PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes slow play is ok

sms316
22nd May 2014, 07:11 PM
I heard on the radio this arvo that the average round in the cot by a man is 5 minutes. If you go three minutes or less you aren't being too considerate of your playing partner/s.

How long do you like to take to play a round?

Here's the story in The Age;

http://m.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/premature-ejaculation-how-quick-is-too-quick-20140522-zrl1k.html

Webster
22nd May 2014, 07:14 PM
Are votes in this poll visible to other forum members?

sms316
22nd May 2014, 07:18 PM
Are votes in this poll visible to other forum members? No.

Webster
22nd May 2014, 07:22 PM
So, 27 minutes around the front nine is acceptable, and then you get to have a crack at the back nine?

BenM
22nd May 2014, 07:23 PM
Depends on the weather. Sometimes you just want to get off the course ASAP.

Ferrins
22nd May 2014, 07:30 PM
Do you let the group behind play through?

sms316
22nd May 2014, 07:46 PM
Do you let the group behind play through? Best ball?

Webster
22nd May 2014, 07:50 PM
For clarity, when does the 3 minutes starts and end? Do you include your usual pre shot routine? And does the timing end when your ball comes to rest between shots, or when you officially hole out?

Jackson
22nd May 2014, 08:05 PM
Is it like golf where you can just tell the Mrs that it goes for longer so you can spend more time drinking at the bar?

Daves
22nd May 2014, 08:07 PM
Is it like golf where you can just tell the Mrs that it goes for longer so you can spend more time drinking at the bar?

Or do you invite your mates around for drinks afterwards?

Webster
22nd May 2014, 08:09 PM
Or can you stop for a beer and a pie when you reach half way?

sms316
22nd May 2014, 08:21 PM
60% over 10 minutes. Some people are using training aids.

matty
22nd May 2014, 08:42 PM
At my course the back nine is a bit more of a challenge but very rewarding.

liptout
22nd May 2014, 09:14 PM
I can't even remember the time I played at my course......

Think the maintenance was getting done properly and the course got shut down.....

BenM
22nd May 2014, 09:18 PM
Lol... My local pretty much shut up shop once the membership started expanding! :D

sms316
23rd May 2014, 04:28 AM
Surely the "I do the washing by hand" option was taken by Jack?

Webster
23rd May 2014, 07:37 AM
Nup. I just assumed that was for all the WAnkers to vote as one?

ZENNON
23rd May 2014, 08:11 AM
My local course doesn't allow play on the back 9 at all

Webster
23rd May 2014, 08:20 AM
Not even when the front nine is GUR?

Hatchman
23rd May 2014, 08:46 AM
No play on the back 9 for me either.
I do how ever get to play the front any way I like.

sms316
23rd May 2014, 08:52 AM
I hope nobody is playing with juniors.

BenM
23rd May 2014, 09:16 AM
No play on the back 9 for me either.
I do how ever get to play the front any way I like.

You do have to think your way around it sometimes.

Also, accuracy off the tee is key otherwise you may find yourself deep in the shit.

mike
23rd May 2014, 09:37 AM
A record has just been set for the most innuendos on one internet forum page. Well done lads.

sms316
23rd May 2014, 09:53 AM
A record has just been set for the most innuendos on one internet forum page. Well done lads. In who's endo?

mike
23rd May 2014, 09:54 AM
Your missus shaun.

Buzz
23rd May 2014, 09:59 AM
You do have to think your way around it sometimes.Also, accuracy off the tee is key otherwise you may find yourself deep in the shit. Having a slicing issue off the tee could really cause all sorts of problems

Shortylook
23rd May 2014, 10:07 AM
i always thought it was a race so i figured stuff the other participant

sms316
23rd May 2014, 10:37 AM
Your missus shaun. Cool. Maintenance has gone downhill on that track over the last couple of years. Rough has grown considerably.

Hatchman
23rd May 2014, 10:38 AM
Top fuel drag race, all over in 4.5-5 sec?

LeftyHoges
23rd May 2014, 12:18 PM
What's par for the course?

Sometimes I can go around in 40 odd strokes, other times I play slow and have hundreds. Need to know par so I can figure out my handicap....

Buzz
23rd May 2014, 12:28 PM
Don't forget the DSR will affect handicap ...

... Not going near the slope calculation

Webster
23rd May 2014, 12:42 PM
Lefty, I assume these are comp rounds with the missus you refer to? ie, If you holed out with your first stroke, it would count as opposed to 'social play' with someone else where it would not?

Yossarian
23rd May 2014, 12:44 PM
Are wider courses going to be less penal? Which you think would make the round quicker but would in fact extend playing time.

