PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 20th Febuary

Grunt
20th February 2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Guys & Gals

Well I went out for a social hit with one of the A graders from Mac Grange. We played 27 holes with me shooting 87 in the first 18 with an awful quad bogie,double bogie quad bogie start. Then I worked out what I was doing wrong I was trying too hard. I had done exactly what Dr Bob was talking about in the start off his "Golf is not a game of Perfect" book. We were plating for best nett score, I was thinking too hard about how to beat him. So I started playing real well.
The stats for the round are:
87 Gross
67 Nett
7 Fairways
4 GIR's
3 up & downs
33 putts
10 pars
3 Bogies
3 Double Bogies
2 Quad Bogies

We then went back to the 1st tee for another nine. I started better the 2nd time and shot a 9 over 44 with the following stats;
5 fairways
4 GIR's
15 putts
1 chip-in
1 up & down
4 pars
2 bogies
2 doubles
1 triple bogie

Had a good ballstriking day in the end. I think I have turned the corner again and hope to be able to do it in comp.

Jarro
20th February 2006, 06:52 PM
how many miracle flop-shots did you play ;)

Grunt
20th February 2006, 06:53 PM
how many miracle flop-shots did you play ;)

Just one straight into the hole on the eighth to save par on the 8th (26th hole)

reg320
20th February 2006, 07:53 PM
played at Briabane golf club on Sun, had 77 off the stick with 24 putts. Felt pretty good, but gave away a few easy shots. 74 was definately in reach......

Keza_G
20th February 2006, 08:40 PM
Played Gold Coast Country Club... they have de thatched the green last Monday and are still crap... I can't believe I was a member there for 4 years...

What a crap hole, lucky the golf was good... 75 off the stick (5 over front 9, 2 under back 9).... with slow are buggery crap green I was surprised to have 32 putts.... wasn't comp so no hcp reduction... double bugger.

Cheers

Keza

Moe Norman
20th February 2006, 09:08 PM
Played NSW today for the first time. Beautiful golf course and had 81 Gross. My putting was again not great, but I played pretty well on a very tough course that I haven't seen. No 3 putts, but didn't even look like holing anything from >6feet

amazing course. Comes close to RMW as my favourite.

AndyP
20th February 2006, 11:16 PM
Played Gold Coast Country Club... they have de thatched the green last Monday and are still crap... I can't believe I was a member there for 4 years...

What a crap hole, lucky the golf was good... 75 off the stick (5 over front 9, 2 under back 9).... with slow are buggery crap green I was surprised to have 32 putts.... wasn't comp so no hcp reduction... double bugger.
You know someone working at Gold Coast CC could take offence at that post, Keza.......

Keza_G
21st February 2006, 06:30 AM
You know someone working at Gold Coast CC could take offence at that post, Keza.......

No they wouldn't, cause a friend on the green staff said the same thing to me... He said that they had gone a little to far on the dethatch and the greens are not recovering as well as they thought... and they are a little annoyed as to the condition of the grounds cause they are still waiting for the recycled water that was supposed to be piped down when Helensvale town centre was built.

The condition of the course is poor and their main aim is to promote social play on the course.... Membership is reasonably cheap (for a gold coast course) but until the recycled water comes down, it will always be at the whim of the weather. They have even made the greens smaller to reduce water consumption and maintainence...

Cheers

Keza

BrisWesty
21st February 2006, 07:43 PM
After my very pleasing 9 holes yesterday, I played the other 9 holes at Caboolture this morning. Could not buy a putt from outside a metre, left about 4-5 putts out on the course, but ended up with 42 (6 over) 6 bogeys in a row to start, finished with 3 pars in a row.
17 putts
2 GIR
5/7 fairways, but 8 effective tee shots.
8 2 putts
1 1 putt

A little off line with my irons, but generally feeling good about my game.

McMw
21st February 2006, 10:26 PM
shot -1 34 this evening...pretty chuffed bout it, coz birdied the last 2 holes into the wind... :mrgreen:

using a different putter (yet again)...dead feel, but seem to put the ball on a good line straight away...

BrisVegas
22nd February 2006, 10:11 AM
A little off line with my irons, but generally feeling good about my game.

Hopefully that good form will continue thru Sunday. With a little bit of rain around, Gailes should be in good nick too...

