PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 21st April

dunteachin
21st April 2014, 07:08 PM
32 points again (17/15) - happy with most of my game - had quite a few "how didn't that go in" putts and a little bit of bad luck with bounces - driving has improved and approaches not terrible - not far off a good score (cross fingers)

BenM
21st April 2014, 07:16 PM
36 holes today

95/83 this morning including 5 separate penalties (2x unplayable, 1x OB, 1x lost ball, 1x water hazard)

88/76 this arvo in the rain - no penalties, just crap golf

Too many bad tee shots and some horrendous putting.

AndyP
21st April 2014, 08:23 PM
21/4/14, Wolston Park GC, Stableford.

7/11 effective tee shots, 10/18 effective approaches, 30 putts, 4/6 up and down successes.

Score (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20140421-p147.html): 38-34-72 stab 19-20-39pts (Par 35-32-67).

Three three-putts after hitting the greens in regulation and an OOB in that good score, so it could have been better. My attitude to the game this year and changing my expectations away from the handicap system seems to have been very good for my scoring.

Next round: Anzac day stableford at WP where I will play off 6 for the first time.

Jackson
21st April 2014, 09:59 PM
What do you count as an effective tee shot and effective approach Andy?

AndyP
22nd April 2014, 07:43 AM
What do you count as an effective tee shot and effective approach Andy?
Effective tee shot - going where the tee shot was intended, whether that is the fairway, a neighbouring fairway or even light rough.
Effective approach - an approach placed where putting is the only option that I consider. This includes the fringe and sometimes other areas that are close to the hole. As a result, I would also count my putts from these positions.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd April 2014, 02:05 PM
31 points today. Didn't hit it that great but again the putter is killing my game. If I don't hit the green it's bogey. Missed 3 or 4 from short range or straight from 6ft

5/14 fairways

8/18 greens

36 putts

jimandr
23rd April 2014, 05:43 PM
A nett 74 in the midweek medal at Ballina today. But that does not even start to tell the story of this round.

Let me go back to the start. I had a Quick Fix lesson from the pro on Monday. Today was the first chance to try it under match conditions. The first drive was OK but not great, leaving about 170 metres downhill to the green. I took out a 4 rescue for the first off-the-ground shot post lesson. I hit it good, and straight at the hole. We can't see the front of the green or the bottom of the pin. We get there and I cannot see the ball. Maybe it went over the back. But....

ITS IN THE HOLE!!!! An eagle, only my 8th eagle ever, and the longest holeout I've ever had. 2 under after 1.

From that point I played all right for the next 7 holes to be only one over, and then the newish swing collapsed a bit. Lots of work to do, but if I can remember what to do and how to put it into action, I can see good things happening on the golf course in the near future.

drobbo
23rd April 2014, 07:37 PM
Congrats on the eagle jimandr! Must have been an awesome feeling.

GuyIncognito
25th April 2014, 12:05 AM
Easter Monday at Bankstown off the plates with lightning greens... course rated 76 should be an indication of how toguh it was, came home dbl-dbl for 27 points...

Wednesday at Bexley I started 3-4-3-4-3-3-4-3-4 to turn -1, let a few go on the back nine sadly and had 36pts (+5)

Had a lesson with the pro after the round, worked on some alignment and lateral movement issues.

Played New Brighton today, had +4, an eagle and 6 bogeys, includes a penalty for moving stuff in a hazard when I didn't realise I was in a hazard :(

Should be down to 4.4 after today, new PB.

BenM
25th April 2014, 08:00 AM
I played Wednesday, like Matt 3 Jab my putter failed me, it's been horrible the last few rounds. It doesn't help that I can't seem to knock a chip close, I'm leaving everything 4-6 feet away and missing all the putts.

Started off the 10th with birdie par bogey par par for 15 points, then leaked all the way home, had two wipes and finished with 35 points (20f 15b). I did manage to win A grade longest drive though which is highly unusual, especially since the hole in question (10th) was number 1 for us on the day.

AndyP
25th April 2014, 12:09 PM
25/4/14, Wolston Park GC, Stableford.

5/11 effective tee shots, 8/18 effective approaches, 33 putts, 2/7 up and down successes.

Score (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20140425-p148.html): 40-36-76 stab 16-17-33pts (Par 35-32-67).

My ball striking was off today, and my chipping was ordinary also. There seemed to be many "not quites" too; not quite dropping in the hole, not quite getting over that tree, you know the feeling. I played worse than the final score would indicate, but bookending the round with birdies helped keep it to a score that I'm happy with.

