PDA

View Full Version : Game Golf Review.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Marto65
12th June 2014, 09:56 AM
Thought I'd do a quick review of the game golf system.

Game Golf tracks your play on the course and provides valuable feedback as to distances hit among other things.

The system itself is easy to use, as is the editing software.

I really like the 'compare stats' part of the software ... 31112

There are a couple of limitations, but I think in time they will be easily ironed out at the editing end.

The system will provide a good record of rounds at different courses ... something I wish I had a couple of years ago ... would have been great to have it while travelling.

Steve57
12th June 2014, 10:04 AM
There have been some negative comments on the net to say that it is not that accurate.
How have you found it Marto? Courty?

Marto65
12th June 2014, 10:14 AM
It's not that bad .... things that might put off the accuracy would be fat guts (as the device is worn on the belt) or an abundance of trees.

The editing part of it makes it easy to fix up anyway ..

Buzz
12th June 2014, 10:46 AM
I'm really interested in this but it's not generally available yet in Australia, right?

Also does the belt unit get in the way swing wise?

Marto65
12th June 2014, 10:48 AM
Nah .. you dont notice the belt unit on at all.

Not yet available here ... get someone in the US or UK to buy it and ship it here.

Steve57
12th June 2014, 10:58 AM
Both Rockbottom and Global Golf have it and are willing to ship to Australia.

simmsy
12th June 2014, 10:58 AM
Marto could u put the unit on your buggy?
How long from when u "tapout" to when u need to hit it?

coalesce
12th June 2014, 10:59 AM
Nah .. you dont notice the belt unit on at all.

Not yet available here ... get someone in the US or UK to buy it and ship it here.

Looking at the prices and the exchange rates, it would be considerably cheaper to get it from the US

Marto65
12th June 2014, 11:00 AM
Marto could u put the unit on your buggy?
How long from when u "tapout" to when u need to hit it?

There is no time limit ... the unit could sit on your buggy. But then, you wouldnt get accurate readings on the green as to where you hit it.

simmsy
12th June 2014, 11:10 AM
U tap it on every putt yeah?

Buzz
12th June 2014, 11:28 AM
What happens if you miss a tap, does that screw the whole round?

Buzz
12th June 2014, 11:29 AM
Both Rockbottom and Global Golf have it and are willing to ship to Australia.

Nice tip I will have to check that out tonight. Maybe we really should do a group buy! :)

Marto65
12th June 2014, 11:46 AM
Guys .. you can tap it with every putt ... but you can edit it after the game or just tap it once you have putted out.

I tap it when I get to the green and mark my ball .. then tap it again later depending on the number of putts.

coalesce
12th June 2014, 11:46 AM
Nice tip I will have to check that out tonight. Maybe we really should do a group buy! :)

If you do, I could be tempted

Marto65
12th June 2014, 11:56 AM
Guys ... the reason I bought this is so when I go to different places to play, I have more of a record of how and where I went. For this ... it is ideal.

You may have other reasons ...

Some of the stats are limited and can be misleading. I wouldn't buy it for that.

As a device to help improve your game ... may have a little value in course management and knowing what club to hit ...

Assess your own reason for getting it before you purchase.

Oh ... and it's good fun looking at other peoples rounds (read - Courty) and commenting on their game.

goughy
12th June 2014, 12:17 PM
Golf hoes need no legitimate reason to spend money frivolously!

Marto65
12th June 2014, 12:22 PM
I suppose it depends how much frivolous funds you have in your frivolous funds account.

goughy
12th June 2014, 12:39 PM
And whether you consider it frivolous or not.

coalesce
12th June 2014, 12:56 PM
Golf hoes need no legitimate reason to spend money frivolously!

This!

Plus it also qualifies under the tech gadget ho criteria too

Steve57
12th June 2014, 12:57 PM

I may be interested if we get enough interest.

Courty
12th June 2014, 02:53 PM
This device combines two of my interests... golf & tech gadgets. I've been geeking out over GameGolf ever since I first got wind of it some time back. I've always been an early adopter of things I see as good ideas, so I was always going to get one.

As Marto said, there are currently some (minor) limitations, but they can mostly be solved with back-end solutions requiring no effort from the user.

coalesce
12th June 2014, 05:42 PM
Both rockbottom & global golf will do a single unit for US$249 + US$32 shipped (both have a shipping discount code/offer) - roughly AU$300

If you increase it to 5, i.e. group buy, global golf's postage stays at US$32, but rockbottom goes up to US$64

coalesce
12th June 2014, 05:44 PM
Currently 3 on ebay (from the UK) for AU$250 including shipping

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Game-Golf-Digital-Tracking-System-Red-Black-NEW-Free-Shipping-/281358384513

Buzz
12th June 2014, 05:50 PM
How legit is that eBay one I wonder given it's cheaper

coalesce
12th June 2014, 05:54 PM
Not sure. Retail price in UK is GBP200 and US is US$249 (which is roughly GBP150).

If it is legit, my guess is that it was imported from the US first.

coalesce
12th June 2014, 07:29 PM
How legit is that eBay one I wonder given it's cheaper

I'll let you know when it arrives :)

Hatchman
12th June 2014, 08:11 PM
I'm a golf nerd and like tracking stats.
If it ends up with functions to be able to edit shots to Recovery or knock Down I would seriously think about buying it as I would be very interested in average distances for my clubs.
I play the knock down shot a number of times most rounds with various clubs that would affect the averages making it mute. A huge bonus would be if it could calculate these shots separately too.
I may be in a minority for this.

Courty
12th June 2014, 08:46 PM
If it ends up with functions to be able to edit shots to Recovery or knock Down I would seriously think about buying it as I would be very interested in average distances for my clubs.
I play the knock down shot a number of times most rounds with various clubs that would affect the averages making it mute. A huge bonus would be if it could calculate these shots separately too.

A simple workaround can be applied by setting one of the spares as a 'utility' to be tagged when playing anything other than a full shot. I've been considering trying it this weekend.

coalesce
12th June 2014, 08:47 PM

I know what you mean. I often use my 6i to punch out from trouble or my 8i for a bump and run. I figure that it will collect the stats so eventually could do anything. From what I've read their customer support is pretty good so maybe they are open to suggestions?

For example 80th percentile distance might be a better measure than average, etc, but until I get a go at it I can't say.

For me I like the visual representation of the round. I'm one of those players who struggles to remember an entire round. Now I'll be able to relive my mistakes again and again! :)

Courty
12th June 2014, 08:50 PM
I know what you mean. I often use my 6i to punch out from trouble or my 8i for a bump and run. I figure that it will collect the stats so eventually could do anything. From what I've read their customer support is pretty good so maybe they are open to suggestions?

http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/

For example 80th percentile distance might be a better measure than average

Something very similar has already been suggested (I recall 75th percentile being mentioned somewhere).

coalesce
12th June 2014, 08:55 PM
That was quick ;)

Hatchman
12th June 2014, 09:00 PM
A simple workaround can be applied by setting one of the spares as a 'utility' to be tagged when playing anything other than a full shot. I've been considering trying it this weekend.

