PDA

View Full Version : Parry reckons game favours long hitters

Grunt
15th February 2006, 07:46 PM
Parry: Long hitters favouredby: Marcus WilsonSportal.com.auhttp://sportal.com.au/webi/space.gif

http://sportal.com.au/webi/space.gifVeteran golfer Craig Parry says his short stature and modest hitting power makes winning this week's Jacob's Creek Open a huge challenge.

The 40-year-old predicts players that are adept at striking the long ball will have a distinct advantage at Royal Adelaide.

"This is a tough golf course, yesterday, in the sea breeze, it was very difficult - I think the long hitters do have an advantage around this golf course," he said.

"They are able to hit medium to short irons into the long par fours whereas the rest of us are using long irons in and it's very difficult to control the ball.

"Once you're using a two iron, quail high, just getting it in really low and it's not going to stop that quick."

He also joked the designer of the South Australian course wasn't thinking of shorter players (Parry is 168cm tall) when designing the challenging layout.

"I'm playing alright but I always struggle around (Royal) Adelaide because a lot of the holes go right to left and a lot of the holes are blind to me," he said.

"I mean the six foot guys might be able see a few more of the fairways but a lot of the fairways are blind."

And despite being one of the event's high profile competitors, Parry says competition will be tough.

He's confident Australia's emerging golfers will perform well in this week's event.

"There are so many young players coming through and it's just so hard to keep up with all of them."

A crop of talented American players are also set to vie for the championship.

But Parry believes the local golfers will have the edge, especially heading into the final two days of the event.

"It definitely favours the Aussies because of way the golf course will play, it's going to play harder and faster as the time goes on," he said.

"The guys from America aren't going to be used to be able to hit the ball in low …in general it will suit the Aussies."

idgolfguy
23rd February 2009, 03:05 PM
The JW Classic at Vines is an example where course design didn't necessarily favour the long bombers.

Due to the course design, the long hitters had to throttle back to 3Ws and less to put the ball in attack positions. The long hitters could go the 'Big Dog' but they would have to be very accurate.

While walking with Aguilar (he could bomb it for his size) on a practise round on the Tuesday, we discussed the course setup. He felt that he had to play more shots that required him to be accurate and have to use mid-irons more than short irons.

He felt that the course dictated where he had to hit the ball rather than play his own game.

Ned
23rd February 2009, 03:09 PM
Drive for show and putt for $$$$$$$$$$$

zigwah
23rd February 2009, 03:11 PM
Someone just get him a milk crate

Ned
23rd February 2009, 03:14 PM
Someone just get him a milk crate

Pallett jack ?

Jarro
23rd February 2009, 03:17 PM
I bet a lot of the long-bombers wish they could chip'n'putt like Parry though ;)

Courty
23rd February 2009, 03:18 PM
He's got a point, although at 6'2" I still had trouble seeing many of the landing areas at Royal Adelaide.

Scottt
23rd February 2009, 03:47 PM
The JW Classic at Vines is an example where course design didn't necessarily favour the long bombers.

Due to the course design, the long hitters had to throttle back to 3Ws and less to put the ball in attack positions. The long hitters could go the 'Big Dog' but they would have to be very accurate.

While walking with Aguilar (he could bomb it for his size) on a practise round on the Tuesday, we discussed the course setup. He felt that he had to play more shots that required him to be accurate and have to use mid-irons more than short irons.

You're kidding, right. If they can hit a fairway wood or even a hybrid to the same place a shorter hitter hits driver, how can you say length isn't a massive bonus? 99% of golfers are more accurate with less club in their hands, so how is that not a benefit to being a big hitter?

dc68
23rd February 2009, 03:57 PM
Fairly stupid statement as of course a longer hitter is going to have an advantage over a shorter hitter given their skill levels are similar.

virge666
23rd February 2009, 04:49 PM
Fairly stupid statement as of course a longer hitter is going to have an advantage over a shorter hitter given their skill levels are similar.

I am with you mate.

What a bloody stupid comment.

idgolfguy
23rd February 2009, 05:22 PM
His point was that when it came down to the shots requiring irons, there was not much of a difference in terms of distance and error margin when comparing a 6 iron to 7 iron. The high percentage areas didn't change whether you were long or short. The Vines' 'safe areas' did not require drivers even for the short hitters. They were fixed distances that did not require drivers even for the short hitters.

