PDA

View Full Version : 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

Captain Nemo
14th May 2014, 01:22 PM
Lets start the ball rolling.
I know we will prob not progress or may not win a game but...
Ange has announced his team, what say you?
Lacking quality forwards is a concern....

GOALKEEPERS
Mark BIRIGHITTI (Newcastle Jets FC, AUSTRALIA)
Eugene GALEKOVIC (Adelaide United FC, AUSTRALIA)
Mitchell LANGERAK (B.V. Borussia 09 Dortmund, GERMANY)
Mat RYAN (Club Brugge KV, BELGIUM)
DEFENDERS
Jason DAVIDSON (SC Heracles Almelo, NETHERLANDS)
Ivan FRANJIC (Brisbane Roar FC, AUSTRALIA)
Curtis GOOD (Dundee United FC, SCOTLAND)
Ryan McGOWAN (Shandong Luneng Taishan FC, CHINA)
Matthew SPIRANOVIC (Western Sydney Wanderers FC, AUSTRALIA)
Alex WILKINSON (Jeonbuk Hyundai FC, KOREA REPUBLIC)
Luke WILKSHIRE (FK Dinamo Moscow, RUSSIA)
Bailey WRIGHT (Preston North End FC, ENGLAND)
MIDFIELDERS
Oliver BOZANIC (FC Luzern, SWITZERLAND)
Mark BRESCIANO (Al Gharafa, QATAR)
Joshua BRILLANTE (Newcastle Jets FC, AUSTRALIA)
James HOLLAND (FK Austria Vienna, AUSTRIA)
Mile JEDINAK (Crystal Palace FC, ENGLAND)
Massimo LUONGO (Swindon Town FC, ENGLAND)
Matthew McKAY (Brisbane ROAR FC, AUSTRALIA)
Mark MILLIGAN (Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA)
Tommy OAR (FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS)
Tommy ROGIC (Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA)
Adam SAROTA (FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS)
James TROISI (Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA)
Dario VIDOSIC (FC Sion, SWITZERLAND)
FORWARDS
Tim CAHILL (New York Red Bulls, USA)
Ben HALLORAN (Fortuna Dusseldorf, GERMANY)
Josh KENNEDY (Nagoya Grampus 8, JAPAN)
Matthew LECKIE (FSV Frankfurt 1899, GERMANY)
Adam TAGGART (Newcastle Jets FC, AUSTRALIA)

simmsy
14th May 2014, 01:33 PM
I'm bored.

This over yet.

meh
14th May 2014, 02:20 PM
Lacking quality is a concern. Three nil nil draws would be a great result. Park the bus!!

KristianJ
14th May 2014, 02:48 PM
Lacking quality is a concern. Three nil nil draws would be a great result. Park the bus!! No time for that bus to stop if it's hopping its way into history...

wazandnic
14th May 2014, 02:50 PM
Lacking quality is a concern. Three nil nil draws would be a great result. Park the bus!!

ha ha... that's along the lines of what I told my U8 team on the weekend... "if the opposition doesn't score, we can't loose"!

Took them a while to take it in and I don't reckon half of them still know what I was talking about... but we we did win, 3 - zip. :)

LeftyHoges
14th May 2014, 02:55 PM
We'll need Jose Mourinho and Sam Allardyce managing this team to go anywhere. Park 2 buses and hope like hell we can hit something on the counter.

If we attack at all the results WILL NOT be good.

yarn
14th May 2014, 03:20 PM
I am glad he picked the side he did. We may have little experience, but they will do as good as any others that could have been picked. I don't think we will get as smashed as people think. Great idea picking a team for the future.

Shadesy
14th May 2014, 03:38 PM
We'll need Jose Mourinho and Sam Allardyce managing this team to go anywhere. Park 2 buses and hope like hell we can hit something on the counter. If we attack at all the results WILL NOT be good.

The defence looks rock solid...

LeftyHoges
14th May 2014, 03:41 PM
The defence looks rock solid...

You amuse me Shadesy, you really do. :lol:

Yossarian
14th May 2014, 03:44 PM
This weakness pleases me. The shitter we are the quicker this will all be over.

LeftyHoges
14th May 2014, 03:46 PM
This weakness pleases me. The shitter we are the quicker this will all be over.

C'mon Yoss, let us have these 2 months every 4 years.

Yossarian
14th May 2014, 03:49 PM
No. Soccer must die.

Gollfer69
14th May 2014, 04:01 PM
What time do I have to get up to watch this stuff ?

coalesce
14th May 2014, 04:04 PM
What time do I have to get up to watch this stuff ?

Scroll down to the Matches section here (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/groups/group=255935/index.html).

PeteyD
14th May 2014, 04:07 PM
In that pool we are decidedly rooted.

Shadesy
14th May 2014, 04:17 PM
You amuse me Shadesy, you really do. :lol:

I'm not sure if its the Guy from Preston North End or the West Sydney Wanderers will be more assured against Iniesta, Alonso, Silva , Xavi and co. pinging it around for Costa and Villa..

Shadesy
14th May 2014, 04:39 PM
*Football

3oneday
14th May 2014, 05:40 PM
Start date? Or is that in a seperate thread?

From memory, June long weekend?

WBennett
14th May 2014, 06:07 PM
Ogenovski should haveade the squad. He is a hard prick.

Yossarian
14th May 2014, 08:42 PM
*Football Soccer.

simmsy
14th May 2014, 08:53 PM
*Football

why aren't they called the "Footballeroos" then?

Shadesy
14th May 2014, 10:55 PM
why aren't they called the "Footballeroos" then? That's just silly... I have never seen a footballeroo.

coalesce
15th May 2014, 09:43 AM
That's just silly... I have never seen a footballeroo.

I think I fed one at Steve Irwin's zoo once

Captain Nemo
26th May 2014, 08:21 PM
All starts with a good game tonight!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/26/a7yzamaj.jpg

Shreko
26th May 2014, 08:32 PM
Great game so far, really fast paced

3Puttpete
26th May 2014, 09:04 PM
What's with the orange ball? Are we expecting snow?

coalesce
27th May 2014, 10:41 AM
What's with the orange ball? Are we expecting snow?