By this are you suggesting I would have one of those bottons that are screwed onto the grip ends on my bag and tap that before playing the shot?

From a nerdy stats perspective I would be interested in knowing how often I played these shots with a particular club than the total number of times the shot was played hence the need to edit afterwards.

Courty
12th June 2014, 09:04 PM
By this are you suggesting I would have one of those bottons that are screwed onto the grip ends on my bag and tap that before playing the shot?

On your bag, on your hat, on your glove, in your pocket or any other method of attachment, yes. It's a possibility if you are concerned more with distance averages than how often you are using a certain club.

Steve57
12th June 2014, 09:54 PM
This device combines two of my interests... golf & tech gadgets. I've been geeking out over GameGolf ever since I first got wind of it some time back. I've always been an early adopter of things I see as good ideas, so I was always going to get one.

As Marto said, there are currently some (minor) limitations, but they can mostly be solved with back-end solutions requiring no effort from the user.Courty/Marto, how securely do the disks attach to the clubs? I would imagine that they would need to be pretty sturdy to handle being shoved in and out of the bag as much as they are?

Jackson
12th June 2014, 10:03 PM
Roughly how long does it take to edit your round and upload etc?

Marto65
12th June 2014, 10:04 PM
They screw in Steve. They are pretty sturdy.

You get 18 discs. I have set one of those discs to chip shots and another to mis-hits / trees. I can edit my round to reflect this after the round. I don't need to tap those ... as long as I tap it with something ...

Will try it this weekend.

Marto65
12th June 2014, 10:05 PM
Upload .. 2 minutes.

Edit ... maybe 5-10 tops.

GolfTourettes
13th June 2014, 12:10 AM
Def thinking about getting it!! Overall reviews are pretty sweet

Buzz
13th June 2014, 08:08 AM
I'll let you know when it arrives :)

Actually ordered ?

coalesce
13th June 2014, 09:10 AM
Actually ordered ?

Yep. Marked as dispatched already. Had some balance in my UK PayPal account so didn't get stung by FX rates

Buzz
13th June 2014, 11:04 AM
Yep. Marked as dispatched already. Had some balance in my UK PayPal account so didn't get stung by FX rates

Will look forward to hearing how it goes :)

coalesce
20th June 2014, 02:24 PM
My gamegolf unit arrived yesterday. It will get its first run out on Sunday!

coalesce
20th June 2014, 02:31 PM
Still available at the same price from the same seller here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Game-Golf-Digital-Tracking-System-Red-Black-NEW-Free-Shipping-/281358384513

coalesce
20th June 2014, 02:37 PM
Sorry for the triple post, but specifically a question for Marto65 and Courty.

I notice you have both set up at least one "generic" club for shots you aren't hitting 100%. Would you tag that generic club when doing things like chipping from off the green, i.e. anytime it is not a 100% shot?

Buzz
20th June 2014, 03:28 PM
Very tempted!!

coalesce
20th June 2014, 03:29 PM
My gamegolf unit arrived yesterday. It will get its first run out on Sunday!

Actually, no it won't. The course I'm playing (Mt Lofty) is not mapped

Steve57
20th June 2014, 03:30 PM
Still available at the same price from the same seller here:

Not according to the listing!

coalesce
20th June 2014, 03:33 PM
Not according to the listing!

Lack of sleep is getting to me today - I didn't notice all 6 were sold

Steve57
20th June 2014, 03:34 PM
No problem!

coalesce
20th June 2014, 05:34 PM
Actually, no it won't. The course I'm playing (Mt Lofty) is not mapped

Well that's impressive. I requested them to map the course at 3pm. They said it normally takes 2-4 weeks, but it was done in 2 hours! They must do it with google maps or something

Courty
20th June 2014, 05:42 PM
Sorry for the triple post, but specifically a question for Marto65 and Courty.

I notice you have both set up at least one "generic" club for shots you aren't hitting 100%. Would you tag that generic club when doing things like chipping from off the green, i.e. anytime it is not a 100% shot?

Yeah, that's a recent mod that Marto & I discussed. It came about by both of us hitting shots which, for one reason or another, mess with the average distances (ie. hitting a 7 iron into a tree resulting in a mapped distance of 14m, or playing a greenside punch with an 8 iron). You could carry the extra tags in your bag somehow, but I plan to just change the club when doing the post-round tidy-up.

Ashes
20th June 2014, 05:57 PM
Yeah, that's a recent mod that Marto & I discussed. It came about by both of us hitting shots which, for one reason or another, mess with the average distances (ie. hitting a 7 iron into a tree resulting in a mapped distance of 14m, or playing a greenside punch with an 8 iron). You could carry the extra tags in your bag somehow, but I plan to just change the club when doing the post-round tidy-up.

I was under the impression it didn't work off a basic avg distance, and ignored outliers to weed out mishits and half shots etc.

Buzz
21st June 2014, 09:21 AM
Looking forward to seeing some more rounds from users, good luck Coalesce with your inaugural game golf foray!

Courty
21st June 2014, 04:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing some more rounds from users, good luck Coalesce with your inaugural game golf foray!

I've just uploaded this mornings round (link in my signature below).

Buzz
21st June 2014, 08:24 PM
I've just uploaded this mornings round (link in my signature below).

What happened on the 6th?

Courty
21st June 2014, 09:14 PM
What happened on the 6th?

Had some tree trouble. You know, there was a gap... "I can make it through there!"

Buzz
22nd June 2014, 07:21 AM
Ahhhh I see. So did you tap the generic tag or amend it afterwards?

Courty
22nd June 2014, 07:45 AM
Ahhhh I see. So did you tap the generic tag or amend it afterwards?

Amended afterwards.

Marto65
22nd June 2014, 10:15 AM
Just posted yesterday's round.

Nice dome with the 3 wood off the third. Led to my only double for the day. (Add 1 to Mishits.).

Can't tell you what I had as it was my fireball round against Shadesy. But it started with a 3 and ends in 7 points ;).

coalesce
22nd June 2014, 03:36 PM
Can't wait to post my round for today but won't get a chance to edit it until later.

Suffice to say the device still works for choppers

coalesce
22nd June 2014, 06:16 PM
Round up - see signature.

Not overly impressed with the course mapping - as it is showing a lot of tees and greens in the wrong place (although don't be fooled too much as I missed the fairway a lot too).

Very easy to use once I remembered to tag, and very easy to edit afterwards. If in doubt I tagged multiple times and just deleted the extra ones.

I definitely think they need to let you flag your shots as not-100% as particularly chips around the greens become a bit meaningless. Also would be useful to flag a punch shot to get out of trouble. That way the shots that genuinely went 2m because you topped it are real!