Keza_G
22nd February 2006, 01:18 PM
Played in Ricerlakes Wednesday comp...

Shot 73 (1 over Par 72) for 40pts...

Handicap reduction to be performed in the next day or 2...

Cheers

Keza

Flowergirl
22nd February 2006, 02:47 PM
Played in Ricerlakes Wednesday comp...

Shot 73 (1 over Par 72) for 40pts...

Handicap reduction to be performed in the next day or 2...

Cheers

Keza

73 gross...........way to go Keza. Great round there girl:-D

I played today in our comp. Par. Had a lovely +4. After 16 months playing off 20 ( never broke to 9 - never went out to 21) I finally broke to 19. Now a handicap in the teens and not the 20's!!! Yea...........I'm rapt.:-D
Shot a respectable 85 off the stick - my putting let me down today. But I was pleased with my course management today. Played a lot "smarter".
Only got one more shot to lose then I'm off my goal of 18.
Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Matt 3 Jab
22nd February 2006, 02:50 PM
Played New brighton this morning with a mate.
played really well, played the back nine first then hit the front nine!
Putted well, but maybe left a few putts out there, But very happy none the less.
Effective Tee Shots: 7/13
Greens in Reg: 14/18 YAY!!!!
Putts: 31 good, only left 2 short ones out these and they were both for birdie :(
U/D's: 1/3
Shot 73 off the stick (par 72) for a +1 and in a comp would have been 42 Points, but the funny thing is i didnt feel like i shot the lights out, i just played to what i think im capable of.

AndyP
22nd February 2006, 02:59 PM
Finally FG, well done.

Jarro
22nd February 2006, 03:43 PM
played at Briabane golf club on Sun, had 77 off the stick with 24 putts. Felt pretty good, but gave away a few easy shots. 74 was definately in reach......

just saw this one, greta shootin' mate :smt119

i take it the new driver is working out well ;)

connico
22nd February 2006, 04:14 PM
great score there matty, should have marked the round and got some points off the hc

Matt 3 Jab
22nd February 2006, 04:30 PM
hahaha, yea maybe, oh and by the way my mate shot even par, but he is off 1, was a great day for hitting it long!

Grunt
22nd February 2006, 04:47 PM
I though the only time you could put cards in outside of comp was whilst getting a handicap. Am I wrong?

Keza_G
22nd February 2006, 05:27 PM
I though the only time you could put cards in outside of comp was whilst getting a handicap. Am I wrong?

This is purely at the discretion of the club handicapper.... If they believe that you are on the improve and that they maybe an uproar as to your golfing ability in te future, which often happens at Riverlakes, you can be handicapped on suspicion as well as out of competition.

Cheers

Keza

Flowergirl
22nd February 2006, 07:00 PM
Finally FG, well done.

Thanks AP...has been a long, long time. Reckon I must hold a record for the longest time on the one handicap:shock:

shazza_rs
22nd February 2006, 08:02 PM
nice going surrogate mum! now you have to get lower than your adopted daughter..... ;)

amanda
23rd February 2006, 12:54 PM
congrats to everyone who lowered their handicaps this week!

I played in a ladies event on Wednesday as part of the WGNSW medal - a round of contradictions - Had shot 16 over in the first 8 holes - then made 7 consecutive pars, then a triple, bogey and double to come home straight on my handicap (95/73). Just need to get over some mental distractions for the first 3-4 holes - I think I may be trying too hard to hit good shots.

Still won the event of the day - it's been a while :)

McMw
23rd February 2006, 08:44 PM
national day holiday - perfect weather for 18 holes today...despite the strong wind...

shot 73...after finishing bogey/bogey/par... :(
hit every green frpm 9 to 15 and yet only made 1 birdie in that stretch... :rolleyes:

still, heck of a lot better than the 82 from sunday, and actually beat the Kid as well...he's been in great form - won the last 2 week's club comp gross prize...

Matt 3 Jab
24th February 2006, 09:55 AM
well after my 73 on wednesday, was feeling good, but just left all the shots i needed for a good score out there, i tripled the 10th, alot of missed good birdie chances but oh well, seem to be hitting it good.
Effective Tee Shots: 8/13
GIR: 11 not so bad
Putts: 34 Bugger :(
U/D's: 2/6
Penalties: 1

kept it together ok at the end, lipped a 2 footer to play to my handicap on the last. left alot of birdies out there.

reg320
24th February 2006, 05:05 PM
Didn't actually use it a whole lot - the R7 3w is a beast. Still tinkering with the weights though.

reg320
24th February 2006, 05:07 PM
Played nine holes at Virginia with social club from work. evn off the stick, one birdie, one bogey. Was off the yellow though....

