PDA

View Full Version : Par Comps are ???

Coldtopper
22nd April 2014, 10:25 PM
A follow on from another thread.
Par Comps are the best as 6ft bogey putts dont occur. As for 4 points = + well sucked in about time you bandits gave up something. I feel great after playing a par comp as I never shot over par!

If I knew how to start a poll I would have.

Pencil
22nd April 2014, 10:42 PM
Ghey

Johnny Canuck
23rd April 2014, 01:42 AM
Fine.

Dotty
23rd April 2014, 05:23 AM
Allow B graders to win non-graded events.

Great comp for a bit of variety, especially during shorter daylight hours.

PeteyD
23rd April 2014, 06:10 AM
Great comps. Good challenge.

backintheswing
23rd April 2014, 06:14 AM
Non-existent at my club.

Hatchman
23rd April 2014, 06:45 AM
Non-existent at my club.

I like your club already.

Par comps are a waste of a round of golf and are shite.

sms316
23rd April 2014, 07:00 AM
A great for those with selective memories because they bitch about only getting a + for a 4 pointer but forget that they can't get worse than a - regardless of how badly they play a hole.

Slothman
23rd April 2014, 07:42 AM
Yeh I like them. We only do 1 or 2 every 2 months so its more of a change.

I see it as Matchplay against the course where you are forced to play consistent. Good fun, but I wouldn't like to play it each week :)

Double D
23rd April 2014, 07:48 AM
Had one on the weekend -7. I'm happy because I would've had about 25 points if it were a stableford!

BUSHY
23rd April 2014, 08:11 AM
I like your club already.

Par comps are a waste of a round of golf and are shite.

Agreed.

3oneday
23rd April 2014, 08:12 AM
It's golf, how bad can it be.

BGH
23rd April 2014, 08:36 AM
Par is my favourite format. I love just playing matchplay against the course.

Daves
23rd April 2014, 08:42 AM
.. are extinct at our club, not a single event on the men's fixtures list this year. I don't mind them, but obviously not popular with the old farts and B Graders.

BUSHY
23rd April 2014, 08:58 AM
but obviously not popular with the old farts and B Graders.

What makes you think that?

Iain
23rd April 2014, 09:03 AM
I don't mind them, but obviously not popular with the old farts and B Graders.

Probably because they don't understand it.

3oneday
23rd April 2014, 09:58 AM
Probably because old farts and b graders are the committee guys, who hate them and prefer to play ambroses on Saturdays because they play 4 days a week anyway :)

Pencil
23rd April 2014, 09:58 AM
Anyone else suffered through a bisque par event. Stupidest game ever. Makes a normal par game look inviting.

Daves
23rd April 2014, 10:01 AM
What makes you think that?

Because the Vets don't have any scheduled either. And our club is dominated by B Graders, including a heap of A Grade Burglars who have perfected the blow out past 12, and 4 pointers are their bread and butter. Both the Open and Vets comps used to play them every other month when I first joined. The Ladies are still playing them though.

Daves
23rd April 2014, 10:04 AM
Probably because old farts and b graders are the committee guys, who hate them and prefer to play ambroses on Saturdays because they play 4 days a week anyway :)

The first part is mostly right, but they don't like Ambroses either, interferes with their money games rituals.

Rodent
23rd April 2014, 10:34 AM
My club stuffed up the scoring for par events. When converting the score to stableford, they counted minuses as wipes. I shot square in a par event and my stableford score for handicapping purposes was 31! You'd think they would have twigged when the DSR was the maximum allowable for the last 2 par events when conditions were great. The DSR was 2 shots higher than I've ever seen it before :roll:

sms316
23rd April 2014, 10:35 AM
Anyone else suffered through a bisque par event. Stupidest game ever. Makes a normal par game look inviting. Yep. Even stupider when played off +1.

LeftyHoges
23rd April 2014, 12:20 PM
Great for low markers. Actually brings the field down to their level.

I've only played 1 in the last two and a half years, and 3 in 4 years though. I quite enjoy it.