Not until 2022 in Qatar

LeftyHoges
27th May 2014, 12:50 PM
If that's the best dross Aus can serve up we are in 1000 worlds of hurt for Brazil.

But on the bright side, at least we'll only get knocked out one stage before England. :mrgreen:

PeteyD
27th May 2014, 03:03 PM
I saw one of the British bookies, Paddy Power ?? offering 100-1 on England. Clever ad with people admitting they were betting on other countries.

Captain Nemo
27th May 2014, 03:33 PM
I saw one of the British bookies, Paddy Power ?? offering 100-1 on England. Clever ad with people admitting they were betting on other countries.

On them winning the world cup?
They will be extremely lucky to get through their group....

coalesce
27th May 2014, 03:38 PM
In any football tournaments, if you look at the odds with English bookies, England are always among the favourites.

This is stoked up by the media hyping up the team, which means more people bet, which means bookies reduce the odds to hedge their risk to it actually happening.

Maybe Paddy Power have decided that the chances of England winning are so slim, there is no risk so they can buy free money by having attractive odds.

I would imagine there are enough conditions on it to make it not worth any back-to-lay strategy...

coalesce
27th May 2014, 03:42 PM
Here's the offer (http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2014/05/betting-england-100-1-to-win-the-world-cup-paddy-power-offer/) if anyone is stupid enough to bet on it. Gambling sites are blocked for me so I can't check the fine print...

Captain Nemo
27th May 2014, 03:50 PM
In any football tournaments, if you look at the odds with English bookies, England are always among the favourites.

This is stoked up by the media hyping up the team, which means more people bet, which means bookies reduce the odds to hedge their risk to it actually happening.

Maybe Paddy Power have decided that the chances of England winning are so slim, there is no risk so they can buy free money by having attractive odds.

I would imagine there are enough conditions on it to make it not worth any back-to-lay strategy...

And you dont?

coalesce
27th May 2014, 04:02 PM
And you dont?

Pff, England might scrape through their group, but they won't win.

I won't care either way - I'll support them due to my history of living in England and one side of the family being English, but I would rather have the chance to support Wales (from the other side of the family) except we didn't qualify.

Sidenote, moving to Aus has really screwed up my use of the words "we", "home" and "pants"

LeftyHoges
27th May 2014, 04:02 PM
And you dont?

Well he is a native, he's bred to believe that England can win every World Cup. ;)

LeftyHoges
27th May 2014, 04:03 PM
Pff, England might scrape through their group, but they won't win.

I won't care either way - I'll support them due to my history of living in England and one side of the family being English, but I would rather have the chance to support Wales (from the other side of the family) except we didn't qualify.

Sidenote, moving to Aus has really screwed up my use of the words "we", "home" and "pants"

Here's a phrase that will help with all:

"We are pants at home (and away)"

PeteyD
27th May 2014, 05:22 PM
Here you go laddies and ladies, see if anyone can tip all 48 pool matches:

Kogan Brazilian Millian (http://www.brazilianmillion.com/?utm_source=kogan&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=brazilianmillion)

Buzz
27th May 2014, 06:32 PM
I'm in a sweep at work and picked up Germany, Belgium and Portugal ... Happy with that, three competitive sides.

coalesce
29th May 2014, 04:08 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/may/28/stephen-hawking-formulae-england-world-cup-success

I wonder what odds you could get on Stephen Hawking being next week's Spurs manager?

goughy
1st June 2014, 01:13 PM
Think this is a warm up friendly, so worthy of being in here. Awesome stuff!
http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/glorious-paper-plane-throw-sends-crowd-wild-in-football-friendly-between-england-and-peru/story-fndkzvnd-1226938757016

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd June 2014, 05:47 PM
We won't do well - I have a feeling we may jag one draw and lose the other two - but given we're the lowest ranked team to make the World Cup Finals, that shouldn't realistically dishearten anyone...and won't dishearten anyone who knows anything about the game. But if we show some fortitude it'll bode well for the Asian Cup on our shores next year.
I'm picking Spain, Brazil, Argentina, or Holland to take the Cup, but you can never count out ze Germans:). It's going to be a massive bummer that one of Brazil, Spain or Holland will be going home after the second round.
Considering the hardcore group the Socceroos ended up in, there's three or four absolutely piss-easy groups (C, E, F, H) that we could well have had a fair chance of advancing out of. But it's a much different team to what we had in Sth Africa, and that was a different team to what we had in Germany, so let's just temper our expectations.

Gollfer69
2nd June 2014, 05:51 PM
Player of Tourney..Messi
Golden Boot...Muller
Winner Germany
Aussies 0 wins, 0 goals.

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd June 2014, 06:21 PM
Player of Tourney..Messi
Golden Boot...Muller
Winner Germany
Aussies 0 wins, 0 goals.

Germany are always super solid, but not sure they have as strong of a team as they had four years ago. Seriously, those 4-1, 4-0 (think that's what they were) demolitions of England and Argentina were insane. Made the Socceroos 4-0 loss to Germany in the group stage look not that bad. Still, Ozil is one of the best attacking midfielders in the game...was pretty chuffed when The Gunners (my team) signed him..even if we let the Premiership slip for yet another season:(.

3Puttpete
3rd June 2014, 11:22 PM
The 4 players to miss out on the final squad are Mark Birighitti, Josh Kennedy, Tom Rogic & Luke Wilkshire

Captain Nemo
4th June 2014, 06:56 AM
Player of Tourney..Messi
Golden Boot...Muller
Winner Germany
Aussies 0 wins, 0 goals.

Multi!
:)

Captain Nemo
4th June 2014, 06:58 AM
The 4 players to miss out on the final squad are Mark Birighitti, Josh Kennedy, Tom Rogic & Luke Wilkshire
Kennedy surprises me...
Wiltshire looks like he's on tired legs
Birighittti was injured I think?
Rogic is a mystery!

