Dcanto
23rd June 2014, 07:35 PM
100% in the mind. The problem is how do you solve the mind issue?? I tip I was once given is to stop thinking about the result and think about the process. This mindset is designed to take the focus off of worrying about missing the putt and just concentrating and making a solid stroke. If the process is sound then there's a good chance that you will get the right result.

Courty
23rd June 2014, 07:39 PM
You know it is interesting, I don't mean this to be a hijack, but it is related ... I kinda have the yips tee to green, rather than putting, insofar as I find it increasingly hard to watch the ball. Because I have never been a big hitter I have a poor technique and I try to hit it too hard, and often take my eyes off the ball and top it. Sometimes no matter how many times pre shot I tell myself to do nothing else but watch the ball, as I start the downswing something takes over, I thrash at it, and it results in a poor shot. Realistically it is the same issue as the putting yips ... like you say, you can make the practice putts, but then out on the course ...

Off topic for a moment to address Buzz's problem. Have you ever considered that the reason you can't see the ball at impact is because you physically can't with your swing? I haven't seen you hit a ball, but at times I have a similar issue which is due to my posture collapsing/ breaking down. If I concentrate on my posture it all falls back into place. If you want to continue the conversation, maybe start another thread and leave this one to the crap putters. ;)

Lagerlover
23rd June 2014, 07:39 PM
Keep your head down and wait for the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup, or the course staff asking you to leave...

whichever comes first.

Buzz
23rd June 2014, 07:44 PM
Courty - understand what you are saying (and not to say I don't have swing flaws!), but 99% sure its a mental issue which is why I raised it here, because I think its essentially the same issue as the putting yips. Isn't the definition of the yips the harder you try the worse it gets?

On the topic, whether putting or not, the other issue with practice vs out on the course is that "the course" part is four hours long. Matt ... do you find it gets worse as the day goes on? I ask because I often find it hard to retain the positive thought over 18 holes, whereas with practising it is much easier.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd June 2014, 08:01 PM
Not usually an issue. I miss them from hole one or two. Then it's downhill from there. Also once I miss one, I miss them for the rest of the round.

drobbo
23rd June 2014, 08:08 PM
If it's just a mental thing, then change your name on here to Matt 1 Jab and all your problems will be solved :)
All the best with it

Lagerlover
23rd June 2014, 08:29 PM
If it's just a mental thing, then change your name on here to Matt 1 Jab and all your problems will be solved :)All the best with it

+1. Worked for 3puttpete

Hatchman
23rd June 2014, 09:02 PM

It is not an easy thing to silence the inner demons. If it was there would be no * on the tour.

You need to over come the fear of missing that brings on the involuntary twitch. I started to develop the yipps 20 years ago and had plenty of single figure golf mates tell me I was doing and doing that. Like a fool looking for the magic pill I bounced from one thing to another without any thing improving in the putting department.

Then one day I saw an add in Australian Golfers Digest for a heap of golf training aids. I ended up buying 4 things.:
1. Putting rails. This had a small mirror at one end and 1 inch increments on either side to help check putter face angle (found I was slightly closed straight away). Two size spacer plates to set the width of the rails. I used these to train myself to swing the putter straight back and through.
2. Truth board. This was a 3 foot aluminium plate with some carpet stuck on top. Also had the 1 inch increments. Was made on a gradient with an adjustment and spirit level to get even. Came with two size spacers to make the cup at the end narrower. Idea was to just putt ball after ball on a true flat surface.
3. An adjustable plastic gig. Was curved at either end to fit on either biceps to help maintain the triangle and develop that pendulum stroke without something breaking down.
4. A book. This helped the most with my mental side. David Peltz Putt Like the Pros. Reading the book made me look at putting in a totally different way. It made me realise I was expecting way too much of myself with the putter. Belief in the book made me more appreciative of the putts I would hole rather than beating myself up on the ones I miss.

From what I gained from the book combined with re-training my technique with the rails and gig the putts just started to drop. Yes I would have the odd hiccup but I got out of the habit of it scaring me into missing more. Later down the track I also went to the fat grip and cross handed for even better results from the 8-15 foot range. I also had a lesson with a Pro to work on my distance control that helped shift my focus from being line orientated to speed orientated. He never made any changes to to my stroke or alignment as he was more than happy with that. I pick the line I think will see the ball go in and think of nothing else but how hard I want to stroke the ball when putting these days. This thought is used regardless of if it's 2 foot or 30 foot.

Numbers 1,3 and 4 were very helpful. Number 2 wouldn't have mattered if I bought or not
To help silence the mental demons I would start getting your stroke and alignment checked. Knowing this is sound or getting it sound will go along way in convincing yourself to not be afraid of missing.

mrbluu
23rd June 2014, 09:04 PM
My 2cents.

I used to have the chipping yips a few years ago which was the flow on affect of having the shanks for a 3-4 years. When I got rid of most of the lamb specials out of my game I had no confidence in my short game and my nerves were shot.

What I learnt over the last few years is that the yips are 99.9% technique related.
I would work on bandaid fixes to get me through a round or 2 and then it was shit again.

Even as recent as september last year when I started working with Virge I was playing of single figures would still shit myself if I had to hit a pitch or lob shot over a bunker or any sort of hazard. What Virge taught me is the correct way to release a club and how to chip. Since then I don't have the same feelings playing a lob shot.

From what I've learnt about ppl with Putting issues number of root causes.
1. Alignment - aiming the club on the wrong line and the hands working to get it back on.
2. Shoulder plane - going in a different direction to your intended path, throwing your club off line and your hands react to correct it.
3. Left hand stopping - making the right hand take over.

Of the guys that I've watch that have struggled with their pitting have one of these 3 things or a combination of all 3 combined.

Fix the root cause as fix the issue for good not just bandaid the problem.

Dotty
24th June 2014, 09:30 AM
Imagine that you are putting on a section of Hot Wheel track. (Just the old straight 2' piece that came in orange or yellow.)

Send the ball rolling down the centre of the track.

Initially, don't worry about the ball going offline, as the 'raised side will knock it back on course'. But with practice putting, the goal is to reach the end of the track without the ball bumping into either side.

For longer putts, still imagine a single 2' section, but the goal is to get the ball leaving the track at the right speed and direction, to run to the hole. (The influence of the slope of the green will take place after the ball leaves the track.)

Later, or on the course, you prefer to change it to 'Imagine you are putting on a timber deck'.

ps. But don't discount looking at technique and more suitable equipment.

Daves
24th June 2014, 10:34 AM
Imagine that you are putting on a section of Hot Wheel track. (Just the old straight 2' piece that came in orange or yellow.)

Send the ball rolling down the centre of the track.

Initially, don't worry about the ball going offline, as the 'raised side will knock it back on course'. But with practice putting, the goal is to reach the end of the track without the ball bumping into either side.

For longer putts, still imagine a single 2' section, but the goal is to get the ball leaving the track at the right speed and direction, to run to the hole. (The influence of the slope of the green will take place after the ball leaves the track.)

