PDA

View Full Version : Club champ goals

Waddzy
23rd April 2014, 02:00 PM
Club champs start for us next month and I have no idea what I can really aim for this year , Last year I was in the better end of C grade and managed to take out the gross for C grade but now as a 9-10 handicap I am up against the real golfers. No chance of winning it I know as something like 6 under should take the prize but I also don't see a realistic chance of making top 16 for match play even shooting 4 x 80's would see me fall outside the 16 by memory of last years scores.

What do you generally aim for each year or will be aiming for this year oz-golfers?

AndyP
23rd April 2014, 02:08 PM
I usually set multiple goals including beating my previous champs score, best champs score, or a realistic goal and maybe a stretch goal. I doubt that I will get to play all 4 round this year, as my son's footy team, which I coach, plays a lot of games at 11am, which make it too hard to play morning or afternoon field. It is a shame, because I am in my best scoring form. I knew having kids would catch up to my golf game one of these days.

Slothman
23rd April 2014, 02:16 PM
Waddzy...I am in a similar boat. First year, was no chance B Grade (18 HC) and made the Final 2 in matchplay. Last year was in good shape B Grade (14 HC) and completely bolloxed the whole effort.

This year I have just scraped into A grade....but we are doing it different.

Every Monthly Mug round are qualifying rounds. I think they are taking best 2-3 scores to qualify. Top 8 into Matchplay. So, considering I know of a bunch of A graders who broke 80 last time out, and I have never broke 80, I think my goals are more "my game" than championship :(

My aim is to break 80 and get my GA Handicap below 9.0 before the end of the Winter Season. Than we will worry about next years club champs :)

mrbluu
23rd April 2014, 02:18 PM
My golf is to make the top 16 scratch after 3 rounds. I think I finished 20th last year, which was a PB. Depending on what handicap I'm off, I'm hoping to be in with a shake for the Nett.

Shortylook
23rd April 2014, 02:28 PM
I don't think we actually have a championship type thing at home. Our monthly mugs are pretty big thing, so I will be trying to win one of them. Also defending our open day would be pretty special if I could pull that off. Getting under 90 each time would be great too, but I might be kidding myself I think. Time will tell

Dotty
23rd April 2014, 02:40 PM
Same as every other year, accept any invitations to play away during those six weekends.

Even if I qualify top 16 in A-reserve, a 12-marker can't compete with 5-markers playing off 8.

AndyP
23rd April 2014, 03:39 PM
If you are "aiming" to win nett, you are a burglar.

mrbluu
23rd April 2014, 03:52 PM
Not at all :D

At our club u need to in the top 16 after 3 rounds to be eligible for the nett and shooting your handicap generally gets the job done.

Courty
23rd April 2014, 04:01 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if setting goals for these events is counter-productive. They're difficult enough without the added pressure. I won't be playing my Club Champs this year, but next time round I may just turn to enjoy the day and see what happens.

mrbluu
23rd April 2014, 04:03 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if setting goals for these events is counter-productive. They're difficult enough without the added pressure. I won't be playing my Club Champs this year, but next time round I may just turn to enjoy the day and see what happens.

I'm actually going to put in the practice leading up to it like I did last year. Obviously things can still go wrong!!!

Looney
23rd April 2014, 04:19 PM
My goals are to play solid golf in each round and not have stupid blow out scores. 4 rounds close to my handicap will leave me happy

sms316
23rd April 2014, 04:20 PM
Don't **** up. Haven't achieved that goal since 2000.

Jarro
23rd April 2014, 04:24 PM
To play would be nice.

backintheswing
23rd April 2014, 04:26 PM
I love club champs as it means I get to play Sundays, as our club usually doesn't have a comp on Sundays. However the bad part is the Saturday's are usually out as I have rugby league at around 11am on a Saturday.

Last year I shot the 2 low rounds of the day on the Sundays in the 2nd and 4th rounds. No pressure for me.

