PDA

View Full Version : Previous sports before golf

Wenz
26th May 2014, 04:06 PM
Just curious what sports did everyone play before they found golf?

For me, it was Basketball.

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 04:08 PM
Pigeon racing.

Didn't beat a single one.

Wenz
26th May 2014, 04:10 PM
Seriously?
Did you give up for the fact you "Didn't beat a single one"

Monsta
Pigeon racing.

Didn't beat a single one.

Quick little suckers aren't they Lager?

coalesce
Cricket, and I kept the same swing with my elbows out until it was pointed out I was doing it...

Monsta
26th May 2014, 04:11 PM
For me it was hockey and baseball

Wenz
26th May 2014, 04:11 PM
Cricket and golf, as similar as they come I guess

IamViva
26th May 2014, 04:20 PM
at 16 i competed in the 2001 AAU junior sport stacking championship held in fort worth, texas

i didnt do very well

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 04:35 PM
Quick little suckers aren't they Lager?

Yep, not very tasty either!!

Poorman's greyhounds.

Feelzy
26th May 2014, 04:54 PM
Currently play gridiron but probably my last season, especially if we win the championship this year. Go out on a high.

benno_r
26th May 2014, 04:54 PM
Observed trials - though not as good as these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjITc1Jc8vw

Still have a couple of restored 1976 Kawasaki trials bikes at home that I occasionally smash into things.

Lemo
26th May 2014, 04:59 PM
Rugby League and Cricket.

Buzz
26th May 2014, 05:29 PM
Cricket ... Indoor and outdoor. Stopped ten years ago before the knees have out completely :)

3Puttpete
26th May 2014, 05:32 PM
I've never been officially ranked but I'm a fairly accomplished pocket billiards player

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 05:37 PM
I've never been officially ranked but I'm a fairly accomplished pocket billiards player Quickest frame?

backintheswing
26th May 2014, 05:37 PM
Haven't we done this topic a couple of times before?

3Puttpete
26th May 2014, 05:42 PM
Quickest frame?

Pffft!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/26/muza4ymy.jpg

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 05:43 PM
Haven't we done this topic a couple of times before?

Yes we often comment on 3PP's addictions...

Yossarian
26th May 2014, 06:14 PM
I play strike rate cricket.

WBennett
26th May 2014, 06:23 PM
180 odd games of Aussie rules footy.
10 years of cricket til I broke my elbow playing footy and couldn't bowl any more.
Motor raced in speed events at State Level for a few years til the money ran out.
Softball, indoor cricket, soccer, futsal, AFL9's, touch footy.....

I just love sport. Just never elite at any of them!

qbnchopper
26th May 2014, 06:32 PM
bball too ...

Buzz
26th May 2014, 06:43 PM
180 odd games of Aussie rules footy.10 years of cricket til I broke my elbow playing footy and couldn't bowl any more.Motor raced in speed events at State Level for a few years til the money ran out.Softball, indoor cricket, soccer, futsal, AFL9's, touch footy.....I just love sport. Just never elite at any of them!Which years for cricket and who for ... We may have played against each other.

mrbluu
26th May 2014, 07:01 PM
Quickest frame? All of them!!!

Ferrins
26th May 2014, 07:06 PM
Skirmish.

Jarro
26th May 2014, 07:18 PM
Baseball

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 07:20 PM
Tball stand

FTFY

Jarro
26th May 2014, 07:24 PM
So cruel...

live4golf
26th May 2014, 07:27 PM
Most of my life played AFL, Cricket. Both at reasonable levels. Tennis, squash and Table Tennis...was pretty good at Tennis. Indoor cricket, dabbled at soccer, rugby, rugby league even did lawn bowls for a while. Love all sports

3Puttpete
26th May 2014, 07:29 PM
Most of my life played AFL, Cricket. Both at reasonable levels. Tennis, squash and Table Tennis...was pretty good at Tennis. Indoor cricket, dabbled at soccer, rugby, rugby league even did lawn bowls for a while. Love all sports

AFL at a "reasonable level"... Like North Melbourne?

Wenz
26th May 2014, 07:35 PM
Quite a diverse range of sports.

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 07:39 PM
Well done everyone, not one mention of soggy Sao..