Dotty
23rd May 2014, 12:49 PM
Are wider courses going to be less penal? Which you think would make the round quicker but would in fact extend playing time.
Those courses are more suitable for 4 ball events.

LeftyHoges
23rd May 2014, 01:10 PM
Lefty, I assume these are comp rounds with the missus you refer to? ie, If you holed out with your first stroke, it would count as opposed to 'social play' with someone else where it would not?

Correct, I only get handicapped on competition rounds.

Social rounds I don't worry about handicap. Allows me to take some experimental and "less-than-conventional" strokes.

mike
23rd May 2014, 01:14 PM
Any of you guys play away or is it your home course every time? That would probably make a difference but I wouldn't know.

Hatchman
23rd May 2014, 01:14 PM
It's important to play the course a variety of different ways. Attack the hole from different angles and sides.

Hatchman
23rd May 2014, 01:17 PM
Unless your in one of those exclusive clubs playing another course is strictly frowned upon and will most often result in your membership being cancelled for good.

Webster
23rd May 2014, 01:18 PM
Mike, pretty sure I do not have reciprocal playing rights at any other course. Even some harmless chipping and putting would be frowned upon, let along whipping the big dog out for a whack.

sms316
23rd May 2014, 01:18 PM
Anyone got a good reciprocal rights arrangement?

Buzz
23rd May 2014, 01:39 PM
It's expensive enough being a member at one course without exploring other membership options!

sms316
23rd May 2014, 02:07 PM
I'm pretty sure most courses have a member called Buzz.

Daves
23rd May 2014, 02:12 PM
Playing other courses requires you to use larger balls. And you have to be willing to lose them following a careless round.

Steve57
23rd May 2014, 02:31 PM
Other courses are out of bounds!

Webster
23rd May 2014, 02:40 PM
Back on topic for a moment, and for the benefit of those in the "3 minutes or less" group, are there any practice drills to improve pace of play? Is there anything in Rotellas books that talks about mental imagery to assist in holding shots back until required?

mike
23rd May 2014, 03:39 PM
Jack, try hanging some Karrie Webb posters in your clubhouse. Hope that helps.

Yossarian
23rd May 2014, 03:40 PM
I think you need to practise by yourself a bit to maybe release some of the tension caused by playing with others.

Dotty
23rd May 2014, 03:40 PM
I'm waiting for Ferrins to post whether spending $20 will get the same results as spending $700.

Hatchman
23rd May 2014, 03:45 PM
I think you need to practise by yourself a bit to maybe release some of the tension caused by playing with others.

That's like going out with a loaded gun.

Monsta
23rd May 2014, 04:04 PM
Not having a home course means a lot of practise by myself, but occasionally I play a "public" course. Time is never a worry depending on how much it is to play the course.

Back nines are usually more expensive.......................................

Wenz
23rd May 2014, 04:11 PM
I usually play on my own. So holes are really quick!

Just sucks when you get to a 4pack and they don't even consider letting your through!

Monsta
23rd May 2014, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty sure most courses have a member called Buzz.

:smt038:smt038

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 05:12 PM
Yoss joined the first course that would let him on to play.

Yossarian
23rd May 2014, 05:21 PM
How did you know?

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 05:27 PM
How did you know?

I have sources.

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 05:29 PM
****, I should have said I heard when I last played that course...

Hatchman
23rd May 2014, 05:58 PM
Before you became a member of one course. How many on here have played the same course after half or all of their mates have?

Not me for one. Some of my mates have played the same course after I had thou. I like to be the pioneer in my group.

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 06:04 PM
Before you became a member of one course. How many on here have played the same course after half or all of their mates have?

Not me for one. Some of my mates have played the same course after I had thou. I like to be the pioneer in my group.

I did have a mate heading overseas on an extended trip offer me access to his private course whilst he was away.

bergsey
23rd May 2014, 06:05 PM
My mate once played the same course as me in the afternoon but was a bit soggy underfoot ...

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 06:08 PM
My mate once played the same course as me in the afternoon but was a bit soggy underfoot ...

Was he aware why conditions weren't that great?

Buzz
23rd May 2014, 06:09 PM
Nothing worse than a course that's hard to get a free tee time.

bergsey
23rd May 2014, 06:18 PM
Was he aware why conditions weren't that great?

I told him to not lick his balls clean if they had some fertiliser on them

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 06:18 PM
Nothing worse than a course that's hard to get a free tee time.

European Contiki tour is the way to go. You will not find an easier place to get a tee time on a quality course anywhere else in the world.

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 06:19 PM
I told him to not lick his balls clean if they had some fertiliser on them

Haha - a good policy.

sms316
23rd May 2014, 06:26 PM
Anyone else gone the shotgun start?

