PDA

View Full Version : Pure Performance - Putter Fitting

Dotty
14th June 2014, 08:55 PM
I've started a second Pure Performance thread, to deal specifically with their putter fitting.

Many Sydney OzGolfers have already visited Pure Performance for a driver fitting, and some for a full bag fitting. In return, Pure Performance donated prizes for the recent NSW OzGolf Champs, in addition to last year's prizes. This year, former loose cannon Matty won both long drives (and a drive and pitch) with a driver fitted and supplied by PPGL in February.

This afternoon, I was able to take advantage of one of these prizes and had a one-hour putter fitting session. (More details on my actual session later.)

Contact info ...
www.pureperformancegolflabs.com.au (http://www.pureperformancegolflabs.com.au/)

Email addy:
paul@ppgl.com.au

ps. Please keep this thread civil, relevant to the topic and remember that PPGL is providing something different to your club pro, retail chains, online sellers or your mate looking to sell a putter. (They also donate to our champs.)

Captain Nemo
14th June 2014, 09:20 PM
How'd it go Dotty?
Awesome setup in the putter fitting room, well worth the visit.

Dotty
14th June 2014, 10:38 PM
Background - 5 years of C-grade, 20 years of B-grade, then 5 years of 'high A'-grade, due to increased games, spending and practice.

I've generally always gone back to Anser style, with the occasional mallet, blade and monster (Cobra Optica). No hesitation to fiddle with weight, length, grip, etc., but must be metal faced. Currently using a 35" Mizuno heel-shafted mallet.

Last weekend at the NSW Champs, I realised that I had never been fitted for a putter, but just bought what felt good and within budget. My goal was to finish top 2, and a chance for the PPGL prize. (Ironically, three 3-putts at Bonville saw me miss out, but was able to do a prize swap with 2nd place.)

This morning, I booked an afternoon session at PPGL, via their website ...

I wanted to know what style putter suits me best, with respect to neck, length, weight, etc. Also try some of the recent fads of super-stroke grips and counterbalancing, which felt okay on the demo racks in pro shops. I knew PPGL were aligned Machine and Edel putters, and half-anticipated being given the spec-sheet to build a very expensive CNC'ed putter from the US.

A lot took place over an hour (so I won't bore you with every detail) ...

Upon arrival, the pro looked at my existing putter, asked about my frequent misses (short online and occasional pull) and checked my putter alignment with a laser pointer. Alignment was spot-on everytime, which is an indication of a head and neck shape suiting my eye.

Then onto the video, whilst putting, which identified my eyes were a long way back from the ball, shoulders open and the putter toe was raised. He suggested shortening my putter to bring the eyes over the ball, and I had queries about clubhead feel, etc. We did a couple of drills. With the various Edel components, he was able to build putter that mimicked mine in style, angles and weight.

Then on the clone, he changed to a 33" shaft, added a weight plug down this shaft and later a counterweight to the end.

We then went to the other putting green to get an indication of my distance putting. Everything being short of target was an indication of a flaw in technique, with the wrists breaking to move the ball along. This was supported by good results with 5' putts, with most of them dying in the hole. (In hindsight, my good scores are often when I miss greens and chip close, rather than GIRs. I'm also renown for missing the first putt by 6-8 feet, then sinking the next.) A lot more time was spent on technique, and getting the putter to work as a pendulum.

He suggested that, if I like, he can cut down my putter and insert the head and counter-weight. I could keep the mid-size Ping grip or go for something larger to reduce the wrist-break. His recommendation was a Super-stroke 3.0 or even a flat front (there were 30+ demo putters with various grips in their putter room to get a proper feel), and I felt most comfortable with the 1.0. It was pointed out that the 1.0 was not sufficient to reduce my wrist break. So, we went with the 2.0.

I had the opportunity to ask more questions, before committing to anything, especially as I was getting a heel-shafted pendulum putter, rather than the usual centre or double-bend shaft.

