PDA

View Full Version : Counter Balanced Putters - Experiences?

Outcast
11th April 2014, 06:14 PM
Anyone tried one, particularly anyone who considers themselves a poor putter?

What are your experiences, thoughts, results?

I am a poor putter particularly on slow greens where my wrists want to get involved in the putting stroke... anyone seriously think a counterbalanced putter might help?

Matt 3 Jab
11th April 2014, 06:20 PM
They do help. They are solid. I used mine which was modded a bit.

I'm a shocking putter and found it better on putts once you get the distance control right.

You can easily mod a putter to test it.

Nothing to lose in trying

SirTop
11th April 2014, 06:27 PM
They work, if you're a decent putter you may not need it though but it will still help

Outcast
11th April 2014, 06:56 PM
They do help. They are solid. I used mine which was modded a bit.

I'm a shocking putter and found it better on putts once you get the distance control right.

You can easily mod a putter to test it.

Nothing to lose in trying

What did you do to add weight to the grip end?

Did you add weight to the head at all?

I presume you used a longer grip as well? Belly putter grip or something else

Jerrymoo
11th April 2014, 07:42 PM
OC,

My putting has always been fairly average, but it has improved somewhat since moving to a counterbalanced putter. Especially from 12 feet and in. Thicker grip has helped, too.

Worth trying, I would say.

Also, if you're regularly playing on slower greens you could always try a mallet, something a little hotter than your Anser.

Matt 3 Jab
11th April 2014, 07:42 PM
Clevis pin or a bolt. Yes weight to head as well.

Normal grip but a belly grip and extending it to 38 inches works well

GolferGra
11th April 2014, 09:47 PM
I had my putter shortened as well, which I found helped.

markTHEblake
12th April 2014, 12:00 AM
Anyone tried one, particularly anyone who considers themselves a poor putter?You need to get the putter type that suits your putting style. If a counter balanced putter doesn't suit you then you might as well just go piss into the wind instead

JADO75
12th April 2014, 12:36 AM
The current NSW Ozgolf Putting Champ owns three Taylormade counter balanced putters & is currently using a 35" Daddy Long Legs, best putters I've ever used.

tyrob
12th April 2014, 03:25 AM
U can't go wrong IMO .. Improved my putting out of sight

liptout
12th April 2014, 05:35 AM
The current NSW Ozgolf Putting Champ owns three Taylormade counter balanced putters & is currently using a 35" Daddy Long Legs, best putters I've ever used.

Will said 'current NSW putting champ' be defending his title in a couple of months time though??

That is the biiiiiig question.....

rick3003
12th April 2014, 06:36 AM
OC, I too was a very poor wristy putter and have moved to left hand low. Worked a treat and am down to my lowest cap ever.

davepuppies
12th April 2014, 10:39 AM
I have always been a poor putter, and got a daddy long legs last year and my putting improved out of site......

That said my golf generally is very bad these days so it evens out!

TourFit
12th April 2014, 10:46 AM
User the TourLock Pro system (or alternatively, Optivibe)

I like about a 80-90g weight down the shaft, and then a 50-60g weight in the butt end of the shaft.

Tried it with a Yes! putter at a demo day at Karrinyup when I had the business up & running, and just wasn't missing many from 12ft. The guy who had come from Melbourne to do the fittings couldn't believe it and neither could I. Had every intention of buying the putter unassembled and the parts and doing it myself...but never got around to it!!!

Maybe a new project to get the juices flowing again?

Outcast
12th April 2014, 10:49 AM
You need to get the putter type that suits your putting style. If a counter balanced putter doesn't suit you then you might as well just go piss into the wind instead

MTB, not entirely sure what sort of putter actually suits me anymore... I've had plenty, face balanced, 40* toe hang, 60* toe hang, centre shafted, heel shafted, etc... etc... one will work for 2 - 3 months & I think I'm on to something good & then bang... I putt badly with it & can't seem to get it going again, sometimes ever.

I've had a number of putting lessons & during those I get told I have a great putting stroke; my green reading isn't so bad either but, under pressure or on slow greens (read Qld couch) my wrists break down constantly & I push/pull/underhit/overhit putts. On really, really good days I might get away with 30 putts but, on average it's 34 - 36 putts which is not helping me get back to single figures. I burn the hole on way too many putts, particularly short ones.

iPing says I have a 'strong arc' putting stroke but, I'm not convinced that iPing & the whole, straight/slight arc/strong arc is not a marketing ploy by Ping quite frankly.