Daves
23rd May 2014, 06:29 PM
Anyone else gone the shotgun start?

Not Shotgun, but I beleive the Ferret played a round from multiple tees?

Grunt
23rd May 2014, 06:29 PM
How about playing in the wet? Seems to work better. self watered not previously irrigated.

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 06:41 PM
Who's woken up next to a course and had no idea if a round or two was played the night before?

Buzz
23rd May 2014, 06:45 PM
I think the bigger issue is that everyone knows regular play improves your game, but it's tough when the course you are a member of is closed for maintenance one week out of every four.

Have considered approaching the committee for a fees reduction as a consequence, but suspect said application would be firmly rebuffed.

Dcanto
23rd May 2014, 06:49 PM
I think the bigger issue is that everyone knows regular play improves your game, but it's tough when the course you are a member of is closed for maintenance one week out of every four.Have considered approaching the committee for a fees reduction as a consequence, but suspect said application would be firmly rebuffed. The committee gets particularly antsy during maintenance week. Particularly if the junior members have been acting up.

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 06:51 PM
I think the bigger issue is that everyone knows regular play improves your game, but it's tough when the course you are a member of is closed for maintenance one week out of every four.

Have considered approaching the committee for a fees reduction as a consequence, but suspect said application would be firmly rebuffed.

Just put your foot down and say you're playing despite the conditions.

Buzz
23rd May 2014, 06:53 PM
Just put your foot down and say you're playing despite the conditions. That's the sort of behavior that gets your membership suspended for lengthy periods ... So to speak.

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 06:58 PM
That's the sort of behavior that gets your membership suspended for lengthy periods ... So to speak.

You misunderstood. I wasn't advocating jumping on the course without support of the committee; just saying you need to convince the committee that playing during maintenance isn't as bad as they think.

Ron Burgundy
23rd May 2014, 06:59 PM
Anyone got a good reciprocal rights arrangement? Not me unfortunately. But a mate convinced his home course to merge with another. He had exclusive access to all holes on the new composite course for around 6 months. Predictably there was a de-merger when he paid too much attention to the new course and the old course revoked his membership and called in the receivers. Would have been fun while it lasted.

Buzz
23rd May 2014, 07:01 PM
You misunderstood. I wasn't advocating jumping on the course without support of the committee; just saying you need to convince the committee that playing during maintenance isn't as bad as they think. Ahhh I see your point. Indeed many applications have been made, but notoriously hard to sway these committees.

990B Luva
23rd May 2014, 07:02 PM
Having no home course, I've found the time a round takes depends on the course. A tight course shortens the time of the round, yet it is still enjoyable. Only a few courses I've played allow the back 9.

sms316
23rd May 2014, 07:06 PM
Not me unfortunately. But a mate convinced his home course to merge with another. He had exclusive access to all holes on the new composite course for around 6 months. Predictably there was a de-merger when he paid too much attention to the new course and the old course revoked his membership and called in the receivers. Would have been fun while it lasted.Hope they were better than a choice of Nudgee North and Nudgee South.

Webster
23rd May 2014, 07:07 PM
Not me unfortunately. But a mate convinced his home course to merge with another. He had exclusive access to all holes on the new composite course for around 6 months. Predictably there was a de-merger when he paid too much attention to the new course and the old course revoked his membership and called in the receivers. Would have been fun while it lasted.

winning post....

Ron Burgundy
23rd May 2014, 07:22 PM
Hope they were better than a choice of Nudgee North and Nudgee South.Both were surprisingly good tracks. Not quite RM east & west, but better than Nudgee north and south.

Webster
23rd May 2014, 07:28 PM
Both were surprisingly good tracks. Not quite RM east & west, but better than Nudgee north and south.

Could be like being a member at Metro, where everything is quite flat, prefectly maintained, but rather uninspiring after the first few games. Then along comes Miss Huntingdale from next door, with her artificial mounding, tendancy go hard up and back, and finish with some really strong testing holes. I can see the short term attraction could suck you in, but you'd be back over the fence at Metro after a few games at the dirty side of Windsor Avenue.

Jackson
23rd May 2014, 07:55 PM
I live on a property with twin courses, any tips on discussing the idea with the management of my course and the twin course of letting me play the full 36 one day?

drobbo
23rd May 2014, 08:12 PM
Who else has won Club Champs and got a trophy? I have won two, 1 and 3 years ago. Both trophies having spouts.
Unfortunately after you win the club champs, play seems to slow to a halt and doesn't seem to pick back up to pre champs level!

mike
23rd May 2014, 08:27 PM
It's been a while but I vaguely recall wearing a raincoat during play slowed things up quite a bit.