But using this was so much better than trying to track everything in the Swing by Swing iOS app I was using, and less frustrating too!

coalesce
22nd June 2014, 06:20 PM
Compare the mapping on my round and Marto's. Marto's looks much clearer - partly because there's less trees around.

I guess it depends on the course, but it is worth pointing it out. I wouldn't be confident in it recording if I had been in a bunker on this course, but luckily I missed them all today!

Buzz
23rd June 2014, 08:14 AM
Looking forward to checking out your round coalesce once I am home and can use the PC rather than mobile ... I think your experience is going to be the most relevant to me :)

Marto65
23rd June 2014, 08:18 AM
Coalesce ...

You get 18 tags .... so you should have 4 tags to do with what you want ...

Make one of your tags punch/trouble shots ... then just use it when it comes to edit the round.

Courty
23rd June 2014, 08:26 AM
Coalesce ...

Make one of your tags punch/trouble shots ... then just use it when it comes to edit the round.

+1

Marto65
23rd June 2014, 08:49 AM
Compare the mapping on my round and Marto's. Marto's looks much clearer - partly because there's less trees around.

I guess it depends on the course, but it is worth pointing it out. I wouldn't be confident in it recording if I had been in a bunker on this course, but luckily I missed them all today!

I'd say it's a google earth problem ... how far out of town is that course?

coalesce
23rd June 2014, 10:01 AM
Coalesce ...

Yeah that's what I did - hybrid punch, iron punch, chip.

I drew the line at having chip, flop, bump n run - plus I'd have run out of tags :)

coalesce
23rd June 2014, 10:02 AM
I'd say it's a google earth problem ... how far out of town is that course?

Not that far. Its nearer to the CBD than most of the courses the guys play here.

I'll have a play on google maps later and see what it looks like there, compare it with your course, and others in the area.

Its not a course I'm likely to play very often so probably not a problem.

Buzz
23rd June 2014, 08:37 PM
Fascinating. Coalesce your stats give me confidence to try this out :)

There are four generics, right? I was thinking of using three chips, say SW chip, GW chip. PW chip. I like to try and chip one with half swing and vary the club, rather than one club and vary the swing. At the moment I roughly say 30m SW, 40m GW, 50m PW with my chips, but setting up Gamegolf this way would allow me to track this accurately?

I'd use the fourth for the generic punch out of trees.

coalesce
23rd June 2014, 08:56 PM
Fascinating. Coalesce your stats give me confidence to try this out :)

There are four generics, right? I was thinking of using three chips, say SW chip, GW chip. PW chip. I like to try and chip one with half swing and vary the club, rather than one club and vary the swing. At the moment I roughly say 30m SW, 40m GW, 50m PW with my chips, but setting up Gamegolf this way would allow me to track this accurately?

I'd use the fourth for the generic punch out of trees.

Hah thanks I think. Yeah there are 4 "spare" tags. I'm not quite sure how important the actual tags are because you can add more than 18 clubs and edit the shots when you review your round.

I just tagged with whatever club I actually used and edited it at home afterwards. Didn't even have the other tags with me.

Marto65
24th June 2014, 08:24 AM
WOW !!!

They have just released an "Analysis" part of the software .... Tee Shots and shots to the green .... looks fantastic.

http://www.gamegolf.com/analysis

Steve57
24th June 2014, 08:28 AM
WOW !!!

They have just released an "Analysis" part of the software .... Tee Shots and shots to the green .... looks fantastic.

http://www.gamegolf.com/analysis

Can't get to that link Marto without a login!

Marto65
24th June 2014, 08:42 AM
Will try to take some screen shots later...

Courty
24th June 2014, 09:04 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/24/ynuhyby4.jpg

Jackson
24th June 2014, 09:16 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/24/ynuhyby4.jpg

How does it work out how close your approaches were without knowing pin position?

Marto65
24th June 2014, 09:23 AM
You can edit the pin position in the editor before you submit your round.

Courty
24th June 2014, 09:28 AM
You can edit the pin position in the editor before you submit your round.

Wot he said.

Courty
24th June 2014, 09:30 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/24/8ynyse5e.jpg

coalesce
24th June 2014, 10:25 AM
How does it work out how close your approaches were without knowing pin position?

I noticed when editing my round that you could move the hole. I didn't bother tho because the mapping for my course was pretty bad it made it impossible, plus I can't remember that sort of detail!

coalesce
24th June 2014, 10:28 AM
Must read whole thread before replying!

Here's my driving stats based on one pretty crappy round :)

Buzz
24th June 2014, 12:26 PM
So awesome!!!!!!

Marto65
24th June 2014, 02:36 PM

Driver Stats ... then 175-200m from green stats (I love my hybrids).

coalesce
24th June 2014, 02:43 PM
Courty, Marto65 - when you completely mess up a shot, do you leave it assigned to that club, e.g. I had a drive that I topped 50m. Obviously, that is going to affect my driving average.

having said that, if you start removing shots, where do you stop?

Buzz
24th June 2014, 02:49 PM
I wondered about this issue too

Marto65
24th June 2014, 02:51 PM
If I cold top a 3 wood ... or if a shot hits a tree ... I use my 'mis-hit' disc.

I leave all 'average' shots on ... but I know what you mean ...

I'm really looking for how far my shots go on avg ..

Courty
24th June 2014, 02:52 PM
Personally, I've decided that I'll use the normal club tag if I make reasonable contact and don't get a rebound or deflection (e.g. tree). So I only use the 'Mishit' tag when I hit one massively fat (like I have a couple of times in the last few rounds thanks to the really soft ground) or smack one into a tree.

Courty
24th June 2014, 02:53 PM
Basically what Marto said, but more eloquently worded. 😉

Marto65
24th June 2014, 02:54 PM
Basically what Marto said, but more eloquently worded. 

You're such a trucking wordsmith...

coalesce
24th June 2014, 02:57 PM
I'm slightly uncomfortable with the concept of using a different tag for things like this because I'm losing data by not being able to go back and see which club I actually did use.

As Marto said, I'm more interested in tracking the distances. Now what would be cool is if you could export the shot data so you can do your own analysis on it!

Courty
24th June 2014, 02:58 PM
I'm sure exporting has been suggested in the support forums already.

Buzz
24th June 2014, 05:31 PM
From viewing your data ... Doesn't it give you a graphic anyway with a bandwidth that shows the mishits with each club ?

Marto65
24th June 2014, 05:33 PM
From viewing your data ... Doesn't it give you a graphic anyway with a bandwidth that shows the mishits with each club ?

Yep. Sure does. Being a recent innovation from them I might rethink it but will see.

Hatchman
24th June 2014, 07:00 PM
I like the recent stats pages posted that shows fairways and greens hit/miss.

Been looking a few of the mapped rounds than it got me thinking? How does it go on a 9 hole course? Does it get messy making it harder to edit?

coalesce
24th June 2014, 08:01 PM
There's a q&a on their support page about 9/18/27 holes. If the holes have different tee boxes I think it would be ok

Kapunda isnt mapped so I can't check. You could request it?