As an aside, to score a par comp if you have a wipe do you still have to play out the next shot to get the stableford score for handicapping purposes?

Steve57
23rd April 2014, 12:30 PM
Short answer - No.
You don't mark stableford points on the card in a Par comp.
The handicapping software calculates it automatically, at least the Micropower software does!

BUSHY
23rd April 2014, 12:32 PM
Great for low markers. Actually brings the field down to their level.

I've only played 1 in the last two and a half years, and 3 in 4 years though. I quite enjoy it.

As an aside, to score a par comp if you have a wipe do you still have to play out the next shot to get the stableford score for handicapping purposes?

Don't think so. We had to enter a score per hole at the end. Minus and plus is as far as you go.. Minus is relative to one point so your eliminating wipes from the equation.

LeftyHoges
23rd April 2014, 12:37 PM
So in theory it's actually the best competition for a low marker to play in for handicapping purposes when you compare the number of birdies made on shot-holes compared to number of scratches.

And by the same theorem it's probably the best one for everyone really...

markTHEblake
23rd April 2014, 12:56 PM
Anyone else suffered through a bisque par event. Stupidest game ever. Makes a normal par game look inviting. Bisque bogey is awesome especially for higher handicappers. And just about Perfect for those who whinge about wasting shots

goughy
23rd April 2014, 02:55 PM
So it'd be right up my alley....

jimandr
23rd April 2014, 05:59 PM
.... are a grind, and for me a not very enjoyable grind. I don't need to play matchplay against the course to know how I am going, and I definitely don't need to face any number of 4 footers for a square.

Also, par events take the fun out of getting birdies. Most birdies on shot holes might be flukes for me, but they are fun to get if they are worth something.

BUSHY
23rd April 2014, 07:47 PM
Yep. Even stupider when played off +1.

I love that word.

Shortylook
23rd April 2014, 08:05 PM
awesome when you have a plus of any type at the end

mike
23rd April 2014, 08:38 PM
Our club used to have them (called it VSS) and I was guilty of whinging and bitching about it because I didn't understand it.
I see it as Matchplay against the course ...... which I now realise and now that I understand it and keen to play this format there's no opportunity to do it.

mike
23rd April 2014, 08:39 PM
I love that word. Ha! My favouritest word.

AndyP
23rd April 2014, 08:46 PM
Par Comps are
not for mental minnows.

I like it. It suits the way that I approach the game and my consistency.

markTHEblake
23rd April 2014, 09:02 PM
Another reason I like it is because half the nongs in the field hate it, so they are out. why do they think they are the only ones capable of scoring 4 points on a hole?

tyrob
24th April 2014, 04:50 PM
Love em..

Larso32
24th April 2014, 09:43 PM
Like them too. I'm much better at getting wipes than 4 pointers so it works for me!

PerryGroves
25th April 2014, 01:24 PM
Anyone else suffered through a bisque par event. Stupidest game ever. Makes a normal par game look inviting.

I used to help the handicapper back in the 80s when I started, fe kin' bisque was a debacle. Pencil, Congrats on the new addition

Buzz
26th April 2014, 10:16 AM
I like them, we have one this Sunday and looking forward to it.

Like most clubs though it seems the older members whine constantly and want a steady diet of stableford and nothing but stableford. Glad the match committee resists for the most part but unfortunately Par is about as exotic as we get these days due to the whining.

Shortylook
26th April 2014, 11:00 AM
My golf day was going to be a PAR day, but 2 games of par in 3 weeks is a bit much. I wanted stroke but all the old dudes complained, just thought it would be good warm up for monthly mug.

wazandnic
26th April 2014, 04:48 PM
... are better than the Irish 4BBB my club tend to put on regularly on a Sat or Sun. Only get to play every other week and stuffs me when a 4BBB is put on with no individual. But that's another gripe...

Actually I like Par also. May be due to my consistency then one or two blow outs costing me in a stroke, etc, but no so in a Par. Just doesn't seem to punish me and I would say every Par event I have played over last couple of years has ended up being a counter. In fact last recollection of a win was in a Par event about a year ago 8)