Webster
23rd May 2014, 08:28 PM
The raingear will definitely get you a bit furhter into the front nine when conditions are damp Mike.

Hatchman
23rd May 2014, 08:34 PM
Who's woken up next to a course and had no idea if a round or two was played the night before?

Yes.
Not sure if I should be proud to admit that or be ashamed. The driver was out when I woke all dirty needing a clean.
I'm going with proud as the course was quite tidy and seamed happy with my round even thou I have no idea that I played.

matty
23rd May 2014, 08:36 PM
Can't stand rain gear personally. Just lose all feel for the game.

Hatchman
23rd May 2014, 08:36 PM
Play also slows when you sign for life membership.

Outcast
23rd May 2014, 09:02 PM
Play also slows when you sign for life membership.

You mean your playing rights get suspended don't you?

aussieashley
23rd May 2014, 09:07 PM
I think life membership still entitles you to food and drinks in the clubhouse, but very limited playing rights.

Daggs
23rd May 2014, 09:23 PM
Where is the value in 7 day membership if you can only get on once a fortnight ?

Ashes
23rd May 2014, 09:55 PM
Not me unfortunately. But a mate convinced his home course to merge with another. He had exclusive access to all holes on the new composite course for around 6 months. Predictably there was a de-merger when he paid too much attention to the new course and the old course revoked his membership and called in the receivers. Would have been fun while it lasted.

A former coach of mine managed to secure reciprocals, although he, inexplicably, allowed public access to his private course as part of the deal. Unsurprisingly he found out it was harder to get tee times than he has anticipated and there was a long line of golfers looking to tee off on his private track. The deal finally fell apart when one of his players teed one up on his private course...

He is still with the same course funnily enough.

BenM
23rd May 2014, 10:51 PM
Where is the value in 7 day membership if you can only get on once a fortnight ?

I dream of once a fortnight.

Hatchman
24th May 2014, 07:42 AM
Membership suspension would occur if you were caught playing another course were the committee decided immediate cancellation was not required.

Buzz
24th May 2014, 07:55 AM
A former coach of mine managed to secure reciprocals, although he, inexplicably, allowed public access to his private course as part of the deal. Unsurprisingly he found out it was harder to get tee times than he has anticipated and there was a long line of golfers looking to tee off on his private track. The deal finally fell apart when one of his players teed one up on his private course...He is still with the same course funnily enough.I find it amazing so many players have such complicated playing arrangements in their life.

graham_w
24th May 2014, 08:02 AM
I had a mate who was a member of a friendly course. He lived in course side accommodation, so could have a hit whenever he wanted. The part I couldn't understand was that he had a friend who he lived with who also enjoyed having a hit on the course. He told me that he was fine with others having a hit on the course when he wasn't playing, and that he often played 4 ball on the course with the house mate.

Grunt
24th May 2014, 08:02 AM
I was accused of playing on another course and even though I did not, the membership is still on restrictions.

Buzz
24th May 2014, 08:05 AM
I was accused of playing on another course and even though I did not, the membership is still on restrictions.Geez that's tough ... I guess the committee at the other course can't confirm you never made a booking?

Webster
24th May 2014, 08:26 AM
Is it any wonder that the younger players are forsaking memberships and opting instead for pay-per-play.

Ashes
24th May 2014, 08:31 AM
Is it any wonder that the younger players are forsaking memberships and opting instead for pay-per-play.

I reckon there'd be a few stuck at home playing on their own with a simulator instead of out there looking for new courses.

The sad thing is those simulators probably give then a false idea of what they can actually do on a course.

matty
24th May 2014, 08:32 AM
I dream of once a fortnight.

But I bet when the membership drive for juniors is on the committee is happy for the course to be very busy.

BenM
24th May 2014, 08:44 AM
But I bet when the membership drive for juniors is on the committee is happy for the course to be very busy.

Correct!

Hatchman
24th May 2014, 09:04 AM

When that happens the committee wants the course played at all hours of the day and night and often multiple rounds on the same day.

Outcast
24th May 2014, 09:28 AM
But, then the course is often closed once the junior members are on the books...

Buzz
24th May 2014, 09:38 AM
But I bet when the membership drive for juniors is on the committee is happy for the course to be very busy. I can vouch for that ... However once a junior member signs on for his nine month probation, opportunites for the senior member to play the course are significantly reduced again.

BenM
24th May 2014, 11:01 AM
I can vouch for that ... However once a junior member signs on for his nine month probation, opportunites for the senior member to play the course are significantly reduced again.

This is what I am finding. Opportunities to play have once again become severely limited. Though I have heard that on some courses if there are junior members awaiting their board acceptance, the course becomes far more playable in the latter stages of the probationary period (albeit it may need to be played slightly differently as the layout is considerably wider).

