PDA

View Full Version : New Sydney Golfer, help!

GolfTourettes
22nd April 2014, 09:28 AM
I'm new too Sydney (based around Canterbury) and looking for a course to join that has good overall value for money, comp availability, moderate difficulty, facilities, practice potential etc. I'm a 13 handicap and only been playing for 4 months, so I'm still looking for courses to improve my game. I'm looking forward to challenging myself all around Sydney but ultimately looking for a 'mid range' course to join. Any help would be great.

Cheers

davepuppies
22nd April 2014, 10:29 AM
That's crazy good to be playing off 13 after only 4 months of taking up the game!

Did you have a cricket/baseball/hockey background before taking up the game?

GolfTourettes
22nd April 2014, 10:49 AM
Yeah mate played cricket for about 15 years had a few years off and took up golf. HC Started on 25 then 14 rounds later down too 13.5. And loving every minute of it!

GolfTourettes
22nd April 2014, 11:05 AM
How are majority of prizes paid? Onto membership card? Is there 'ball' prizes aswell?

Lagerlover
22nd April 2014, 11:42 AM
Best username ever.

Hatchman
22nd April 2014, 06:16 PM
Best username ever.

What, better than Largerlover? :)

jimandr
22nd April 2014, 06:23 PM
Regarding the actual questions asked in the OP: as you are probably already aware, the inner south west is a golfing wasteland, so you will need to travel, and you'll have to pay more than you may want.

So, depending on how much you want to travel and pay, your local options are as follows.

Carnarvon, typical Sydney style course, not too bad.
Bankstown, same as above but a bit better and more expensive
Strathfield, not quite as good and much more expensive

If you were prepared to travel east, Titliest is a member of Kogarah, Wazandic is a member of EastLakes.

The bad options include Marrickville, Bardwell Valley and Massey Park. Guy Incognito is a member at Bexley.

The further you are prepared to travel, the more options you have. But if you are a golf course snob, you'll be disappointed in Sydney unless you are super rich and can buy your way onto NSW.

If you get days off during the week, most Sydney courses within 45 minutes of you have an open day comp during the week. That is the best way to check out the course and the members who play it.

Comp prizes are usually paid as credit against your membership card to be spent in the pro shop or clubhouse if you are lucky.

Steve
22nd April 2014, 06:38 PM
Come to New Brighton, cheap and friendly ;)

pt73
22nd April 2014, 09:28 PM
I played there today Steve and was very impressed, hadn't played there for about 30 years. Lots of variety and makes you think about what to hit off the tee, greens were excellent.

Steve
22nd April 2014, 09:37 PM
Yes the course is looking good at the moment

SirTop
22nd April 2014, 10:43 PM
Mate have a hit at Kogarah - titleist and me are members there, he's a good player, I suck

But I started playing like you, just over 12 months ago. After 4 months I was on 15, then it went pear shaped after that, so stick to the plan :)
Back to 15.6 now.

I played cricket for 30 years, lots of good stuff in there to help with the transition. If you want to have a hit at Kogarah, let one of us know.

Lovely course, good greens, fair prices and easy to get to at the end of the M5 and close to the city

Good luck

mrbluu
22nd April 2014, 10:56 PM
The best 3 best value for money courses would be, Cabra (I'm a member here and there is no joining fee at the moment), Liverpool and New Brighton.

Cabramatta and Liverpool are crappy to get to in peak hour traffic, but only 20-25min down the motor way for u.

I'm bias but I think Cabra offer the best overall challenge and year round conditions.

Good luck with your search and let me know if u want a game.

GolfTourettes
23rd April 2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! Do they all have open comps? So I can play them all on a weekly basis? Whats so bad about Marrickville, Bardwell and Massey?

Had a squiz at kogarah and it looks very nice.

3oneday
23rd April 2014, 08:10 AM
I've played Bardwell Valley, was a member there years ago.

I didn't mind it, go play it and see. Everyone rates things differently.

Rodent
23rd April 2014, 11:14 AM
Marrickville is a "modest" track. It's never in real good shape but members can play social games and practice there free of charge. If you live close to the course it's worth considering because you'll be able to practice often and then it becomes good value.
Massey Park is cheap but practice facilities are poor and you must pay to play on the course.
I live not far from Canterbury racecourse and the options are limited. I'm reluctant to pay big $ because I like variety and want to play all over the place. I need a course where I can practice a lot. I recently joined Marrickville for this reason. I was briefly a member at Lynwood (best practice facilities) but I never used them because it was too far from home.

GolfTourettes
23rd April 2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah decent practice facilities and cheap social games are a good option.

