PDA

View Full Version : NSW: 2014 Shots of the Champs

KristianJ
9th June 2014, 09:13 PM
Share moments of brilliance that you witnessed on course and believe are worthy of retelling.

For me, TS and his up and down on the 5th at Bonville from about 20-25m behind the green. Pitched, checked after a couple of bounces and ended up at tap in range. I haven't seen such a quality short game shot at a Champs since a certain shot in 2011...

benno_r
9th June 2014, 09:22 PM
I can't choose, so here are my top few:
TS on coffs 14. 20m off the green, dropped from the Hazard behind a tree. Bump and run for Tap in
TS on bonville 5. See above.
Any of DC's power hybrids from deep in the trees that missed everything through the 1 foot gaps.
DC trying to kill KJ and TS on bonville 15.

Dotty
9th June 2014, 10:01 PM
Peppas drive on the last at Coffs. We'd been waiting all day for one to hit the fairway. ;)
(Not exactly true, as he hit a beauty on the 25th, just to tempt him to persevere with the driver for the second nine.)

Dotty's opening drive on the 19th. 165-straighty and even PaigeRS giggled at it.

Rqrox and I had a good shootout on the par 3s at both courses. One with textbook irons. One with manufactured shots with anything, but an iron.

Daves
10th June 2014, 08:38 AM
A couple of good shots that turned bad and changed the course of the champs. Dotty's and RQrox's tee shots to the par 3 26th both looked to be totally on the money. But somehow they both ran though over the back, and left them with near impossible up and downs. What should have been an easy 2 or 3 pointer for both, ended as a wipe.

Peppas
10th June 2014, 09:03 AM
Dottys 5 wood approaches to numerous par 5s in the Coffs round... that man is money with a 5 wood approach shot!

Dotty
10th June 2014, 09:23 AM
Dottys 5 wood approaches to numerous par 5s in the Coffs round... that man is money with a 5 wood approach shot!
Cheers. A lot of pressure on those two holes, as a good drive and 4w still had me over 150 out.

Peppas just carried the pond on Coffs 3rd (after going down a club, from watching three others hit the green and run through), then sunk it off the green.

Daves 'pitch' on Bonville 6th, that looked 'serviceable' from a distance, only to realise how good it was, as we got closer.

jimandr
10th June 2014, 09:45 AM
Lots of good shots from my group at Coffs, particularly from SMS, but no great shots come to mind. Perhaps Lager's chip to 3 feet on our first (the dreaded 19th) was the best, considering what followed from him.

The definite shot of our group at Bonville was Anfield's putt from the front edge of the second par 3 (5th?). 40 odd feet, up a tier, smashed way too hard, but it hit the back of the hole, jumped in the air and in for bird. Again, considering what followed from him, this was the shot of the day.

jimandr
10th June 2014, 09:49 AM
I'm also prepared to nominate Dotty's shot into the last at Bonville. An absolute ripper in front of a large gallery. By far the best shot we saw into that green. In hindsight, the shot that made him NSW Resident Champion.

Dotty
10th June 2014, 11:14 AM
I'm also prepared to nominate Dotty's shot into the last at Bonville. An absolute ripper in front of a large gallery. By far the best shot we saw into that green. In hindsight, the shot that made him NSW Resident Champion.
To their credit, I did have a 30m head-start on the others (courtesy of a faded drive into the hill, and a 5h for position).

If I only I could putt. Now rectified with a Pure Performance putting fitting voucher in the mail.

TS
10th June 2014, 11:49 AM
I can't choose, so here are my top few:
TS on coffs 14. 20m off the green, dropped from the Hazard behind a tree. Bump and run for Tap in
TS on bonville 5. See above.
Any of DC's power hybrids from deep in the trees that missed everything through the 1 foot gaps.
DC trying to kill KJ and TS on bonville 15.

I blame DC's s**** for my collapse in the last 4 holes. I was 2 up after 14 holes, but only manage 2 points for the last 4 holes.

matty
10th June 2014, 11:59 AM
Anything could of happened for half the field on Sunday. 10 guys could have been champ.
10 guys finished in the 62-67 stableford point range. Pretty cool, really.
But one stood tall.

benno_r
10th June 2014, 12:06 PM
I blame DC's s**** for my collapse in the last 4 holes. I was 2 up after 14 holes, but only manage 2 points for the last 4 holes.

I wouldn't feel too bad - I was 26pts through 11 holes, then put up a mighty 8 points over the last 7 holes. Really though I was heading for a great G Norman / A scott type of Majors moment.

Dotty
10th June 2014, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't feel too bad - I was 26pts through 11 holes, then put up a mighty 8 points over the last 7 holes. Really though I was heading for a great G Norman / A scott type of Majors moment.
There may have been a trend ... 1211132 finish for me
3 putts on 12/14, and failed hero shots on 15/16.

benno_r
10th June 2014, 12:19 PM
There may have been a trend ... 1211132 finish for me
3 putts on 12/14, and failed hero shots on 15/16.

Yep, watching DC execute a number of awesome hero shots got me thinking. Failed with them on 12 and 15, plus a dunk in the water on 17 (trying to play "safe"). Should have stuck to playing to a handicap par scenario. Oh well, got lucky in the end I guess.

LeftyHoges
10th June 2014, 01:17 PM

But pulled off the Bradbury instead!

benno_r
10th June 2014, 01:30 PM
But pulled off the Bradbury instead!

Maybe not to that extent, I wasn't half a lap behind 90% through. Maybe did an Ernie Els at the British open 2012.