Later, or on the course, you prefer to change it to 'Imagine you are putting on a timber deck'.

ps. But don't discount looking at technique and more suitable equipment.

Sounds like The Boomerang Putting system Dotty.

http://www.boomerangputting.com/

jimandr
24th June 2014, 11:03 AM
I suspect Matt has already tried most of the technical things that have been suggested.

There is a guy at Ballina I play with occasionally who struggles a bit with his short putts. I only noticed that he had a problem when I saw that his preparation was completely different for his short putts. He does two things differently from his long putting. Firstly, he does a Billy Mayfair slice move while aiming left. The second thing (and I think this may be the most helpful), is that he follows the Aaron Baddeley technique on his short putts. He lines up behind, but then just walks up quickly and hits it. No practice swings, no loitering over the ball.

Either of those things may be worth a try.

Captain Nemo
24th June 2014, 11:10 AM
Matt, on Sunday catch up with Waz, he's one of the best putters ive seen (especially for his h/cap).....

graham_w
24th June 2014, 11:47 AM
It's taken 43 posts, and it's not really the ozgolf way....

But have you thought about getting a lesson?

markTHEblake
24th June 2014, 11:48 AM
100% in the mind. The problem is how do you solve the mind issue??peice of cake. Seems all your suggestions are missing the point Mark out a putter length from the hole, is 3foot.Get 5 balls.Don't stop until you make 100 putts in a row.Do that and your yips will be solved as it simulates the pressure. You will really be shaking on the 90'sForget Technique, forget mental drills, forget everything except the count. And just putt em in.

Marto65
24th June 2014, 11:52 AM
Heavy Putter ... light hands.

Jackson
24th June 2014, 11:56 AM
peice of cake. Seems all your suggestions are missing the point Mark out a putter length from the hole, is 3foot.Get 5 balls.Don't stop until you make 100 putts in a row.Do that and your yips will be solved as it simulates the pressure. You will really be shaking on the 90'sForget Technique, forget mental drills, forget everything except the count. And just putt em in.

This is a good one, I do it but with 8 balls around the hole like a clock face. Seems easy at first but when you get close to your target number it gets a bit nervous. Reward yourself with a beer afterwards for better results.

Matt 3 Jab
24th June 2014, 03:31 PM
peice of cake. Seems all your suggestions are missing the point Mark out a putter length from the hole, is 3foot.Get 5 balls.Don't stop until you make 100 putts in a row.Do that and your yips will be solved as it simulates the pressure. You will really be shaking on the 90'sForget Technique, forget mental drills, forget everything except the count. And just putt em in.

Did this once as a kid. I'll give it another go. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Captain Nemo
24th June 2014, 03:38 PM
Matt, you play a short putter, 33"
Want to try my Futura X on sunday, deep CG.......

Matt 3 Jab
24th June 2014, 04:09 PM
Yeah for sure titty, I'll have a roll on Sunday on te practice green to see how a high moi putter feels. Friday is my next game so will see how I go

Captain Nemo
24th June 2014, 04:36 PM
I'll throw it in the bag....

Matt 3 Jab
24th June 2014, 04:39 PM
Cheers

sms316
24th June 2014, 05:03 PM
Stroke it smoother.

matty
24th June 2014, 05:49 PM
I got nothing Matty but wish you the best in finding a solution. You'll get there.

Matt 3 Jab
24th June 2014, 06:18 PM
This Friday I will putt with my 33" putter regular handed with regular grip size. Regardless of yips. I'll just see how I go and see if I can't make a few with being confident with my stroke.

On the practice green I'll try and make 25 in a row from 3 feet.

If it breaks me it breaks me down to start again

live4golf
24th June 2014, 06:27 PM
If all else fails, there is always...

Buzz
24th June 2014, 06:30 PM
I think the other thing I picked up from Rotella ... Might have been mentioned already ... Forget the round, forget the situation, forget the score. Just go out there and want to putt. Enjoy putting. View each putt as an opportunity. Savour the ones you hole. Each one you miss is one closer to holing a nice one. I know it sounds artificial but it's more fun to miss putts with a positive attitude than a negative one :)

Matt 3 Jab
24th June 2014, 06:36 PM
Big hole golf would be awesome for me! As long as I'm more than a few feet away

Buzz, will take that on board

markTHEblake
24th June 2014, 06:50 PM
Big hole golf would be awesome for me! As long as I'm more than a few feet away

Then people will whinge about having the yips from 20ft, and will be lining up shots from 50 metres.

Dotty
24th June 2014, 08:33 PM
Silly question, why not change to a putter with a long alignment line?

That anser-like set-up in your DIY counterbalance thread may be working against you. Possibly look at something like a Anser2, Newport2 or Delmar.

Matt 3 Jab
24th June 2014, 08:37 PM
Have an alignment line (with electrical tape) on one of the putters now to see if it helps. If I like it I'll have one milled into it permanently

Gw 86
24th June 2014, 08:48 PM
Visualise the line and ball rolling in think about nothing else . Works for me if I can actually do it . Sounds easy but it's not

Steve57
24th June 2014, 09:01 PM
Have an alignment line (with electrical tape) on one of the putters now to see if it helps. If I like it I'll have one milled into it permanentlyDo you have a line drawn on your ball? I find it helps to line up the putt if you use the line on the ball. If nothing else it will give you something to take your mind off the whole putting idea. Try and get the ball rolling smoothly and end over end so that the line travels straight. If you are successful in doing this and you get the alignment right there is no excuse to miss the putt. Personally i have never had the yips but I'm sure that what I have described will help.

Matt 3 Jab
24th June 2014, 09:06 PM
I use the line. And can make a good putt from a distance, but the yips for me are about the nervous twitch that takes all stroke mechanics away and sends the ball wayward.

I believe it's a 90% mental thing. The stroke breaks down due to my mind and not that I can't roll the ball well overall

Hatchman
25th June 2014, 06:13 PM
Clear some room in your in box Matt. Can't send reply, getting in box full msg.

Matt 3 Jab
25th June 2014, 06:23 PM
Done mate

oldmannoodles
26th June 2014, 06:00 PM
I struggled with the yips for about 5 years. Tried everything - changing technique, different putter models, altering toe-hang, putter weight, putter length, grip pressure, thick grips, the claw grip, reverse handed, different routines, looking at the hole, eyes shut, practice drills, various mental exercises/approaches, putting aids, etc. Everything but the long stick - just couldn’t bring myself to contemplate the thought.

Some worked for a short time, some worked in practice but not in comps, some didn't work at all. The Claw grip was probably the most effective, but even that got twitchy in the end, plus I found it hard to get feel on the lag putts.

In the end I realized that it was 100% mental and that my neural pathway for that action was shot, causing my right hand to uncontrollably jerk just before impact.

