PDA

View Full Version : Driver and Hybrid advice

Bucko
1st May 2014, 09:18 AM
Been playing around 18 months, and get out on the course around 2-3 times a month. Handicap is currently 21.

I'm currently using a TM Burner Superfast 2.0 driver that I got off ebay for $80 around 9 months ago. It does the job, but I've got itchy fingers and want to upgrade to something newer. Golfbox have the TM Jetspeed for $219, and I also have a $50 off voucher that brings it down to $169 with free delivery. I'm really struggling to pass that up.

I've read good things about the Jetspeed, is that a natural progression from my current driver ?

I know I should go to a demo day or a shop and try it, but just after peoples thoughts at this stage.

Also I don't carry a hybrid in my bag, I have a 15 degree 3-wood, and my 4 Iron is 20 degree (TM Speedblade) I find I get caught in between these clubs sometimes, my local course has a couple par 3's that are a bit short for the 3 wood and a bit long for my 4 iron.

I'm thinking of picking up a second hand 17 or 18 degree hybrid to give it a run, or ideally one that you can adjust the loft on like the TM R11s hybrid.

What are peoples thoughts on this idea about filling the gap with a 17 or 18 degree hybrid ? I have heard that Hybrids hit a little longer than the equivalent lofted Iron, so maybe the 18 or even a 19 is the way to go.

I can't post on the classified forum yet, so if anyone has a 17 or 18 degree RH reg flex hybrid they are looking to part with let me know !

mrbluu
1st May 2014, 09:25 AM
Been playing around 18 months, and get out on the course around 2-3 times a month. Handicap is currently 21.

I'm currently using a TM Burner Superfast 2.0 driver that I got off ebay for $80 around 9 months ago. It does the job, but I've got itchy fingers and want to upgrade to something newer. Golfbox have the TM Jetspeed for $219, and I also have a $50 off voucher that brings it down to $169 with free delivery. I'm really struggling to pass that up.

I've read good things about the Jetspeed, is that a natural progression from my current driver ?

I know I should go to a demo day or a shop and try it, but just after peoples thoughts at this stage.

Also I don't carry a hybrid in my bag, I have a 15 degree 3-wood, and my 4 Iron is 20 degree (TM Speedblade) I find I get caught in between these clubs sometimes, my local course has a couple par 3's that are a bit short for the 3 wood and a bit long for my 4 iron.

I'm thinking of picking up a second hand 17 or 18 degree hybrid to give it a run, or ideally one that you can adjust the loft on like the TM R11s hybrid.

What are peoples thoughts on this idea about filling the gap with a 17 or 18 degree hybrid ? I have heard that Hybrids hit a little longer than the equivalent lofted Iron, so maybe the 18 or even a 19 is the way to go.

I can't post on the classified forum yet, so if anyone has a 17 or 18 degree RH reg flex hybrid they are looking to part with let me know !

Yes to the JetSpeed Driver especially at that price. I have both the SF 2.0 and the JetSpeed and they play very similar. Just make sure you get 1 degree more with the Jetspeed than what you are currently using with your SF.

Why don't you get a jetspeed hybrid as well? The funny thing with Hybrids, the lofts you get to fill your gap will be different from other ppl. For example I got a 21.5* RBZ Stage 2 Hybrid to replace my 3/4iron, but it went too far so I has replace my 5 wood.

Good luck and enjoy.

Bucko
1st May 2014, 09:35 AM
My SF is 10.5, and the way it launches I wouldn't want to go any higher and I'm actually trying to lower it a bit, so I figured the 9.5 Jetspeed gives me a range between 8 & 11.

But you're saying it hits 1 degree lower, so I should actually have the Jetspeed at 11.5 for the same launch angle ? If I go the 9.5 the max will be 11, so maybe that will be ok.

I think as I progress I will want to lower the angle, not increase it so Id like to give myself room to go down.

Cash flow is a bit of an issue, so looking to save some $$$'s on a second hand hybrid. GCO have the TM r11s hybrid for $99, but my local store only has the 4 (21 deg)

mrbluu
1st May 2014, 09:39 AM
My SF is 10.5, and the way it launches I wouldn't want to go any higher and I'm actually trying to lower it a bit, so I figured the 9.5 Jetspeed gives me a range between 8 & 11.

But you're saying it hits 1 degree lower, so I should actually have the Jetspeed at 11.5 for the same launch angle ? If I go the 9.5 the max will be 11, so maybe that will be ok.

I think as I progress I will want to lower the angle, not increase it so Id like to give myself room to go down.