Next round: I will probably only play one round over the next two weekends.

mrbluu
25th April 2014, 12:39 PM
Played Cumberland with 3OD, KJ and GWhang. Thanks again to 3OD for the invite, very enjoyable day with the boys.

In what is becoming a habit for me, I left my umbrella holder and lob wedge at home. The new JetSpeed paired with the RedTie made an appearance for the first time and first impressions are very good. Started to get good shape on the ball and hitting as long as the SF. Highlight was knocking it on the par 17th (I think). The was lots of other good drives.

Had a chat to Virge during the week and he gave me a couple of drills to work on and the ball striking has come back to almost what it was when I was playing well.

Around good performance and I had 34points after some tired and rusty shots after not playing for a couple of weeks. Can't wait til Sunday at Richmond.

KristianJ
25th April 2014, 01:18 PM
34 points for me as well at Cumbo.

Usual mix of good and bad shots. No wipes, a couple of 3 putt holes.

Will probably forgo a round tomorrow and waot for Sunday.

oncewasagolfer
25th April 2014, 03:28 PM
22 points yesterday in a 9 hole comp started with a 3 for 5 after holing a 20 footer for eagle. Had 2 birdies as well but a wipe and a 1 pointer slowed things down.

highballin
25th April 2014, 05:06 PM
A nett 74 in the midweek medal at Ballina today. But that does not even start to tell the story of this round.

Let me go back to the start. I had a Quick Fix lesson from the pro on Monday. Today was the first chance to try it under match conditions. The first drive was OK but not great, leaving about 170 metres downhill to the green. I took out a 4 rescue for the first off-the-ground shot post lesson. I hit it good, and straight at the hole. We can't see the front of the green or the bottom of the pin. We get there and I cannot see the ball. Maybe it went over the back. But....

ITS IN THE HOLE!!!! An eagle, only my 8th eagle ever, and the longest holeout I've ever had. 2 under after 1.

From that point I played all right for the next 7 holes to be only one over, and then the newish swing collapsed a bit. Lots of work to do, but if I can remember what to do and how to put it into action, I can see good things happening on the golf course in the near future.

Wow what a feelin that must be. Great work Jimandr

highballin
25th April 2014, 05:09 PM
32 points again (17/15) - happy with most of my game - had quite a few "how didn't that go in" putts and a little bit of bad luck with bounces - driving has improved and approaches not terrible - not far off a good score (cross fingers)

Funny when you play well all the bounces seem to go with you. Seems like you have to be tortured first go through a rough trot and slowly the luck turns.

Courty
25th April 2014, 05:32 PM
Single stableford at Mareeba GC with NK this morning.

Another sub-80 round (79, 35pts) which really should've been a couple lower if not for a brainfart jug on the 17th which ended in a double, and then a soft bogey to follow it on the last.

6 FIRs
4 GIRs (could've sworn I hit more, but many were within a few inches of the putting surface)
27 putts

Coldtopper
25th April 2014, 07:48 PM
22 points yesterday in a 9 hole comp started with a 3 for 5 after holing a 20 footer for eagle. Had 2 birdies as well but a wipe and a 1 pointer slowed things down. y
Nice work OWAG was that at HQ? The course must be playing ok atm?

dunteachin
25th April 2014, 08:03 PM
Wheels fell off today - 23 miserable points (8/15) - can't drive, can't chip, can't putt - on to better things tomorrow cross fingers

Coldtopper
25th April 2014, 08:48 PM
25/4/14, Wolston Park GC, Stableford.

5/11 effective tee shots, 8/18 effective approaches, 33 putts, 2/7 up and down successes.

Score (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20140425-p148.html): 40-36-76 stab 16-17-33pts (Par 35-32-67)..
Thats a lot of numbers going on there BINGO!

jimandr
25th April 2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words after my hole out for eagle. It is a good feeling, but tempered just a little by the fact that I didn't see it go in. A further bonus was that my name came out in the card draw, so an extra $85 went onto my pro-shop credit.

No hole-outs today, or birdies or any putts holed over about 4 feet. A really bad start where I simply could not hit the ball for the first five holes meant a very ordinary total score of 30 points. Even with handicap for the last 13 holes meant I am not totally despondent, particularly as I missed a number of holeable putts in that stretch.