Finally I pulled out an old Golden Goose (a switch-hitter, same model as the Bullseye) and started putting everything from 20 feet in left-handed. As the yips didn’t really affect my lag putting (I guess there’s a lesson there that I never figured out about outcome pressure as the probable cause), combined with a lack of feel with distance left-handed, I continued to putt the longer ones right-handed. Having gained a bit of touch left-handed, I now putt almost everything that way (although I still struggle with long putts from off the green, so hit them righty).

End result, pretty good. I’ll never be the best putter in the world but I’m no longer dreading the thought of missing from 8 inches, nor giving the game away. I have good days and bad, but generally I’m pretty solid from 6 feet in and maintain a mid-single figure handicap.

So my theory on curing the yips – experiment and find whatever works for you. For me (and many others) creating a new neural pathway by drastically altering the way you putt has worked. Standing on the other side of the ball is probably the biggest change your brain could fathom, so it has worked the best for me, so far....

Matt 3 Jab
26th June 2014, 06:38 PM
Sounds exactly like me. Except I went to the long putter!!

Left handed may be an option. Maybe the only option. I really don't feel the pressure from far away like you said. The jerky motion comes in from about 10ft

wizard_of_oz
27th June 2014, 12:14 AM
Comfort comes from familiarity, and confidence soon follows that. Keep putting 3 footers exclusively aiming to make 25-50 in a row. I too suffer from this mental affliction at times but when I go through a bad patch, I go spend more time on the greens and practice. Rotella helped me tremendously in having the right mind set too. It used to be, "come on, I SHOULD make this 3 foot putt. It's so simple" or "I have to make it to avoid bogey at all costs". Now it's "my target is that blade of grass" and focus on the target instead of mechanics. A tip you can try is to line your putt, pick your target, COMMIT to the line and speed, then LISTEN for the putt to drop instead of looking up and keep your eyes where the ball was and never look to follow the ball as it promotes steering and improper release leading to pulls and pushes. Make a confident stroke, regardless of the outcome. My yips used to be so bad that I could miss 1 foot putts with regularity. I've improved a lot since then (low bar to jump over) and those days are over. If I miss a 3 footer in my round from a yip, I go back to my 3 foot drills again and don't leave until I've made 25 in a row.

Matt 3 Jab
29th June 2014, 04:36 PM
Well today was a bad putting day. The yips were out in full force on the back 9 with a 5 putt ( after hitting the par 5 in 2) 2 x 4 putts and only 1x1 putt.

Left handed may be the go but I'm very frustrated with the flat blade at the moment.

3oneday
29th June 2014, 05:43 PM
Gee, wish I was with you.

3 shouts, very cool 8)

Matt 3 Jab
29th June 2014, 06:11 PM
Back to the broomy!

Captain Nemo
29th June 2014, 06:18 PM
Waz is a pretty good putter, no tips from him?

Matt 3 Jab
29th June 2014, 06:22 PM
I think I heard him say tennis was my calling! Haha

In all seriousness, I was told my head was moving but the yippy jerky hands kept making distance control very hard and a few good birdie chances I had didn't even look like going in

wazandnic
29th June 2014, 06:30 PM
Waz is a pretty good putter, no tips from him?

I did tell him to try a Bullseye! ;)

But really I did mention to try and practice dying some balls at the hole. The undoing today was ramming the first putt 1.5m past the hole leaving a tough par save coming back. Miss that one and it kind of snowballs from there... confidence shot, and as soon as you missed the first one you could tell you knew in your self you'd miss the next.

Just slow the whole stroke down and make a deliberately slow swing and die the ball at the hole.

OR get a Bullseye! ;) (I'll get them back as a main stream putter one of these days!)

sms316
29th June 2014, 06:40 PM
Yips are almost as funny as hosel rockets.

petethepilot
29th June 2014, 07:25 PM
Matt,
Yips is generally a result of 3 things

1. Initial technical problem that leads to increasing misses - when it matters!

2. Extreme focus on playing well (ie been an ok/good player and who cares a lot about your score/result)

3. Fear of missing coupled with a greater fear of yipping!

After stage one causes issues, you tend to try and over control your putting stroke.
Putts that were simple tap ins now become a challenge! Especially in a competitive situation (ie step 2)
Finally, the mere act of putting causes a disconnect between the brain and the controlling muscles!
Apparently, bad yippers actually have a micro black out around the moment one tries to strike the ball.
Ben Hogan had been known to putt into bunkers at his worst!

To recover from it, you need to do several things.

You need to find a way to putt that fires different feelings/sensations to the Brain.
This is where trying different styles/putters will help although I have seen (rarely) people yip with a broomstick!

You need to return putting to an unconsciously controlled activity (ie walking down a flight of steps)
You need to care less about the result!

I had a mate who rediscovered the act of laughing and enjoyment on the course - and the yips disappeared!
You need to not be worried what anybody thinks about how you putt and what you score! (This same mate used to swear at the ball before every 4 foot putt. We all thought it was hilarious and when he knew we were laughing with him, not at him, he putted great)

You need to become target aware not stroke/hands aware. Just think of rolling the ball underarm along the green to the hole.
You need to return to being a kid on the greens again - crap strokes do go in. A putt does not need to be perfect and not every perfect putt will go in!

Adopt some of Baddeley's method. Look at the hole from behind the ball and just visualise the target. Try and hit the putt within 3 seconds of settling over the ball. Let that be your goal, not if it goes in.

It is really in the mind and the minds desire to consciously control outcomes! Just enjoy the game again and the demons will disappear!

Pete

petethepilot
29th June 2014, 07:34 PM
A really good tip is to practice 4 foot putts...but with a club lying on the ground in the way!
You know the ball can't go in so you can't miss. You just stroke the putt.

Surprise, surprise you put a freer better stroke on the ball.

Matt 3 Jab
29th June 2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the reply Pete

I really didn't enjoy putting today. I can't seem to stroke the ball without the hands twitching regardless of distance.

And I struggle with distance control due to the twitching. It's obviously a lot in my mind, but it's very hard not to care when you play comp golf. And when you have hit the ball well tee to green, it's hard to keep missing birdie chances and pars continually without it taking it's toll

I feel i roll the ball a lot better with the broomy (unanchored) but I still have 38 putts with it

A lesson is planned to get it all looked at so I have a solid foundation. Other than that, maybe a no practice swings routine will help.

davepuppies
29th June 2014, 09:19 PM
Have you thought about looking at he hole the entire time, as apposed to the ball?

Just looking at target and swinging?

Matt 3 Jab
30th July 2014, 07:26 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/30/zu7erydu.jpg

Read this on the plane while traveling. Was a good book at the mental side of the putting game.

Played yesterday and tried to take some of it into account. While it hasn't stopped the yips (cross handed with the fatso grip did help) I had 35 putts and tried to take the positives from every putt

Worth a read

matty
30th July 2014, 08:11 AM
I just read his other book, Silent Mind Golf. Some good stuff in there.