Daves
26th May 2014, 07:40 PM
At school I played lots of League and a bit of cricket. I was also into Athletics/Track and Field and managed to win School Champs and compete at States at few times. Once I left home and started working, I played a bit of Rugby, AFL and Indoor Cricket. But Basketball was my main passion, played, coached, officiated and administrated for a few years. Golf was my 2nd passion back then.

WBennett
26th May 2014, 07:46 PM
Which years for cricket and who for ... We may have played against each other. Just bummed around for Workers in City and Suburban comp and various teams in Sunday socials. Could never commit to grade as I was racing every second weekend

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 07:48 PM
At school I played lots of League and a bit of cricket. I was also into Athletics/Track and Field and managed to win School Champs and compete at States at few times. Once I left home and started working, I played a bit of Rugby, AFL and Indoor Cricket. But Basketball was my main passion, played, coached, officiated and administrated for a few years. Golf was my 2nd passion back then.

Indoor cricket?? In what, the first proto Nissen huts??

Bonus points for not mentioning soggy saos...keep blocking it out mate.

Hatchman
26th May 2014, 07:53 PM
180 odd games of Aussie rules footy.
10 years of cricket til I broke my elbow playing footy and couldn't bowl any more.
Motor raced in speed events at State Level for a few years til the money ran out.
Softball, indoor cricket, soccer, futsal, AFL9's, touch footy.....

I just love sport. Just never elite at any of them!

What class and what car in the speed events.

live4golf
26th May 2014, 07:54 PM
AFL at a "reasonable level"... Like North Melbourne?

hahahaha, no...much higher than that :)

before I was tall and fat, I was tall and solid so I played some regional stuff as a junior. Played in a couple of defence teams...and some games for the mighty Penrith Rams, definitely the highlight :)

Eag's
26th May 2014, 07:59 PM
League until I dislocated my knee twice in the same season at 16.
The bastard of a thing still gives me grief today.

WBennett
26th May 2014, 08:02 PM
What class and what car in the speed events. Mighty Datsun 1200 coupe generally running up to 1300. Mainly hillclimbs but ran a heap of supersprints at Wakefield. Started as a 2e club car and thenrebuilt as a low budget sports sedan after Dad tipped in on its head one day...Career highlight was being 3rd outright in a Porsche Club day at lunch. Beaten only by a 4wd 911 and a evo5. Then the rain stopped and reality struck ;)

Hatchman
26th May 2014, 08:04 PM
In school and junior days it was AFL, tennis and cricket whist playing golf.
Played A grade junior tennis and B grade men's. After leaving school I traded tennis for squash and no longer played cricket or AFL.
Squash was not good for my golf swing.
Dropped the squash in mid 20's and it was golf only for years.

Late 30's whilst on a holiday from golf I took up legal street drag racing. Tipping the car over levelling the roof with the doors during a test and tune run ended that and a return to golf followed.

mrbluu
26th May 2014, 08:05 PM
Tipping the car over levelling the roof with the doors during a test and tune run ended that and a return to golf followed.

Was lady hatch your co-driver???

Hatchman
26th May 2014, 08:08 PM
Mighty Datsun 1200 coupe generally running up to 1300. Mainly hillclimbs but ran a heap of supersprints at Wakefield. Started as a 2e club car and thenrebuilt as a low budget sports sedan after Dad tipped in on its head one day...Career highlight was being 3rd outright in a Porsche Club day at lunch. Beaten only by a 4wd 911 and a evo5. Then the rain stopped and reality struck ;)

Nice. It's good when the little guy without the cubic dollars has a win hey.

Hatchman
26th May 2014, 08:13 PM
Was lady hatch your co-driver???

Funny but no.

I destroyed the car 2 weeks after we had met. She never got to see it not bent.

Wenz
26th May 2014, 08:16 PM
Guys, which sport do you reckon you were better at?

I was probably better at basketball but enjoyed golf more

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 08:18 PM
Pigeon racing......just

Croydo
26th May 2014, 08:20 PM
I was at state level for athletics in 200m for a number of years, but gave it away to play to play basketball and league.

Shreko
26th May 2014, 08:29 PM
Guys, which sport do you reckon you were better at?