For example, the 17th did not require a driver unless you wanted to be playing your shot on a downslope. The flat spot on that hole was about 20-30 long. You either used a 6 iron or 7 iron in from there.

The 18th was the same. To reach the slope, you needed to carry 265m. Once you got there the slope carried you down to the 285-300m mark giving you about 165-180m in. For most this is a 1-1.5 club difference.

I saw Casey hit his drive past Dougherty on the 7th - about 15m in front. Casey's was 290m. He used an 8 iron cut in to 8ft. Dougherty used an 8 iron to 6ft.

TheTrueReview
23rd February 2009, 06:21 PM
Poor Craig. A couple of flaws in his argument.

(1) Have a look at his physique. A few less chicko rolls & perhaps some more medicine ball crunches (and the rest) might help. Craig, give Tiger a call. He may have a few tips.

(2) To use a tennis analogy, imagine the laughter if someone like Hewitt claimed that the harder hitters had an advantage over the others. Duh?

Oh, and perhaps to throw in Craig's comment about having to hit two iron which is going to come in too low. Get a bloody hybrid mate if you want to launch higher. http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/imho.gif

adlo
23rd February 2009, 06:57 PM

(1) Have a look at his physique. A few less chicko rolls & perhaps some more medicine ball crunches (and the rest) might help. Craig, give Tiger a call. He may have a few tips.

(2) To use a tennis analogy, imagine the laughter if someone like Hewitt claimed that the harder hitters had an advantage over the others. Duh?

Oh, and perhaps to throw in Craig's comment about having to hit two iron which is going to come in too low. Get a bloody hybrid mate if you want to launch higher. http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/imho.gif
:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Quality post.

virge666
23rd February 2009, 07:07 PM

So what he is saying is that "Short fat guys can't beat anyone"

Really . . . never would have picked that.

henno
23rd February 2009, 09:22 PM
Next thing you know, chunky ex-NRL front-rowers will be complaining that forwards in the modern game need to be fit athletes; the fat bastards simply cannot compete.

News just in: Short players have a disadvantage in basketball! :shock:

BrisVegas
24th February 2009, 08:45 AM
Being a short-arse who hit's worm burners never stopped Corey Pavin. I'm sick of hearing these whiney sound bites from Parry.

Iain
24th February 2009, 09:57 AM
Being a short-arse who hit's worm burners never stopped Corey Pavin. I'm sick of hearing these whiney sound bites from Parry.

Or Justin Leonard.

I don't think Zach Johnson is a long hitter either.

adlo
24th February 2009, 10:00 AM
Ben Curtis too.

In Golf Digest WITB, his driver distance is 250m and 7 iron is 150m.

3oneday
24th February 2009, 11:08 AM
I'm sick of hearing these whiney sound bites from Parry.
that's probably why he said it in 2006 ;)

Someone has been digging up old threads again !

:lol:

idgolfguy
24th February 2009, 02:39 PM
Tim Clark is about a 4HC distance off all his clubs. He's 5'7'' and hits about 250m with the BigDog.

sms316
24th February 2009, 02:43 PM
But he uses a cheating stick.

idgolfguy
24th February 2009, 02:45 PM
They should be banned. However, if they did, there would be almost no one playing on the Champions.

sms316
24th February 2009, 02:46 PM
So what? Who watches the senior tour anyway?

idgolfguy
24th February 2009, 02:59 PM
If that tour dies, how am I going to get onto the pro circuit in a few years?

Courty
24th February 2009, 03:41 PM
I'll see your Zach Johnson & raise you a David Toms. :mrgreen:

Iain
24th February 2009, 04:16 PM
I'll see your Zach Johnson & raise you a David Toms. :mrgreen:

Fred Funk....

Check mate.... 8-)

virge666
24th February 2009, 07:02 PM
These short arse fat guys can win, but they have to have 4 rounds of dead set flushing the pill . . . or a wedge game weekend that we can only dream of. Otherwise they just don't get enough goes at birdie putts.

Or you can be like a Lonard or Sergio - where you flush it all day long and can't sink a thing.

The days of having a Seve or Pavin or Parry or Fred Funk are gone unless the ball changes and accuracy becomes a premium again. Right now - I would happily be in the rough with a 9 iron than in the fairway with a 7 iron.

markTHEblake
24th February 2009, 07:38 PM
that's probably why he said it in 2006 ;)

and i doubt his management arranged a press conference to make this announcement. He was asked "do you think the game favours long hitters"