Courty
24th June 2014, 08:06 PM
I just played 12 holes this afternoon and mapped it. I haven't seen any issues with the partial round so far...

Steve
24th June 2014, 08:15 PM
I am getting the picture that you gents are hitting then tagging,, would this be correct? Also just looking at Marto's player thing on the game golf site, just wondering How accurate are the stroke maps.

Courty
24th June 2014, 08:18 PM
I am getting the picture that you gents are hitting then tagging,, would this be correct? Also just looking at Marto's player thing on the game golf site, just wondering How accurate are the stroke maps.

I've been getting into the habit of tagging before I hit, but it works either way as long as you are standing where you are playing your next shot from. I'd estimate that I've made fine adjustments to about 30-40% of shots... often when there's trees close by (I gather some satellites can get blocked out reducing accuracy).

coalesce
24th June 2014, 08:25 PM
I tag before I hit but sometimes after if I can't remember if I tagged before or not!

You can move shots when you upload your round anyway, so you could tag anywhere if you forget I guess.

The map for the course I played was pretty average so I struggled to see whether I needed to move anything!

coalesce
24th June 2014, 08:26 PM
You can also add shots when you upload the round if you forgot to tag them, e.g. putts

Buzz
24th June 2014, 08:29 PM
How comprehensive is the documentation that comes with it?

Marto65
24th June 2014, 08:36 PM

Steve. My course has gone under renovations recently. The google maps info could be 5 years old and some greens have moved. So the mapping will be out a little on 3 or 4 holes.

BroKar
24th June 2014, 08:42 PM
you guys have talked me into it, i have one on the way

Buzz
24th June 2014, 08:43 PM
you guys have talked me into it, i have one on the way

Where did you order from BroKar?

BroKar
24th June 2014, 08:44 PM
rockbottomgolf with a few other things, bought some clothes

Courty
29th June 2014, 05:49 PM
And some more new stuff in the 'Analysis' section:

http://i.imgur.com/zsPfL0q.png

Steve
29th June 2014, 05:51 PM
I have one in bound.

Volts
29th June 2014, 06:07 PM
I have gotten 2 rounds from 1 charge. No idea how close I came to running out. Support Centre says the average battery life is approx 10 hours. Has anyone had any battery issues?

Buzz
6th July 2014, 12:59 PM
Those with incoming orders, have they been delivered? How long was the shipping? Considering ordering in the next day or so.

GolfTourettes
6th July 2014, 07:31 PM
Those with the device can we have some more reviews now that you've been using them a while now. Cheers

PeteyD
6th July 2014, 07:37 PM
the more you guys show of this thing the more I like it.

Steve
6th July 2014, 07:51 PM
5 days postage

Steve
6th July 2014, 07:53 PM
I have used for 2 rounds now, very impressed. First round took ages to manage on upload, second round was done in ten minutes or so.

Buzz
6th July 2014, 08:40 PM
Where from Steve?

And +1 to GolfTourettes and PeteyD

Steve
6th July 2014, 08:42 PM
Rock bottom golf in the states, only took them total of 7 working days 2 for process 5 for post.

Courty
6th July 2014, 08:57 PM
Those with the device can we have some more reviews now that you've been using them a while now. Cheers

Is there anything in particular you would like to know?

I'm quite happy with mine so far. Some notes:

- play some practice holes when you first get it to work out how you tag it without upsetting your existing shot routine. Don't forget that you can just as easily tag after a shot has been played.
- when doing your post-round editing, double-check everything. Once you've 'signed' the round, you can't change anything except add comments. Note that this may change later on, going by some comments in the support forums.
- I have added a tag for mishits, but this is a personal preference thing. The more I use it the more I'm beginning to think that it isn't necessary.
- I haven't tried playing 36 with it between charges, although Volts has and said it lasted ok.
- My biggest question as of right now is whether it will hold up to moisture when summer comes back around. I guess time will tell.
- They are constantly adding new features in the software, such as the recent addition of the 'Analysis' tab on the site.

Buzz
6th July 2014, 09:23 PM
Hmmm Courty the moisture question is a big one, its been wet and dreary down here for weeks :/ I assume the only concern is the belt unit?

Courty
6th July 2014, 09:28 PM
Hmmm Courty the moisture question is a big one, its been wet and dreary down here for weeks :/ I assume the only concern is the belt unit?

Yeah, absolutely. It appears to be a sealed unit except for the USB connector (rubber cover), but summers get stupidly humid here, which is not good for anything electronic.

Steve
6th July 2014, 09:41 PM
I wiill put mine in a zip lock bag and for humid bag with a jell pouch in it.

Courty
6th July 2014, 09:42 PM
I will put mine in a zip lock bag

Good thinking, Steve. I might do the same, and then keep it in my pocket.

Buzz
7th July 2014, 07:01 AM
One more question ... Can you do a specific hole review ... Showing every time you have played that hole over "career" ??

Courty
7th July 2014, 07:58 AM
One more question ... Can you do a specific hole review ... Showing every time you have played that hole over "career" ??

Not yet, but I'm sure it has been suggested in the support forum already.

Buzz
7th July 2014, 08:07 AM
Thanks ... Just thought of one more! My putter is so old us doesn't have a hole for the tag ... Is this a problem or do putts not get tagged anyway? I'm thinking it is probably an issue because then I won't finish holes.

Courty
7th July 2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks ... Just thought of one more! My putter is so old us doesn't have a hole for the tag ... Is this a problem or do putts not get tagged anyway? I'm thinking it is probably an issue because then I won't finish holes.

Have you ever heard of duct tape? ;)

Seriously though, it's not a big deal if your memory is good, as you can add all your putts and pin location post-round.

Buzz
7th July 2014, 09:08 AM
Excellent .... Duct tape it is! Will break out my inner MacGuyver :)

BGH
7th July 2014, 09:16 AM
A common complaint with GG seems to be the accuracy of the GPS, has anyone here had any issues with that?

Do you think it would ever get to the level where you could get everything right on the course without having to adjust stuff after the round?

Is there any way to add penalties during your round? Are you able to assign one of the tags to be a penalty shot?

Courty
7th July 2014, 09:28 AM
A common complaint with GG seems to be the accuracy of the GPS, has anyone here had any issues with that?

Do you think it would ever get to the level where you could get everything right on the course without having to adjust stuff after the round?

Is there any way to add penalties during your round? Are you able to assign one of the tags to be a penalty shot?

I've had no issues with accuracy in open areas, only where there is considerable tree cover. But that's not really a fault of the hardware.

I guess not having to adjust anything is certainly possible, but it'll always be worthwhile to check just in case. You still need to upload via PC and 'sign' for your round so there'll always be some level of post-round interaction required. The more you get familiar with the process, the quicker it becomes. I fully checked, edited and signed for Saturdays round in around 5 minutes (upload time not included).

Theoretically you could assign a tag to penalties, but it would still class them as a shot. When you edit the round you can assign penalties to specific shots. Have a look at the 5th hole of my round on Saturday just gone.