GolfTourettes
23rd April 2014, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know how much it is the 'play, practice socially' at bardwell. I have a connection there and was thinking of joining there for my first year. Whilst utilising the other courses open days until I find one that really appeals to me. I've played there once and although it's only par 62 I didn't think it was that bad. I'd be happy to join there for cheaper rate if I can follow the open comps around for a year to get a feel for things.

SirTop
23rd April 2014, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know how much it is the 'play, practice socially' at bardwell. I have a connection there and was thinking of joining there for my first year. Whilst utilising the other courses open days until I find one that really appeals to me. I've played there once and although it's only par 62 I didn't think it was that bad. I'd be happy to join there for cheaper rate if I can follow the open comps around for a year to get a feel for things.

But why join somewhere that you don't think is "that bad".

Join somewhere you love and that convenient. A year is a long time.

Also, go play a game at the few of the options before you decide

I love Kogarah because it's a quality course, but also because it's 6 mins drive from home. When I get an hour spare, I can be on the first tee in ten mins, this is a huge thing imo

GolfTourettes
23rd April 2014, 09:22 PM
Point taken... Can def see where you are coming from

GolfTourettes
26th April 2014, 06:03 AM
What about Beverley Park? How's that match up?

mrbluu
26th April 2014, 06:07 AM
U are going to have to play the courses to see which one u are going to enjoy more and what u think are better value.

GolfTourettes
26th April 2014, 06:50 PM
Best open comp on a Tuesday???

JADO75
26th April 2014, 08:06 PM
Camden Lakeside or Carnarvon

GolfTourettes
26th April 2014, 08:53 PM
Camden Lakeside or Carnarvon

Cheers mate

mrbluu
27th April 2014, 01:09 AM
I think stone cutters ridge have a Comp too

Rodent
28th April 2014, 09:02 AM
I think stone cutters ridge have a Comp too

Correct. I would add Lynwood to the Tuesday list.

GolfTourettes
28th April 2014, 01:27 PM
Bit of a noob question but does reciprocal member mean that you pay the same price as members for comps and the like?

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2014, 01:47 PM
What, better than Largerlover? :)

HeftyHoges

Yossarian
28th April 2014, 01:49 PM
Bit of a noob question but does reciprocal member mean that you pay the same price as members for comps and the like?

Depends on the course in question.

GolfTourettes
28th April 2014, 01:51 PM
My current club is reciprocal with eastlakes

mrbluu
28th April 2014, 03:28 PM
My current club is reciprocal with eastlakes

What course is that, and give Eastlake a call to find out.

wazandnic
28th April 2014, 03:51 PM
Yep ditto, prob best to give the club a call to check on the reciprocal rights, but I reckon they will prob be "pays same as members for comps" etc.

GolfTourettes
29th April 2014, 08:57 AM
What are the best driving ranges? I'm around the Canterbury area

Dotty
29th April 2014, 09:12 AM
What are the best driving ranges? I'm around the Canterbury area
It may not be the best, but there's a range at Hudson Park Golf Course.

Corner of Centenary Drive and Arthur St, Flemington. (Midway between Strathfield GC and Flemington markets.)

GolfTourettes
30th April 2014, 10:22 AM
Playing Bexley open comp today! See how that goes

GolfTourettes
4th May 2014, 04:16 PM
How do you rate Liverpool?

Is there a thread with people's course reviews? If not I'm gunna start one

KristianJ
4th May 2014, 04:23 PM

Feel free to start one in the Course Talk area. There's not a thread full of reviews...just threads about particular courses.

jimandr
4th May 2014, 07:53 PM

Sydney Ozgolfers play Liverpool quite often in their Open Days, so quite a few will have opinions. Some will be positive, others won't be.

Count me on the negative side. It floods whenever someone leaves a tap running, and just about every green has the same bunkering design. I'm speaking through my hat though. I've never played well there as it just doesn't suit my game.

Steve
4th May 2014, 08:13 PM
I like the layout at Liverpool, however it can get very run down depending on the owner at the time.

mrbluu
4th May 2014, 08:46 PM
Sydney Ozgolfers play Liverpool quite often in their Open Days, so quite a few will have opinions. Some will be positive, others won't be.

Count me on the negative side. It floods whenever someone leaves a tap running, and just about every green has the same bunkering design. I'm speaking through my hat though. I've never played well there as it just doesn't suit my game.

I like Liverpool, it suits my game. I agree the guys that tjr condition can be hitbanf miss but the last 3 times I've played there its been in good nick.

JADO75
4th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Liverpool flicked the contractors who were looking after the course didn't they? From what I hear they left most of the courses they were or are contracted to worse off for having them there.
Last time I played Liverpool which was earlier this year I was shocked at how backwards it has gone from a few years ago, nice layout but it looked like crap, far from the premium conditioned course it once was.