Great post PTP.

yoyo
30th July 2014, 09:13 AM
I took about a decade off golf, came back and they were gone.

Putting is one of the strongest parts of my game now, although now ive said that it wil all turn to shit.

goughy
30th July 2014, 09:15 AM
Stop carrying whether it goes in our not.

Matt 3 Jab
30th July 2014, 10:14 AM
Goughy, I agree in the aspect it's not for sheep stations and golf isn't about winning all the time.

But it does come to a point where it's so frustrating it takes a big chunk away of the fun and enjoyment of the game. If one more person tells me that I strike it too good to be off 6 I'll flip it! Haha

Missing putts is life, but missing 1 foot putts over and over due to a jerky yippy action is demoralizing

The group I played with at kogarah can attest to that

3oneday
30th July 2014, 10:16 AM
Stop carrying whether it goes in our not.ever had the affliction Goughy?

mrbluu
30th July 2014, 10:31 AM
Stop carrying whether it goes in our not.

I've played with Matty a fair bit now and his attitude is awesome so this is definitely not the issue!!!

Missing putts is life, but missing 1 foot putts over and over due to a jerky yippy action is demoralizing

The group I played with at kogarah can attest to that

Thanks for bringing it up Matty, I've been trying to wipe that day from my mind!!!

billp
30th July 2014, 10:58 AM
If you are spiritual maybe try hypnotherapy?

I have also seen a guy keep his right arm perfectly straight holding the steel part of the putter with the finger tips and thumb pointing down, then gripping his arm with the left hand trapping the grip. This let him just swing his right arm, taking any possible wrist action out of the short putts.

He only used this for 2m and under putts, as it wasn't the most comfy form of putting but did work for him.

yoyo
30th July 2014, 12:54 PM
How do you know if you have the yips, or are just a really crap putter?

3oneday
30th July 2014, 12:58 PM
When you stand over a 6 inch putt and stress that you are going to miss it, slowly move into the ball and just as you are about to strike it, your right wrist lunges or jerks.

Apparently :)

mrbluu
30th July 2014, 01:28 PM
your right wrist lunges or jerks.

Too much time in the shower.....apparently!!! =P~

goughy
30th July 2014, 02:22 PM
ever had the affliction Goughy?

Tis my worst feature. Only time I putt well is when I don't care.

But typically, every shot I hit involves the yips.

talbo
30th July 2014, 02:54 PM
Probably won't help you but what has helped me is straight out commitment to the stroke. When I get nervous over putts it's usually because of distance control and then I leave them way short. Easier said than done I know but the only analogy I can think of at the moment is when you might play 8 ball, you look at the shot and instantly know exactly where to aim the cue ball and our brains adjust for speed. Only thing left is to commit to the shot and not second guess what you already know.

wstarks
22nd September 2014, 05:45 PM
fiddle around with different grips (reverse, claw, pencil etc) and find something you're confident with... when i was struggling, i went to a face-balanced putter with a fat grip and putted reverse.. helped alot

Lagerlover
22nd September 2014, 06:00 PM
fiddle around with different grips (reverse, claw, pencil etc) and find something you're confident with... when i was struggling, i went to a face-balanced putter with a fat grip and putted reverse.. helped alot

Great tip mate, thanks.

Anything for sale??

3oneday
22nd September 2014, 07:01 PM
:)

Matt1979
23rd September 2014, 09:06 AM
Great tip mate, thanks.

Anything for sale??
ouch.....

hoggy33
12th October 2014, 07:54 PM
Bob rotella, putting out of your mibd book

3oneday
12th October 2014, 09:09 PM
Yep, you're at 40.

Have you had the yips Hoggy?

topping
17th January 2015, 08:50 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I struggled with the yips for the last six months till I read Stocktons book. The answer for me was simply to keep all my focus on the line, choose a spot to go over and watch the putter hit the ball. That simple. Don't even think about the hole. Just line and pace. The hole gets in the way....

Matt 3 Jab
11th February 2015, 05:05 PM
About to read this!

backintheswing
11th February 2015, 05:16 PM
Just change your username to Matt 1 Jab and all will be fixed

3Puttpete
11th February 2015, 05:18 PM
Just change your username to Matt 1 Jab and all will be fixed

Smashing idea!

backintheswing
11th February 2015, 05:18 PM
Smashing idea!

Thanks 1puttpete

markTHEblake
11th February 2015, 08:25 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I struggled with the yips for the last six months till I read Stocktons book. The answer for me was simply to keep all my focus on the line, choose a spot to go over and watch the putter hit the ball. That simple. Don't even think about the hole. Just line and pace. The hole gets in the way.... Sorry, no need for this for the yips, which is purely mental. Any uncoordinated moron can knock in a two footer without any correct technique. This advice is great for longer putts

virge666
11th February 2015, 08:38 PM
Ladder drill.

Fixes the yips all day long

matty
11th February 2015, 08:56 PM
matt, what happens when you look at the hole and not the ball, thereby taking away any pre-emptive contact with the ball? (sorry if already discussed)

Grunt
12th February 2015, 07:38 AM
Ladder drill.

Love this drill. Really gets your pace sorted. Line comes later.

Matt 3 Jab
12th February 2015, 07:41 AM
matt, what happens when you look at the hole and not the ball, thereby taking away any pre-emptive contact with the ball? (sorry if already discussed)

I can make a better stroke but I'm still all over the shop. It's the flinch on contact that hurts. I've tried eyes closed as well. Distance control goes out the window.

Trying a few things. Long process. Got 28 days straight of the mental aspects that I've read up on

LeftyHoges
12th February 2015, 09:09 AM
Hmmm, looks like ladder drill it shall be then... :(

Matt 3 Jab
12th February 2015, 10:06 AM
Ladder drill.

This doesn't fix the jerk caused by the fear of missing. And it also doesn't help as there is no pressure on the putting green before a round. Only on course.

The twitch I have is the problem. And I'm trying to guided imagery to help it.

Rodent
12th February 2015, 10:43 AM
Big grip with really light grip pressure?

LeftyHoges
12th February 2015, 10:49 AM
Big grip with really light grip pressure?

Hasn't helped me unfortunately.

Yossarian
12th February 2015, 02:50 PM
What does it matter if you miss. Embrace failure. Then there can only be success.

3oneday
12th February 2015, 03:08 PM
True yippers don't need drills, if you think that's an answer you're kidding yourself.

It's better to not talk about it, asking for advice on the internet makes you think about it more. Just stop, move on, buy a driver.

virge666
12th February 2015, 06:11 PM
This doesn't fix the jerk caused by the fear of missing. And it also doesn't help as there is no pressure on the putting green before a round. Only on course.

The twitch I have is the problem. And I'm trying to guided imagery to help it.
Most of the stuff I have about yips is that the techniques is not the issue.

It is the distance control that has gone and you have no idea how far to hit the ball, nor have confidence in your technique to execute the required stroke that results in the required distance. Wow... That was a mouthful.

