PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: drills to help encourage a more rounded swing

coalesce
24th April 2014, 02:34 PM
At the moment my swing is a little like a cricket stance, in that I swing the club very upright - which means that when I get to the top of my swing there's a definite lasso effect! My teacher told me I need to rotate my forearms, but my brain is struggling to work out how to actually do this!

Can anyone please suggest any drills/exercises/pointers that would help encourage me to do it better?

The best (only) one I've heard so far is to imagine I'm throwing a medicine ball over my shoulder, which works fine in my head, but I can't seem to translate that into actions...

davidw88
25th April 2014, 09:22 PM
You can hit balls on the side of a hill with the ball above your feet

highballin
26th April 2014, 06:05 AM
This will help you understand the movements.

http://youtu.be/Aee8zAlL6sA

http://youtu.be/V5o4A0IrGqg

Coldtopper
26th April 2014, 01:42 PM
At the moment my swing is a little like a cricket stance, in that I swing the club very upright - which means that when I get to the top of my swing there's a definite lasso effect! My teacher told me I need to rotate my forearms, but my brain is struggling to work out how to actually do this!

Can anyone please suggest any drills/exercises/pointers that would help encourage me to do it better?

The best (only) one I've heard so far is to imagine I'm throwing a medicine ball over my shoulder, which works fine in my head, but I can't seem to translate that into actions...
Wow that a lot going on for a motion that only lasts a few seconds! Grip, aim, swing and adjust not thaf hard. Get a different coach imho

JADO75
26th April 2014, 05:44 PM
True dat, grip it n rip it brotha!

Double D
27th April 2014, 09:34 AM
You can hit balls on theMc side of a hill with the ball above your feet

This is a great idea as well as doing some baseball swings.

talbo
28th April 2014, 04:50 PM
SKLZ Gold Flex might help also.

solarbear
5th May 2014, 04:28 PM
Ok how to rotate forearms. Pay attention to the front of your arms. The v where your arm bends should point towards the target line at set up. Make your normal backswing. The right v will point up at some angle. When you make the swing you need to point the v back to the target line. When it gets going good you can feel like you are turning it through the ball.

Trento
24th August 2014, 12:05 PM
Go and see Donny Fardon at hope island, he will shallow you out

Progolfgear
5th September 2014, 05:41 PM
Just watch a little more of Miguel Angel Jimenez on television should do the trick!

razaar
16th September 2014, 07:38 PM

The best (only) one I've heard so far is to imagine I'm throwing a medicine ball over my shoulder, which works fine in my head, but I can't seem to translate that into actions...Count your blessings that u have an upright action. After all the ball is on the ground when it is in play which requires an under and up, down and out action to make solid contact and keep the clubface on target longer. Forget about rotation, it will happen naturally. Your challenge is to keep the elbows close together during the swing and pointing in towards the body during the takeaway and towards the ground during the upswing. U don't need a ball to practice this, only space to swing a club.

jbez
16th September 2014, 08:48 PM
Nick Faldo has a good little video on YouTube called the Faldo pre set drill. Should help get you on plane and flatter in the backswing

p4m
18th September 2014, 05:57 PM
Have u tried just focusing on target and not worry about backswing at all eg. Keep your mind on swinging forward

Helps me alot and I never worry on my backswing position anymore

mrbluu
18th September 2014, 06:38 PM
Have u tried just focusing on target and not worry about backswing at all eg. Keep your mind on swinging forward

Helps me alot and I never worry on my backswing position anymore

Yep and I play crap!!!

I need to have a technical thought or 2 when I'm playing.

wstarks
22nd September 2014, 05:36 PM
stand with the right foot back and make 3/4 swings focussing on a shallower plane and turning hard through impact

aym
1st December 2014, 08:29 AM
Nick Faldo has a good little video on YouTube called the Faldo pre set drill. Should help get you on plane and flatter in the backswing

This really worked for me in the irons, golf swing can not get any easier, however driver is another issue, I am starting to doubt people when they tell me it's the same swing..

Toolish
1st December 2014, 08:35 PM
You mention a lasoo effect...if you are picking it up in the backswing then dropping it into the slot on the way down it is not a bad thing.

If that is not what is happening then it sound more like you are off plane than anything else. Grab a couple of torches back to back. Set up square to a wall with the torck pointing where the wall meets the floor. Take a swing and watch where the torch goes...then report back.