PDA

View Full Version : strong Vs weak grip....

Jarro
14th February 2006, 07:08 AM
Watching the coverage of all the golf during the week, i noticed that almost ALL the tour guys have an extremely strong grip ..... Adam Scott in particular.

Can anyone explain why this is ?? Does it help them get greater clubhead speed or something ??? I tried it a while ago and found it only helped me to send the ball further left into the rough, whereas a weaker lefthand (for a righthander) seemed a lot more comfortable and also helped my hands to work more as a single unit. I'm at the stage now where my hands are both in a pretty neutral position on the club.

What do you do ??

Strong or Weak

3oneday
14th February 2006, 07:30 AM
What do you do ??

Strong or Weakjust grab it and hit it actually !!!!

Dunno what mine is, can you tell me tomorrow ??? ;)

Pete

Jarro
14th February 2006, 07:36 AM
just grab it and hit it actually !!!!

Dunno what mine is, can you tell me tomorrow ??? ;)

Pete

you mean you've never actually thought to look at your hands position on the club ? not even once :roll:

:p

AndyP
14th February 2006, 07:37 AM
Strong or Weak Please define, and I'll give you a definite answer.

I think I'm neutral. And if so, where's the poll option for it?

3oneday
14th February 2006, 07:41 AM
Please define, and I'll give you a definite answer.yep, tell us the knuckle thing and we can answer (maybe) ;)

Jarro
14th February 2006, 07:52 AM
Please define, and I'll give you a definite answer.

I think I'm neutral. And if so, where's the poll option for it?

if you don't have a strong grip (left hand turned more to the right), then you'll tend to be a weaker gripper then won't you .... so vote for the weak grip option :roll:

pretty simple really

Grunt
14th February 2006, 08:17 AM
I am trialling strengthening my grip, I was told it could be the solution to all my problems. I was also told it is a really fine adjustment, too far and it could work the opposite way and make my swing worse.

Matt 3 Jab
14th February 2006, 08:40 AM
i see 3 knuckles, so im a strong gripper, i like it because i can go at the ball without too much fear of senhding it to right field.
just the way i was tought i guess.
STRONG FOREVER!

AndyP
14th February 2006, 09:17 AM
if you don't have a strong grip (left hand turned more to the right), then you'll tend to be a weaker gripper then won't you .... so vote for the weak grip option :roll:

pretty simple really
More to the right relative to what?

Jarro
14th February 2006, 09:20 AM
More to the right relative to what?

.... the left

BrisVegas
14th February 2006, 09:23 AM
AndyP - does the "V" formed between your left thumb and index finger point...

at your right shoulder (strong)?
at your right ear (neutral)?
at your chin or left ear (weak)?

peter_rs
14th February 2006, 09:59 AM
neutral for irons. Stronger for driver :)

Moe Norman
14th February 2006, 10:19 AM
I've always been told my baseball grip is strong.

But Ubers told me on the weekend it was neautral.

Ona
14th February 2006, 10:27 AM
the V thing is a crock. You can keep you hand still and independantly move your thumb and all of a sudden you go from a weak to a strong, or vise versa. That is only usefull if everyone positions their thumb exactly the same in relation to their hands. Do they?

I'm stronger than some, weaker than others.

Toolish
14th February 2006, 10:49 AM
More on the strong side recently...so don't miss much right anymore, they just go left instead!!

Is hard to draw a line at where neutral becomes strong etc. As ona said, the V's are crap. Number of knuckles almost works?

BrisVegas
14th February 2006, 10:58 AM
the V thing is a crock. You can keep you hand still and independantly move your thumb and all of a sudden you go from a weak to a strong, or vise versa. That is only usefull if everyone positions their thumb exactly the same in relation to their hands. Do they?

yes mate, agreed, but AndyP was playing dumb so i was offering some "generally accepted" ideas to help him out.

Perhaps you could help out AndyP with your own concise explanation then....

AndyP
14th February 2006, 11:24 AM
Playing dumb?

Whatever the guides on the swing-rite grips put my fingers at, is what my grip is. Surely that's neutral. But once again, no poll option.

McMw
14th February 2006, 11:58 AM
strong for all swings except chipping/bunker/lobbing...

Jarro
14th February 2006, 07:17 PM
AndyP, if it ain't strong, then it's classed as weak .. as i said in the opening thread.

Eag's
14th February 2006, 07:20 PM
I would have to say strong for myself.

AndyP
14th February 2006, 09:00 PM
AndyP, if it ain't strong, then it's classed as weak .. as i said in the opening thread.
Sorry, I was confused by your vote below, and BV's break down into 3 categories.

I'm at the stage now where my hands are both in a pretty neutral position on the club.
'V' points at right ear, neutral -> weak. Such a derogatory term though.

Noone seems to have provided any answers on what the advantages of the respective grips are though.

Ona
14th February 2006, 09:44 PM
Was no go at you Vegas :smt009

If I could be sure that P was just playing dumb I'd have a go, but...

AndyP
14th February 2006, 09:46 PM
I like ice-cream.

BrisVegas
15th February 2006, 08:11 AM
Was no go at you Vegas :smt009

I wasn't sure he was taking the **** either, but I took a punt that he was. :razz: I was wrong! AndyP didn't know. sorry AndyP, I shouldn't assume. :oops:

AndyP
15th February 2006, 09:41 AM
I wasn't sure he was taking the **** either, but I took a punt that he was. :razz: I was wrong! AndyP didn't know. sorry AndyP, I shouldn't assume. :oops:
Just assume that I know nothing about swing mechanics, golf equipment, etc, and you won't be too far off the mark.
I play golf, not golf swing......

Grunt
18th February 2006, 04:16 PM
Hey guys you know those grip training grips? Do they really work to get a new grip trained as memory. I am thinking of getting one put on an old 5 iron to practice with, so as to get my grip as one part of my game that is all automatic once more.
With all the changing I have been doing in the past week to try and have a stronger grip so as to stop the slice. I have lost all confidence in my ability to grip the club the same everytime. I was hitting the ball allover the place today, hooks, pulls, Slices and pushes :(

markTHEblake
18th February 2006, 06:24 PM
I see 3 at address, but i am sure once my hand firms up on the club during the swing it would be 4.

imho 2 knuckles is not a strong grip. IMHO there is a bit of an illusion when you look at golfers, i think they tend to look stronger than they are.

oz
9th April 2006, 07:01 PM
Stronger.... for now. I tend to shut down the clubface a little with the irons, so I am working on squaring that up a bit.

Courty
9th April 2006, 09:00 PM
I used to grip it on the weaker side, but found my hands weren't working as one and I tended to get wristy and hit all sorts of crap. I strengthened my grip and got it much more under control. I think in recent times I was gripping too strongly and was suffering because of it. When I start playing again I will review the grip situation once again (using Ben Hogan as a guide).