I may spend the next week practicing, as there is a 4bbb next Wednesday and no comp next Friday. Otherwise, I might be looking at an away game during the week somewhere.

catch22
25th April 2014, 09:02 PM
Finally having a good patch!
Had 41pts off 15hcap Monday and 40pts off 14 today, handicap back down to 12.2 (although play off 13 on my home course)

For some mysterious reason my drives are actually going straight, not sure what is causing it but making sure to keep my setup and swing "feel" as close as I can!
Hit 10/14 FW Monday and 10/14 today which is crazy for me.

Missed a tapin and a few short putts, so maybe room for improvement if I can learn to putt somehow!

Jackson
25th April 2014, 09:09 PM
32 points, very happy to get that after 10 points on the front 9!

Not sure whether to be upset that I only scored 32 points or stoked that I scored 22 points on the back?

Coldtopper
26th April 2014, 02:50 PM
7 over going out 3 under coming home. ****kkk this game suxs hit a massive street walker on the second and the cbfs set in from there with a treble. Hope to start scoring better soon....

Iain
26th April 2014, 03:16 PM
Redland Bay 26/04/14

22/11=33points

Couldn't hit much better on the front 9, short game was going well, made the turn with 22 points (1 over the card). Then just fell in a heap on the back with 11 points (with 2 wipes), wasn't getting through the ball well at all and was pushing everything right.

64% Fairways
25% Greens
24 putt's (plus another 2 holes I picked up on)
1 Penalty (On 15 again!)
0/1 Sand Save

Next round - Friday in the Black Marker.

BenM
26th April 2014, 05:10 PM
27 pts today. FML. Should've stayed at home.

Pretty much gave up after 3 holes. Got sick of waiting for playing partners who had no idea how to play with any sort of speed. About 4.5hrs today to play 18 holes of Stableford with nobody holding us up all day.

backintheswing
26th April 2014, 05:15 PM
38 points. Could have been a lot better. Absolutely over playing on a wet course after another 100mm of rain on Wednesday and Thursday this week.

Ferrins
26th April 2014, 05:30 PM
Last three rounds have scored a total 34pts on the front and 63pts on the back nine. Happy times

dunteachin
26th April 2014, 05:41 PM
Improvement on yesterday - 30 points (15/15) in a strong bitter wind - putting sucked (40 putts) but the rest of my game was okay - pleased with my driving, it's starting to come back - unfortunately I may blow out a shot before next week's medal

timah!
26th April 2014, 06:16 PM
So I'm not sure whether I should be happy or frustrated after today. Probably both.
39/48 for 87/74. 37pts.
On an average day, I'd be stoked. Except today I was +2 after 11 and was trying 'not to think about it'.
I then coming home chucked in two 8's and a 10 (quality!) where I played like a rank c-grader. So if I didn't play like a muppet and played some smart golf for 3 pars, I shoot 75/62. Aaaargh.
Oh well. Gotto be happy with the majority of it given my irregular golfing. Kept the pro pin and was mostly happy.
Just need to remember some golf smarts and mentality whenever I get to play next. But there is still some sort of golfer in there!

JADO75
26th April 2014, 06:39 PM
5 over off the beater at Penrith in our Anzac Cup. Upside was a mate & I played with a 32 marker who had 42 points & won the Cup, it was great to see a real nice bloke play some good golf & get the "W" although we were worried when he hit a French Cut with his 3rd shot of the day.
Just when I think I've found a driver that I'm happy to use for more than 3 games in a row in the Bio Cell+, I use my Covert Tour 2.0 for the first time & loved it.

990B Luva
26th April 2014, 07:09 PM
37pts in a Single Stableford today. Dropped to my lowest handicap since getting 8 flagged rounds. Exact is now 8.4

Lucasto23
26th April 2014, 07:13 PM
37pts in a Single Stableford today. Dropped to my lowest handicap since getting 8 flagged rounds. Exact is now 8.4 Well played mate and was fun to beat you on the count back :) 37 points today and was happy with the 22 on the back nine and finishing birdie, birdie is always great

JADO75
26th April 2014, 07:22 PM
Great finish Lucas, Luva get that up ya

Dotty
26th April 2014, 07:33 PM
So I'm not sure whether I should be happy or frustrated after today. Probably both.
39/48 for 87/74. 37pts.
On an average day, I'd be stoked. Except today I was +2 after 11 and was trying 'not to think about it'.
I then coming home chucked in two 8's and a 10 (quality!) where I played like a rank c-grader. So if I didn't play like a muppet and played some smart golf for 3 pars, I shoot 75/62. Aaaargh.
Oh well. Gotto be happy with the majority of it given my irregular golfing. Kept the pro pin and was mostly happy.
Just need to remember some golf smarts and mentality whenever I get to play next. But there is still some sort of golfer in there!
That was my round yesterday.