My putter was modified, and we kept doing drills to fix my shoulder alignment, as the glue dried.

I had doubts driving home, mostly about the grip (as the super-stroke looks unnatural). After a couple of putts on the lounge room carpet, it feels great and feels like I could gauge speed better on slow greens, by using momentum rather than speeding up the hands.

The proof will come in the next few weeks.

Overall, a great experience and highly recommended.

matty
15th June 2014, 12:00 AM
Good write up Dotty. Great experience being fitted for a putter.

Dotty
15th June 2014, 06:19 AM
Good write up Dotty. Great experience being fitted for a putter.
For me, a lot better than the driver fitting*.

At $99 for the hour, it works out cheaper than an hour with a club or driving range pro. Plus there is all the technology, the 'Mechano/Lego' component system and a wide variety of demo putters (rather than 3-4 identical ranges from the OEMs). To do similar outside PPGL, would be a very hit and miss affair with the limited choices and reluctance to modify putters off the rack, without a guaranteed sale.

At $133, the modifications worked out the same as what I usually spend on a putter. And I've bought a lot of superceded and 2nd hand putter over the years (and a couple of $200 new ones).

* As most are aware, my driver swingspeed is very low and realise that one can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so the driver fitting was more to cross it off the bucket-list. The process did find what suited me best, and how to swing the club better, but I already hit most fairways and the extra metres (and tighter dispersion) still wouldn't put me on more greens-in-reg. But for someone that sprays the driver and sick of taking drops or hitting out of trees, the PPGL driver fitting would be the bees knees.

KristianJ
15th June 2014, 07:07 AM
The SS 2.0 (choice of the 2014 NSW putting champ)...were you encouraged to adopt any particular gripping technique, or are you sticking with whatever grip you've used previously?

Dangals
15th June 2014, 08:18 AM
nice write up Dotty - I agree with your assessment of their fitting setup. I had done a proper fitting prior to doing my full bag and it was great that they were able to confirm what I had been fitted for previously was correct and for the rest of the time we spent focusing more on fine tuning my setup/technique to give me better consistency.

I firmly believe that a proper putter fitting is an absolute must as a properly fitted putter will definitely shave strokes off your round.

Captain Nemo
15th June 2014, 01:42 PM
Good to see it all worked out well mate.
I thought you putted well with that Mizuno last time we played, getting it specced right will only make it better.
Stick with it!

Stuartd147
15th June 2014, 01:47 PM
Well done Dotty. When I did my full bag fitting a few months back I was looking forward to doing the putter bit to find that my putter fitted me really well. They were fine not making a sale and it was re-assuring that I needed to just trust the equipment I already had….Stu

Dotty
20th June 2014, 10:32 PM
One week on ...

The super-stroke grip is evil. (Three 3 putts in the first 4 holes last Sunday, for a total of 40 putts, with zero 1 putts. It didn't help that I was writing a review rather than practicing with the new combo.) No control on distance nor direction. Promptly introduced it to my trusty friend, Stanley Knife, and returned mid-size grip to the Mizuno.

Rather than giving up, I installed super-stroke on a Ping B60 (curvy anser), that I 'replicated' to PPGL specs. Cutdown to 33", a headless bolt (with slithers from a cedar venetian to stop it rattling) down the shaft and a dynabolt in the butt. Finished the grip with some black Karakal overtape from the local squash centre, to tidy up the opened stitches down the spine and the white plastic look. Goes well and a good training aid to stop me flipping my putts, but too awkward / self-conscious to put into comp.

Then put the same overtape on the midsized Ping grip on the heel-shafted Mizuno and it feels great. I did 30 mins practice on the way to work the last couple of days, and it is a clear winner.

Interestingly, while at the club, I had a swing of a standard 35" putter of their rack. It now feels so wrong.

IanO
20th June 2014, 11:50 PM
Great review Dotty. When I get back from Prague I am going to see them for a full fitting for a new set of clubs. I think I should get a putter fitting done as well.