Jarro
24th February 2006, 05:08 PM
Played nine holes at Virginia with social club from work. evn off the stick, one birdie, one bogey. Was off the yellow though....

you working next wednesday mate ??

reg320
24th February 2006, 05:14 PM
Yes unfortunately....crap!

connico
25th February 2006, 10:57 AM
98 with blades...no comment..

Grunt
25th February 2006, 01:00 PM
Played Monthly Medal this morning, played ok just lost my swing towards the end of the round.
Gross 91
Nett 71

Haven't tracked my stats for this round but I putted well with 5 one putss and only a solatary 3 putt. Mate I played with said at 18 if I could chip I would save at least 7 shots off my handicap real quick. I guess that might be my new aim in the practice, chipping around the greens.

drunken
25th February 2006, 01:31 PM
Stableofrd, first round for almost six weeks.

33 points with 4 wipes. Started off crap and was happy with the way I pulled it back together. Had putts for par on both holes where I get two shots so I was happy with that.

Eag's
25th February 2006, 07:44 PM
Played my first comp as a member of Virginia today :)
Hit the ball all over the joint today :oops: especially with the driver.
The course was in great nick and the greens were fast.

Shot 87/32 points
Greens 2 :smt087
Fairways 4 :confused:
Putts 27 :)
U&D's 3/12
B/S 2/4

Moe Norman
25th February 2006, 08:02 PM
i went down to Oxley to do some much needed practice on my putting. The traditional putter certainly fixed the pulls, but I've got a long way to go!

I decided to quickly play the first 6 holes to get some practice in. Shanked my first two balls with driver on the first hole, then tried 3 wood on the second and shanked 2 there. Then I got the hybrid out and hit two shanks with that too! I was bewildered and decided to avoid the tee for the remaining holes and just dropped a ball up the fairway and played from there.

oh dear...

BrisVegas
25th February 2006, 08:06 PM
Thommo - lucky you're building a shed tomorrow. Shanking is bad.... Especially as we are starting on the 10th...

peter_rs
25th February 2006, 09:27 PM
Played river lakes today 82 of the stick came thrid for the day. The mp 32 are working well :) Galies will be a interesting round.

McMw
25th February 2006, 10:45 PM
yet again...level par 35 on the front nine - blowout 42 on the back nine...
it's driving me NUTS!!!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

mike
25th February 2006, 11:20 PM
79/68 in the Monthly Medal today.

First time I've actually played under my handicap in about a hundred years.

Woohoo !

AndyP
26th February 2006, 08:30 AM
B/S 2/4
Bullsh!t shots?

BrisVegas
26th February 2006, 10:10 AM
79/68 in the Monthly Medal today.

First time I've actually played under my handicap in about a hundred years.

Woohoo !

nicely done Mike. :)

amanda
26th February 2006, 02:26 PM
Played with jimandr, jono and grunt today at Bardwell Valley.

The course condition has dropped 100% since our game there last year - fairways were extremely patchy (15cm preferred lie didn't help in most situations), some greens were sandy, others had small mud puddles in them.

However - even with all that - had a great fun day out and saw lots of good golf from my playing partners.

I had 41 points \\:D/ however, the AWCR is 1 stroke less than the Par (played par 64) so I'm hoping I lose 1.6.

Highlight of the day was a chip-in biride on the 16th hole. It's a par 5 for the ladies (par 4 for men) - hit a great drive and 2nd shot to be about 10m short of a raised green on an uphill slope. Grunt and Jono were a few metres beside an in front of my spot. Flag was about 3m from the front of the green - so we all decided that the best idea was the flop the ball up there to get it close. I was first and managed to hit the top ridge before rolling back to 5m from the green. Grunt copied my feat and Jono learned and went for the heart of the green. Tried a 2nd flop shot - was tracking for the hole and it went in! There was an almighty yell of excitement - however, for a change, I was not on the green - so dancing was entirely appropriate :smt098

Jono did try to emulate a chip-in dance on the next hole - he did pretty well - I'd give him 8/10 =D>

While I lost the matchplay on the 20th hole (we played the 18th 3 times) - I'm not disappointed. I actually felt completely in the zone on each of the tee shots - unfortunately, they all were horrible! Jim is unflapable under pressure and that showed a marked difference between a novice 22-capper and a seasoned pennant etc player like Jim. Great work Jim!

jimandr
26th February 2006, 04:20 PM
"Seasoned" is better than being called old.