For what it is worth, mainly looking at the TM Spider Blade 12

Outcast
12th April 2014, 10:51 AM
OC, I too was a very poor wristy putter and have moved to left hand low. Worked a treat and am down to my lowest cap ever.

Tried this a number of times as well as the 'claw' grip... unfortunately, I just cannot get comfortable with either so, I don't persist with them...

Outcast
12th April 2014, 10:55 AM
User the TourLock Pro system (or alternatively, Optivibe)

I like about a 80-90g weight down the shaft, and then a 50-60g weight in the butt end of the shaft.

Tried it with a Yes! putter at a demo day at Karrinyup when I had the business up & running, and just wasn't missing many from 12ft. The guy who had come from Melbourne to do the fittings couldn't believe it and neither could I. Had every intention of buying the putter unassembled and the parts and doing it myself...but never got around to it!!!

Maybe a new project to get the juices flowing again?

Cheers Fit.. just had a look at these, I'll have a think about whether I'm up for a challenge.

BUSHY
12th April 2014, 11:42 AM
You need to get the putter type that suits your putting style. If a counter balanced putter doesn't suit you then you might as well just go piss into the wind instead

This^^ Depending on your natural stroke different shaped and styled putters behave differently. Ping has proven this and it became the main driver for the iPing putting app. However counter balancing a putter that fits your style can only have a positive impact on your putting IMO. If you dont like it you can always revert to it's original config.

EDIT: Just read your post re iPing. I think the theory is correct. I've always putted better and felt better with Anser style putters. Turns out that mid hang, Newport, Anser style putters fit my putting stoke. It's not just from iPing but from other putting knowledge sources that promote/suggest:

SLIGHT ARC- MID TOE HANG

STRONG ARC- 90* TOE HANG

STRAIGHT- FACE BALANCED

Pelz talks about the rate of closure with the different stroke types and the types of heads that help square the face at impact.

SirTop
12th April 2014, 04:13 PM

Jado, much difference from the slant?

Outcast
12th April 2014, 08:47 PM
This^^ Depending on your natural stroke different shaped and styled putters behave differently. Ping has proven this and it became the main driver for the iPing putting app. However counter balancing a putter that fits your style can only have a positive impact on your putting IMO. If you dont like it you can always revert to it's original config.

EDIT: Just read your post re iPing. I think the theory is correct. I've always putted better and felt better with Anser style putters. Turns out that mid hang, Newport, Anser style putters fit my putting stoke. It's not just from iPing but from other putting knowledge sources that promote/suggest:

SLIGHT ARC- MID TOE HANG

STRONG ARC- 90* TOE HANG

STRAIGHT- FACE BALANCED

Pelz talks about the rate of closure with the different stroke types and the types of heads that help square the face at impact.

I don't necessarily disagree completely with the theory, I'm just not completely convinced that my stroke necessarily fits a strong arc perfectly vice a slight arc. I tend towards toe balanced putters (fm Anser style to a full heel shafted putter) but, at different times I have had face balanced putters & my putting wasn't that dramatically worse with it.

FWIW I'm considering a TM Spider Blade to have a play with; it's toe balanced (mid hang) & already counterbalanced. As many have said, can't hurt eh...

goughy
12th April 2014, 09:09 PM
So could this be what I've had done with my scotty mid sur without realising it? I had it cut down from a belly to 35" and it felt like shit. Take a few months ago to one of the guys at our driving range about it, and showed me some putters they had the called Heavy Putters. Said he could weight the head etc to get it to a good swing weight. They did it for me Wednesday, and it feels much better. Putter head is 375g; I think they used some sort of pin plus lead tape in the top of the shaft. I weighed the whole putter and think it was about 630g. About 50g heavier than my NC Z/I Alpha face balanced Mallet. I switched several times between the two on Friday and it didn't feel like a big change .

JADO75
12th April 2014, 09:16 PM
Jado, much difference from the slant?

I rate the Spider Blades enormously but the Daddy is an absolute stand out for me, I prefer to have a little bit of bulk behind the ball. Alignment & distance control is pretty easy

Outcast
12th April 2014, 09:19 PM
I rate the Spider Blades enormously but the Daddy is an absolute stand out for me, I prefer to have a little bit of bulk behind the ball. Alignment & distance control is pretty easy

Jado, what putting stroke do you have? Straight, slight or strong arc?