Gollfer69
4th June 2014, 08:23 AM
Rogic and Kennedy injured

Captain Nemo
4th June 2014, 08:25 AM
Well looks like they are all injured, so obvious choices bar Wilkshire?

Gollfer69
4th June 2014, 09:30 AM
Had 2 $5 multis on the weekend with a $14 winner into Messi Player of the tourney and Muller Golden boot. So I got a handy interest already for bugger all outlay. Over two grand if Muller gets up.

I like the Germans for the win.

Captain Nemo
4th June 2014, 09:37 AM
Ive had a crack @ Italy to reach semi's @ $5.50
Thats it for now...

Icestorm959
4th June 2014, 09:37 AM
They could all be in and we'd still struggle to score a goal in that group!

FuzzyJuzzy
4th June 2014, 09:46 AM
Had 2 $5 multis on the weekend with a $14 winner into Messi Player of the tourney and Muller Golden boot. So I got a handy interest already for bugger all outlay. Over two grand if Muller gets up.

I like the Germans for the win.

Not sure if Germany is as strong as they were four years ago. But, like Brazil, they always finish near the top of the pile come the end of the tourney. I've not gone through the full draw yet, but, assuming they don't meet in second round or quarters, I'd be looking at Spain, Brazil, Argentina…and probably Germany to fill the four semi-final spots. The Dutch have always been my favourite international team, but if they don't top their group and have to face Brazil in the second round they'll be pushing shite uphill:(. Although, they rolled Brazil in the quarters in Sth Africa…. . For the World Cup to likely lose either Spain, Brazil or Holland in the second round is going to be a shame. If it's Brazil, expect to see some seriously angry Brazilians setting cars alight and breaking shite en masse!
Dark horses, not to win it all but to go deeper than expected, I'd say Uruguary, Croatia, Japan and Ghana. Got a work mate who's going over for three weeks - he's Croatian heritage, so will be going to most of the Croatia and Bosnia games. He's going to one in the freaking Amazon!!!

FuzzyJuzzy
4th June 2014, 09:47 AM
Oh, check this out. Pretty hilarious - shows Americans really have no idea about the World Game:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/fifa-world-cup-2014-prankster-baha-salamah-tests-americans-knowledge/story-fnkjl6g2-1226942252768

coalesce
12th June 2014, 05:26 PM
http://www.sportal.com.au/football/socceroos/what-time-do-world-cup-matches-start/y053v4iz6mno1dyb8ls7zpcx9

All the matches and their kick off times in the various Australian time zones.

Bruce Dickinson
12th June 2014, 05:39 PM
Belgium are an underrated side, undefeated in the qualifying group stage with some quality players.

20/1 to win, 3/1 to make the semis

coalesce
12th June 2014, 05:51 PM
Belgium are an underrated side, undefeated in the qualifying group stage with some quality players.

20/1 to win, 3/1 to make the semis

Not sure - its a tough draw for them once they get to the knockout stage.

If we assume they win their group, they probably play Portugal (assuming they are 2nd to Germany in their group), which they might win, but then Argentina (assuming they win their group and beat probably Switzerland)

Courty
12th June 2014, 09:42 PM
Here's a couple of cool links I found:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/world-cup/

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/world-cup/#0,0,-1

PerryGroves
12th June 2014, 09:53 PM
Given Chile are in our group and I don't want to be seen as a "football" numpty, are we rolling with the the spice pronunciation or chill eh. It appears SBS are using the latter, surely Les wouldn't **** it up?

3Puttpete
12th June 2014, 10:18 PM
The world is full of questions, they fill me with fear.
What of our beginnings? Why are we here?
Is there a purpose? Is there a God?
But one question troubles me
Far more than this lot

PerryGroves
12th June 2014, 10:22 PM
The world is full of questions, they fill me with fear.
What of our beginnings? Why are we here?
Is there a purpose? Is there a God?
But one question troubles me
Far more than this lot

****ed if I know but you can shepherd Blakey back to the religion thread.

3Puttpete
12th June 2014, 10:26 PM
http://youtu.be/-Xs1lUK4jas

Golfnut
13th June 2014, 04:03 AM
Anyone else up yet?

PeteyD
13th June 2014, 06:37 AM
Brazil is now my favourite team, #7 - Hulk.

SMASH

3oneday
13th June 2014, 06:53 AM
Anyone else up yet?doesn't take two hours to move to the couch surely!!! :):)

Brazil will win, but gee they're playing a bit stressed, very tight and lots of ordinary stuff. Wonder if they'll cope with the expectation.

Peppas
13th June 2014, 07:39 AM
Its like dive city in Brazil!

JADO75
13th June 2014, 07:47 AM
Am I alone in not giving two shits about the World Cup? Muck me I hate soccer!

backintheswing
13th June 2014, 08:24 AM

Not alone jado. I think there is 2 of us.

PeteyD
13th June 2014, 08:28 AM
WC is the only time I watch soccer. And then only half watch it.

matty
13th June 2014, 08:30 AM
Just read that in the opening Brazil/Croatia soccer game a brazilian player was accused of diving in order to wrongly earn a penalty.

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 09:06 AM

Not alone jado. I think there is 2 of us.

Dont post here then, simple.

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 09:07 AM
Brazil look beatable.
Bullshit penalty turned the game.

3oneday
13th June 2014, 09:12 AM
Just read that in the opening Brazil/Croatia soccer game a brazilian player was accused of diving in order to wrongly earn a penalty.yep, weak pen. No doubt won't be the last.

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 09:15 AM
Yeah, but in the first freakin game, deosnt bide well.

They should have video ref and fix this bullshit.

3oneday
13th June 2014, 09:54 AM
Didn't realise there were two threads. Is the other just for the tipping comp then?

Gollfer69
13th June 2014, 09:56 AM
A post game panel looks at that dive and pings him a two match ban. Surely that's a long way towards stopping that shit.

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 09:57 AM
Didn't realise there were two threads. Is the other just for the tipping comp then?

Yes....