As noted above, we played Bardwell Valley today.

I was quite happy with my 35 points today. After a scratchy start I hit the ball fairly well, my chipping was good and my short putting very good. A bad drive that wasn't so bad it deserved to be lost cost me a wipe on a hole I would normally expect no worse than 2 points cost me a better score.

No birdies, so no dancing, but I hit a few birdie putts I thought were going in until 2 feet from the hole.

Grunt
26th February 2006, 04:31 PM
Well today I had a truely inconsistent ballstriking day:? , a couple of bad shots:shock: really cost me. Putting was ok early but towards the end was not reading them well at all. I think that good game is there just have to get my ballstriking better.
Was great to play alongside a great match between Amanda & Jim played in the spirit that I think sums up OzGolf :smt038 Congrats Jim, comiserations Amanda, maybe another thing we can organise is to have some sort of little comp for OzGolfers that have been knocked out of the matchplay.

Keza_G
26th February 2006, 07:19 PM
Gailes today.... Alcohol induced uncontrollable tremors disappered around the 6th......... pulled out the finger and managed to pull out a few birds.... Shot 80 ( 7 over par 73)... I was happy considering I was 6 over at the turn and 9 over at 16... finished Birdy, birdy.... sweeet...

Cheers

Keza

Eag's
26th February 2006, 07:27 PM
Played Gailes today in a Single Stab.
Drove the ball ok but still missed a lot of fairways.
Putter was my savoir again :smt002

41-43-84 37 points
5 Greens (missed 6 from inside 80m-100m) :oops:
6 fairways
27 putts :-D
7/9 U&D's
1/2 Bunker saves
10 pars
5 Bogeys
3 Doubles

AndyP
26th February 2006, 07:50 PM
26/02/06, Gailes GC, Stableford

FWRR: Pretty solid, approaches wayward

12/15 effective T-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
2/6 up & down successes.
35 putts.
------------
1 birdie.
4 pars.
12 bogeys.
1 double.
Score 43-43-86 stab 35pts (Par 37-36-73)

I was hitting it pretty well off the tee today, but the majority of the time it was with the 3 wood or less. Didn't feel that the more risky driver was necessary. That said I was 3 from 3 with the big dog. It was disappointing that the 3 wood performed worse at the end of the day, than it did at the start, but it did the job.

Unfortunately, I think my letdown for the day was the conversion of these T-shots. I seemed to have plenty of oppotunities to hit good shots into greens, but either pushed or pulled a few. Even some of the greens that I did hit, weren't close enough to the hole for my liking. This is reflected a bit in the number of putts. I didn't putt too bad, but I couldn't get them to sink until the last couple of holes.

I noticed on my last round at Gailes that I double bogeyed each of the 4 par 5s (+8 ), so this was something I targetted today. Keep it in play, and give myself a chance of par. Finished with +2 for the 5s, so that's much better.

Can't complain about having my best score at Gailes after a string of 90 pluses. I'm happy.

Next round: Nambour GC, 4BBB Stableford.

BrisVegas
26th February 2006, 07:58 PM
Gailes today with the gang.

12 fairways (1 was tree assisted big time!)
8 GIR
3/10 U&D
33 putts
39 + 40 = 79 (+6)
37 points

Had a stack of chances to save pars or make birdies, but left most of em out there. Struggled on the shaggy greens.

Moe Norman
26th February 2006, 10:07 PM
snuck out for a game in the morning around indro east, and as is always the way when you finally go out a stroke with the handicap suddenly the game reappears. Played off 7 for the first time and had 37 points and now back into 6 ! This system sux!

collected stats for the first time and just goes to show how poor the short game is

12/14 Fairways - 2 tree assists ;)
14 GIR
4 Birdies
1/4 U&D - sandsave
35 Putts
36 + 42 = 78
37 Points

the new putter was solid without being excellent, I shaved the hole from around 10-20 feet countless times and only one putted 2 greens and 3 putted the 18th from 10 feet because I was lazy and was trying to avoid the rain. Having said that, every putt that missed was a misread and the stroke was solid, though still getting airborn on the snakes!