Just curious..

SirTop
12th April 2014, 09:20 PM

Cool thanks

Bushka
5th May 2014, 10:49 AM

Bolt from bunnings (i tried a bunch of them but went with a 100 mil), through the top of grip, down shaft and securely wedged in with gaffer tape.

Added about 100 grams all up and has been amazing in terms of stroke improvement, specifically 6 foot and in stroke is way more solid.

Big issue is distance control, takes a little bit of time to get used to hitting it on the long ones. Surprised the hell out of me that 100 grams could changed everything so radically.

Also love the way it looks.

jocker
5th May 2014, 12:29 PM
I added a 60gm weight (tour lock) to my versa putter. I don't think it has made any difference to my putting within 6 feet, but has made an enormous difference to my lag putting which was very inconsistent (short then long then short...).

Daves
5th May 2014, 07:07 PM
I just took apart a homemade counterbalance in a Rossa Putter. They used a 100mm long 8mm bolt and some plastic tube of similar diameter. Held in place with via some contact cement. The bolt head was too large for the shaft and required a hole in the top of the grip, so wasn't the tidiest install. The bolt plus plastic tube weighed 45 grams, so on the light side, but the putter had been shortened as well. I didn't think to check the SW before I dismantled it.

Bull
6th May 2014, 08:58 PM
Bushka did you find that your super stroke putter grip gave u more control as Iam having trouble with my ping Scottsdale putter

Peppas
6th May 2014, 09:04 PM
I just took apart a homemade counterbalance in a Rossa Putter. They used a 100mm long 8mm bolt and some plastic tube of similar diameter. Held in place with via some contact cement. The bolt head was too large for the shaft and required a hole in the top of the grip, so wasn't the tidiest install. The bolt plus plastic tube weighed 45 grams, so on the light side, but the putter had been shortened as well. I didn't think to check the SW before I dismantled it.

Where'd you get this custom putter from??

yaksta
6th May 2014, 09:24 PM
I added a TM Daddy Long Legs grip to my Ghost Spider and added 3 inches to make it 38". Feels great but I don't think the mallet is for me. I like the weight of the mallet but prefer the look of the blade. Might need to add some lead to my TM Rossa blade to get that feel of a heavier head.

Daves
7th May 2014, 08:25 AM
Where'd you get this custom putter from??

I gathered from the new owner that you were familar with it, onto another owner now and I have lengthened and rebalanced it for them.

Bushka
7th May 2014, 09:56 AM
Bushka did you find that your super stroke putter grip gave u more control as Iam having trouble with my ping Scottsdale putter

I really liked the super stroke. I Had to change the way i gripped the putter with it however and to be honest..putting is such a personal thing. I think you really do have to work on things privately till you find something that gives you sufficient level of comfort & confidence.

If you saw Appleby when he shot 59 and beat overton on the PGA tour a wee while ago, thats how i putt with the super stroke. Thumbs together down the spine of the grip with the butt held more vertically in the heel of the palm area.

Can't say i've seen a lot of people putt like that but it works for me.

Whatever floats your boat man.

Peppas
7th May 2014, 10:42 AM
I gathered from the new owner that you were familar with it, onto another owner now and I have lengthened and rebalanced it for them.

AHh... I think I dropped the ball on that one...

Iain
7th May 2014, 07:42 PM
Had a play around with the TM spider si today and quite liked the feel, so I'm thinking about doing this with a bc5 belly putter (395g head) I've got, it's currently at 33", going to extend it out to 36" and try to find a heavy grip.

Do you think I should add weight under the butt as well? If so, how much should I start with? Obviously it's a feel thing, but I need a start point.

Shane788
7th May 2014, 07:48 PM
I'd put at least 50g as a start, In my golo I ended up with 85g

Iain
7th May 2014, 07:55 PM
I'd put at least 50g as a start, In my golo I ended up with 85g

Thanks Shane. Is that with a heavy grip?

Shane788
7th May 2014, 07:58 PM
That's with the scotty cameron belly grip cut down to 17" so I would say it was heavier than a standard, started at 50g and kept going up till it felt ok and end up with 85g.
My futura x counterbalanced only has the standard 50g and feels heaps better, must have a lot to do with head too, so best to try a few weights.