I was probably better at basketball but enjoyed golf more

Aus rep for indoor cricket and played first grade league in brisvegas, also managed 2 games outdoor for Scotland 2nd xi when lived there,

WBennett
26th May 2014, 08:41 PM
Guys, which sport do you reckon you were better at? I was probably better at basketball but enjoyed golf more None of em! But I always won at my natural level.

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 08:44 PM
Aus rep for indoor cricket and played first grade league in brisvegas, also managed 2 games outdoor for Scotland 2nd xi when lived there,

Awesome. What year/s for ICA national rep?

Marto65
26th May 2014, 08:46 PM
Before golf? Only soccer.

But I started playing golf when I was 7, so there wasn't much time to do anything else.

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 08:48 PM
Indoor cricket?? In what, the first proto Nissen huts??

Bonus points for not mentioning soggy saos...keep blocking it out mate.

Bump...

1 hour in and no accolades??

3Puttpete
26th May 2014, 08:55 PM

The league's ok but Aus rep is top of the tree. As good as it gets in that sport. Well played.

Shreko
26th May 2014, 08:57 PM
Awesome. What year/s for ICA national rep?

ICF 1990-1992 juniors, 2000-2002 ozsports

Lagerlover
26th May 2014, 09:01 PM
Dion Muir around then?

Shreko
26th May 2014, 09:01 PM
The league's ok but Aus rep is top of the tree. As good as it gets in that sport. Well played.

Ty, couple years running too, broken fingers makes for bad golf though

Dotty
26th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Soccer, union, swimming, cross-country running, sailing.

I have a participation certificate for each.

Courty
26th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Played golf since I was a kid, getting interested because my Dad played (and still does).

Other than that, the main ones were basketball & volleyball (beach & indoor). Played a bit of rep stuff in both. I played basketball for longer because I started it at a younger age, but I reckon I was best at indoor volleyball. Played a couple of years in state league but was never gonna be tall enough to go any further (even if I had the talent).

mrbluu
26th May 2014, 09:15 PM
Guys, which sport do you reckon you were better at? I was probably better at basketball but enjoyed golf more I'm not sure, I played 2nd division rep bball and I'm a 4 to 6 marker in golf.

Shreko
26th May 2014, 09:43 PM
Dion Muir around then?

Couple years later than me in juniors, was, is an awesome talent

Shortylook
26th May 2014, 09:47 PM
Afl, aka footy for me. Could of played for subiaco colts and then who knows but, I was young and dumb. Could of also played state tennis if I really put my mind too it. Looking back I was probably to short or unskillful for either. No regrets but.

Dcanto
26th May 2014, 10:02 PM
Soccer and Cricket while a junior and then switched to ten pin bowling and indoor cricket while at uni. Started playing golf during the latter part of my uni studies and have been tragically addicted ever since.

KristianJ
26th May 2014, 10:05 PM
I played a few years of junior cricket and a couple of senior in my teen years, then gave it up for a while because I was working on weekends. Then got back into it around 08/09 for 4 years before my 2nd "retirement". Played a 1st grade game in the 2nd stint but was mainly in 3rds for the rest of it. Our team won a couple of premierships and I won the club's most prestigious bowling award once.

Also a season of indoor cricket, and a couple of seasons of 6 a side summer soccer (played on half a hockey field...was very fast paced and thankful that it was unlimited interchange).

Sydney Hacker
26th May 2014, 10:15 PM
ICF 1990-1992 juniors, 2000-2002 ozsportsYou know Scotty Boyle?

davepuppies
26th May 2014, 10:15 PM
I played rugby league for a few seasons, till I shattered my shoulder and collar bone in a spear tackle.

Played golf through high school and got to a decent level

Took up bodybuilding in my early 20s, and gave it away at age 28 after tearing my shoulder. I have had a few periods where I get back into it for 3-6 months, and tend to oscillate between it and golf these days.

Buzz
26th May 2014, 10:54 PM
Just bummed around for Workers in City and Suburban comp and various teams in Sunday socials. Could never commit to grade as I was racing every second weekend Fair enough! I played for uni 1994-2004, all grades up to seconds, never cracked for a first grade match unfortunately.

Mububban
26th May 2014, 11:28 PM
Junior then senior cricket, just another C grade weekend tragic who played because of love, not an over abundance of talent :) I did take out the C grade bowling average one year. Filled in a couple of games in B grade, which is where I busted my shoulder. Bye bye cricket.
Indoor volleyball, indoor cricket, badminton, I'm absolutely rubbish at basketball proven by one season with a mate who was desperate for numbers. Bit of squash. Had a few games of golf aged 20ish, then got bitten by the bug age 33.