3 over par after 11 (27 points), followed by 5 one-pointers in the next 6 holes, but parred the last with a SAAGB 5h into the 18th for 37 points.

Thanks to Virge for helping with a fundamental flaw the night before.
Thanks to Stealth2 for a driver the week before and 12/13 fairways hit.
Thanks to Dotty for replacing 3w with a 46* wedge to do greenside chip+run and 10 putts on the front nine.

Lagerlover
26th April 2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks to Dotty for replacing 3w with a 46* wedge to do greenside chip+run and 10 putts on the front nine.

Sounds like someone's in for some "special time".

timah!
26th April 2014, 08:12 PM
That was my round yesterday.

Was just dumb. I could have taken 5i from the tee and still made two birdies and a par. But nooooo, had to try and crunch driver.

Anyway, can't change it now. Will learn for next time...

Lagerlover
26th April 2014, 08:14 PM
You got that black tie in it yet tim?

oncewasagolfer
26th April 2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks CT that was at maryborough didn't end up winning someone had 23pts. Irish 4bbb today we were runners up with 88pts worked out I had 41pts with 3 birdies the flat stick is still working well. The prize was a bit underwhelming a ball, pen and 1 tee each wtf.

990B Luva
26th April 2014, 08:25 PM
Well played mate and was fun to beat you on the count back :) 37 points today and was happy with the 22 on the back nine and finishing birdie, birdie is always great Nice turn around from you Lucas. Spewing I can't sink putts. Missed too many within 10ft. Must need a new putter....

timah!
26th April 2014, 08:26 PM
You got that black tie in it yet tim?

Yep. Much better overall, but just over swung it.

Coldtopper
27th April 2014, 08:32 AM
Thanks CT that was at maryborough didn't end up winning someone had 23pts. Irish 4bbb today we were runners up with 88pts worked out I had 41pts with 3 birdies the flat stick is still working well. The prize was a bit underwhelming a ball, pen and 1 tee each wtf.
See what happens when you change your avatar to something decent! Great to see the good play. Trophies sux!!

Dotty
27th April 2014, 08:35 AM
Sounds like someone's in for some "special time".
Too right.

I had Ferrins put a 'special' grip on the wedge.

oncewasagolfer
27th April 2014, 09:12 AM
See what happens when you change your avatar to something decent! Great to see the good play. Trophies sux!!

I don't mind trophies when it is something decent but club credit is the way to go. Any good prizes in your pro career ct?

highballin
27th April 2014, 09:15 AM
30pts 18 front 12 back. Actually hit ball pretty well. But paid the price for some brain fades 3wipes on the back nine.

catch22
27th April 2014, 06:50 PM
Had 40pts, 24f 16b today

Had 37 off the stick on the front, which is a personal best ... had a penalty for touching the ball when i moved a leaf off, so could have been par if I hadnt been so careless!
Lost my mojo a bit on the back with the big stick but finished strong with birdie, par.

Handicap is now down to 11.3 (play off 12 on my home course though), which is the lowest it's been so pretty happy :) Also back down to A grade!

Had 2 birdies, 5 pars, and 1 bogey and 1 double on the front, and 2 birdies, 1 par, 3 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 triple on the back (stupid trees!)

Shortylook
27th April 2014, 07:28 PM
Just managed to get under the century yesterday with a 98.

mrbluu
27th April 2014, 09:09 PM
I had 36 at Richmond with 2 wipes and 2 1pointers. Started on the back, missed 5 straight greens and got up and only and was 4 over. Birdied 15, 16 and 18. Wiped 1 and 3 then bogeyed the 9th. Only hit 7 GIRS all day. 4 birides helped. Hitting it well in patches but a few loose swings cost me dearly, include slow starts to both nines. Soft bogey on the last.

Stats

4 x birides
36 points.
2 x wipes
7 GIR
30 putts.

Shortylook
27th April 2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks CT that was at maryborough didn't end up winning someone had 23pts. Irish 4bbb today we were runners up with 88pts worked out I had 41pts with 3 birdies the flat stick is still working well. The prize was a bit underwhelming a ball, pen and 1 tee each wtf.sounds like my second prize last week or whenever it was, 2 towels with "his and hers" stitched into them. They were almost small enough to be hand towels :roll:

oncewasagolfer
28th April 2014, 08:57 AM
Nice playing catch.

