PDA

View Full Version : Teachers that spend too much time on social media

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2014, 03:45 PM
With the release of the new budget, cutbacks, assisted death and life in general, concerns have been raised about teachers utilising social media during school hours when in reality, they should be teaching our children or preparing lessons, marking, etc, when children are not in front of them.

Should we ban social media during school hours for both students AND teachers?

Discuss.

MegaWatty
21st May 2014, 03:46 PM
You'd think they'd have enough time in their 30 weeks of holidays a year!

meh
21st May 2014, 03:48 PM
Let the teacher bashing commence.....

MegaWatty
21st May 2014, 03:50 PM
Awesome! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/nemy7eja.jpg

meh
21st May 2014, 03:52 PM
What's the colour for sarcasm?

They deserve the holidays and more pay in my opinion.

MegaWatty
21st May 2014, 03:54 PM
You're missing the sarcasm in the whole thread.

PeteyD
21st May 2014, 03:54 PM
Something is wrong. I agree with meh.

Shadesy
21st May 2014, 03:57 PM
What's the colour for sarcasm? They deserve the holidays and more pay in my opinion.

I think they should get more family tax benefits.

meh
21st May 2014, 03:57 PM
You're missing the sarcasm in the whole thread.

Easy to miss, teacher bashing is on page one of the right winger hymn book.

coalesce
21st May 2014, 03:58 PM
Have the teachers been vaccinated?

MegaWatty
21st May 2014, 03:59 PM
Easy to miss, teacher bashing is on page one of the right winger hymn book.

Not the same hymn book I sing from. I have the world of respect for our children's teachers. I don't understand how anyone could put themselves through it these days.

meh
21st May 2014, 04:00 PM
Not the same hymn book I sing from. I have the world of respect for our children's teachers. I don't understand how anyone could put themselves through it these days.

Agreed. Lots of disrespectful little shits around.

MegaWatty
21st May 2014, 04:01 PM

Did we both just take a little toke of the peace pipe?

backintheswing
21st May 2014, 04:12 PM
When I saw the thread title on my phone, I assumed Mubbs had started another one! Lol

PeteyD
21st May 2014, 04:22 PM
Are Mubs and shorty related?

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2014, 04:36 PM
When I saw the thread title on my phone, I assumed Mubbs had started another one! Lol

;)

sms316
21st May 2014, 04:41 PM
And then they join unions in order to have zero responsibility for their actions.

matty
21st May 2014, 04:47 PM
My wife is a teacher and has copped abuse from parents the last couple of weeks for insisting assignments be handed in or zero marks awarded. The amount of self entitlement from kids these days is staggering but I think it's a reflection of modern parenting.

Dangals
21st May 2014, 05:01 PM
You will find idiots in any profession that abuse their position but I do not see why teachers get targeted like they do. Most work hard both during 'school hours' and well outside of those whether its planning for lessons, marking work, writing reports etc.

Now I may be a little biased as my wife is a high school teacher but frankly when she comes home telling me that she had a kid pull a knife in class or that the kids have done nothing but abuse her all lesson I am not certain there is any amount of money that justify what they have to go through. Again there are always going to be exceptions to the rule but why should that.

+10000000000 to what Matty said - it seems that parents want to dump more and more responsibilties on teachers to actually raise their kids rather than do it themselves but dont want to pay them to do it on top of actually teach their kids....

Buzz
21st May 2014, 05:23 PM
My wife is a teacher and has copped abuse from parents the last couple of weeks for insisting assignments be handed in or zero marks awarded. The amount of self entitlement from kids these days is staggering but I think it's a reflection of modern parenting. I'm in the reverse situation ... Teachers not enforcing deadlines so my son doesn't bother to hand things in because there are no consequences.Edit: there are consequences at home ! But the lesson he learns is Dad is tough but why because life is easy.

Lobsta
21st May 2014, 05:43 PM
There isn't enough money in the world that would make me want to go teach anything below university. You have to both care about the little shits, and refrain from hitting them. I'd struggle to do either.

Dotty
21st May 2014, 05:57 PM
There isn't enough money in the world that would make me want to go teach anything below university. You have to both care about the little shits, and refrain from hitting them. I'd struggle to do either.
At your age, I thought that about the 90% of the people walking into the pharmacy.

Lobsta
21st May 2014, 06:02 PM
Oh yeah, completely, but I can smugly overcharge them then laugh about their herpes riddled junk after they leave.

WBennett
21st May 2014, 06:48 PM
And then they join unions in order to have zero responsibility for their actions.

Its amazing how much time council workers have to post on forums, facebook and twitter during what would otherwise be working hours....

Glass houses etc?

Shortylook
21st May 2014, 06:52 PM
Are Mubs and shorty related?
Hey

Mububban
21st May 2014, 10:29 PM
Makes me glad I decided not to do teaching

Mayhem
22nd May 2014, 12:32 AM
Technology and social media is part of the classroom now. I use technology (ipads, macs and aplle TV) in class 3 times a week and i teach outdoor education and PE. Teaching and social media are not a long way apart these days.

With reference to slackers who don't have a heart for the job then social media would be an obvious distraction. I use it during the day but mostly as a professional networking tool. I have worked with people who 'work' only when kids are on campus, come and go when they do. I have also worked with dudes who do 60+ a week. You get out what you put in.

On a brighter note the holidays are great. Good family time. We only get paid for 4 weeks a year technically but have about 12. Most of those spent getting over all the diseases the kids have given us.

Mububban
22nd May 2014, 10:53 AM
I tip my hat to you Mayhem, you do a helluva tough job. A good teacher (or a bad one) is remembered for life.

LeftyHoges
22nd May 2014, 10:56 AM
Its amazing how much time council workers have to post on forums, facebook and twitter during what would otherwise be working hours....

Glass houses etc?

Ease up. ;)