All played socially, all to varying degrees of rubbish, but I love sport :)

markTHEblake
27th May 2014, 02:09 AM
I was into rugby league, cricket,soccer,Aussie rules, surfing, skateboarding and body building before I took up golf.

PerryGroves
27th May 2014, 06:30 AM
Cricket, prolific winner of clubman and fielding awards

sms316
27th May 2014, 07:05 AM
Why do people who played Australian Rules Football refer to it as AFL?

Nobody is saying they played NRL or test cricket.

IamViva
27th May 2014, 07:14 AM

So fraser hasnt posted yet? I hear he plays for the storm...

Bruce
27th May 2014, 07:27 AM
I was selected for the state squad as a junior for volleyball but didn't get tall enough to really take it to the next level.

Played cricket until I couldn't any more. I enjoyed the later years more when I was teaching the young kid bowling from the other end to me how to get batsmen out rather than just run in and bowl fast. It also meant only wandering to mid off rather than jogging back to fine leg.

Umpired footy for about 10 years but gave it away when it was costing me more in physio than I was earning. Bloody ITB.

Hatchman
27th May 2014, 07:29 AM

Partly so there is no confusion with the round ball game that uses the word football and it's quicker to type than Aussie Rules.

It's also the common defacto term used for the game at all levels now.

AndyP
27th May 2014, 08:20 AM

It's also the common defacto term used for the game at all levels now.
I think it's stupid, and don't do it myself, but even the AFL uses the term to refer to the sport.

goughy
27th May 2014, 10:21 AM
Squash, and a little bit of golf.

coalesce
27th May 2014, 10:35 AM
Soccer, union, swimming, cross-country running, sailing.

I have a participation certificate for each.

I've a small piece of red ribbon for swimming 10m

Dotty
27th May 2014, 12:33 PM
I've a small piece of red ribbon for swimming 10m
They ran out of rubbons by the time I finished.

Peppas
27th May 2014, 12:41 PM
I played basketball as a kid, with a little soccer, volleyball, cricket.

Played more basketball and soccer in my early 20s and ultimate frisbee while at uni and a few years afterwards. Started playing golf 4 years ago.

ZENNON
27th May 2014, 05:36 PM
Tennis mainly

Also a bit of social:
indoor cricket, mixed netball, mixed touch, mixed ultimate frisbee

Also did some Motorkhanas, Sprints at Queensland Raceway and the odd Hill Climb but don't really count those as sports

Lobsta
28th May 2014, 07:10 AM
I was a union ref for a few years in late high school early uni.

Played Water Polo for the best part of 8 or 9 years at school and club level. Stopped after a few of the mates that I played with moved away and the juniors coming through were a bunch of twats.

Train in a mixed martial art style, but not for competition.

crops23
1st June 2014, 07:42 PM
A grade cricket wicketkeeper/batsman few broken fingers in that lot! Played against Clint Mckay who nows play for Australia when he wasnt that quick. Played local footy when I was back in melbourne as well as basketball, baseball anything that involved a ball really. Really hate my busted fingers now was fun at the time the arthritis isn"t going to be great in a few more years when I can't grip a club!

WBennett
1st June 2014, 07:51 PM
I made a seniors comeback to footy today. Game 189 to help out a mate. 65 all draw in the wet.Happily retired again.

AndyP
1st June 2014, 09:07 PM
What position do you normally play, Benno?

Peppas
1st June 2014, 09:23 PM
What position do you normally play, Benno?

I think he said he likes to ride the pine

WBennett
1st June 2014, 09:27 PM
AP - anywhere in the back 6 depending on matchup. So today I started HB flank running around getting kicks, then went to CHB when we lost a key defender to injury, then followed my man to FB for a quarter and finishing back at CHB.

First quarter had around 10 disposals - it kept following me. 2nd was about 2, ditto 3rd and 4th. Only had one goal kicked on me for the day so I was pretty happy for an old fat bloke.

AndyP
1st June 2014, 09:38 PM
Respect!

