PDA

View Full Version : Weight training for golf

Eag's
13th February 2006, 10:21 PM
Over the last 3 weeks I have been trying to get myself back into shape by doing weights and lots of cardio work. I have read up on what type of weight training would suit golf in general.

Most of the work I am doing is aimed at strengthening my core muscle groups as in - abbs, obliques, lower back etc... all of which we use in our golf swings :smt002 but if yours are like mine, then they are as weak as **** :oops:

I am also trying a few stretching exersises to see if I can free up some of the muscles in my shoulders and legs.

So far in only 3 weeks I have lost 4 kilos and I am already feeling stronger and more flexible :-D. My aim is to get down to 85kg's (5 more to go) and to improve my flexability & strength, time will tell I suppose :)

Are any of you guys doing any golf specific training or have you done so previously?

AndyP
13th February 2006, 10:22 PM
Nope, but I do have plans to get a weights bench and some free weights soon. Hadn't really thought about doing specific golf training though.

Moe Norman
13th February 2006, 11:07 PM
i'm trying to drop the weight back below the $ but nothing to do with golf.

andylo
13th February 2006, 11:16 PM
Doing my golf trainning in Fitness First Mt Gravatt. Already for couple of months. Twice a week, same as Eag mainly doing core strength and leg flexibility. Weighted still the same (around 78/79KG) but feel much stronger on top of the ball and able to relax thru out the swing

BrisWesty
13th February 2006, 11:51 PM
No specific golf training yet, but climbed to 70kg for the first time. Happier around 65-67kg. Time to start jogging and to stop scoffing the scorched peanuts.
Got a pilates DVD for Christmas. Better pull that out too.

BrisVegas
14th February 2006, 02:44 AM
Over the last 3 weeks I have been trying to get myself back into shape by doing weights and lots of cardio work. I have read up on what type of weight training would suit golf in general.

My aim is to get down to 85kg's (5 more to go) and to improve my flexability & strength, time will tell I suppose :)

struth Richard! You're built like a brick sh!thouse now, God help us all if you get any stronger.... :shock:

Good luck with it. I admire your dedication.

Jarro
14th February 2006, 06:54 AM
i used to do a fair bit of weight training when i was younger :roll: , mostly upper body strengthening though.

I'd be keen to hear about what your program includes Eag's .... what exercises you do and the weight that you're lifting ??

keep up the good work too mate ;)

amanda
14th February 2006, 08:10 AM
I'm using the book blakey suggested (stretching & muscle building) a while back plus brad is supervising some weight work with dumbells. Not sure of the effect, but since I started 3 weeks ago, I've hit shots than ever before (however, I can't hit a chip to save my life - too much power maybe!)

Grunt
14th February 2006, 08:11 AM
The play for me is to as soon as the docs let me, I will get back on my bike and start to get fit once more, I am pretty fit anyway just might get really fit. I have never been into weights even when I was sailing I was right into aerobic fitness. I have always found that if you are aerobically fit enough you body lets you do anything.

Well you guys just made me check to see how much weight I have lost since before the op. I last weighed myself at the start of the year coming in at 82kg, well I just weighed myself this morning I have dropped to 77kg:shock: , Rachelle just said "all that beer" in reference to the fact that I can't drink any more because of the drugs I am on.

Moe Norman
14th February 2006, 10:12 AM
At the peak of my football career I was 104kg with 11% bodyfat.

I'm now 102kg with 26% bodyfat.

So technically I've lost weight ;)

connico
14th February 2006, 10:24 AM
when i was at the peak of my tennis i was 68kg with 10% body fat...now im 72k with 15% body fat...and looking around at other golfers i still think im ahead lol :)

Been doing the cores with tai chi, and some other forms of martial arts...also doing the old school training, running, riding and push up and situps... might get a free weight set or a bench but looks unlikely

Eag's
14th February 2006, 06:49 PM
i used to do a fair bit of weight training when i was younger :roll: , mostly upper body strengthening though.

I'd be keen to hear about what your program includes Eag's .... what exercises you do and the weight that you're lifting ??

keep up the good work too mate ;)

Mark I do the following -

4 x 15 reps of dumbell curls 15kg (each dumbell)
4 x 15 reps of dumbell bench press 30kg
4 x 15 reps of dumbell tricep raises 18kg
4 x 15 reps of Russian twists holding 5kg weight on a exercise ball
4 x 15 reps of reciprocal twists holding 5kg on a exercise ball
6 x 20 reps of crunches (these kill :shock:)

I am buggerd after all this, but it is worth it :smt002

Jarro
14th February 2006, 07:39 PM
good workout Richard 8)

if you stick with this, you'll really see some improvement in strength before long at all

amanda
15th February 2006, 09:54 AM
4 x 15 reps of dumbell curls 15kg (each dumbell)

Holy crap! I can only manage dumbells with 3kg - can't imagine lifting 15kg!

macleod
15th February 2006, 02:49 PM
wood cable chop roxor.

get stuck into yoga, excellent stabliser for core muscles and legs.

senecio
18th February 2006, 12:24 AM
wood cable chop roxor.

get stuck into yoga, excellent stabliser for core muscles and legs.

I second that.

Yoga or Pilates. Great for core strength, stability and flexibilty.

Also pleasing to the eye if you find the right location.

Ryan

macleod
18th February 2006, 10:50 PM
my weight loss has been great since the back injury.

before the shoulder injury i had dropped 16 kilos in total. (from 110-ish down to a nice 94)

unf that's gone back up a bit due to not being able to do the same gym work, the new job plus doing uni over summer. and i hope to get down to 90 and the 5AM rides are back on now i have less uni to stress about ;)

just went back to the gym for the first time in well over a month and although i have to change a lot of exercises due to the shoulder, it's on again! :D

macleod
18th February 2006, 10:55 PM
I second that.

Yoga or Pilates. Great for core strength, stability and flexibilty.

Also pleasing to the eye if you find the right location.

Ryan

i'll be back to where our cat Paris (blitzkreig sally) gets in no time ;) i run a 'cat yoga' group on flickr :lol:

http://static.flickr.com/30/95250010_bc5177d597.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/groups/catyoga/)

markTHEblake
23rd February 2006, 04:29 PM
I was looking at doing a few things to get some extra kilo's and bulk up a bit but then i looked at the Ozgolf group photo, and thought- naaaah.