The ladder drill instills not only the skill but also the confidence. Hence the reason it is awesome for the yips.

The basics of the drill further allows the practicee the conditions to create a system for distance control. Once again promoting confidence to battle the yips.

That's the background...

Matt 3 Jab
12th February 2015, 06:42 PM
Yes, I agree with that point as to the distance control, however at my worst, hitting it to 1ft doesn't help any more than 6ft or 10ft. The twitch I have comes from the stress of missing. And missing short.

Last round I had with conventional grip I had 45 putts, and sundays round with claw I had 42 putts.

Something needs to change. And it's the twitch that needs to go. Distance control will hopefully help but it's the twitch that at the moment I can't control.

kiwitown
12th February 2015, 07:49 PM
(The twitch I have comes from the stress of missing. And missing short).

Hey Matt, I have had the same issue for years, the crap I would get from my mates was killing me. For me the miss was a dead pull left from 3 feet and under some times missing the hole buy a 2 cup widths. As a single figure player this was killing my scores and my enjoyment for the game.

What worked for me:

I didn't practice putting before rounds (so I wasn't frustrated before I got out there).
I putted one handed for the first 4 holes then switched to a left hand low grip. (this helped me focus on something other than the hole).

Its took 3 months, but I stuck with this and so far it has worked a treat. I'm back putting normally again? (left hand low), and I don't even think about missing putts now.

find a way to make it fun again and stick with it.

That's my 2 cents worth.. I hope you find a solution soon.

aussieashley
12th February 2015, 07:52 PM
Have you tried ditching the putter altogether and putting with a sand wedge?

thecollective
12th February 2015, 08:04 PM
Matt 3 Jab: 6 months ago I had the yips big time - one time during an ozgolf outing it was almost unbearable. Today I am much better and although not fully cured there is one thing that seriously worked for me.

Like Mark the blake mentioned many pages ago there is a take on his drill that I used.

Step 1: Allocate no time constraint on a putting green - if you are there for 2 hours too bad!
Step 2: take 5 balls and drop them around 1-2 metres from the whole in a circle at a quick pace - if they roll further or too close - too bad; play it as it lies.
Step 3: you need to complete a total of 5 reps without a miss in order to retire from the drill (1 rep obviously = 5 putts)

Take the first 2-3 reps quickly without much thinking involved, after the first completed rep try mixing up your vision - putt with your eyes on the hole, putt with your eyes closed remember they are only very short putts so this should not matter.

Once you reach 3 reps you can start to slow down and concentrate more as if you were in a comp. replicate the experience and concentrate on being nervous. Compare the process and analyse why/if something has changed - remember you have just completed 15 putts - why should there be a change in process?

If you miss one its too bad - reset the 5 balls and start again. Suck it in and drill the first rep quickly.

Once you get to 5 you should feel good and can keep going untill you miss one - but instead start dropping the balls further from the hole and replicate the experience in a comp environment.

To make it sub-conscious the mind requires it to be a habitual routine - a bit like a second serve in tennis - it must go in no matter what.

Another tip is to remember one of the best putters was Ben Crenshaw who used to die the ball into the hole instead of ram it in ala Tiger Woods. Hence if you already have missed a 1 metre putt; try dropping/die it in the cup - you have much less chance of missing even if your left or right side lip (chances are it will drop).

To this day I still cross hand my tap inns (under 1 metre) as a security blanket - the twitch has come out unexpectantly on occasion.

I have tried various super stroke grips and strongly do not recommend them for chronic yippers - you need to feel the weight of the putter head in order to improve.

I have a TM Daddy Long legs 38 inch counter balanced putter - this was a great band aid although if you want to become a good putter in the future I strongly suggest you then move to a more conventional model (once you are putting better) where you can get a better feel for the putter head. If I go bad again I will start to use the counter balanced putter as IMO there is nothing on the market more stable than this putter perhaps bar the Odyssey Tank series (I have never tried them but one of my playing partners seems to well with his) :)

Let me know if the above helps.

TC

highballin
12th February 2015, 08:12 PM
Matt I have not had less then 36 putts in 2 years I have been playing again. Last weekend I had 28 putts it had nothing to do with technique it had everything to do with the mind. I still had a 3 putt which I have not gone a single round without. However I didn't let that bother me. Breathing deeply and relaxing the shoulders while imagining the putt going in and then trusting my subconcious to do the rest worked.

I would say for us that struggle working on technique makes it worse. Work on relaxation and putting out of your mind.

Spoiler if I buy a new putter this weekend this is all crap and carry on :shock:

highballin
12th February 2015, 08:16 PM
Haha TC we were both coming from different perspectives at the same time.

thecollective
12th February 2015, 08:51 PM
Haha TC we were both coming from different perspectives at the same time.

Yes mate - my drill is about repetition more than anything else. I agree with your comments on technique, gets the mind racing too much.

Will be interesting to see how we both fare tomorrow. Although I had a good score at Kooey I missed alot of putts

Fingers crossed :)

TC

LarryLong
12th February 2015, 09:34 PM
Matt I have not had less then 36 putts in 2 years I have been playing again. Last weekend I had 28 putts it had nothing to do with technique it had everything to do with the mind. I still had a 3 putt which I have not gone a single round without. However I didn't let that bother me. Breathing deeply and relaxing the shoulders while imagining the putt going in and then trusting my subconcious to do the rest worked.

I would say for us that struggle working on technique makes it worse. Work on relaxation and putting out of your mind.

Spoiler if I buy a new putter this weekend this is all crap and carry on :shock:

This, for me. I'm a terrible putter, always have been. Yips, horrible technique, random direction on the takeaway, mid-stroke corrections when I panic and think I'm going to be short or long with the backswing I just did, the works.

I remember ages ago Greg Chappell was talking about his cricket coaching and he talked about how he wanted bowlers to think about where they wanted the ball to go, not how they were going to get it there. This made sense to me on that front, because I was a park cricket trundler who could land the stock ball on a frisbee all day long without ever really knowing what my bowling action looked like. The same applies if you are going to under-arm throw a ball to a mate a couple of metres away - you don't think about how far back you take your hand, or what direction it is travelling. You just do it.

I decided to apply this to golf. For the last couple of years I have tried to think only of where the ball needs to go - especially mid-swing. Just hit it there, don't worry about how that's going to happen. I try to black out my takeaway and backswing as much as possible - even if the alarm bells start ringing as soon as I move the putter - this was the root of all evil for me previously. These days I'm putting much better than I ever did, even if I'll never be a really good putter. I 3-putt much less when I do this, and the most interesting thing is that sometimes I find that I push or slice putts and they go in - my subconscious makes minor corrections that worry me if I notice them, but they work.

LeftyHoges
12th February 2015, 09:48 PM
Yes, I agree with that point as to the distance control, however at my worst, hitting it to 1ft doesn't help any more than 6ft or 10ft. The twitch I have comes from the stress of missing. And missing short.

