PDA

View Full Version : We call it "Soccer"

Fishman Dan
19th February 2006, 10:21 AM
I see that Liverpool have knocked off Man U in the FA Cup 5th round, dispelling an 85 year old jinx. It's a bit of a resurgence from the Reds over the last couple of years, although an EPL title is still beyond them. I've loosely followed Liverpool since the mid-80's when Craig Johnston was controlling the midfield - just as I was(n't) when playing for Lindfield U11 H's.

I'm going to the A-League game tonight between Sydney FC and Adelaide Utd which should almost be a foregone conclusion. 2-2 draw in Adelaide last week means that Sydney should win if they can control the pace of the game.

I rate this A-League, makes it a lot more pallatable than the previous competition, although it's no secret that potentially half the teams are already in financial trouble.

goughy
19th February 2006, 03:31 PM
although it's no secret that potentially half the teams are already in financial trouble.

Sounds like any other regular football code to me.

Fishman Dan
19th February 2006, 08:20 PM
Just got back from the Sydney - Adelaide game... 2-1 to Sydney! Home Grand final baby! It was ....... interesting .... having to sit next to the Adelaide supporters. The game (and the supporters) got very tense when they levelled the game in the 65th or so minute.

Awesome atmosphere at the SFS - i've said it before and will say it again: it's without a doubt the best venue in Sydney for sporting events. It's the only stadium that generates a real 'cauldron' for rugby codes and soccer. The SCG is still better when you've got 43-44k for a Swans game.

Trung
19th February 2006, 08:30 PM
Awesome atmosphere at the SFS - i've said it before and will say it again: it's without a doubt the best venue in Sydney for sporting events. It's the only stadium that generates a real 'cauldron' for rugby codes and soccer. The SCG is still better when you've got 43-44k for a Swans game.

I will 2nd that.... The best Aussie venue to watch a soccer game is the SFS. I was at the Aus vs Argentina game when Diego Maradona came and played. They got something like 45035 people to that game (if I recall correctly). Nothing beat being so close to the playing field.

Stadium Australia is great but SFS will always be my No. 1

CobraSS
19th February 2006, 09:07 PM
I rate this A-League, makes it a lot more pallatable than the previous competition, although it's no secret that potentially half the teams are already in financial trouble.

The FFA should now have enough money too subsidise the comp and those struggling teams, for a few years, with World cup qualification.

I agree the A-League is great, I have been to three Roar games this season, the overhaul of the league and getting rid of the ethnic based teams, has done wonders for the game.