Dcanto
23rd April 2014, 04:44 PM
To play would be nice. +1

oldracer
23rd April 2014, 05:35 PM
Don't **** up. Haven't achieved that goal since 2000.:lol:

live4golf
23rd April 2014, 06:30 PM
Same as sms, seems I am in contention to a degree until I have a 9 or screw up a ruling...

markTHEblake
23rd April 2014, 06:47 PM
Don't **** up. Haven't achieved that goal since 2000.I haven't achieved that goal since 1983 inclusive. That third place was my best ever finish and also my first time contending. Lost count of how many I have led after 1 or 2 rounds. I need to work on "moving day" :-)

990B Luva
23rd April 2014, 06:52 PM
Make the top 8, hopefully win something.

Gw 86
23rd April 2014, 07:05 PM
Don't put first shot of first round o.b

Hatchman
23rd April 2014, 07:37 PM
Defend my title.

highballin
23rd April 2014, 07:44 PM
I didn't really have any goals re club champs until I made the B grade final then put pressure on myself and f*cked up big time. The following week back to normal comp shot 80 off the stick 42points no expectations :roll:

Waddzy
24th April 2014, 07:21 AM
My golf is to make the top 16 scratch after 3 rounds. I think I finished 20th last year, which was a PB. Depending on what handicap I'm off, I'm hoping to be in with a shake for the Nett.
I would love to aim for the top 16 scratch for matchplay but given there are at least 25+ guys playing with a cap of 5 or less I dont see my chances being too good. Im also picking a new guy who just joined to take out both nett and gross so I wont be aiming for anything in the nett wise. He plays off 4 and his first 2 rounds at our club have been 2 under and 3 under, will be hard to beat although there are a couple of guys who can potentially win , unlike last year where we could give the trophy out before last years winner even teed off.

If I don't beat last years stroke averages I will probably cry considering I finished with an average of 89 to win C grade so I think I will be aiming to just finish with an average of 82 ( playing to my cap).

Hatchman
24th April 2014, 10:30 AM
I would love to aim for the top 16 scratch for matchplay but given there are at least 25+ guys playing with a cap of 5 or less I dont see my chances being too good. Im also picking a new guy who just joined to take out both nett and gross so I wont be aiming for anything in the nett wise. He plays off 4 and his first 2 rounds at our club have been 2 under and 3 under, will be hard to beat although there are a couple of guys who can potentially win , unlike last year where we could give the trophy out before last years winner even teed off.

If I don't beat last years stroke averages I will probably cry considering I finished with an average of 89 to win C grade so I think I will be aiming to just finish with an average of 82 ( playing to my cap).

No ones a certainty. Some have a better chances but no ones a certainty.

No one would have tipped me to win ours, yet I did. One particular member has his name on the board roughly 25-30 times with some long consecutive runs.

AndyP
14th May 2014, 03:00 PM
I usually set multiple goals including beating my previous champs score, best champs score, or a realistic goal and maybe a stretch goal. I doubt that I will get to play all 4 round this year, as my son's footy team, which I coach, plays a lot of games at 11am, which make it too hard to play morning or afternoon field. It is a shame, because I am in my best scoring form. I knew having kids would catch up to my golf game one of these days.The footy game times are okay for the first two rounds, except the second round is my wife's birthday. I think I'm doomed to miss this year. The third and fourth rounds are also matchplay qualifiers, it is highly unlikely that at least one junior footy game won't be fixtured for then, considering 3 of our first four games have been at 11am.

Courty
14th May 2014, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure this years Club Champs are on when I'm overseas this year. Didn't plan that very well. :roll:

Waddzy
15th May 2014, 09:18 AM
I wish I was overseas for the club champs.. I've opened up with 2 gross scores higher than I did last year in C grade.. and im playing in A grade. I think the only thing I have got left to aim for is to not raise the bat for any rounds.

Looney
15th May 2014, 09:48 AM
I seem to play my worst rounds of the year during champs as well waddzy. Hang in there and try to make the last 2 rounds count

Waddzy
15th May 2014, 10:12 AM
Im only in the last 2 rounds for a side bet now . Starting fresh against someone for 2 rounds should be good, I havent exactly practiced or done anything proactive in enabling myself to shoot better scores so im not too worried. I may actually put effort back into golf and start playing for some progress.

AndyP
16th May 2014, 03:48 PM
...and there's the 11am footy game for round 3. I'm out. :(
Winning Div 4 Pennant will be only club focus now.