Last round I had with conventional grip I had 45 putts, and sundays round with claw I had 42 putts.

Something needs to change. And it's the twitch that needs to go. Distance control will hopefully help but it's the twitch that at the moment I can't control.

Unfortunately I can relate to this so well. During the champs I was almost relieved to have a 6-footer vs a 3-footer.

The various groups I played with can attest to this but Woodlands I must've missed 4 putts under 4 foot and St Andrews beach I still shot square missing 3 under 4 foot. I reckon I even missed one at Latrobe under 3 feet.

Mine are USUALLY (90%) birdie putts that I miss, and come from so many negative thoughts over the ball. The ridiculous thing is that after I've missed the 3 footer and it slides 2-3 feet by I can just step up and casually bang that one in dead centre.

I think my process over the next few rounds will be just pure pace. I'll walk up to the ball, settle and hit it. No time for extra thought to creep in. Pick a line and bang it.

We'll see how it goes I guess.

Eca
13th February 2015, 12:52 AM
I thought I knew what the yip was until it happened to me mid last year. That same feeling like someone scared or startled you just before impact & that untrollable spasm feeling as you stroke the ball. It went from short putts then progressed to 10-15 footer.

I dont really know the fix but I switched to left hand low & changed putter at the same time. It did the job for me, for how long, no idea. I can feel it sometimes trying to creep in & my eyes starts getting overactive. I fight it by focusing on putting thru the line, eyes on groun where ball was hopefully hear it drop.
All the best with trying to get thru this. You will get thru it.

oldracer
13th February 2015, 07:08 AM

Something needs to change. And it's the twitch that needs to go. Distance control will hopefully help but it's the twitch that at the moment I can't control.remembering our discussions, I recommend a really good Shiraz, bottle of, prior to round, you will be that relaxed it will be "what yips?"

oldracer
13th February 2015, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=LeftyHoges;1188129]Unfortunately I can relate to this so well. During the champs I was almost relieved to have a 6-footer vs a 3-footer.

The various groups I played with can attest to this but Woodlands I must've missed 4 putts under 4 foot and St Andrews beach I still shot square missing 3 under 4 foot. I reckon I even missed one at Latrobe under 3 feet.

Mine are USUALLY (90%) birdie putts that I miss, and come from so many negative thoughts over the ball. The ridiculous thing is that after I've missed the 3 footer and it slides 2-3 feet by I can just step up and casually bang that one in dead centre.

I think my process over the next few rounds will be just pure pace. I'll walk up to the ball, settle and hit it. No time for extra thought to creep in. Pick a line and bang it.

We'll see how it goes I guess.[/QUOTE Over our many holes together Lefty, I have noticed you putt far better with your last comment, get the line, settle and putt and they drop when your stroke is smooth, sometimes it is a jab, those don't drop, observations only, do you really want to be a + golfer??????

razaar
13th February 2015, 10:31 AM
I'veI've come to the conclusion that one of the secrets to good putting (other than the normal things like aim, still head etc) is to have the hands supporting the full weight of the putter before starting the stroke and a fast left hand in the forward stroke. A fast left hand means keeping the hand moving ahead of the putter head before and past impact. Once the lead hand slows or stops the power of the stroke feeds into the putter head further slowing the hands and flipping the putter head through impact.

LeftyHoges
13th February 2015, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=LeftyHoges;1188129]Unfortunately I can relate to this so well. During the champs I was almost relieved to have a 6-footer vs a 3-footer.

We'll see how it goes I guess.[/QUOTE Over our many holes together Lefty, I have noticed you putt far better with your last comment, get the line, settle and putt and they drop when your stroke is smooth, sometimes it is a jab, those don't drop, observations only, do you really want to be a + golfer??????

Are you saying when I jab at putts I'm subconsciously sandbagging?

Excellent theory!!! :lol:

oldracer
14th February 2015, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=oldracer;1188162]

Are you saying when I jab at putts I'm subconsciously sandbagging?

Excellent theory!!! :lol:that could be it but knowing you, there is no sandbagging whatsoever...good luck with your club champs

Matt 3 Jab
6th July 2015, 08:16 PM
Really getting into this guys podcasts and the drills will be worked on a lot.

Plus I bought a putting training aid so going to work hard at both the mechanical and mental side of things!

http://www.puttingyips.com/docs/anti-yips-report.pdf

Matt 3 Jab
3rd September 2015, 07:17 PM
Just thought i would update this

Ive bought an armlock putter, and its a serious step up!

Ive had 2 good rounds of putting and the distance control is great.

Ive made a lot of good putts in only 2 rounds, but it seems it allows a normal grip for touch, feel and distance control, but stability with the grip against the forearm.

EDIT: buy one, try one, whatever, just feels good!

Daves
3rd September 2015, 07:20 PM
I built an Arm Lock style out of a 2 ball Putter for a friend who has a serious case of the Yips. It hasn't cured him, but his putting has improved enormously and he is very happy with it. I would like to add more loft for him, but he is happy with it as is, so I am not going to push it.

Matt 3 Jab
3rd September 2015, 07:31 PM
Yeah. The kuchar has 7 degrees and when addressing it without the forward press you see the loft a lot. I've really liked it. Yes it's 2 rounds but I'm hitting the ball on a better line and pace than I have in a long time

Eca
3rd September 2015, 08:00 PM
Just thought i would update this

Ive bought an armlock putter, and its a serious step up!

Ive had 2 good rounds of putting and the distance control is great.

Ive made a lot of good putts in only 2 rounds, but it seems it allows a normal grip for touch, feel and distance control, but stability with the grip against the forearm.

EDIT: buy one, try one, whatever, just feels good!
Nice Matty.
Not sure if i posted on your thread before but i had a bad case and i thought i knew what the yips was until it happened to me.
Mine was a change too, i switched left hand low & for short ones that are fairly straight, i just Speith it and it makes me go positively at it.

Dangals
3rd September 2015, 08:25 PM
Yeah. The kuchar has 7 degrees and when addressing it without the forward press you see the loft a lot. I've really liked it. Yes it's 2 rounds but I'm hitting the ball on a better line and pace than I have in a long time

Standard or the new centre shafted model? I am thinking about getting the cs version

Matt 3 Jab
3rd September 2015, 08:47 PM
Standard model. I like my stroke to have some arc in it

Blackhelmo
3rd September 2015, 09:33 PM
I developed the yips over a period of time and it was doing my head in. Even missing 4' tapins.... I've tried various methods, even switching to a left handed putter. This was ok on the short ones, but lacked distance control. All set to sell my Scotty Cam putter, when the trainee suggested the claw grip. This has seen the yips disappear completely. Still have the odd 3 jag, but that is due to leaving the long range putts short. Average around the 32-33 putts per round, which I think is ok for my handicap.