Daves
7th May 2014, 08:05 PM
Had a play around with the TM spider si today and quite liked the feel, so I'm thinking about doing this with a bc5 belly putter (395g head) I've got, it's currently at 33", going to extend it out to 36" and try to find a heavy grip.

Do you think I should add weight under the butt as well? If so, how much should I start with? Obviously it's a feel thing, but I need a start point.

As you have suggested in your next post, I think it depends on (weight of) the grip you are going to use, and where (on the grip) you are going to hold it. I have just done a refit of a 34" standard putter into a 38" Armlock for a friend. The grip is a counterbalanced one from a 38" DLL I believe (was supplied by owner). It weighed about 135gr, but it still swingweights at G something. However with the armlock grip they are going to be holding well down the grip, and I am thinking SW isn't going to be a big issue. I am more worried about the loft being enough.

Iain
7th May 2014, 08:13 PM
As you have suggested in your next post, I think it depends on (weight of) the grip you are going to use, and where (on the grip) you are going to hold it. I have just done a refit of a 34" standard putter into a 38" Armlock for a friend. The grip is a counterbalanced one from a 38" DLL I believe (was supplied by owner). It weighed about 135gr, but it still swingweights at G something. However with the armlock grip they are going to be holding well down the grip, and I am thinking SW isn't going to be a big issue. I am more worried about the loft being enough.

I'm going to try and get one of the long heavy (130g) grips and will grip it around 33" as that's what length I play atm. I know the grips are available, but whether they are retail is another thing.

Outcast
7th May 2014, 08:17 PM
I'm going to try and get one of the long heavy (130g) grips and will grip it around 33" as that's what length I play atm. I know the grips are available, but whether they are retail is another thing.

Iain,

I've just bought a Winn 15" counterbalanced grip from Golf Works; I think it weighs in at 128g & is specifically marketed as a counterbalance grip. Cost me about $21 US landed..

Daves
7th May 2014, 09:54 PM

My friend got his from Golf World at Capalaba I gather, I presume it was a 2nd hand pull. He said it cost him $20.

Iain,

I've just bought a Winn 15" counterbalanced grip from Golf Works; I think it weighs in at 128g & is specifically marketed as a counterbalance grip. Cost me about $21 US landed..

Good value option there.

AlexMc
10th May 2014, 11:43 AM
Iain,I've just bought a Winn 15" counterbalanced grip from Golf Works; I think it weighs in at 128g & is specifically marketed as a counterbalance grip. Cost me about $21 US landed.. Would they fit on a standard 35" shaft, or does it need to be wider like on the Futura X Counterbalanced?

timah!
10th May 2014, 02:36 PM
Iain,

Might add one or two of those to an order soon!

BUSHY
10th May 2014, 04:26 PM
Would they fit on a standard 35" shaft, or does it need to be wider like on the Futura X Counterbalanced?

Normal shaft with some tape. This is the one I've got.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/10/yjutavuv.jpg

Outcast
10th May 2014, 04:41 PM
Would they fit on a standard 35" shaft, or does it need to be wider like on the Futura X Counterbalanced?

As far as I'm aware it goes on a stock 35" okay. I note Bushy used some additional tape. I'll let you know when I fit it :)

AlexMc
10th May 2014, 08:21 PM
Sweet - ordered two of them today.

The other thing I was wondering is... I have a 38" Futura X Counterbalanced and I want to knock 2 inches off it. Surely at worst it would only need a few wraps of tape underneath the grip to make it fit?

benno_r
10th May 2014, 08:25 PM
Sweet - ordered two of them today.

The other thing I was wondering is... I have a 38" Futura X Counterbalanced and I want to knock 2 inches off it. Surely at worst it would only need a few wraps of tape underneath the grip to make it fit?

I am looking 2 knock a couple inches off as well. Shaft is ok not to need extra tape.

Cant get the counter weight out of the shaft yet though...

Shane788
10th May 2014, 08:27 PM
Still no luck benno, must be glued in ey? You tried heat yet?

AlexMc
10th May 2014, 08:34 PM
Bugger - so the weight is in the shaft and not the grip? Kinda like a Tourlock but inside the grip (instead of drilling the top out of the grip)?

Potentially I might have to send it back to Titleist to get it done...

Iain
10th May 2014, 08:40 PM
Might add one or two of those to an order soon!

Indeed.

benno_r
10th May 2014, 09:14 PM
Still no luck benno, must be glued in ey? You tried heat yet?

