PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Range Extender

WBennett
24th May 2014, 12:05 PM
IT geeks

I have a Internode supplied NBN Fritzbox in the garage, but the wireless struggles to get to the far corners of the house 25m and four walls away. Anyone have a recommendation of a wifi 'repeater' or range extender?

dannycallaz
24th May 2014, 12:43 PM
IT geeks

I have a Internode supplied NBN Fritzbox in the garage, but the wireless struggles to get to the far corners of the house 25m and four walls away. Anyone have a recommendation of a wifi 'repeater' or range extender?

Have a look at tech guide Steven Fenech.

He recommended a few products last week for this problem benno!

Cheers

Steve
24th May 2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX6100.aspx

Grunt
24th May 2014, 02:55 PM
Similar question so I will ask it here.
I want to connect my foxtel boxes to my internet. only drama house has 2 circuits and the powerpoint near the Foxtel is a different circuit to the one in the room near the router.
What can I do?

Courty
24th May 2014, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure what other brand alternatives are worth, but an Apple Airport Express (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC414X/A/airport-express) might be a good possibility. It works well on my (Apple) network.

BenM
24th May 2014, 06:07 PM
One of my clients has one of those Netgear units, seems to work well.

Otherwise the proper fix (IMHO) is a ceiling mounted Unifi, for under a hundred bucks (plus whatever it costs to run a cable to it) they're a great bit of kit.

Minor_Threat
24th May 2014, 06:08 PM
Similar question so I will ask it here.
I want to connect my foxtel boxes to my internet. only drama house has 2 circuits and the powerpoint near the Foxtel is a different circuit to the one in the room near the router.
What can I do?

I am pretty sure it just needs to be the same phase Grunt.

Grunt
24th May 2014, 06:14 PM
I am pretty sure it just needs to be the same phase Grunt.
Yeah just wanting to know if there are other methods?

Bruce
24th May 2014, 07:50 PM
Do you have any sort of old wifi device in the cupboard?

dd-wrt can be installed and then set up as an access point.

WBennett
25th May 2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks fellas

I gave the old router away when we went NBN so no option of recycling it. I've always been a netgear user so its looking a good option.

Appreciate the advice.

oncewasagolfer
25th May 2014, 12:21 PM
I have a couple of Linksys wag54g's somewhere if your interested.

Minor_Threat
25th May 2014, 01:01 PM
Do you have any sort of old wifi device in the cupboard?

dd-wrt can be installed and then set up as an access point.

This is what I have done, but it is best to hardwire the access point to the modem. Also I don't think dd-wrt is mandatory to setup a wireless access point..

WBennett
4th June 2014, 04:27 PM
Steve

The unit took about 3 minutes to set up. I can now access my wifi on the 15th and 16th holes!

Peppas
4th June 2014, 04:36 PM
Steve

The unit took about 3 minutes to set up. I can now access my wifi on the 15th and 16th holes!

Look at you and Monsta, livin' the dream :)

Grunt
4th June 2014, 05:04 PM
Bought a Dlink DAP-1650 extender and it with the powerline extenders now sees awesome WiFi around the entire house. Foxtel on demand active as well :)

graham_w
4th June 2014, 05:50 PM
Does it setup a second wifi network name and your devices swap between the two depending on signal strength, or does it keep the same wireless network name across them?

Steve
4th June 2014, 05:55 PM
Steve

Very glad to hear.

Grunt
4th June 2014, 06:05 PM
Does it setup a second wifi network name and your devices swap between the two depending on signal strength, or does it keep the same wireless network name across them?2, actually 3 networks now, it has 2 standard wifi and 5G wiFi added to the current one.

WBennett
4th June 2014, 06:30 PM
Does it setup a second wifi network name and your devices swap between the two depending on signal strength, or does it keep the same wireless network name across them?

Multiple network names swapping seamlessly - set up a extensions on 2.4hz and 5.0hz, meaning I can pick it up anywhere within about 100m of my house!

graham_w
4th June 2014, 06:36 PM
Do you find the networks swapping to the strongest one? Or have you found any issues where you are on the border of the primary one which causes issues of bandwidth and usage and it won't swap over?

WBennett
4th June 2014, 06:40 PM
I'l changed the kids tablets and PC to the boosted signal. I was mucking around with the netgear app on the phone looking at signal strength.

Its only been in 24 hours so I'll let you know once I find out more.

graham_w
4th June 2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks, we have dodgy signal at the back of our place. I was thinking of going one of two routes a) the one you have with multiple networks or b) as Ben said earlier, go down the unifi route.

I'm leaning towards B as it will stop any IT issues when I'm not home.

IamViva
4th June 2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks, we have dodgy signal at the back of our place. I was thinking of going one of two routes a) the one you have with multiple networks or b) as Ben said earlier, go down the unifi route.

I'm leaning towards B as it will stop any IT issues when I'm not home.be sure to ask glen before pulling the trigger.

graham_w
4th June 2014, 06:54 PM
be sure to ask glen before pulling the trigger.

You don't want to be caught in that conversation.

DetroitIrish
4th August 2014, 05:22 AM
Any suggestions for a wifi range extender?