Mike O
6th September 2015, 04:34 PM
love to add some great information but it would require more than a three sentence post which won´t work here - yips are a tough thing to deal with - good luck with the journey.

razaar
6th September 2015, 08:48 PM
I developed the yips over a period of time and it was doing my head in. Even missing 4' tapins.... I've tried various methods, even switching to a left handed putter. This was ok on the short ones, but lacked distance control. All set to sell my Scotty Cam putter, when the trainee suggested the claw grip. This has seen the yips disappear completely. Still have the odd 3 jag, but that is due to leaving the long range putts short. Average around the 32-33 putts per round, which I think is ok for my handicap.This works if the yips are in the bottom hand in a conventional grip. It stops the offending wrist from jumping about and encourages the shoulders to get involved.

mrbluu
7th September 2015, 05:52 AM
I developed the yips over a period of time and it was doing my head in. Even missing 4' tapins.... I've tried various methods, even switching to a left handed putter. This was ok on the short ones, but lacked distance control. All set to sell my Scotty Cam putter, when the trainee suggested the claw grip. This has seen the yips disappear completely. Still have the odd 3 jag, but that is due to leaving the long range putts short. Average around the 32-33 putts per round, which I think is ok for my handicap.

This works if the yips are in the bottom hand in a conventional grip. It stops the offending wrist from jumping about and encourages the shoulders to get involved.
I found with what ppl think as the right hand taking over, I found its cos the left hand has stopped. If the right hand didn't try to "hit" the ball the ball won't go anywhere.

I found the for me the left and right hand has to work together. The left hand controls club face (direction) and the right hand controls club loft (distance).

Of what I have seen bad putting and what ppl see are the yips I see as bad technique and especially bad alignment.

razaar
7th September 2015, 07:17 AM
I found with what ppl think as the right hand taking over, I found its cos the left hand has stopped. If the right hand didn't try to "hit" the ball the ball won't go anywhere.

I found the for me the left and right hand has to work together. The left hand controls club face (direction) and the right hand controls club loft (distance).

Of what I have seen bad putting and what ppl see are the yips I see as bad technique and especially bad alignment.True Bluu. A good teacher will look at a player's stroke using each hand individually to ascertain a possible weak link. One case I saw was the player couldn't control the putter with the trail hand/wrist but could with the target wrist. The problem disappeared with a change to the trail/hand arm in a saw type action.

Johnny Canuck
7th September 2015, 09:58 AM
Bump for Simmsy

Eca
7th September 2015, 10:43 AM

Of what I have seen bad putting and what ppl see are the yips I see as bad technique and especially bad alignment.

Bluu has worked on my putting a fair bit & this tip here helped me a lot.

LeftyHoges
7th September 2015, 02:01 PM
Bump for Lefty.

Bugger.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

simmsy
7th September 2015, 02:28 PM
Bump for Simmsy

**** you Canuck

Worst thread EVER

Blackhelmo
7th September 2015, 08:38 PM
This works if the yips are in the bottom hand in a conventional grip. It stops the offending wrist from jumping about and encourages the shoulders to get involved.

It was my right hand. It felt like it was scared to hit the shot, and it was going into a spasm. I could putt years ago, and I think it came about by not tapping in the short putts during social romps. Had 32 putts on weekend with one 3 jab, however the 3 jabs are due to not putting my first putt close enough to the hole.

I have been fitted at the TM lab in Brissy, so will be interested to see if my stas improve once I have the putter specs carried out

Jazz18
7th September 2015, 10:44 PM
The best answer is to buy a new putter no?

Hatchman
8th September 2015, 11:32 AM
Over the years I found having a game on scrapes helped with my putting stroke when getting back to greens. You must putt with an accelerating stroke catching the ball slightly on the up on the sand greens or it goes no where.

mrbluu
14th November 2015, 02:29 PM
Played with a fellow member of my club that I haven't played with for a while, who is a really good putter as a 8 marker. He turns and said he has the yips, came as a bit of a surprise to me. I told him more than likely he doesn't the yips and its probably an alignment issue. He was adamant that he does have the yips.

Anyway sure enough on the first short putt he has, he aims a cup left and cuts across the line. This move is very reliant on timing. When he times it right it goes in. When he doesn't it misses. He had an awesome yip on the 10th when he double hits a 2 foot putt. I shook my head and walked away.

I don't get, why would he prefer to blame his head and not his technique???

Matt 3 Jab
14th November 2015, 02:36 PM
Changing technique is fine, but you can't control a flinch. Ever.

So no doubt he feels the flinch and it goes right.

Tough game and even tougher with yips

mrbluu
14th November 2015, 02:46 PM

But with a proper technique, he is less likely to have those flinches.

I will add with this guy, the flinches are just his subconscious mind correcting a club path and face that don't match up to make a straight putt.

sms316
14th November 2015, 06:07 PM
Changing technique is fine, but you can't control a flinch. Ever. So no doubt he feels the flinch and it goes right. Tough game and even tougher with yips You could anchor for the next six weeks.

Matt 3 Jab
14th November 2015, 07:40 PM
You could anchor for the next six weeks.

???
I could or he could?

sms316
14th November 2015, 07:47 PM
???I could or he could? Both of you. Knock yourselves out.

Matt 3 Jab
14th November 2015, 07:48 PM
Thankfully I'm not near the anchor as yet!

thecollective
15th November 2015, 01:35 AM

You can putt the other way, sounds good in theory and eliminates the tips in practice, but horrible judging distance

Matt 3 Jab
15th November 2015, 05:35 AM
You can putt the other way, sounds good in theory and eliminates the tips in practice, but horrible judging distance

Putt which way???

I'm confused.

I was stating that flinching when putting isn't something that's easily controlled, if at all when you have the yips. Even if you know you are lined up correctly and making a good stroke, it's (for me) the fear of missing that causes the flinch and the missed putts.

Thankfully I've gone to a putter that I'm a lot more confident with.

davidw88
15th November 2015, 05:55 AM
I just hit more greens in reg so the 3 putts don't hurt as much.

thecollective
15th November 2015, 07:09 AM
3 putts are nice, 4 are the ones that hurt the most

dee cee
15th November 2015, 09:31 AM
I read Bob Rotellas book about putting among others. I believe it's mainly in the head. You have to change your manner of thinking. Basically whilst on the golf course you have to fool yourself and believe you are a great putter, pick a line, trust yourself and pull the trigger. You will of course miss, that's the game. Train yourself to forget the misses and believe you'll get the next one.

It's hard when you miss lots but it takes training, lots of time. It's like getting good at anything, you've got to keep at it. Remember the good putts, forget the bad.

It's basically delusional thinking and something that is hard to change within oneself when you've never thought like that... Ever.

mrbluu
15th November 2015, 09:43 AM
I read Bob Rotellas book about putting among others. I believe it's mainly in the head.

Such bullocks.

I don't care how much u try to convince yourself, a good mind set is not going to help if u are aimed 4inches off line on a 2foot putt.

Blackhelmo
15th November 2015, 12:49 PM
Putt which way???

I'm confused.