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 09:58 AM
A post game panel looks at that dive and pings him a two match ban. Surely that's a long way towards stopping that shit.
Good idea, or at least have him booked (yellow card) post match, will deter the ****er if he thinks about it next time..

3Puttpete
13th June 2014, 09:58 AM

They'll get rid of corners before they get rid of diving. It's too important to the fabric of the game

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 11:20 AM
Bet of the first round, Switzerland into Nigeria...

coalesce
13th June 2014, 11:23 AM

Nigeria the highest ranked African team and current African Nations Cup holders?

Having said that, I think I tipped Switzerland too :|

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 11:29 AM
Umm yeh dont think theres another one?

coalesce
13th June 2014, 11:34 AM
Umm yeh dont think theres another one?

Hang on, they aren't even in the same group? Nigeria are group F (with Argentina, Iran and Bosnia), and Switzerland are group E (with Ecuador, France and Honduras)

For Switzerland to play Nigeria, one of them would have to win their group, or they'd both have to get to the final!

Captain Nemo
13th June 2014, 11:41 AM
Multi, switzerland win into Nigeria win... $5.50
Comprendo?
;)

coalesce
13th June 2014, 11:51 AM
Multi, switzerland win into Nigeria win... $5.50
Comprendo?
;)

Ooops.

Nigeria should win. Switzerland v Ecuador is quite crucial for that group.

Ecuador might have qualified well from South America, but that was with Brazil missing (as they qualified as hosts). Also they play their home games at altitude which is a distinct advantage - which won't apply here.

Switzerland are a solid team without being world beaters. Their world ranking of 6 is massively skewed by their easy qualifying group. They don't score a lot of goals but don't concede many either.

Hard to predict (so I hope you got decent odds on this leg) - could well be a bore draw, but you could make a case for either side winning it too.

LarryLong
13th June 2014, 01:26 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this page for the next few weeks:

http://thegoldendive.com/

coalesce
13th June 2014, 01:33 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this page for the next few weeks:

http://thegoldendive.com/

That's great. Odds on Ronaldo?

Lagerlover
13th June 2014, 04:27 PM
How good was JLo, Pitbull and the other chick..

I'll stick with Meatloaf I think.

Shreko
13th June 2014, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Lagerlover;1122510]How good was JLo, Pitbull and the other chick..

I'll stick with Meatloaf I think.[/QUOTE

+1

Tank33
14th June 2014, 06:54 AM
Holland thrashed Spain 5-1. Never seen such an one sided match between two strong teams. Couldve easily been 7 or 8 to 1.

3oneday
14th June 2014, 07:05 AM
Amazing.

dannycallaz
14th June 2014, 07:43 AM
Come on Aussies!

Captain Nemo
14th June 2014, 08:15 AM
C'mon indeed now.... :(

Webster
14th June 2014, 08:15 AM
Hahahahahahaha..........we are terrible........

Feelzy
14th June 2014, 08:19 AM
Hahahahahahaha..........we are terrible........

+1 ....

3oneday
14th June 2014, 08:48 AM
We are improving :)

coalesce
14th June 2014, 08:51 AM
On the bright side, unlikely to be bottom of the group after today now :)

chappy1970
14th June 2014, 08:58 AM
I know nothing about the game, but Tim Cahill's goal appeared to be a cracker

dannycallaz
14th June 2014, 08:58 AM
A lot to play for still. Let's go!

BenM
14th June 2014, 09:04 AM
I know nothing about the game, but Tim Cahill's goal appeared to be a cracker

It was, beat 2 Chilean defenders, great effort just when we needed it.

Full credit to the Socceroos, they started so poorly and I thought after the second goal that the floodgates might open but they steadied well.

3Puttpete
14th June 2014, 10:13 AM
That's the hard game out of the way, we should be right now.

coalesce
14th June 2014, 10:33 AM
That's the hard game out of the way, we should be right now.

And no chance of Spain easing off in the last game now either

Still, if you listen to the pundits on SBS you'd think we won the whole tournament

(And that's the first time I've referred to Aus as we! Only taken 6 months)

highballin
14th June 2014, 01:38 PM
And no chance of Spain easing off in the last game now either

Still, if you listen to the pundits on SBS you'd think we won the whole tournament

(And that's the first time I've referred to Aus as we! Only taken 6 months)

After 20min was regretting changing golf day to Sunday at half time I was right into it.

Congrats to the team young guys showed a lot of ticker. Cahill's goal was a cracker and the second one was even better. Bloody offside rule was close but correct.

I am glad they kept pushing even though it cost them a goal late.

Captain Nemo
15th June 2014, 02:28 PM
#forzaitalia
;)

Tank33
16th June 2014, 08:46 AM
Very unfortunate to have lost the game.. The game couldve easily gone the other way. I think the socceroos are doing well in the group of death.

Buzz
16th June 2014, 10:05 AM
Mate just tipped all three exact scores in the overnight games ... $1 at $540.

Captain Nemo
16th June 2014, 01:26 PM

First leg up.....

Gollfer69
17th June 2014, 07:49 AM
Player of Tourney..MessiGolden Boot...MullerWinner GermanyAussies 0 wins, 0 goals.Dream start with the messi and muller bets. Muller $29

Captain Nemo
17th June 2014, 08:05 AM
Muller looks in fine form, Germany look the one to beat after the first round of games...

3oneday
17th June 2014, 08:28 AM
Yeah, no idea why I picked Portugal :)

Captain Nemo
17th June 2014, 08:31 AM
First leg up.....

Bloody Iran, they are a fighting nation thats for sure.....:(

Captain Nemo
17th June 2014, 09:50 AM
Very entertaining 2nd half USA v Ghana....!

Ferrins
18th June 2014, 02:46 AM
Go Algeria! Or is it France B team?

Captain Nemo
18th June 2014, 09:16 AM
Italys nice win on Sunday started the kitty rolling well.;)
Iran stuffed up my second bet, but Belgium winning this morning gets me back in front after having France, Argentina, Belgium straight Multi.
Launching into England/Italy straight multi @ $3.29 next go.
Go the Socceroos....:smt030

Courty
18th June 2014, 12:51 PM
My mail is that Scott Hend was masquerading as the Mexican goalkeeper against Brazil, because that guy was ON FIRE!!!