Steve
7th July 2014, 10:35 AM
I have seen in the shot menu, on the PC to tag a penalties. On the course you just double tap your shot.

BGH
7th July 2014, 02:17 PM
Pretty sure it's not a feature but I think when viewing a round it would be cool to see it played our shot by shot. I see that you can click on a specific hole and see the all the shots for that hole laid out, but it would be cool to start at hole one and see each shot getting displayed one after another with which club was used and how far it went.

Courty
7th July 2014, 02:30 PM
Pretty sure it's not a feature but I think when viewing a round it would be cool to see it played our shot by shot. I see that you can click on a specific hole and see the all the shots for that hole laid out, but it would be cool to start at hole one and see each shot getting displayed one after another with which club was used and how far it went.

You mean like an animated version?

I reckon the mobile app does a better job at this than the website (see below)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/07/qydega4u.jpg

BGH
7th July 2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah animated. Do either versions do that?

Courty
7th July 2014, 02:43 PM
Yeah animated. Do either versions do that?

Not without some kind of intervention, no. In the mobile version, you just swipe the shot details under the image to the left and it automatically displays the next one.

BGH
7th July 2014, 02:45 PM
Not without some kind of intervention, no. In the mobile version, you just swipe the shot details under the image to the left and it automatically displays the next one.

Close enough, that's pretty cool.

Buzz
7th July 2014, 08:23 PM
After negotiation with the Minister for War and Finance, GameGolf is now on the christmas list. Mutual decision, too many other things going on now ... and hopefully a lot of extra features will be added by then. Until then I will live vicariously through all of your GameGolf links :)

GolfTourettes
12th July 2014, 06:05 PM
Oh I want one of these soooo bad!!! Think it would actually free up my game a lot! Loving the reviews and screens

BGH
16th July 2014, 09:20 AM
Anyone been following the progress of the new player in the game Arccos? Seems to alleviate some of the downsides of Game Golf (while introducing a few of it's own).

https://arccosgolf.com/

http://breakingeighty.com/arccos-golf-preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAr8PIZmEQ

Courty
16th July 2014, 11:38 AM
Anyone been following the progress of the new player in the game Arccos? Seems to alleviate some of the downsides of Game Golf (while introducing a few of it's own).

https://arccosgolf.com/

http://breakingeighty.com/arccos-golf-preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAr8PIZmEQ

Interesting. I'd never heard of it until I just read your post.

coalesce
16th July 2014, 11:46 AM
I just read the preview (and his follow up hands on review) and I don't think there is anything there that Game Golf couldn't add themselves with a software update.

He makes a lot about forgetting to tap the game golf and the auto detection of the Arccos but I can't help but think that will just lead to similar issues. With the game golf it is just about using it enough that tagging becomes part of your pre-shot routine, and if you are in any doubt whether you have tagged, just tag again.

For me the benefit of Arccos is the editing of a round as you go, i.e. you can see if you have captured all your shots, but I kinda like reviewing my round afterwards, and once you get used to it, it doesn't take that long anyway.

The other benefits are the GPS part of the app (but you might have an app/device for this anyway) and the real time tracking of club lengths (would this be legal in competition?)

As I already have a game golf, I won't be rushing out to replace it with this, but it will be interesting if it prompts game golf to add more features to what they already have

Buzz
16th July 2014, 11:50 AM
Competition is a good thing I guess, but my immediate reaction was that it wouldnt be legal, live data is basically making a club recommendation?

BGH
16th July 2014, 11:56 AM
Yeah Arccos cant be used in comp rounds in it's current form

from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-12/golf-quants-shave-strokes-using-math-driven-data-analysis.html

Unlike Arccos, Game Golf can be used in competition because it doesn’t provide real-time data. The U.S. Golf Association, which helps write the rules of golf and is the organizer of this week’s U.S. Open, has said Arccos can’t be used in tournaments because the real-time information it provides on the golf course might provide an advantage.

“If you’re going to be able to access that during play, during that day, we just don’t think that’s the right thing,” John Bodenhamer, the USGA’s senior managing director of rules, competitions and equipment standards, said in a telephone interview from Pinehurst. “If it can help your game in the future and you can benefit from knowing what you’ve done that day, it’s absolutely fine. We think it’s a neat tool.”

3Puttpete
16th July 2014, 12:23 PM
Yeah Arccos cant be used in comp rounds in it's current form

from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-12/golf-quants-shave-strokes-using-math-driven-data-analysis.html

Unlike Arccos, Game Golf can be used in competition because it doesn’t provide real-time data. The U.S. Golf Association, which helps write the rules of golf and is the organizer of this week’s U.S. Open, has said Arccos can’t be used in tournaments because the real-time information it provides on the golf course might provide an advantage.

“If you’re going to be able to access that during play, during that day, we just don’t think that’s the right thing,” John Bodenhamer, the USGA’s senior managing director of rules, competitions and equipment standards, said in a telephone interview from Pinehurst. “If it can help your game in the future and you can benefit from knowing what you’ve done that day, it’s absolutely fine. We think it’s a neat tool.”

Stupid rule.

I hope the check all yardage books after each shot to make sure they're not taking notes about where their driver goes.

GolfTourettes
23rd July 2014, 04:50 PM
Soooo those using Game Golf... Has your game improved? Have you dropped shots?

coalesce
23rd July 2014, 05:27 PM
Haha no but it's helped me decide what I knew already - that my hybrids are not good for me

Courty
23rd July 2014, 06:04 PM
Soooo those using Game Golf... Has your game improved? Have you dropped shots?

:lol:

Steve
23rd July 2014, 09:03 PM
I have found that as soon as I start to play poor during a round, I forget to tag my shots. It's just not an auto part of the routine yet.

GolfTourettes
27th July 2014, 07:39 AM
Anyone out there with experience with Arccos? Game Golfs competition!

If ya never heard of it search Arccos. Pretty cool but I believe Game golf is better and it's $150 less!

Buzz
27th July 2014, 09:42 AM
Arrrrgh I cant resist anymore ... so rockbottomgolf is the way to go??

Courty
27th July 2014, 10:20 AM
Anyone out there with experience with Arccos? Game Golfs competition!

If ya never heard of it search Arccos. Pretty cool but I believe Game golf is better and it's $150 less!

My understanding is that Arccos is still in development, and it won't be legal in competition play so that kills off any interest for me.

GolfTourettes
27th July 2014, 10:29 AM

I'm feeling the same way mate!

Feelzy
27th July 2014, 02:15 PM

I'm feeling the same way mate!

Me three. I think I can hold out for a few more months though.

Buzz
27th July 2014, 02:46 PM
Exchange rate probably won't get any better though ...

coalesce
28th July 2014, 12:54 PM
Ok, so here's an example of some useful information that my game golf is giving me (other than that I chop a lot - but I knew that already).