Cash flow is a bit of an issue, so looking to save some $$$'s on a second hand hybrid. GCO have the TM r11s hybrid for $99, but my local store only has the 4 (21 deg)

It depends on how you hit the driver, but higher is generally better, but if you think u hit it too high go the 10.5* in the JetSpeed. What you will find more value is changing the shaft in the SF. This will is a better way of changing the club behaves (I should have done this).

Can you use your voucher on a new Jetspeed hybrid from GB??

JADO75
1st May 2014, 09:41 AM
Being off 21 I'd be more inclined to suggest you get a higher lofted hybrid, probably a 21ish. Jetspeed is a great of choice driver, like Bluu said "loft up" & be aware they play very long at 46"

Bucko
1st May 2014, 09:44 AM
Voucher is for $50 off anything over $200, which fits perfectly with the Jetspeed at $219

JAD075, I'm trying to fill the gap between my 20 degree 4 Iron and 15 degree 3 Wood. Do you think a 21 degree hybrid would hit much further than a 20 degree Iron ? Its a bit of an experiment I guess, which is why I want a cheap second hand one.

On ebay I missed out on a TM r11s 3 hybrid 18 degree which can go up or down 1 degree. Sold for $62. That would have been perfect I think.

Gw 86
1st May 2014, 10:10 AM
My adams 23 degree hybrid plays longer than than my 4 iron . I would say it very much depends on brand and shaft . You should have a fairly big gap between 3 wood and 4 iron maybe some numbers would help these guys . As for the driver go hit them if your close to a store . I find the higher the lift for me the more inaccurate I am .

Bucko
1st May 2014, 10:14 AM
My adams 23 degree hybrid plays longer than than my 4 iron . I would say it very much depends on brand and shaft . You should have a fairly big gap between 3 wood and 4 iron maybe some numbers would help these guys . As for the driver go hit them if your close to a store . I find the higher the lift for me the more inaccurate I am .
What loft is your 4 Iron though ? TM have really jacked them up with my Speedblades and the 4 (20 degree) is basically equivalent to a 3 in most sets.

3Puttpete
1st May 2014, 10:20 AM
I would have thought those lofts are pretty standard now

Gw 86
1st May 2014, 10:25 AM
That's nearly a 2 iron . Mine is the same as my hybrid at 23 but I don't play it anyway I play 5-pw 2 hybrids and a 3 wood at 16.5 degree . What length to you hit your 4 iron and 3 wood .

timah!
1st May 2014, 10:27 AM
I would have thought those lofts are pretty standard now

Not for everyone! :lol:

Bucko
1st May 2014, 10:42 AM
That's nearly a 2 iron . Mine is the same as my hybrid at 23 but I don't play it anyway I play 5-pw 2 hybrids and a 3 wood at 16.5 degree . What length to you hit your 4 iron and 3 wood .

3w 190~
4 Iron 165~ Struggle to get a clean hit with it consistently though

Iain
1st May 2014, 10:58 AM

More like a 1 iron!!

Dotty
1st May 2014, 11:11 AM
3w 190~
4 Iron 165~ Struggle to get a clean hit with it consistently though
If you can't hit a 4i consistently, then a low loft hybrid (<20*) should be out of the question.

Demo the clubs first, rather than buying online based on specification tables.

btw. I've got the Jetspeed fairways and hybrids. They needed 1cm cut off them, to get a comfortable swingweight (originally D5 and D4).
Definitely 'loft up' also. I play a 19* fairway as a 3w replacement, as the heavier shaft keeps the trajectory down.

Personally, I'd look at a 5w (18-21*) to fill the gap. Also demo a few 21-23* hybrids and see how they compare with your 4i.

JADO75
1st May 2014, 11:17 AM
Piss the 4 iron off & get a hybrid, seems like you can't hit it anyway. Yes I think a hybrid will go further than an iron with the same loft & it'll be easier to hit too. If you think you hit your 10.5 sf too high then get a 10.5 jetspeed, they may have same loft but I'll guarantee the jetspeed comes out lower due to a lower cog. It's only a guess but if you're hitting your 3 wood 190, loft is going to be your frien to gain some distance

JADO75
1st May 2014, 11:19 AM
Great call with the 5 wood Dotty

Bucko
1st May 2014, 11:56 AM
Ok thanks guys, ill have a think about all your suggestions and work out what I'm going to do.

Cheers

drobbo
1st May 2014, 12:44 PM
There was an adjustable Cobra Amp Cell in the Pro Shop the other day that may be what you are after.
Cheers
Robbo

3Puttpete
1st May 2014, 12:54 PM
Not for everyone! :lol:

Your baffler XL are pretty similar

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/01/sesymema.jpg

TheNuclearOne
1st May 2014, 04:23 PM

Don't forget the effect on face angle (if you have a pref, most everyone does) when going up and down lofts. When choosing loft for (most) adjustable drivers i base it on liking an open face angle.