PDA

View Full Version : A-League 2014/15

coalesce
12th June 2014, 12:51 PM
The draw for the A-League has been revealed

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/season-201415-hyundai-a-league-draw-revealed/9xpbgrhrqxeh1bxddawu6vvqp

Not sure whether I'm expecting anyone to actually care :)

LeftyHoges
12th June 2014, 01:50 PM
I'd love to get into the A-League, but in comparison to EPL it's just so ****ing boringly slow and painful to watch.

Pass.

coalesce
12th June 2014, 02:09 PM
I'm interested in it because I've gone to a few Adelaide games since coming here and it is a decent atmosphere and they try and play football. Plus they have players with amusing names like Jeronimo.

I don't have much interest in watching it on TV, but that is also true of the EPL given I prefer sleeping during the early hours of the morning :)

Mind you, I used to go and watch Watford so it isn't like I've dropped the standard that much.

LeftyHoges
12th June 2014, 02:14 PM
I'm interested in it because I've gone to a few Adelaide games since coming here and it is a decent atmosphere and they try and play football. Plus they have players with amusing names like Jeronimo.

I don't have much interest in watching it on TV, but that is also true of the EPL given I prefer sleeping during the early hours of the morning :)

Mind you, I used to go and watch Watford so it isn't like I've dropped the standard that much.

Yep. Any club who would voluntarily have Manuel Almunia as their no. 1 choice keeper is asking for trouble.

coalesce
12th June 2014, 02:17 PM
Yep. Any club who would voluntarily have Manuel Almunia as their no. 1 choice keeper is asking for trouble.

He was actually really good for us and his time with us coincided with the defence being a lot more solid as they had confidence in what he was going to do/not do. Contrast that with when we had Scott Loach who was a decent stopper, but never came off his line unless he was making a mistake.

Mind you, Almunia is gone now, and we've signed Heurelho Gomes!

LeftyHoges
12th June 2014, 03:08 PM
He was actually really good for us and his time with us coincided with the defence being a lot more solid as they had confidence in what he was going to do/not do. Contrast that with when we had Scott Loach who was a decent stopper, but never came off his line unless he was making a mistake.

Mind you, Almunia is gone now, and we've signed Heurelho Gomes!

Jesus, if you had said to me you'd got rid of Almunia for a former PL keeper, there's no possible way I would've thought you could've downgraded. But there you go.

coalesce
12th June 2014, 03:35 PM
Jesus, if you had said to me you'd got rid of Almunia for a former PL keeper, there's no possible way I would've thought you could've downgraded. But there you go.

Whilst I agree with you, I still think its a decent signing for a mid table Championship club, and Almunia was getting more injury prone and was out of contract

LeftyHoges
12th June 2014, 03:40 PM
Whilst I agree with you, I still think its a decent signing for a mid table Championship club, and Almunia was getting more injury prone and was out of contract

Oh, absolutely, yeah. I'm sure you'll have bigger problems on the pitch than Gomes between the sticks. (Not a knock on Watford, saying that Gomes is still decent) :)

coalesce
12th June 2014, 03:46 PM
Maybe I should start a Watford thread :)

Back on the A-League tho, with David Villa coming to play for Heart, err I mean City for 10 games, does that make them a contender for this year? Not sure their owners would bother buying them if they didn't think they could make them successful - I'd be expecting them to get a decent marquee player too.

What about the other clubs? Can any of the other clubs afford a guest and/or marquee player that would actually be any good? :)

coalesce
25th July 2014, 08:23 PM
I'm currently at the Adelaide United v Malaga game at Adelaide Oval

Malaga just scored but really should be 4-0 up. This could be a cricket score

Pencil
25th July 2014, 11:33 PM
Didn't Wellington knock over West Ham, pre season means squat

coalesce
26th July 2014, 08:50 AM
We'll it finished 5-1 and it could have been much worse. We have FFA cup against Wellington soon so that will be interesting

Adelaide Oval is a great stadium but really not suited to soccer

coalesce
16th December 2014, 10:56 PM
Take that Perth Glory WAnkers.

Adelaide United - inaugural FFA Cup winners!!