Captain Nemo
18th June 2014, 12:54 PM
Wasnt he what!

LarryLong
18th June 2014, 01:27 PM
Well, he certainly wasn't masquerading as the Russian goalkeeper.

Captain Nemo
18th June 2014, 01:40 PM
Or the Spanish...

Captain Nemo
19th June 2014, 02:22 AM
Surely that kids not the best goalkeeper the Socceroos have?#CahillbestSoccerooever!!!!!!

BenM
19th June 2014, 02:37 AM
Was a magnificent volley eh! Socceroos are giving the Dutch a lot to think about so far!

Feelzy
19th June 2014, 02:53 AM
Great first half. They seem to be playing with the belief that they are capable of competing. Didn't really see that against Chile.

Courty
19th June 2014, 02:57 AM
We are so screwed without Cahill against Spain. 😞

3oneday
19th June 2014, 02:58 AM
We should be in front, easier to watch than that other game :)

Captain Nemo
19th June 2014, 03:12 AM
Wow!
#wishiwasthere

BenM
19th June 2014, 03:16 AM
Pretty decent match this!

Captain Nemo
19th June 2014, 03:25 AM
As previously said he can't be our best keeper, surely????

Feelzy
19th June 2014, 03:33 AM

I'm with you on that one. That last goal is tough to stop when it breaks real late but it wasn't struck perfectly. Should have been saved.

Feelzy
19th June 2014, 03:38 AM
We should be in front, easier to watch than that other game :)

+1

Pretty decent match this!

Greatest match I have ever seen. No ridiculous dives. Although one Dutchman was on a stretcher and Leckie is looking like a bit of an idiot these last 5 minutes.

Overall just a very exciting match. What it should be.

LeftyHoges
19th June 2014, 04:02 AM

He pretty much is. Voted keeper of the year in the Belgian league.

Ferrins
19th June 2014, 05:47 AM
Spain are in deep do do.

nudgee
19th June 2014, 05:51 AM
spain are in deep do do.

faaaaaaarkkkkkkk

Ferrins
19th June 2014, 06:35 AM
Chile is also winning the drama queen award.

3oneday
19th June 2014, 07:18 AM
What an upset that is!

Captain Nemo
19th June 2014, 07:31 AM
faaaaaaarkkkkkkk
Too much Chorizo?

Captain Nemo
20th June 2014, 04:54 AM
England going in with same lineup Uraguay with 5 changes... Pons good value @$2.15 in a must win game.

coalesce
20th June 2014, 06:00 AM
England going in with same lineup Uraguay with 5 changes... Pons good value @$2.15 in a must win game.

Probably better odds now at half time. But I would suggest less value...

So glad I woke up early for this

3oneday
20th June 2014, 08:12 AM
What a diff suarez makes hey!

Captain Nemo
20th June 2014, 08:21 AM
Wow!
I think England's poor showing at every major event, senior and junior is a reflection of the Premier League.
The amount of imports they have is stifling the talented juniors coming through.
Love seeing England lose, and not qualifying will put a smile on my dial for the rest of the year!
And yes 3, Suarez is a genius (from a biased Liverpool supporter) ;)

Gollfer69
20th June 2014, 08:26 AM
At this stage I have Sturridge very close to the top of the leaderboard in bullshit diving.

KristianJ
20th June 2014, 08:27 AM
What a diff suarez makes hey!

Uruguay have added bite upfront.

Buzz
20th June 2014, 08:34 AM
Would have got a decent price on both England and Spain not progressing!!

matty
20th June 2014, 08:52 AM
Don't like soccer. The diving ruins it for me. But its bloody great how good the socceroos went against the powerhouse of Netherlands. Go aussie.

matty
20th June 2014, 08:54 AM
I think England's poor showing at every major event, senior and junior is a reflection of the Premier League.
The amount of imports they have is stifling the talented juniors coming through. )

Good point. Just keeps happening, doesn't it?

coalesce
20th June 2014, 09:18 AM
This just proves heroic failure is better than average failure

matty
20th June 2014, 09:52 AM
Very true. Watching some of the post match reports it looked to me like the Aussies don't care about reputations and were really taking it to them. Great attitude.

Bruce Dickinson
20th June 2014, 10:19 AM
any team with Danny Wellbeck in it deserves to lose

LeftyHoges
20th June 2014, 11:40 AM
I don't think the imports are stifling anyone in the PL. If the talent was there it would be played.

The pure and simple fact of the matter is that England just aren't as good as people (and England) think they are. Anyone who went into this tournament thinking that they would do any better than first out after the group stages was just purely naive.

coalesce
20th June 2014, 11:53 AM
I thought we'd get out of the group, then have a good chance against probably Colombia, and then go out to Brazil in the 1/4 finals, same old same old. Still a tiny chance of that happening.

Every major tournament is the same - compare England to Australia in this tournament. Both played 2 lost 2 against 1 contender (NED/ITA) and 1 decent side (CHI/URG). Yet Australia are the plucky triers, and England are just not good enough. Why is that?

The argument about PL players and foreigners is rubbish - does seem to stop other countries having decent enough teams

LeftyHoges
20th June 2014, 11:57 AM
I thought we'd get out of the group, then have a good chance against probably Colombia, and then go out to Brazil in the 1/4 finals, same old same old. Still a tiny chance of that happening.

Every major tournament is the same - compare England to Australia in this tournament. Both played 2 lost 2 against 1 contender (NED/ITA) and 1 decent side (CHI/URG). Yet Australia are the plucky triers, and England are just not good enough. Why is that?

The argument about PL players and foreigners is rubbish - does seem to stop other countries having decent enough teams

Because we're not expected to do anything, you guys are. Whether that be from your own people or your media (my bet), your teams expectation is massive overs, ours is virtually non-existent.