I was stating that flinching when putting isn't something that's easily controlled, if at all when you have the yips. Even if you know you are lined up correctly and making a good stroke, it's (for me) the fear of missing that causes the flinch and the missed putts.

Thankfully I've gone to a putter that I'm a lot more confident with.

Same for me. Went reverse grip, putting opposite hand. Distance judging is harder this way. Now use the claw style grip. Much, much, much better

Matt 3 Jab
15th November 2015, 01:53 PM
Such bullocks.

I don't care how much u try to convince yourself, a good mind set is not going to help if u are aimed 4inches off line on a 2foot putt.

True as well.

dee cee
15th November 2015, 06:40 PM
Of course your technique has to be reasonable and consistent. Matt is a quality golfer with above average skills. I think you've forgotten what we are talking about here. We are tallking yips not aiming 2 inches off line. Yips and flinching are mental.

If his problem is aiming then the whole thread and its title needs changing.

mrbluu
15th November 2015, 06:58 PM
Of course your technique has to be reasonable and consistent. Matt is a quality golfer with above average skills. I think you've forgotten what we are talking about here. We are tallking yips not aiming 2 inches off line. Yips and flinching are mental.

If his problem is aiming then the whole thread and its title needs changing.
Sounds like u have played a lot more golf with Matty than I have.....

From what I've seen with Matty its a lack of consistency of set up and some of this is alignment.

In any case pretty much every person I've seen than "yips" it has issues with alignment that they are not aware of.

Got a young guy at my club who plays of about 2 and was as low as plus 2. He aims lefts and has to block his putts back on line, he yips 2-3footers cos of this.

dee cee
15th November 2015, 08:40 PM
I'd argue your 2 marker who was +2 must make putts to be off that handicap meaning he must stoke it with some sort of consistency. His missed short putts I'd say are mostly anxiety and mental related.

Again, I'm sure a better technique would help, but so too would a better attitude. Of course, I don't know the bloke and pretty much taking a stab.

I'd say Matt needs to sort his technique out, then have a consistent pre shot and putting routine, then putt with delusional confidence. What's the worst that can happen??? He misses the same putts he currently misses?

Anyway, food for thought, a different perspective.

mrbluu
16th November 2015, 06:34 AM
I'd argue your 2 marker who was +2 must make putts to be off that handicap meaning he must stoke it with some sort of consistency. His missed short putts I'd say are mostly anxiety and mental related.

Again, I'm sure a better technique would help, but so too would a better attitude. Of course, I don't know the bloke and pretty much taking a stab.

I'd say Matt needs to sort his technique out, then have a consistent pre shot and putting routine, then putt with delusional confidence. What's the worst that can happen??? He misses the same putts he currently misses?

Anyway, food for thought, a different perspective.
You've totally convinced me. Didn't realise u have gone and played golf with all this guys and seen first hand what they do.

3oneday
16th November 2015, 07:50 AM
I'd like to stoke it with consistency ;)

mrbluu
16th November 2015, 08:00 AM
I'd like to stoke it with consistency ;)

Are you stoking it right now??

Jazz18
16th November 2015, 08:45 AM
I still think buying a new putter is the answer ;)

3oneday
16th November 2015, 09:00 AM
I concur.

mrbluu
16th November 2015, 09:05 AM
I still think buying a new putter is the answer ;)

I concur.
I did buy a new putter but it didn't help him at all!!!

spanner039
16th November 2015, 04:29 PM
Flatso 2 & DDL, back hand short putts, normal grip long putts and square up (cheers bluu)

Seeing the line is easy for me due to my incredible skills at building greens

I now get more enjoyment about a decent dare i say stroke than ripping a driver

Not long ago i couldnt sink or feel i could even make a two footer, Im not fixed but well and truely on the way

Scifisicko
16th November 2015, 05:49 PM
For a while I was having trouble pulling the trigger on full shots with short irons. Seemed I was heading for kevin Na territory. Then I realised I was taking it too seriously. Now I try not to care about the result and just the process. Stammer has completely gone. Wonder if you care too much about the result?

dee cee
16th November 2015, 09:38 PM
Worth considering and exploring I reckon scifisicko....

wizard_of_oz
17th November 2015, 10:11 AM

topping
7th December 2015, 08:14 PM
I've just come out the other side having been off single figures for 30 years.

Two things are working for me. One is switching to a claw style grip. The one I prefer is having the right hand resting really lightly across the grip, with pinkie facing the hole. The other thing is to watch the club actually hit the ball. Concentrating on that made me focus on the shot not the fear of the yips. Plus about an hour or so on the putting green just getting it grooved. Good luck. Let me know how you go.

simmsy
11th December 2015, 02:42 PM
I'm a big fan of the pinkie facing the hole.
Works wonders.

spanner039
11th December 2015, 02:55 PM
I'm a big fan of the pinkie facing the hole.
Works wonders.

This more relevant in the manscaping thread?

Lagerlover
11th December 2015, 03:53 PM

I normally laugh at them.

Hatchman
11th December 2015, 04:49 PM

I normally laugh at them.

Wrong thread mate [emoji13]

Lagerlover
11th December 2015, 05:02 PM
I laugh at those now too..... thank far*.

Hatchman
11th December 2015, 05:40 PM
I laugh at those now too..... thank far*.

Where do you sit with out of bounds, balls that can't swim or float and fresh air swings?

Lagerlover
11th December 2015, 06:47 PM
Where do you sit with out of bounds, balls that can't swim or float and fresh air swings? I can see the lighter side to most of those... as long as it isn't me.

Hatchman
11th December 2015, 07:40 PM
I can see the lighter side to most of those... as long as it isn't me.

That's disappoint. I was going to announce you as OzGolf's happiest golfer [emoji17][emoji3]

Lagerlover
11th December 2015, 07:45 PM
The only thing that gets my goat is little people winning long drives with Senior flex shafts.

Hatchman
11th December 2015, 07:53 PM
I hate it when courses have flat rocks on fairways.

Lagerlover
11th December 2015, 07:56 PM
...and tree roots

3Puttpete
11th December 2015, 08:03 PM
The only thing that gets my goat is little people winning long drives with Senior flex shafts.

As long as you're ok with a couple of NTPs

Hatchman
11th December 2015, 08:03 PM
oh, and fairways.
Should just have a tee block and a green. Get there what ever way you want [emoji10].
Wait a minute some of those scrapes courses I play are like that already [emoji3] carry on .....,,

Lagerlover
11th December 2015, 08:06 PM
As long as you're ok with a couple of NTPs

X flex KBS at least allows me to claim them.

Richo1
15th December 2015, 03:39 PM
Use a counter balanced putter. I used to suffer from the yips. I went to a 40 inch Tank putter. It is so heavy you can't steer it. Honestly the best thing I have done for my game. The key is moving as far away from what your currently doing. Moving to a long heavy putter was a big change for me. And exactly what I needed. Hope this helps. Happy Golfing.