Buzz
4th August 2014, 07:55 AM
Still happy with the net gear extender wbennett? I need to do the same.

AndyP
1st February 2020, 02:47 PM
The study has moved to the opposite end of the house, about 20m from the router, and only gets a very weak signal, if at all.

I'm looking for recommendations either for Wifi extenders or Ethernet over Power, if anyone has done this recently.
I'll also look back through this thread and this other (https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/51625-Getting-internet-wifi-to-shed) and try some things.

chappy1970
1st February 2020, 10:07 PM
Nighthawks are the business

markTHEblake
1st February 2020, 10:16 PM
The study has moved to the opposite end of the house, about 20m from the router, and only gets a very weak signal, if at all.I'm looking for recommendations either for Wifi extenders or Ethernet over Power, if anyone has done this recently.I'll also look back through this thread and this other (https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/51625-Getting-internet-wifi-to-shed) and try some things.I have TP Link ethernet over power which work great and much cheaper than the usual brands. Very reliable and a lot less stuffing around.

AndyP
2nd February 2020, 10:02 AM
I have TP Link ethernet over power which work great and much cheaper than the usual brands. Very reliable and a lot less stuffing around.
Since it was really only for a specific location, I was thinking of the cheaper TP Link EoP. The only problem being that the school laptops don't have ethernet ports, so I'd either need to make it a Wifi transmitter in that area (seems to be a big jump in cost), or get an adapter for their PCs.

Johnny Canuck
2nd February 2020, 11:58 AM
Since it was really only for a specific location, I was thinking of the cheaper TP Link EoP. The only problem being that the school laptops don't have ethernet ports, so I'd either need to make it a Wifi transmitter in that area (seems to be a big jump in cost), or get an adapter for their PCs.

I’m curious myself.

I need to do something for one room in my house, will only be for iPad use.

AndyP
2nd February 2020, 12:23 PM
JC, have you had a look at the links in this thread or the other that I linked. You might be able to boost your current signal if you are happy to use third party firmware, or alternatively, if you have an old wireless router sitting about, you could set it up as an extender.

I don't have any older routers, and they would have been too old, if I kept them around anyway. Of course, I put my laptop in there today and it is getting 2 or 3 bars out of five from the main access point, so it makes it hard to commit to doing the setup of this.

benno_r
2nd February 2020, 12:30 PM
Since it was really only for a specific location, I was thinking of the cheaper TP Link EoP. The only problem being that the school laptops don't have ethernet ports, so I'd either need to make it a Wifi transmitter in that area (seems to be a big jump in cost), or get an adapter for their PCs.You can buy EoP kits that have inbuilt wifi on the receiving end.

I got a D-link to get internet to my downstairs media room. Works a treat.

AndyP
2nd February 2020, 12:55 PM
Yep, that's what I meant. They seemed to be a big jump in cost, with the potential risk of it not working that well, depending on power circuits, etc. If it is slow speeds, I guess that will discourage the kids from gaming or web surfing, instead of doing their study.

AndyP
3rd February 2020, 01:10 PM
Whirlpool members poo-poo ethernet over power, and expect you to cable to the other end of the house, or use "Mesh Wifi", whatever that is. I'm not needing this connection for gaming (yet), so it is nothing heavy duty, and EoP should do the job.

I've just bought a Netgear unit off gumtree for 80 bucks including postage, which goes for $208 on Officeworks. I'll let you know how it goes.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/netgear-powerline-wifi-1000-adaptor-ngdplw1000

(https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/netgear-powerline-wifi-1000-adaptor-ngdplw1000)

mrbluu
3rd February 2020, 02:13 PM
Anyone used Tenda Nova or other mesh networks?

Thanks
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/113877109246

Courty
3rd February 2020, 02:40 PM

I have a Netgear Orbi mesh wifi network. Easy to setup via the app and has fixed the dead spots I had previously.

AndyP
3rd February 2020, 02:52 PM
Whirlpool would be a good spot to do some mesh research.

mrbluu
3rd February 2020, 03:15 PM
I have a Netgear Orbi mesh wifi network. Easy to setup via the app and has fixed the dead spots I had previously.Cool I'll look into it. Thanks

pt73
4th February 2020, 04:22 PM

Thanks
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/113877109246
A guy at my work who's a networking guru has Google Mesh and loves it.

A golf buddy did the same thing and it fixed the wifi signal issues in his 2 storey old style full brick house.

Minor_Threat
5th February 2020, 11:17 AM
Mesh is the way to go but very pricey. My parents have had some luck with WiFi extenders.

PeteyD
5th February 2020, 01:13 PM
I have the linksys mesh system (got it on special at some stage) and no wifi issues at home anymore (2 story brick veneer).

pt73
5th February 2020, 03:35 PM
I created two wifi extenders for my house from old wifi routers as my NBN retailer supplied router has average wifi at best.

Both were older Linksys routers so instructions were easy to find.

mrbluu
6th February 2020, 04:39 PM
A guy at my work who's a networking guru has Google Mesh and loves it.A golf buddy did the same thing and it fixed the wifi signal issues in his 2 storey old style full brick house. Thanks PT