Nope. Heated it up tonight, but it is recessed and glued, and you just cant get a grip on it. I know ways to do it, but trying to find a way without damaging it.

If I can find my tap set I might just tap it, screw in a long bolt, then heat it and knock it out.

benno_r
10th May 2014, 09:17 PM
Bugger - so the weight is in the shaft and not the grip? Kinda like a Tourlock but inside the grip (instead of drilling the top out of the grip)?

Potentially I might have to send it back to Titleist to get it done...

50g glued inside the shaft. I blew the grip off easy enough, but getting the counterbalance out is frustrating me.

If you blow the grip off, wrap the ends tight with electrical tape.

Shane788
10th May 2014, 10:02 PM
Nope. Heated it up tonight, but it is recessed and glued, and you just cant get a grip on it. I know ways to do it, but trying to find a way without damaging it.

If I can find my tap set I might just tap it, screw in a long bolt, then heat it and knock it out.

Yeah that's they way I was going to say next, I have a tap set here somewhere if you go that route.
Other option I was going to say is just to drill a self taper into the top just till it grabs and then head up and pull on the screw, I had to do that to get my weight out of my CB Golo worked easy as.

benno_r
10th May 2014, 10:11 PM
Yeah that's they way I was going to say next, I have a tap set here somewhere if you go that route.
Other option I was going to say is just to drill a self taper into the top just till it grabs and then head up and pull on the screw, I had to do that to get my weight out of my CB Golo worked easy as.

Ended up heating it and drilling with a 10mm drill. Once the bit grabbed it spun right out. Cut it to 36.75", will, put the tourlock 60g in tomorrow and the superstroke belly.

Happy days!

Shane788
10th May 2014, 10:14 PM
Good to hear!! Interested to see how it goes, I couldn't think of changing mine, I havnt putted better in my life, strongest part of my game now.

benno_r
11th May 2014, 07:10 AM
We'll she's all gripped up with the SS belly grip and 60g tour lock. The balance is now perfect, where before it felt very head heavy. Hopefully take it out for a round today and see how it goes.

hardboiled
11th May 2014, 07:38 AM
Any Melbournians up for a group buy on Tour Locks from Golfworks?

Iain
11th May 2014, 01:44 PM
Used my TM Spider SI yesterday, very happy with the roll it put on the ball. Seemed easy to get the weight right on lag putts, but even if it's not, it swing back and through online extremely easily. Be interesting to try one with a heavier head and counter weight.

Outcast
19th May 2014, 04:15 PM
Well, my counterbalanced putter experiment is about to begin...

Local pro at Drummond Cairns put a 50g Clevis Pin (1 3/8" long x 1/2" diameter) I supplied in the top of my Nike Method 001 & then fitted the 15" Winn CB grip I got from Golf Works. Have had a couple of putts on my putting mat & it feels great. Seems really easy to put a 'rhythmic' slow swing on the putter and the results have been good on my 6ft putting mat.

Will be playing Saturday if this friggin rain ever stops, be interested to see how it goes. If the weather stays away I may even get out to the club for a practice roll before Saturday, if not well, I'll be restricted to my indoor mat.

timah!
19th May 2014, 06:40 PM
Well, my counterbalanced putter experiment is about to begin...

Local pro at Drummond Cairns put a 50g Clevis Pin (1 3/8" long x 1/2" diameter) I supplied in the top of my Nike Method 001 & then fitted the 15" Winn CB grip I got from Golf Works. Have had a couple of putts on my putting mat & it feels great. Seems really easy to put a 'rhythmic' slow swing on the putter and the results have been good on my 6ft putting mat.

Will be playing Saturday if this friggin rain ever stops, be interested to see how it goes. If the weather stays away I may even get out to the club for a practice roll before Saturday, if not well, I'll be restricted to my indoor mat.

That would make it extremely butt heavy wouldn't it? Did you add any extra weight to the head? And what length is it playing at?
My TM Corza arrived today according to tracking, and my Winn CB grips should arrive on Wed.
How 'fat' are the Winn grips OC?

Outcast
19th May 2014, 07:51 PM
That would make it extremely butt heavy wouldn't it? Did you add any extra weight to the head? And what length is it playing at?
My TM Corza arrived today according to tracking, and my Winn CB grips should arrive on Wed.
How 'fat' are the Winn grips OC?