Was enjoyable to play under HCP for a change, helped by my long game though as I birdied 3, 9 and 10 by hitting them all in two then regulation 2 putts. Tee's were at the back too, I just nailed some good shots, especially with the hybrid on 9 to about 8 feet from 215m.

some big numbers on a couple of holes killed the score, including a lost ball that looked to have landed about 1 foot off the fairway.

BrisWesty
26th February 2006, 10:45 PM
Gailes today (for the first time)
Errant driver for first 9, but ended up hitting 8 fairways.
Almost drove the 4th (what sort of silly game is this, couldn't reach a par 3 with driver at Redcliffe, almost reached a par 4 at Gailes).
5 GIRs, but 9 pars, so lots of good up & downs.
Found lots of bunkers, and sand saved out of 4 of them.
In too much tree trouble today.
14/19 = 33 points - bad first 9, good back 9

Moe Norman
26th February 2006, 10:51 PM
it amazes me that BV can hit 8 GIR and still shoot 79. If I hit 8 GIR I shoot 85+ without doubt.

amanda
27th February 2006, 08:27 AM
Woohoo - golflink records now show me at 20.4 - first time at 20! Haven't checked the paper yet to see if I won with my 41 pts.

Edit - bugger - done by 43 pts from a 32-capper. Strangely enough - winning mens score was 39 pts!

McMw
27th February 2006, 09:33 AM
another shocker yesterday - this time, the front 9 did me in...
42-38, with 4 doubles, a triple, 2 birds and 2 missed 2-2.5 footers...
was 1 under the nine on the back till I finished double-par-double...

well, at least 2 positives...back 9 play is improving, and my comp scores are going in the right direction... :lol:
nothing wrong with my social round scores...

BrisVegas
27th February 2006, 10:04 AM
it amazes me that BV can hit 8 GIR and still shoot 79. If I hit 8 GIR I shoot 85+ without doubt.

It's not that extraordinary. Someone like stoney would have prob shot par with those GIR numbers....

Also, I count a GIR as on the actual green, not "effective appraoches". There were another 5-6 that were only a foot or two off the green. In theory.... you should be able to get up and down at least half the time you miss a green. I only managed 3/10 yesterday due mainly to poor putting.

Moe Norman
27th February 2006, 10:22 AM
I hit 14 GIR and at least 12 of them were within 20 feet of the pin, and I only had one stroke lss than you!

and the greens I was on were perfect!

now I'm recording stats, I'm just going to call it a GIR if I use my putter for the next stroke.

BrisVegas
27th February 2006, 10:31 AM
It's hard to comment on your stats if they're not done the same way as the pro's...

Moe Norman
27th February 2006, 10:43 AM
these ones were done the same, hit 11 putting surfaces in regulation and 3 in under regulation. the 4 I missed were by considerable margins....

I guess your 'effective approaches' would be a better way to look at it.

brad
27th February 2006, 12:29 PM
Played Bardwell Valley with Dan, Anthony and Dan's mate - 2nd group to Jim, Amanda, Grant and Jono. First major game back and scored 36 points.

Had 5 putts for birdie, 3 from within a metre (one from just over a foot :smt087 ) and miss em all. Well still had a great day and really enjoyed some of my shots.

Flowergirl
27th February 2006, 04:11 PM
Woohoo - golflink records now show me at 20.4 - first time at 20! Haven't checked the paper yet to see if I won with my 41 pts.

Edit - bugger - done by 43 pts from a 32-capper. Strangely enough - winning mens score was 39 pts!

Woohoo Mandy. 20.4!!!!!! You better not get to 18 before me:smt002

Grunt
27th February 2006, 06:53 PM
Bad luck Amanda you needed a few more points for the win 43 won the ladies prize. Hope it was not any of that group that yelled out to me just as I was hitting the ball on the 15th hole, B*tches!!!!

amanda
28th February 2006, 08:19 AM
Still happy to be down to 20.4 - can't win them all the time - I've had about 20 prizes in the last 4 yrs - so I can't really complain!