Buzz
24th May 2014, 11:13 AM
This is what I am finding. Opportunities to play have once again become severely limited. Though I have heard that on some courses if there are junior members awaiting their board acceptance, the course becomes far more playable in the latter stages of the probationary period (albeit it may need to be played slightly differently as the layout is considerably wider).Indeed ... I have heard these reports too. Instead I'm finding the course is closed for prolonged periods but there is the occasional day where the committee encourages me to play several rounds in a day.

Hatchman
24th May 2014, 11:20 AM
It's seems to be very true that in the last month or two before the junior member's 9 month probation is up the course is open for play more frequently post junior sign up.

This must be a tactic by the committee to keep the member interested in maintaining membership while the state of the course has altered before closing for a while.

Grunt
24th May 2014, 02:29 PM
Geez that's tough ... I guess the committee at the other course can't confirm you never made a booking?
One good thing was the other course was A grade so to be accused meant I must be playing ok. A far as I know the other course is a known to go on membership drives. Rumour was spread from other courses amongst junior cadet training meeting.

Hatchman
24th May 2014, 08:14 PM
Is it poor form to play on a course without getting the name of the course?

drobbo
24th May 2014, 08:21 PM

Not if you play a quick 9 and leave, however if you intend to have another round or call in for a meal, the name is critical.

Anyone keep a collection of the courses they have played?

mrbluu
24th May 2014, 11:58 PM
If its been a while since I've got to play a round I find that's I sometimes play the front 9 very quickly, which is fine for me but course management is some times not pleased. I make up for it by taking more time to make sure than second 9 is played to the management's satisfaction.

liptout
25th May 2014, 07:04 AM
Before I was a member of an exclusive private course, I used to play any course I would come across.....

Long courses with narrow fairways, short courses with wide fairways and big landing areas, courses with a lot of rough and some without. And even courses with a lot of very obvious hazards...... It didn't matter too much, I just wanted to play.

Only problem was though on some of the courses I must have been allergic to what substance they used for their maintenance, cause many a time after I walked out of the club house I would be all itchy and couldn't stop scratching!! :?

Marto65
25th May 2014, 07:37 AM
I can vouch for that ... However once a junior member signs on for his nine month probation, opportunites for the senior member to play the course are significantly reduced again.

Maybe the committee don't want the new juniors getting wet or getting a bump on the head.

Hatchman
25th May 2014, 08:12 AM
Before I was a member of an exclusive private course, I used to play any course I would come across.....

Long courses with narrow fairways, short courses with wide fairways and big landing areas, courses with a lot of rough and some without. And even courses with a lot of very obvious hazards...... It didn't matter too much, I just wanted to play.

Only problem was though on some of the courses I must have been allergic to what substance they used for their maintenance, cause many a time after I walked out of the club house I would be all itchy and couldn't stop scratching!! :?

Some of those courses must have been by the sea as during certain times the crabs move in. Little buggers tend to attach to the players equipment for migration to another course.

Hatchman
25th May 2014, 08:33 AM
If its been a while since I've got to play a round I find that's I sometimes play the front 9 very quickly, which is fine for me but course management is some times not pleased. I make up for it by taking more time to make sure than second 9 is played to the management's satisfaction.

You take a mulligan for the whole front 9?

Marto65
25th May 2014, 08:56 AM
Anyone ever got to a new course, whipped out the big dog and realised someone has put in the senior flex shaft?

Ron Burgundy
25th May 2014, 09:09 AM
Anyone ever got to a new course, whipped out the big dog and realised someone has put in the senior flex shaft? Only the once. Had gone a little heavy on the deer antler powder pre-round.

Dcanto
25th May 2014, 02:27 PM
During my uni days a mate was invited to play a new course. He had quite a few pre-round beverages and happened to make a comment to the committee that he thought the round would be more enjoyable if the fairways and greens were cut very low. The committee agreed to his request provided he was willing to operate the fairway / greens mower. Given the amount of beverages consumed it was lucky that he didn't destroy the greens before playing his round.

Marto65
25th May 2014, 03:27 PM
Does anyone play on a course that has been reconstructed?

dc68
25th May 2014, 03:35 PM

I have been removed from a course because of confusion and using a previous courses name mid round.

Hatchman
25th May 2014, 03:41 PM
I have been removed from a course because of confusion and using a previous courses name mid round.

Nearly spat my drink reading that.

Outcast
25th May 2014, 03:42 PM
It's seems to be very true that in the last month or two before the junior member's 9 month probation is up the course is open for play more frequently post junior sign up.