When I picked it up I compared it to the TM Spider Blade & it felt quite similar both in just picking it up & balancing it as well as putting with it. I wasn't going to put a weight in the end originally but, the chap I work with as a coach (used to be at Cairns GC, now at Drummond Golf - is a PGA Pro) had a feel of the grip & felt that it really needed some weight to achieve what I was looking for.

I didn't add any weight to the head at all, the Nike method head is 342g compared to TM Spider Blade head at 355g. I note that TM don't make any mention of additional weight in the butt end other than a 130g, 14.75" grip. With the addition of the clevis pin which sits probably 1/4 proud of the top of the shaft + the top of the grip + putter now plays at 35.5", this would add a few pts to the swing weight and affect overall balance as well. As I said, to me the two seemed very close in feel.

When you ask how fat are the Winn grips, if your talking outer diameter think Winn midsize type thickness & feel. If your talking inner diameter I think the are .61 of an inch. Pro didn't saying anything about extra tape when he fitted it.

The proof of how it goes will be when I get it on course I guess; putters are such a personal thing anyway so, what feels good for me might not for you. If I don't like the way this feels I might get a shorter (read lighter) clevis pin or simply remove it completely. Just need to remove the grip, extract the pin & regrip.

timah!
19th May 2014, 07:53 PM
Yeah, the corza I have is 345gm headweight, so I'm hoping just the extra weight of the winn grip will make a change. I was thinking about extending it an inche or two and will work from there...

AlexMc
19th May 2014, 08:23 PM
Any Melbournians up for a group buy on Tour Locks from Golfworks? Nowhere near Melbourne, but keen to get some heavier weights...

Bushka
20th May 2014, 10:38 AM
my tank 7 versa 40 inch god stick just arrived from golfbox.

sheesh not sure if i can putt with it yet but it looks like it knows how to sink em :)

Outcast
31st May 2014, 10:14 PM
Well, I've had the Nike Method in both counterbalanced setup & original setup out for a few rounds now; whilst it does put a nice roll on the ball, clearly I am just a shite putter no matter what I put in my hands.

I don't feel that the counterbalanced setup has done anything at all to improve my putting, particularly not my short putts. If anything I'd say my long range putts have indeed improved but, my short range putts have got worse....

I have put my Ping Anser back in the bag (and am awaiting the arrival of a TP Mills - thanks L4G) & I will now have a rethink about the future of the Nike. Timah did enquire if it was now very butt heavy & my earlier answer was that I didn't think so. Now of course I'm wondering if maybe it is... I will ponder this some more before I bother the local pro to pull the grip & remove the clevis pin & regrip to see if that changes anything....

Look out for a Nike Method 001 in the proshop soon I suspect.... I have the original grip if someone wants to return it to stock setup :)

Shane788
1st June 2014, 08:34 AM
I found the complete opposite, anything inside 8 feet feels almost automatic but anything in the 25-40 feet range I struggled, I'm used to it now but at the start it was hard.

Archi
1st June 2014, 12:41 PM
Bushka's super stroke mod photo inspired me to try the same on my Taylor Made Corza ghost,
which at 37's already had a long Winn grip on it and about 5grams of lead tape on the head
Bunnings 120mm bolt, gaffer tape & a scalpel to cut a hole in the grip end - an hour later - counterbalanced at about 110grams heavier.

Have used it in 2 outings with absolutely NO practise - unless the louge room floor counts
Rd 1 , apart from the fact i didnt use enough gaffer tape and the bolt was moving inside the shaft a little , felt good and loved it on the longer putts ( which is where i have always struggled )
Rd 2 around Karrinyup (after a gaffer tape adjustment) in a 2 ball ambrose , sunk 5 over 10 feet with several near misses - awesome - perfect greens may have helped a little

Bushka
2nd June 2014, 09:52 AM
yeah i loved mine in the bettinardi, i went the whole hog and got a proper bought one and am putting better than ever with it.

About the only part of my game thats working at present.

Archi
2nd June 2014, 01:46 PM
Ive bought a 17 in counter balanced grip from Timah and considering
1 putting it on the above Taylor made or
2 cutting down my Odyssey Arm Lock metal X No.7 to about 39 inches and whacking it on there

Shane788
2nd June 2014, 02:35 PM
Option 2

pt73
2nd June 2014, 03:44 PM
I've been using a GoLo Mid cut to 36" with a 50g Opti Vibe weight and a Superstroke Mid Slim grip for a few months and the results have been very good so far.