Slothman
28th April 2014, 12:30 PM
31 Points on Saturday. Reasonable conditions...just can't seem to get my head right.

Started the back 9 +1 after 4 holes and thought I bought my round back...11 points through 4 holes...16 total for the 9....*sigh*.

Putting stroke was feeling good and had around 5 putts where all members in the group though they where in half way down...to just miss or lip.

LeftyHoges
28th April 2014, 03:03 PM
Forgot to include my ANZAC Day round here.

Played at Dartmoor GC and managed to get a round in with my brother from Townsville, haven't played with him for at least 18 months.

Snap-hooked the living shit out of all day in the ambrose on Good Friday and it started the same way this day, a dirty smother hook to start the day (shotgun start on the 2nd). Chipped out, hit it to 5 feet from 70 out then proceeded to miss the hole by a foot with the putt. :roll: Piped driver / hybrid on the par 5 next and left my 8 foot eagle putt 6 inches short dead in the jaws. Hit 9 iron to 5 feet on the par 3 next and made the bird to be 1 under through 3. Parred 5, 3 putt bogeyed 6 from 15 feet before birdieing 7. Parred 8 then got on the bogey train for 9,10 and 11. Birdied 12, parred 13, bogeyed 14, parred 15, 16 and 17 before birdieing the par 5 18th. Made an awesome up 'n' down on 1 for a 72 off the bat (par 71) and 38 points. My brother, using my clubs, shot 74.

Vital stats
35 - 37 = 72-3-69 (DSR 70 despite the next best score being 35 points, how the fruck does that work!?)
5 birdies
7 pars
6 bogeys

9/14 fairways
11/18 GIR
31 Putts
5 / 9 Up 'n' downs

Back down to 2.4, with 5 of my last 6 games flagged.

Gawd knows when my next game will be. Have to be some time in May for the fireball though, I suppose.

Courty
28th April 2014, 05:28 PM
Single stableford at Mareeba GC with NK this morning.

Another sub-80 round (79, 35pts) which really should've been a couple lower if not for a brainfart jug on the 17th which ended in a double, and then a soft bogey to follow it on the last.

6 FIRs
4 GIRs (could've sworn I hit more, but many were within a few inches of the putting surface)
27 putts

This was good enough for 2nd place. I won 4 Srixon Q-Stars, and promptly handed them to a junior I played with on Saturday. 8)

I played the Mareeba Open (36 hole stroke event) over the weekend with Solarman.

Saturday was a disaster. Not one part of my game was working. I had no rhythm, no feel & consequently no confidence.

I chopped it around in 86/80, even with 2 birdies to soften the blow. :shock:
5 FIRs
6 GIRs
32 Putts (even with a chip-in :oops:)

Sunday didn't start out any better. I scrambled just to make bogies and was +8 after the first 9. But then I got it into gear somewhat to go around the back in +2 with a double on 11, and was actually -1 for the last 6 holes. Unfortunately the damage was well & truly done by then.

82/76
3 FIRs
7 GIRs
31 Putts

catch22
28th April 2014, 06:32 PM
Nice playing catch.
Thanks mate :) .. and gratz on your "big" win and the 41pts!

aussieashley
28th April 2014, 06:59 PM
Played Royal Queensland yesterday. Course was in great condition and played quite long.
Unfortunately the course schooled me. Hit it good off the tee but my short game has left me. 94 gross for a 88 nett (haha, yes I'm off 6).
Fairways: 9/14
Greens: 4/18
Putts: 38

My first OzGolf day is coming up at Arundel and I'm looking good for the NAGA. Especially as I hear the greens are quick around there.

dunteachin
28th April 2014, 07:22 PM
In reference to earlier posts re lousy trophies it sounds like a mate of mine at Camden Haven years ago. He had a 62 nett and streeted the field. The club had a range of trophies they kept in a cupboard for unsponsored days. The captain dug out a BBQ set for his prize. On opening the trophy after presentation we discovered that the tongs and fork were missing - we presumed that some committeeman had "borrowed" them to help on the Sunday social club barbie. To add insult to injury he also lost 4 shots - all for half a BBQ set.

androooo
28th April 2014, 07:45 PM
Played Australian Foursomes at Federal on Sunday. First time I'd ever seen the place.

Partner and I had 76 67 to finish T5.

Scores were some of the lowest I'd seen ever for a foursomes. 64 67 won.

Will be remaining in Canberra for the Interstate Series starting Tuesday