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/coalesce

I've just changed the driver in my bag, so I now have stats for 2 rounds with each driver - and it is enough to start to quantify in numbers a pattern I'd already noticed on the course.

So that shows that I can hit the Cleveland driver further than the Cobra, but that my average distance with the Cobra is higher. The reason for this is that I wasn't hitting the Cleveland that well, so had a lot of shorter mishits.

Now we move to the analysis section for each driver

Cleveland:

Cobra:

The first stat I'm interested in is fairways hit. I am more accurate with the Cobra (52% compared to 32%). However I miss left with the Cobra, and miss right with the Cleveland.

The game golf gadget can't show this, but I have a habit with the Cobra of pulling the drive left - it goes in a straight line, but 15-20 degrees left of where I aimed. With the Cleveland, the misses right were generally due to a slice, or to adjusting my aim to the right to compensate for a draw, but not getting the draw. The other noticeable difference between the two drivers for me is the ball flight - I hit the Cobra high, and the Cleveland comes out much much lower - hence the extra length I guess.

What I think this all tells me is that I don't have the optimum driver for me. Game Golf is not going to be able to tell me what the optimum driver is, but it gives me some quantitative stats to help me see what's happening. However other than hoing, or going for a fitting, I'm not sure what the next step for me is...

Buzz
28th July 2014, 12:56 PM
Sold :)

Ps what are the red dots?

coalesce
28th July 2014, 01:09 PM
Sold :)

Ps what are the red dots?

They are where I have hit it way off to the side. Through the website if you hover over any of the dots it will tell you when and where you hit that particular shot

oncewasagolfer
28th July 2014, 01:14 PM
I might have to look at this as I'm a bit of a stats and tech geek:)

Buzz
28th July 2014, 01:27 PM
It's only a question now of who I order it through :)

Steve
28th July 2014, 05:41 PM
Got mine via rockbottom

Buzz
29th July 2014, 09:13 PM
Ordered!

s12raider
29th July 2014, 10:39 PM
Anyone got a coupon code for rock bottom as wanting to get this plus a 5 wood. Loking at global golf too.

Daves
30th July 2014, 08:53 AM
Anyone got a coupon code for rock bottom as wanting to get this plus a 5 wood. Loking at global golf too.

I don't think there are any current coupons for RBG, and only current ones for Global are for Shoes as far as I am aware.

Here are some links to their Promo pages;

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/coupon-page.html

http://www.globalgolf.com/promo/

Ankush
30th July 2014, 09:35 AM
It is also available at Amazon for 222 us dollars + shipping.

Buzz
30th July 2014, 09:38 AM
Great ... I just paid 249 plus shipping at RBG :(

Steve57
30th July 2014, 09:56 AM
It is also available at Amazon for 222 us dollars + shipping.
But will they ship to Australia?

Ankush
30th July 2014, 10:02 AM
Yes they will, shipping to Sydney is 8.45, so around 230 us$ shipped.

Ankush
30th July 2014, 10:05 AM
Thinking of getting one myself but it's between this or a rangefinder

Buzz
30th July 2014, 10:11 AM
geez I just blew $50 then :/

GolfTourettes
30th July 2014, 12:01 PM
Thinking of getting one myself but it's between this or a rangefinder

Rangefinders are shit.

You're gunna get ALOT more out of Game Golf for similar/less money

s12raider
30th July 2014, 12:04 PM
Buzz better to blow $50 on this than waste $50 on a tahs victory :-)
Thanks everyone for info. Just more tech stuff to spend on in hope it improves my game; ive yet to take out the sure shot launcher so will advise on this and how it.operates...

hippo10
31st July 2014, 12:40 PM
This looks awesome. Just to confirm, you can use this in comp rounds? Also what about having a 'flag' button that you tap when getting the ball out of the hole so that you have the exact pin position. Might need a back end software update though.

coalesce
31st July 2014, 01:05 PM
Yep its fine in comps as it doesn't give you any information during the round.

As it doesn't track putt lengths (is the GPS even accurate enough for this given where the device is and where you may be standing to actually tag it) I don't think it is a big deal that it doesn't track pin location. There's so much other information about a putt that it is never going to be able to track like slopes and grains that how useful is it really? I guess you could look at your scoring on a hole based on the pin position, but I don't think that's the kind of thing it is really trying to do.

hippo10
31st July 2014, 01:45 PM
Given that the greens are out in the open the accuracy should be pretty reasonable. I agree that you can't tell a lot of information about putts but it would be useful to have rough distances and to get some stats on how many first putts are short vs long etc.

coalesce
31st July 2014, 01:46 PM
Yeah put say you tag the "hole" by holding the flag - you could be anywhere approx 1m around the hole location. How would you expect it to track a 6 inch putt?

hippo10
31st July 2014, 02:07 PM
The problem being that my second putts are from potentially MUCH longer than 1m...

Buzz
31st July 2014, 02:56 PM
Mine is on it's way according to the UPS tracker!!

Question ... How does it know the ball is in the hole? Say I tag before a 3m putt and hole it, the next tag will be on the next tee ... Won't the unit think my putt has gone 50m :)

coalesce
31st July 2014, 03:04 PM
I think it recognises that you've changed hole by the location of the next shot being on the tee of the next hole.

Not sure what would happen if hole 2's tee area was next to hole 1's green and your approach shot went there.

You can always manually add/edit shots when you edit the round on your PC afterwards. There are other reasons you might need to do this, e.g. you didn't have a fix on enough GPS satellites and it got the location wrong

Courty
31st July 2014, 09:16 PM
This looks awesome. Just to confirm, you can use this in comp rounds?

Check the link in my signature below (I've been using it at Cairns GC).
The software automatically drops the flag location in the centre of the green. You can just drag it to the actual location during post-round editing.

IanO
5th August 2014, 06:24 PM
I have talked the better half into buying me one. Hopefully she has ordered it from Rock Bottom Golf today and it will arrive in Melbourne whilst I am there for a 2 week holiday.

Buzz
5th August 2014, 07:15 PM
Mine is due tomorrow !! :)

Steve
5th August 2014, 07:21 PM
Put your names up, when you've registered so we can follow you :)

Buzz
5th August 2014, 07:21 PM
Will do

Buzz
5th August 2014, 07:26 PM
Although all this will do is reveal I am ozgolf's shortest hitter :)

Steve
5th August 2014, 07:30 PM
No that Mr Bluu

Buzz
5th August 2014, 07:40 PM
Hahaha I very much doubt it!

Buzz
6th August 2014, 06:35 PM
Ok so now I am officially pissed off!

UPS attempts to deliver game golf package on Monday. I get a missed delivery note saying I can either pick it up from the depot, I can redirect it, or they can try again, but if they try three times they will return it to Sydney.

So I ring and say please redirect to my parents place, they are retired and will be home. No probs says the operator ... I'll get a second missed delivery note but will be delivered to the new address on the third day - today.

I get home just now, and have a third missed delivery note. Parents confirm it didn't go there.