I played one season of senior footy when I was 20/21 and it was in the back pocket. Some **** from Logan gave me a push that resulted in a broken collar bone in our 2nd semi. I watched my teammates win the GF and fix him up from the sidelines. My collar bone never healed properly, but doesn't cause me any problems.

hocko
1st June 2014, 09:43 PM
Playing big boys footy when you are a reasonably small bloke is tough.

Mububban
1st June 2014, 10:15 PM
A grade cricket wicketkeeper/batsman few broken fingers in that lot! ......Really hate my busted fingers now was fun at the time the arthritis isn"t going to be great in a few more years when I can't grip a club!

I always remember a photo when Ian Healy retired showing his munted fingers. You keepers are crazy :)

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/02/25/ianhealy_wideweb__470x271,0.jpg

3Puttpete
1st June 2014, 11:01 PM
I always remember a photo when Ian Healy retired showing his munted fingers. You keepers are crazy :)

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/02/25/ianhealy_wideweb__470x271,0.jpg

Doesn't do much for the face either

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd June 2014, 08:01 PM
Soccer from aged 5-15 and basketball from aged 8-14 were my main sports as a kid, played in a few low level rep teams for both. Little bit of tennis and track and field too. Played basketball for two years at University Games - massive excuse for a piss up:).
My Old Man got me into golf when I was 12 and I played solidly for two years or so. Cant remember why I stopped...think I just ran out of time. Played ad hoc for the next decade or so, then got back into golf seriously two years ago. Really wish I didn't give up golf for all those years...

Gollfer69
2nd June 2014, 08:05 PM
I made a seniors comeback to footy today. Game 189 to help out a mate. 65 all draw in the wet.Happily retired again. Comebacks are awesome ben no....respect.

WBennett
2nd June 2014, 08:27 PM
Might have one more cameo left in me... I had one team mate yesterday who was born the year I started playing footy. I felt like Dustin Fletcher

BenM
2nd June 2014, 08:32 PM
A couple of seasons of junior soccer in primary school...

Then a few seasons of cricket in high school, and basketball as well (still play in a social league) as well as taking up golf in high school too. Still remember wagging school and taking my sticks on the bus to the course.

Gave up for years, then started playing again sporadically, and also did a bit of motor racing for a while, mostly drag racing but did 1 or 2 track days at Symmons Plains. Started building an LJ Torana as a track car but also wanted to play golf and had to make a decision between the two - no money or time to both play golf and race cars. That was a few years ago, think I definitely chose the cheaper option... Just...

jasonb
8th June 2014, 08:02 PM
Legal off street drag racing , then full competition racing - Rice burning Mazda Rx4 until the fear of not being able to provide for my kids came into it.
Played A grade field hockey up until 22 , then took it easy and chose to play b and c grade due to a constantly returning leg injury. Also state Representative baseball .
None of this has helped my golf though.

Tongueboy
9th June 2014, 08:41 AM
Cricket, tennis, rugby, rugby league and hockey.

Buzz
9th June 2014, 08:45 AM
Might have one more cameo left in me... I had one team mate yesterday who was born the year I started playing footy. I felt like Dustin Fletcher

So how did you pull up? Its always the recovery that sucks with advancing years :)

Tiezto
10th June 2014, 12:33 PM
Something about wicket keepers? ****. ....

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/wpid-davidmorrisonnn_450x256.jpg

Courty
10th June 2014, 03:55 PM
Something about wicket keepers? ****. ....

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/wpid-davidmorrisonnn_450x256.jpg

He mustn't have been a very good one. ;)

Lagerlover
10th June 2014, 05:06 PM
He mustn't have been a very good one. ;)

No, but an excellent proctologist by all accounts..

Shreko
10th June 2014, 07:31 PM
No, but an excellent proctologist by all accounts..

Get that inya!!!!!!!!!

Grunt
10th June 2014, 07:45 PM
Done before but Rugby league half back/five eight until 18. I was no longer big enough to keep getting bashed by the big mothers.
Competitively sailed with a goal of the 96 Olympics, sailed Sabots to yachts, got to Australian titles in Hobie Cats in 91 3rd in Hobie 14 Turbo B fleet, Highlight was winning an Australian Police Games Gold medal as helmsman of a 30 foot yacht in 96. Ran out of Money before the dream could be achieved.
Now trying to be a ocean ski racer.