This must be a tactic by the committee to keep the member interested in maintaining membership while the state of the course has altered before closing for a while.

I believe that after the junior has finished their 9 month probation the course usually needs to be tightened up a fair bit to ensure continued interest in playing into the future

Lobsta
25th May 2014, 05:46 PM
I believe that after the junior has finished their 9 month probation the course usually needs to be tightened up a fair bit to ensure continued interest in playing into the future

I've heard of a rather reputable greenkeeper who specializes in this sort of maintenance.

Kègèl Exèrcise (I think he's German or something. Possibly Dutch)

LeftyHoges
28th May 2014, 12:16 PM
Sometimes when I play too fast I rush my stroke and come over the top.

Buzz
28th May 2014, 12:19 PM
Sometimes when I play too fast I rush my stroke and come over the top. Topping isn't the worst problem you can have ...I am finding lately the committee is very happy for the practice facilities to be used but play on the full course is not encouraged.

mrbluu
28th May 2014, 12:32 PM
After closing the course for play for around 10 days, the committee has of a sudden has been encouraging frequent play. Not that I'm currently disappointed, but so consistency in tee times would be much better.

Yossarian
28th May 2014, 12:33 PM
This thread is starting to remind me of 'Are You Being Served'.

Johnny Canuck
28th May 2014, 12:34 PM
I have heard that Asians use smaller clubs.

mrbluu
28th May 2014, 01:38 PM

You've heard wrong, I've played many course from around the world and there has been no issues.

Outcast
28th May 2014, 02:17 PM
You've heard wrong, I've played many course from around the world and there has been no issues.

I've heard Asian courses are tighter so, wouldn't necessarily notice smaller clubs anyways...

Captain Nemo
28th May 2014, 02:20 PM
Love a tight course, should i have played some when i was in Phuket over Easter?

Outcast
28th May 2014, 02:21 PM
Love a tight course, should i have played some when i was in Phuket over Easter?

Probably not, I imagine it would have likely voided your Home club membership, committees can be a bit funny about members playing other courses

Hatchman
28th May 2014, 02:30 PM

World fantasy tour.
I was up to 19 courses from different countries (some pay to play, other free entry) without leaving Australia before joining as a member.

mrbluu
28th May 2014, 02:32 PM
World fantasy tour.
I was up to 19 courses from different countries (some pay to play, other free entry) without leaving Australia before joining as a member.

Good job!!! I wished I had played a few extra course before taking up membership.

Outcast
28th May 2014, 02:47 PM
I've considered resigning my membership a few times to enable play at other courses but, the residual costs are too high...

Buzz
28th May 2014, 03:06 PM
You know I winder if it's threads like these why we seemingly have few female members ...

Hatchman
28th May 2014, 03:54 PM
You know I winder if it's threads like these why we seemingly have few female members ...

And the problem with that is.............?

MegaWatty
28th May 2014, 04:12 PM
Has anyone had the sprinklers turned on them whilst they're down looking for their ball in the hole?

Hatchman
28th May 2014, 06:04 PM
Has anyone had the sprinklers turned on them whilst they're down looking for their ball in the hole?

Are you referring to the course self fertilising with urea or the other sprinkler system that squirts?

I've had the later with my current members course but only when retrieving by hand.

Lobsta
28th May 2014, 06:24 PM
This thread has taken a definite turn downhill...

oldracer
28th May 2014, 06:27 PM
just spent a bit of time reading this.......now wiping the tears away, very very funny, well done, you lot are a wasted talent

oldracer
28th May 2014, 06:29 PM
threads like this induce a "what's so funny" from my minister, very hard to explain....

Outcast
28th May 2014, 06:51 PM
If playing a course for the first time should one ask for a course guide & enquire whether the back 9 is open for play?

Shadesy
28th May 2014, 07:32 PM

Some asian courses have one to many doglegs if not careful.

Is playkng 100+ Courses acceptable even if you current course doesn't know and you are happy with them!

Captain Nemo
28th May 2014, 07:35 PM
More courses the better I say...

backintheswing
28th May 2014, 07:36 PM
Are you referring to the course self fertilising with urea or the other sprinkler system that squirts?

I've had the later with my current members course but only when retrieving by hand.