UPS is now sending it back to Sydney, office hours are closed so nothing I can do.

Not .... Happy .... Jan !!!!!!!!

Steve57
6th August 2014, 06:50 PM
That is why I get everything delivered to work.
Even if I am not there it gets signed for and held for me.

Steve
6th August 2014, 08:46 PM
I do the same

Buzz
7th August 2014, 07:43 AM
Rang this morning, it fortunately had not left the building yet for Sydney ... hopefully will be redelivered today ... assuming they get it right this time.

Buzz
8th August 2014, 04:18 PM
How long does it take to set up for the first time? Not going to have a chance until tomorrow and I have a 9:42 tee slot.

coalesce
8th August 2014, 04:43 PM
You'll need to have charged the device before you can use it. Make sure you turn it on a few mins before you tee off to give it a chance to pick up the GPS signals.

From memory, for setup, it is about saying what clubs you have in your bag, and which tag you are using for them. I'm not actually sure you need to have done that before you play, but you will need to have done it before you upload your round. It should only take 5-10 minutes to do that, and I don't know that you need the device to do that bit, but I can't remember for sure.

Buzz
8th August 2014, 05:05 PM
Good point on charging ... Looks like no go for tomorrow ... Pissed off they delayed delivery !!

Courty
8th August 2014, 05:25 PM
How long does it take to set up for the first time? Not going to have a chance until tomorrow and I have a 9:42 tee slot.

You'll need to have charged the device before you can use it. Make sure you turn it on a few mins before you tee off to give it a chance to pick up the GPS signals.

From memory, for setup, it is about saying what clubs you have in your bag, and which tag you are using for them. I'm not actually sure you need to have done that before you play, but you will need to have done it before you upload your round. It should only take 5-10 minutes to do that, and I don't know that you need the device to do that bit, but I can't remember for sure.

You should be able to do the bag setup now. Just go to Gamegolf.com, setup an account, and choose which tags you are going to put on which clubs (just make sure you match the actual tags to what you enter on the site).

Buzz
8th August 2014, 05:28 PM
Just boarding a flight MEL-CBR then have to go straight out to dinner ... Won't even see the package until late tonight.

coalesce
8th August 2014, 05:31 PM
Its just a USB charger - you might be able to do that overnight?

Steve
8th August 2014, 05:47 PM
Four hours of charge as a min. You can set your bag up prior, most club tags are idiot proof. Just the extras are the ones you need to remember. Watch out for solid caps in the grip ends when you got to screw the tags in. Just push a tee in the grip end to check

Buzz
8th August 2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the advice gentlemen

BGH
15th August 2014, 12:19 PM
For those who didn't see it, it would seem GameGolf has another high-profile user

http://www.golfwrx.com/238475/spotted-president-obama-uses-game-golf/

coalesce
15th August 2014, 12:22 PM
Yeah but you can't follow his rounds because he's not made them public :(

On another subject, I notice there's a new tab when I log into the game golf website called "Challenges". I wonder if we can think of some good OzGolf ones...

Buzz
15th August 2014, 07:25 PM
Apologies if I or someone else asked this before but what happens if you pick up in stableford and match play ? Just adjust afterwards ??

IanO
15th August 2014, 07:42 PM
Put your names up, when you've registered so we can follow you :)

I will do so as I think it is only fair that others get to laugh at my misfortune, as I laugh at theirs :mrgreen:

Steve
15th August 2014, 07:44 PM
Apologies if I or someone else asked this before but what happens if you pick up in stableford and match play ? Just adjust afterwards ??

Best guess and amend at the edit stage

Steve
15th August 2014, 08:16 PM
@ buzz did you finally get yours

Buzz
15th August 2014, 08:17 PM
Yep but haven't had a chance to install yet

coalesce
26th August 2014, 04:21 PM
One thing that I realised with game golf from now playing the same course regularly, is that because the stats don't take into account elevation changes, that your average distances with each club could be distorted.

My club has a lot of holes that have a considerable elevation change. I noticed this when it flagged up a new long drive of 266m for me this week on the 9th hole, which has a large downhill slope, and I managed to nail one perfectly. Similarly, the 18th has a large downhill, and I hit a 3w on my second shot that got a great roll, and rolled through the back of the green and down a large slope onto the patio in front of the clubhouse (whoops!). I also did something similar with a 4i.

Now I'm not suggesting that they could or should do anything about this, but I will now bear in mind when looking at my average distances, that there will be some shots either artificially long or short, and that particularly where I don't use a club regularly, I shouldn't rely on only this gadget for keeping track of the distances I hit each club...

coalesce
27th August 2014, 10:54 PM
Another thing is that I can't put the plastic widget for the putter in my new tank cruiser as the weights get screwed in the end. Will have to carry it in my pocket and remember to tag :(

Buzz
28th August 2014, 06:46 AM
I have a similar issue because my putters too old with no hole in the top. Could it be taped on?

Vice MC
28th August 2014, 07:45 AM
I have a similar issue because my putters too old with no hole in the top. Could it be taped on?

Dont see why not..might look a bit funny? Some of the old boys at my club have their ball grabbers taped to the end of their putters!

Steve
28th August 2014, 08:10 AM
I drilled a hole in the end of my putter an fitted the tag

Daves
28th August 2014, 07:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzFauI_YwS0&list=UUZelGnfKLXic4gDP63dIRxw& index=6

Buzz
28th August 2014, 08:13 PM
Ringing endorsement there!

Obvious solution to the putter issue is just to get a new one :)

Steve
28th August 2014, 08:20 PM
I have loaded him as a player to follow. It is good to see his stats in M not Y. Not as impressive converted to metric. Don't take me the wrong way, still very good just not as

coalesce
28th August 2014, 09:32 PM
Ringing endorsement there!

Obvious solution to the putter issue is just to get a new one :)

It is a new one! Got to use it at least once before moving it on!

Buzz
28th August 2014, 09:54 PM
I meant my putter issue :) mine is 70 years old!

IanO
6th September 2014, 08:06 PM
I have just started using game golf and like it. As I have only played 3 rounds across 2 Australian courses and am yet to see how it goes on Czech coursesbut will hopefully try it out next weekend

coalesce
6th September 2014, 11:16 PM
I have just started using game golf and like it. As I have only played 3 rounds across 2 Australian courses and am yet to see how it goes on Czech coursesbut will hopefully try it out next weekend

You can check in advance on their website if it has your course. If it doesn't, email them and they will map it based on google maps in a few days max.

Buzz
7th September 2014, 07:28 PM
Finally will have a single comp round next week so hopefully will get my game golf operational!

IanO
8th September 2014, 04:13 PM
Tried it out Sunday afternoon at Golf Club Praha and the course is mapped. Everything worked well, except me.