And also because football is your national sport and it's about 7th on our list, as well. ;)

3oneday
20th June 2014, 12:13 PM
Because apparently none of our players are good enough for EPL, pretty simple comparison really :)

coalesce
20th June 2014, 12:22 PM
Up until the start of the tournament, the expectations among fans and our media was the lowest it has ever been. The lowest I can remember anyway.

I've typed and then deleted various theories in this reply. Bottom line is we just haven't been good enough. The team has issues defensively. But I would still rather watch England 2014 than England 2010, so it is some sort of progress I guess.

meh
20th June 2014, 12:24 PM
Having a dud manager and starting Henderson in midfield is pretty indicative of not being very good.

coalesce
20th June 2014, 12:31 PM
Henderson/Gerrard/Stirling/Sturridge did pretty well as a combination for Liverpool this year.

Arguably it was when Henderson was suspended at the end of the season that Liverpool blew their title chances.

There's a lot of flak thrown at individual England players, usually from fans of PL teams that don't like those players or think their players should be playing instead. If its not Rooney, its Wellbeck or Henderson, or even Gerrard. Even in the space of a few days its gone from Stirling must play to Stirling is rubbish...

meh
20th June 2014, 01:20 PM
Henderson/Gerrard/Stirling/Sturridge did pretty well as a combination for Liverpool this year.

Arguably it was when Henderson was suspended at the end of the season that Liverpool blew their title chances.

There's a lot of flak thrown at individual England players, usually from fans of PL teams that don't like those players or think their players should be playing instead. If its not Rooney, its Wellbeck or Henderson, or even Gerrard. Even in the space of a few days its gone from Stirling must play to Stirling is rubbish...

They also had a guy by the name of Suarez finishing it off. The title went when stevie g slipped against the bus parkers. Henderson is a trier but you wouldnt say much more.

coalesce
20th June 2014, 04:45 PM
What a difference one game makes

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-19/socceroos-performance-against-netherlands-in-one-word/5535276

Buzz
21st June 2014, 09:19 AM
Wow Costa Rica, total surprise packet of the tournament!

TheNuclearOne
21st June 2014, 09:45 AM
I don't think the imports are stifling anyone in the PL. If the talent was there it would be played.

The pure and simple fact of the matter is that England just aren't as good as people (and England) think they are. Anyone who went into this tournament thinking that they would do any better than first out after the group stages was just purely naive.

Imports would have to stifle talent to a degree. Plenty of guys rise as they come thru the ranks, sometimes surprisingly so. They would have to be missing out on the odd player who missed the opportunity.

Playing against the best can really improve ones game. Have to agree with you that the Poms aren't that good. They've been failing on the big stage for so long now.

3Puttpete
21st June 2014, 09:54 AM
Is it possible that the style of play in the EPL has something to do with it?

Where do the good teams' players play (eg semi finalists from the last few world cups)?

Chicken and egg maybe. Just an idea from a casual observer.

simmsy
21st June 2014, 10:02 AM

Because the poms are full of them selves and shite and Australia just go over there to try their best and what result happens, happens.

There was good money on Australia not scoring in this tournament so they exceeded most peoples expectations by being in both matches deep into the match.

And because the poms are shite.

Buzz
21st June 2014, 10:03 AM
Perhaps they simply do not play together enough as a team? Although I guess that goes for all international sides given the dominance of club football. England seems to be able to produce as many brilliant individuals as any nation but collectively it never seems to work.

Tank33
22nd June 2014, 08:56 AM
All these mistakes made by line referees regarding offside ruling really ****s up the game.

It's about time FIFA introduces video refereeing in the world cup.

It takes those countries 4 long years to qualify and prepare for those games and they don't deserved to be heart broken by some silly **** raising the flag.

Courty
22nd June 2014, 08:58 AM
It takes those countries 4 long years to qualify and prepare for those games and they don't deserved to be heart broken by some silly **** raising the flag.

And a Kiwi one at that.

Gollfer69
22nd June 2014, 09:15 AM
Rub if the green. I would hate to see it change to the tedious stop start nature that we see in Nrl now.

mike
22nd June 2014, 09:38 AM
I would. With players in motion it's just so hard to judge offside sometimes. Tim Cahill for example last week. I was convinced he was on side but the replay clearly showed he wasn't. In a sport where often a single goal is scored I think video replays are a necessity.

mike
22nd June 2014, 09:40 AM
... and I would just love to see a POST MATCH review on players diving. Take a dive and take 3 matches off.

Captain Nemo
22nd June 2014, 09:41 AM
Totally agree, same thing happened in the current live game to Bosnia....marginal call looked onside to me!

mike
22nd June 2014, 10:03 AM
It's the purists that are against any change. I love soccer but it can be sooo much better.

Gollfer69
22nd June 2014, 10:22 AM
... and I would just love to see a POST MATCH review on players diving. Take a dive and take 3 matches off.
makes an awful lot of sense and can't for the life of me work out why it hasn't been done.

Also just saw the Messi winner in injury time...WOW !

Tank33
22nd June 2014, 11:02 AM
There is no doubt Iran played a superb match against one of the best teams in the world.

Captain Nemo
23rd June 2014, 09:42 AM
Love to see USA hold on to beat Portugal!
Love the minnows beating the precious upstarts!!!!
USA, USA, USA, USA, USA:smt031

Captain Nemo
23rd June 2014, 09:57 AM
Wow, last minutes goal to tie it up, unbelievable!!!

Captain Nemo
23rd June 2014, 10:03 AM
Ronaldo walks without shaking hands, spitting the dummy.
Spoilt overpaid brat.
Hope they miss out and he goes home with the suk's
Germany and USA will collude and play for the draw, guaranteed.....(get on) ;)

KristianJ
23rd June 2014, 10:11 AM
Ronaldo walks without shaking hands, spitting the dummy. Maybe he thinks the rest of the world are nose pickers as well...

Captain Nemo
23rd June 2014, 10:14 AM
He's just a dick, pure and simple.

3oneday
23rd June 2014, 12:34 PM
Totally agree, same thing happened in the current live game to Bosnia....marginal call looked onside to me!that bosnia one was so far onside you'd have to question the integrity of the liney.