Now we know!!!!

magman
28th May 2014, 10:52 PM
I been playing the same course for 18 years, membership expanded 3 times and I still play it 2-3x a week. Lately the rough has overgrown abit, and I really am enjoying it for a change. Even GUR and the course gets played.
Love a hairy pie before I play, or even play a bit then pop in for a pie, makes the pie seem hotter and moist if you play a few strokes before.
Never got onto the back 9, even though I been really keen. Any tips to get on the back?

oldracer
28th May 2014, 11:41 PM
applaud your consistency with the home course, negotiation may be the key to playing the back 9, course management will certainly need to be consulted I believe

KristianJ
28th May 2014, 11:46 PM

Any issues with coming too early for the course's liking?

magman
29th May 2014, 12:00 AM
applaud your consistency with the home course, negotiation may be the key to playing the back 9, course management will certainly need to be consulted I believe

I think the longer you have played the same course, the harder it is to get onto the back 9

LeftyHoges
29th May 2014, 12:02 AM

I would think so. Pretty rare for management to let you on the back nine without proper consulting.

Paying additional green fees could help.

Captain Nemo
29th May 2014, 06:56 AM
I hate when green fees jump withput notice, I play real ****en slow for a while after that...

Lagerlover
29th May 2014, 07:11 AM
My local has served me well, and was a great course in the early days, produced a couple of good juniors.
Unfortunately these days it's a little tired, with the signature hole know fairly overgrown and more often than not out of play.

Ashes
29th May 2014, 09:08 AM
Some asian courses have one to many doglegs if not careful.

Is playkng 100+ Courses acceptable even if you current course doesn't know and you are happy with them!

What are your thoughts on playing a course with another golfer involved? Few high fives mid-round the go?

Is it an issue if your club accidentally makes contact with the other golfers club?

Buzz
29th May 2014, 10:47 AM
What are your thoughts on playing a course with another golfer involved? Few high fives mid-round the go?Is it an issue if your club accidentally makes contact with the other golfers club? Sounds like a two stroke penalty to me

Daves
29th May 2014, 10:49 AM
What are your thoughts on playing a course with another golfer involved? Few high fives mid-round the go?

Is it an issue if your club accidentally makes contact with the other golfers club?

You need to be really careful to avoid eye damage!

Outcast
29th May 2014, 11:31 AM

I think this rules video covers your query...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7gwX7rjOw

Hatchman
29th May 2014, 12:07 PM

Are you suggesting a mid round sandwich?

Contact with clubs is strict no no and should be immediate disqualification of the instigator.

magman
29th May 2014, 12:57 PM
Contact with clubs is strict no no and should be immediate disqualification of the instigator.

yaeh, agree, don't want my proV1's coming in contact with someone else's dunlop or topflite's, you never know if he picked em up at the range

magman
29th May 2014, 12:59 PM
just realised, the course I have been playing all these years, can best be played as a Mizuno In Long Fairways..........

Looney
29th May 2014, 01:55 PM
Has anyone ever played 2 courses at the one time? how did the 2 courses treat each other and as a 2 course player how was your game?

Captain Nemo
29th May 2014, 02:08 PM
Has anyone ever played 2 courses at the one time? how did the 2 courses treat each other and as a 2 course player how was your game?
Been there done that, on very similar style courses....
My personal game was outstanding although i rushed though a few holes early a bit quick.
Once i found my rhythm, all was good.
The 2 course treated each other with respect, these where Group 1 Courses...

Looney
29th May 2014, 02:22 PM
great to hear titleist were they pay for play or were you invited for a free round?

Captain Nemo
29th May 2014, 02:33 PM
great to hear titleist were they pay for play or were you invited for a free round?

Free round.
I was a member of one course and the other course was "reciprocal"
Not the course I'm a member of now though....
I think i still have pics of the round somewhere!

mrbluu
29th May 2014, 04:00 PM
I think i still have pics of the round somewhere!

Do u still have my email, I like looking a photos of nice courses :D

Captain Nemo
29th May 2014, 04:01 PM
Do u still have my email, I like looking a photos of nice courses :D

Come to think of it, i think they are on vhs!

Hatchman
29th May 2014, 04:36 PM
Come to think of it, i think they are on vhs!

Boom Chica Wow Wow.
I've come to clean zee pool.

Captain Nemo
29th May 2014, 04:52 PM
Anyone played another course and you where the low marker "swinger"?
How'd it go....

BrisWesty
30th May 2014, 12:33 PM
I'm very happy with my course. I still enjoy it and it still intrigues me after 20 years. Have always been very impressed by the mounding and the layout. I'm still learning more about the course and hopefully get to continue membership for the next 40+ years. Would like to play more often though. There's a goodly supply of juniors that have come through.

It probably thinks I'm just a hacker off 20 who thinks he's a scratch golfer.

Hatchman
30th May 2014, 04:16 PM
I'm very happy with my course. I still enjoy it and it still intrigues me after 20 years. Have always been very impressed by the mounding and the layout. I'm still learning more about the course and hopefully get to continue membership for the next 40+ years. Would like to play more often though. There's a goodly supply of juniors that have come through.