My user name is IanO (and I am sucking at golf big time at the moment)

Steve
8th September 2014, 07:22 PM
I can't find you

Daves
8th September 2014, 07:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=067IRZm8S1o

IanO
9th September 2014, 06:45 AM

Daves
12th September 2014, 04:10 PM
My first round with Game Golf today, but seems to have been a failure. Everything seemed to work as described during the round, the only issue was me forgetting to tag shots. But when I got home and tried to download the round, nothing?? Transfer app starts, but doesn't open as such, and closes again within a few seconds?

coalesce
12th September 2014, 04:36 PM
What point does it get to? Does it show the round as on the device?

Daves
12th September 2014, 05:25 PM
What point does it get to? Does it show the round as on the device?

No. Starts, but doesn't actual open. It just sits in the Tray bar for a few seconds and then closes again.

coalesce
12th September 2014, 05:33 PM
Does the app run if you don't have the device connected? In other words does it say "No device connected"?

If so, are you saying the crash happens when you connect the device?

Steve
12th September 2014, 05:36 PM
You must have the app and the downloader to get a game off the device,

Daves
12th September 2014, 05:38 PM
Does the app run if you don't have the device connected? In other words does it say "No device connected"?

If so, are you saying the crash happens when you connect the device?

Connect the device and the Transfer app starts, but doesn't open ,and then closes again after a few seconds. I am assuming it doesn't register/recognise a round on the device, so close again? I have reinstalled the software, but makes no difference. And there is no round recorded for my account on the Game Golf site.

coalesce
12th September 2014, 05:42 PM
I'm trying to work out if it is the app that is the problem, or the device.

First things first - is this Windows Vista, 7 or 8? They do not support XP. Do you have the .NET Framework 3.5 (I think) installed/enabled?

You should have a shortcut to run the application either on your desktop or in the start menu. If you run that with the device unplugged, does the app run? If I remember right, you should see "No device connected" (or you might be asked to login to your gamegolf account first - I can't remember which).

Daves
12th September 2014, 05:43 PM
You must have the app and the downloader to get a game off the device,

Que? By App I assume you mean website account?

Windows 8. There is a short cut on the desktop, but I get the same result, starts but doesn't open.

Steve
12th September 2014, 05:55 PM
Yes the website thing, is you firewall or antiV stopping it?

coalesce
12th September 2014, 06:06 PM
Is there anything in the Event Viewer?

Daves
12th September 2014, 09:12 PM
Is there anything in the Event Viewer?

Just a whole heap of "Information" messages like this;

Receive Message: control 11, eventType 32768, eventData 2638816

coalesce
12th September 2014, 09:15 PM
You probably need to email them. From what I've heard they are normally pretty good at getting back to you. I'd say its the software install that is the problem tho

Vice MC
12th September 2014, 10:45 PM
Ordered mine express thru amazon today..any tips for when i get started

Daves
13th September 2014, 09:10 AM
You probably need to email them. From what I've heard they are normally pretty good at getting back to you. I'd say its the software install that is the problem tho

Yes they are. Got in touch and we ended doing a Screen share session this morning. Seemed to be a Windows authorisation problem with the log folder, which they (Jason) was able to eventually fix for me. 1st round now downloaded, now to see if I can still remember all the shots i forgot to tag!

Ordered mine express thru amazon today..any tips for when i get started

The website has heaps of instruction, help videos etc. It is all pretty straight forward.

Buzz
13th September 2014, 07:51 PM
Finally got it all set up ... first run with it tomorrow.

Daves
14th September 2014, 08:24 AM
OK, 2nd rounds in my initial observations are;

Very easy to use, but I am still struggling to remember to tap for every shot. I have been hesitant to tap too soon so far, but might start seeing how long before the shot i can tap and it will still work. Starting to remember that I can still tap after the shot.

The mapping of my home course seems to be wrong, in that they have some of the (adjacent) holes in the wrong sequence.

I wonder about the accuracy of the GPS, or perhaps more correctly the google overlay? it seems to be out quite a bit on a lot of shot positions. Which along with the wrong sequencing mucks with the statistical calculations.

It is surprising how few full shots I hit during a round.

Buzz
14th September 2014, 03:30 PM
Argh ... terrible conditions and terrible round for first run with Game golf. Avoided raising the bat by a lone shot. Poor ball striking all day. Positive was I didn't forget to tag once ... but I did tag twice on one shot (before and after)!

Buzz
14th September 2014, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah and I am Chris Mayne if anyone wants to follow me and feel better about their golf ;) I'm already following Coalesce!

Steve
14th September 2014, 04:12 PM
Got ya Buzz

coalesce
14th September 2014, 09:31 PM
If in doubt, tag multiple times and delete them later!

I have found on some courses it is a bit ropey with getting the locations right but I suspect it is GPS problems. At the course we played today, nadg63 had problems with his GPS device and on review of my round on game golf so did I...

Buzz
15th September 2014, 06:45 AM
I was pretty happy with the GPS accuracy at my course ... A couple of minor adjustments but I think it got 95% of the shots mapped correctly. Post round edit function is great though easy to use.

BGH
15th September 2014, 08:48 AM
Got a couple of rounds under my belt now. Slowly starting to get better at tagging, tagged about 75% of my shots in the last round as opposed to 50% in the first round. Tap in putts are the worst for remembering.

Wish there was some way to see average club distances from the analysis section.

coalesce
15th September 2014, 09:17 AM
I write down the number of putts on my scorecard for that reason so that when I edit the round I can easily add them on

Buzz
15th September 2014, 12:58 PM
That's a good idea ... I carried the putter tag in my pocket and tagged but it was a little clunky

Steve
15th September 2014, 02:06 PM
It shows your average distance for your clubs

BGH
15th September 2014, 06:04 PM
It shows your average distance for your clubs

Yeah but as far as I can tell, only on the main summary screen, and there you can't see when/which-hole a particular shot was when you hover over it. In contrast when you then go to "Analyse" you can see average distances off the tee and how far each individual shot went. But for everything else you cant see average club distances.

If I look at the main summary screen I can see that I have one really long 7 iron but can't tell which date/club/shot it actually relates to.

coalesce
15th September 2014, 06:18 PM
Suggest it to them. I've been meaning to suggest being able to see club distance regardless of whether it is off the tee or approaching the green, and ideally if it could show elevation change for each dot too. I'm just too lazy to have done it!

Steve
15th September 2014, 06:18 PM
Have a look under my golf bag. I'm sure it gives you the long and short plus the average of every club you have tagged like this.

goonie
15th September 2014, 06:45 PM
Could there be interference from wearing the GPS device on your belt?
I vaguely remember my Bushnell Neo taking a little while to update when I used to take it off my belt, no such issues now it's mounted to my buggy.
Maybe mounting the GPS unit to your buggy or bag might help.

coalesce
15th September 2014, 08:01 PM
I think nadg63's gps was buggy mounted. But yes I would imagine it is interference from something

Buzz
15th September 2014, 08:08 PM
Must download the app ! I've been looking web only.

Matt 3 Jab
19th September 2014, 04:43 PM
New user here

Matt4007

Feel free to add me!