3oneday
23rd June 2014, 12:35 PM
Maybe he thinks the rest of the world are nose pickers as well...how about that french coach, his finger went up his nose every time the camera was on him!

Shreko
23rd June 2014, 07:44 PM
how about that french coach, his finger went up his nose every time the camera was on him!

Nasal escargot? ???

Shreko
23rd June 2014, 07:46 PM

Only now the bureaucracy is saying it's a blight on the game

Captain Nemo
24th June 2014, 03:30 AM
Can't believe ange persisted with Ryan in goals?
After the first 2 games surely a change was warranted....

Captain Nemo
24th June 2014, 03:41 AM
That will do me, we may have well kept Schwarzer in there after that performance!!!

WBennett
24th June 2014, 08:05 AM
Blaming Matt Ryan is harsh. Defensively we were naive, midfield failed to hold possession, and our forwards were popgun at best.

However, the team that played today could be the basis of the team that plays in 4 years time if the Socceroos qualify.

Add Tom Rogic and Robbie Kruse to the team and it looks immediately better in the midfield and in attack.

These guys will all be way better for the experience, and hopefully a few get picked up by top flight European clubs to develop their skills further.

3oneday
24th June 2014, 08:12 AM
What did that have to do with Ryan? Not many keepers are confronted with as many one on ones as Aussie keepers are. He did nothing more or less than any other 1st class keeper would.

The backs need to be smarter. Hopefully they will be once Ange has had them longer. The three goals were soft, every time they strolled through unhindered.

Captain Nemo
24th June 2014, 08:35 AM
Totally agree that the back line was soft and looked disorganized, but he looked timid as to come out off his line to cutoff angles in all those close goals, and that long range shot in the Netherlands game....please.

3oneday
24th June 2014, 08:43 AM
I didn't think any of last nights he could have stopped. Netherlands was poor though. But, there is no one better supposedly. It's up to the other keepers to become better before the Asian Cup I guess.

Aussies fielded a young team, they seemed to be running around like chooks with their heads cut off most of the game. BUT, Spain are still streets, suburbs, countries ahead of us!!! Oh, and the ground was shit which didn't help either team.

Shadesy
24th June 2014, 10:35 AM
Ryan was at his most assured this game, clean handling and confident decision making.

I think he is the keeper to go with for now.

LeftyHoges
24th June 2014, 11:11 AM
The only competition to Ryan is Langerak and he would've done no better for mine.

We let in 9 goals for the comp and only 1 could've been stopped that wasn't, (the obvious Holland one). I think you're blaming a keeper way too much here Titleist, he had little no support from his back 4 for all the goals last night.

The first he does the best he can to force Villa into the backfoot sweep, the best chance of him missing from there. He goes to cover where that ball went and Villa right foots it into the bottom-right corner instead.

Torres' goal he was out quickly and if you see the replay Torres actually chips it over his foot. Had he played the ball along the ground it would have hit his foot and probably missed. Nothing a keeper can do about that and probably the smartest thing Torres has done in about 5 years. You'll notice the ball hits the net only a foot inside the post, that's a pretty good job of closing the angle for me.

The third goal he was out quickly to cut off the angle again and got done through his legs, the exact spot Mata should be aiming for in that position as it's the only way to beat a keeper who comes out like that.

For all three goals Ryan was basically one-on-one with the striker and did pretty well to position himself. Stopping any of those three would have been more down to luck or mistimed shot from the striker than anything more Ryan could have done.

The only goal he was at fault for was the last against Holland.

Captain Nemo
24th June 2014, 12:00 PM
Just venting i suppose....its all over thank god!
Anyway, England to make 9 (yes 9) changes....
http://www.threelionsroar.com/2014/6/23/5835510/england-make-9-changes-for-costa-rica-rooney-out

coalesce
24th June 2014, 12:03 PM
Costa Rica look like great odds at $4.33 (from footytips - no idea where they get it from).

Mind you it would be just like England to get their only win against the team top of the group by playing their second string side...

Captain Nemo
24th June 2014, 12:06 PM
Too true, thats way overs sportingbet has C.R $4 to England $1.87
Great odds on a team that will be going for the win.

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
25th June 2014, 03:21 PM
Has anyone had chance to see suarez's biting incident? Now after the third time this has happened what do you think his punishment should be.

PeteyD
25th June 2014, 03:32 PM
Some guy in Norway won a bet that Suarez would bite someone in the tournament at 175-1

coalesce
25th June 2014, 03:39 PM
http://a.pomf.se/phdzcy.gif

3oneday
25th June 2014, 04:01 PM
Has anyone had chance to see suarez's biting incident? Now after the third time this has happened what do you think his punishment should be.That he needs salt?

jimandr
25th June 2014, 04:10 PM
Has anyone had chance to see suarez's biting incident? Now after the third time this has happened what do you think his punishment should be.

SBS showed a compilation of the biting incidents at the end of the replay, along with a few memes that shouldn't be hard to find.

The fact that it is possible to have a compilation is almost beyond belief. He doesn't even seem to try to hide it.

In League he would get life, but this is football and he is one of the most valuable players in the world. Making him wear a Hannibal Lector muzzle (see meme) might actually be more humiliating than any suspension or fine.

matty
25th June 2014, 04:22 PM
Very comical how he was holding his teeth, like he'd been shoulder charged.
The replay couldn't have been clearer. He leans in and chomps away. What a goose.

Lagerlover
25th June 2014, 04:28 PM
What is that that the ref sprays on the ground?...not Gillette foam obviously.

Slothman
25th June 2014, 04:31 PM
Have you seen his teeth??

Man he might have been trying to headbutt him and that cheating Italian lifted his Elbow and got him square in the top overbite.....

In all seriousness...third offense...he should find another job or retire on his mutli millions and maybe get some orthodontic work done.

I subscribe to a funny twitter feed and that one has been going off...