It probably thinks I'm just a hacker off 20 who thinks he's a scratch golfer.

So you talk up your game then fail to deliver?

BrisWesty
30th May 2014, 07:12 PM
So you talk up your game then fail to deliver?

Something like that. I'd love to have more opportunities to practice and at least be off single figures!

Johnny Canuck
30th May 2014, 08:51 PM
Anyone ever shoot a very good score on a course and get invites to play other courses as a result?

God bless sorority girls.

Ashes
30th May 2014, 08:54 PM
Anyone ever shoot a very good score on a course and get invites to play other courses as a result?

God bless sorority girls.

4 and 5 jacking doesn't get you positive reviews.

Hatchman
1st June 2014, 09:20 AM
How many have videoed their play on the course and reviewed the game?

How easy was it to convince course management that it was a good idea?

Captain Nemo
1st June 2014, 11:31 AM
I've still got footage of a good round on handycam or VHS tape somewhere!

Tongueboy
1st June 2014, 02:14 PM
I remember in my past maybe 10 yeras ago i played four different courses in 5 days. It was like a golfing trip like no other. I ate at all of the tracks too. And tan tracked one of them. Hi Sharon!

drobbo
1st June 2014, 03:02 PM
I remember in my past maybe 10 yeras ago i played four different courses in 5 days. It was like a golfing trip like no other. I ate at all of the tracks too. And tan tracked one of them. Hi Sharon!

Is that where your forum name came from? :p

Tongueboy
1st June 2014, 03:45 PM
The one I tan tracked gave me that tag! God love her!

sms316
12th June 2014, 01:50 PM
Seems that I may have been given conditional approval to add a second nine to the course. Any tips on how to integrate in order to have a completed fun course?

Captain Nemo
12th June 2014, 02:28 PM
?

Dotty
12th June 2014, 02:29 PM
Is that the course in your avatar?

sms316
12th June 2014, 02:36 PM
Is that the course in your avatar?
No mate. That's Nambour. I'm thinking something more like Links Lady Bay.

Tongueboy
12th June 2014, 02:38 PM
Be careful around the taint.

Hatchman
12th June 2014, 06:08 PM
Seems that I may have been given conditional approval to add a second nine to the course. Any tips on how to integrate in order to have a completed fun course?

Pot the pink before going for the brown, worth more points.

Whoops wrong game, concept same thou.

Haystacks
13th June 2014, 11:44 AM
Make sure you clean your equipment thoroughly after playing the back nine...and definitely no swapping between back nine & front nine repeatedly-you don't want cross contamination!

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 11:46 AM
Make sure you clean your equipment thoroughly after playing the back nine...and definitely no swapping between back nine & front nine repeatedly-you don't want cross contamination!

Wire Brush?
:smt103

sms316
13th June 2014, 11:50 AM
Pot the pink before going for the brown, worth more points.

Whoops wrong game, concept same thou.

Wire Brush?
Wrong tangent lads. I'm talking more about a composite course.

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 11:53 AM
Like Nudgee or Royal Melbourne....!
:lol:

Haystacks
13th June 2014, 12:09 PM

Righto then...not front nine and back nine, but another front nine. Any possibility of 27 holes, or even 36 over the two courses?

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 12:13 PM
Got any Pics,course notes?
:)

sms316
13th June 2014, 12:34 PM
Righto then...not front nine and back nine, but another front nine. Any possibility of 27 holes, or even 36 over the two courses? If it happens I'll be playing as many holes as possible.

graham_w
13th June 2014, 12:47 PM

WBennett
13th June 2014, 02:05 PM
It would be unfortunate if the other course only had blue tees, not red.

Lucasto23
13th June 2014, 02:32 PM
It seem this 2nd course could have very expensive joining fees in the long run

Hatchman
13th June 2014, 03:02 PM
Just watch out, one of the conditions could be play as a mens foursome championship.

sms316
13th June 2014, 03:11 PM
Just watch out, one of the conditions could be play as a mens foursome championship.
This has been discussed and decided against.

mrbluu
13th June 2014, 03:37 PM

Are you talking about a course that used to have staked hazard that has gone under redesign......

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 03:38 PM
Are you talking about a course that used to have staked hazard that has gone under redesign......

Thailand Course?

Dotty
13th June 2014, 03:42 PM
I don't think he wants to play the crying game.

Lagerlover
13th June 2014, 04:42 PM
Thailand Course?:smt103 Slope rating compared to your home track?

Hatchman
13th June 2014, 05:27 PM

I can't stop laughing at this.
That's gold mrbluu.

Haystacks
13th June 2014, 11:04 PM
Slope rating compared to your home track?

That's a special!