PDA

View Full Version : Wedge grief - fix by keeping left arm straight through swing?

SirTop
19th April 2014, 10:59 PM
Used to nail wedges, even carried 4 and threw them really high and long to set distances, stopping on a dime

Twice now shanks came back, recently after a 3 month reprieve.

Realised over the last few days, hitting hollow plastic balls in the back yard I finally started making good contact and the questions is;

Do you think collapsing the left arm on the back and through swing (which I seemed to be doing now) would add to the issue

Yes, had swing plane issue too, falling forward over the ball etc

If the left arm is collapsing and bending how can you expect to get on plane then stay on the whole way, probably leading to throwing the left arm out at the ball at the end in an attempt to get to the contact point. Would surely lead to hitting forward of the ball (shank), flipping, face still being open at impact etc?

Been keeping the arm straight the last few days and this seems to help keep the swing plane on track and keep control throughout the swing.

Yossarian
20th April 2014, 12:05 AM
Cool.

SirTop
20th April 2014, 08:23 PM
20 points today - time to give up the game I'd say...

Only shots I didn't misshit were driver, short chips and putts - all of which were excellent today

Hate this game

Jackson
20th April 2014, 08:33 PM
20 points today - time to give up the game I'd say...

Only shots I didn't misshit were driver, short chips and putts - all of which were excellent today

Hate this game

Have you been to see a decent pro for lessons?

SirTop
20th April 2014, 08:40 PM
Have you been to see a decent pro for lessons?

Jackson, I've got an excellent pro. I saw him 6 weeks ago when I was playing like a demon (hit 84 off the stick at my local, HC of 15) and after a swing change, everything is out of whack and is getting worst (self full-filling swing problems)

Going to get one more lesson to try and fix it.

Scenario;

- I used to know exactly how far every iron travelled, hit greens left right and centre, carried wedges; 46, 50, 56, 58 to accommodate all the distances I needed

- Today I had to resort to hybrid in from 150m to 40m in to have any chance, otherwise everything went at right angles

Mind boggling stuff

Coldtopper
20th April 2014, 08:44 PM
Are you sure you haven't developed a limp wrist ? Sometimes this kills the short game and needs to get sorted. Yeah I have not seen your action but it sounds somthing simple might be grip or aim doubt it will be hard to break. Spend a few dollars and get a lesson of a good pro.

SirTop
20th April 2014, 09:24 PM
Are you sure you haven't developed a limp wrist ? Sometimes this kills the short game and needs to get sorted. Yeah I have not seen your action but it sounds somthing simple might be grip or aim doubt it will be hard to break. Spend a few dollars and get a lesson of a good pro.

Limp wrist?
I have no idea. I felt like my left arm stopped going straight since hings went to poo, and I know I should have a flat left wrist at impact, assume that's what you mean?

Biggest issue I think - when I start the downswing now, feels like the club face will be open at impact and the ball will fly right. I've lost the feeling of how to get the club face back to the impact spot, to close it and hit down at the correct angle to take a divot in front of the ball and send the ball high and long toward the target

A month ago this happened without thinking.

Peppas
20th April 2014, 09:28 PM
I had less than 20pts my last round :)

mrbluu
20th April 2014, 09:32 PM
At least u guys got to play this weekend!!!

SirTop
20th April 2014, 09:46 PM
I had less than 20pts my last round :)

Lol, peppas you're just trying to make me feel better!!

timah!
20th April 2014, 09:47 PM

Oh shhhhhhh!

SirTop
20th April 2014, 09:47 PM
If I'd played cabra with you mate, I'd have been lucky to break the teens for points!!!

:)

KristianJ
20th April 2014, 09:51 PM

I was going to mention a bloke in my group at Richmond yesterday who registered his 6th point on the 10th and then more or less put the cue on the rack...

Peppas
20th April 2014, 09:51 PM

I tell no lies :)

3Puttpete
20th April 2014, 09:59 PM
A chopper in my group had 6 points on the back 9 today

SirTop
20th April 2014, 10:05 PM

I like him already...

popper81
20th April 2014, 10:41 PM

How is Lager?

Coldtopper? Marto really wants to know who you are... Can I tell him yet?

3Puttpete
20th April 2014, 10:58 PM
How is Lager?

:) Not him. This was a bit closer to home

Peppas
20th April 2014, 10:59 PM
:) Not him. This was a bit closer to home

Guy with the new irons? :)

3Puttpete
20th April 2014, 11:02 PM
Oh how he wishes they were the problem

Lagerlover
21st April 2014, 08:13 AM
How is Lager? haha...prick

Coldtopper
21st April 2014, 08:24 AM
Limp wrist?
I have no idea. I felt like my left arm stopped going straight since hings went to poo, and I know I should have a flat left wrist at impact, assume that's what you mean?

Biggest issue I think - when I start the downswing now, feels like the club face will be open at impact and the ball will fly right. I've lost the feeling of how to get the club face back to the impact spot, to close it and hit down at the correct angle to take a divot in front of the ball and send the ball high and long toward the target

A month ago this happened without thinking. Presuming you are right handed? The left wrist breaks down on the backswing and opens / closes he club face not a tough fix. The shots described tend to be from a similar cause but then again its only a guess as I havent seen a swing. $5 toc tic from ebay may work.
By the way I had 25, 26 points a few weeks ago then got a lesson and back on track again with 70 / 71nett Saturday. Lessons do work!!!

virge666
21st April 2014, 05:40 PM
It wont be the wrists - it will be the leg drive on the downswing.

Go the the range and practice hitting shots with "fast" arms. By this i mean the arm are going faster that you hips and legs are driving / opening.

If that doesnt work. swing the wedge more to your left on the follow through.

Either of the above will work. Play the ball under your left tit.

SirTop
22nd April 2014, 05:30 PM
It wont be the wrists - it will be the leg drive on the downswing.

Go the the range and practice hitting shots with "fast" arms. By this i mean the arm are going faster that you hips and legs are driving / opening.

If that doesnt work. swing the wedge more to your left on the follow through.

Either of the above will work. Play the ball under your left tit.

Thanks Virge, will try this too. With the below, I found I was hitting nice contact today when I hit down on the ball and finished in the covershot pose, maybe like you're saying with swinging more to the left.

I went out today and early on couldn't get a straight shot out of any irons, everything higher than a 6 iron flew right, including an 8 iron that flew out into traffic on Qantas drive

Next hole thought bugger it, really committed myself to the shot and flew 4 nicely struck balls to surround the par 3 green

Had more good hits, a few bad one then realised I wasn't keeping my left arm straight again.

Corrected that and flew some lovely irons up to the green with beautiful contact, and was back

Then had an approach with two oldies on the right of me on another fairway and I was 130m out

Worried myself with hitting them and sure enough, proceeded to shank one straight right, nearly taking one out

Bloody game, at least I made some progress, and won't cancel my comp game booked in for tomorrow morning now