- Suarez is a great player but he's got to lay off the Italian food.
- Score update: Italy 0, Uruguay 0, Imaginary Injuries 73

Those two made me laugh.

meh
25th June 2014, 05:03 PM
SBS showed a compilation of the biting incidents at the end of the replay, along with a few memes that shouldn't be hard to find.

The fact that it is possible to have a compilation is almost beyond belief. He doesn't even seem to try to hide it.

In League he would get life, but this is football and he is one of the most valuable players in the world. Making him wear a Hannibal Lector muzzle (see meme) might actually be more humiliating than any suspension or fine.

In league he would get life?!? i just saw an origin game where a guy spear tackled someone and it was only a penalty ffs.

3oneday
25th June 2014, 06:03 PM
Keeps it on the front page of something, has he been suspended?

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
25th June 2014, 06:46 PM
Acording to bbc.co.uk/sport they have until Wednesday ( Brazil time ) night to provide evidence that he didn't bite. The fact that it's on TV to billions and the Italian has teeth marks in his shoulder should suggest that he is rooted

dannycallaz
25th June 2014, 06:55 PM
GRUB!

3oneday
25th June 2014, 08:22 PM
Hard to measure isn't it, clearly a great player with serious mental issues. Doubt they can rub him out for as long as they are saying though.

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
25th June 2014, 08:42 PM

BenM
25th June 2014, 09:30 PM
I hope Suarez gets 2 years for it. He won't, but goodness knows he's had enough chances.

It looked to me like Chiellini tried to elbow him in the chops. Shame he missed the prick.

KristianJ
25th June 2014, 09:34 PM
Sucks (Dracula pun not intended) to be Liverpool...

Shadesy
26th June 2014, 09:04 AM
Only two years from international football.

Won't affect Liverpool.

Johnny Canuck
26th June 2014, 09:53 AM
Chiellini was the biggest diver in the game. He should have bit him harder.

Bruce Dickinson
26th June 2014, 09:58 AM
Suarez tried to line up Chiellini last year, he knows exactly what he's doing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2668987/Luis-Suarez-tried-bite-Giorgio-Chiellini-Confederations-Cup-year-long-wait-finally-got-man.html

Peter
27th June 2014, 01:08 AM
Anyone been checking out the Alex Williamson clips? Crude, but funny.

Johnny Canuck
27th June 2014, 01:28 AM
Anyone been checking out the Alex Williamson clips? Crude, but funny.

Will track down "Shooters" stuff.

Triumph made a visit. http://teamcoco.com/video/triumph-world-cup-part-1

Peter
27th June 2014, 05:26 AM
Well worth a look - would link them here but I'm an IT nuff and would no doubt mess it up.

Very safe for work, and likely to be well received.

Captain Nemo
7th July 2014, 03:58 PM
Top 10 goals so far, i like how the USA have 2 of them...
Enjoy:
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/worldcupvideo/item?vh-video=1284176&%3Bvh-asset=1

jimandr
9th July 2014, 05:27 PM
A question for the knowledgeable soccer (or football) fans who read this thread.

While I watch the game with interest, I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of tactics and the like.

I'm watching the Brazil-Germany replay as I type, but I already knew the score, having heard the news headlines of total despair and humiliation in Brazil. I was expecting to see total domination and/or a spineless capitulation, but it doesn't look that way to me. It just looks like Germany scored every time they went forward over a 10 minute period, and then the game appears fairly even.

What have I not seen?

coalesce
9th July 2014, 05:48 PM
The organisation and workrate of the Brazilian defense was shambolic.

The first goal is good movement by the attackers to move the defenders around, but the defenders are just out of position leaving a man completely unmarked able to score under no pressure.

It was a pattern for a lot of the goals. The Germans were allowed to play the ball around too easily, i.e. they weren't being closed down by defenders quickly enough.

Luiz and Marcelo both basically had shockers positionally.

This article is the British BBC pundits analysing each goal: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28221160

Kenny Powers
10th July 2014, 03:45 PM

lol

Captain Nemo
10th July 2014, 03:58 PM
Who the **** was that!

:smt107

LeftyHoges
10th July 2014, 05:11 PM

lol

That's gotta be fake.

chappy1970
10th July 2014, 08:45 PM
The punter must have had a lash at heaps of combinations and just got lucky with one of the more exotic ones.

Well played air

Kenny Powers
10th July 2014, 08:56 PM
lol id like to say it was me but no i found it on another forum, pretty crazy if its real.
thats US$ btw

Ferrins
13th July 2014, 08:46 PM
So who is going to win?

3oneday
13th July 2014, 09:12 PM
Germany

or Argentina :)

Captain Nemo
13th July 2014, 09:16 PM
Germany.....I'm riding them hard!
Vundabra!

KristianJ
13th July 2014, 09:20 PM
Germany.....I'm riding them hard! It's incredibly fitting that they're known as Die Mannschaft, isn't it? :lol:

Captain Nemo
13th July 2014, 09:23 PM
Love a dirty German!

BenM
13th July 2014, 09:24 PM
It's incredibly fitting that they're known as Die Mannschaft, isn't it? :lol:

I bet Thorpiedo is backing ze germans also.

Lucasto23
13th July 2014, 09:36 PM
Come on Argentina

Lagerlover
13th July 2014, 10:04 PM
Just took Mexico at 16's....money for rendered down rotten fruit!!

Captain Nemo
14th July 2014, 06:05 AM
Tight, Germany to finish the stronger...

Lemo
14th July 2014, 06:59 AM
Argentina have missed a couple of great chances.

Ferrins
14th July 2014, 07:07 AM
The lob was the big chance missed.

Golfwhang
14th July 2014, 07:27 AM
Goallllllllll

KristianJ
14th July 2014, 07:29 AM
Marvellous finish too!

Ferrins
14th July 2014, 07:43 AM
Gotze can use a staff bag now.

Lucasto23
14th July 2014, 08:33 AM
Solid game by Germany and deserving winners

LeftyHoges
14th July 2014, 12:04 PM
Solid game by Germany and deserving winners

Yep, can't begrudge them that win. Clearly the best team of the tournament in my opinion and very deserving winners.