I went with the GoLo so I could change the headweight if I wanted.

Shane788
2nd June 2014, 04:13 PM
I've been using a GoLo Mid cut to 36" with a 50g Opti Vibe weight and a Superstroke Mid Slim grip for a few months and the results have been very good so far.

I went with the GoLo so I could change the headweight if I wanted.

I had the exact same set up but at 38", great putter

AlexMc
2nd June 2014, 05:55 PM
I've put a 100 gram tour lock pro weight in my Golo N7 - has the weight that I like about the Futura X in 34" but with more feedback, in a Superstroke (Ultra Slim) and the plumbers neck design that I prefer. Putted pretty well first go - feels heavy but completely takes your wrists out of the stroke. I have a 50 gram weight which I could swap it with if I want to knock some weight out of it though.

The Futura X is up for sale if anybody is interested...

pt73
2nd June 2014, 06:07 PM
I had the exact same set up but at 38", great putter
Me too, I found another GoLo Mid on ebay for $200 in as new condition so I couldn't resist.

Ferrins
7th September 2015, 03:47 PM
Are these couner balanced putters still popular?

pt73
7th September 2015, 04:05 PM
I'm still gaming one but now it's a Ping Ketsch TR Heavy with one of the new Superstroke XL grips with the 50g weight that screws into the grip cap.

Results have been variable but that more me getting distance control dialled in and alignment correct.

coalesce
7th September 2015, 04:29 PM
I love my 38" Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7. It really helps me with distance control and not decelerating on the stroke. I can feel my putting motion is more of a pendulum (or not - in turn it also helps me feel when it is wrong too).

Maybe I need a counterbalanced wedge too ;) I can't seem to solve the deceleration problem when I chip...

Wenz
7th September 2015, 04:46 PM
Spider Mallet 2.0 here. Although it's not a true counterbalance, it certainly helped me.

simmsy
7th September 2015, 05:05 PM
I love my 38" Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7. It really helps me with distance control and not decelerating on the stroke. I can feel my putting motion is more of a pendulum (or not - in turn it also helps me feel when it is wrong too).

Maybe I need a counterbalanced wedge too ;) I can't seem to solve the deceleration problem when I chip...

Hocko!
G'day. Good to see you're here still even if under a diff name.

Johnny Canuck
7th September 2015, 05:17 PM
Hocko!
G'day. Good to see you're here still even if under a diff name.

Nasty.

Jazz18
7th September 2015, 06:41 PM
Just gone back to my TM Spider S counterbalanced. Even though not strictly counterbalanced, the heavy head and the heavy grip make it almost (and I stress, almost) automatic from inside 4-5 feet which I can't say about other putters I have.

meh
7th September 2015, 06:43 PM
I got a scotty x5 dual balance today. I actually putted best with my hands at the top of the grip. Better for the back too. I actually got it with the idea of removing the counter weight and having it 35 and really head heavy.

Bitter
8th September 2015, 09:21 PM
I got a scotty x5 dual balance today. I actually putted best with my hands at the top of the grip. Better for the back too. I actually got it with the idea of removing the counter weight and having it 35 and really head heavy.

Just got the Futura Dual Balance off mAxis1 with the same intention and just hitting putts on the carpet feel pure as is, Same thing though, standing tall and gripping high up. Interested to see how it goes on the weekend considering counterbalance and I do not get on.

Scifisicko
9th September 2015, 09:11 AM
I've played around a bit. Watched Matt Kuchar using a 38inch putter gripped low (for a while) for the counterbalance effect and tried it myself, then went to a 35 inch mallet. To experiment with counterbalancing I stuck a few different sized phillips head screw drivers through the pin hole in the end of the grip, weighing anyware from 40g to 150g. They stay in there very solidly even when you pull the club out of the bag repeatedly. Also tried a pair of 250g vice grip pliers on the end of the grip just to experience the effect of extreme couterbalancing. Ended up playing a few rounds with 75/100g screwdrivers in the end of a 35inch putter before settling on 100g as the right weight. IMO you sacrafice a tiny bit of distance control for a tiny bit more accuracy on short putts. To get the best of both worlds, I replaced the 35 inch shaft with a 37 inch shaft which gives me approximately 100g above my hands when gripped short and i grip it taller for long putts. I feel more confident over 4 footers, I suspect that is the main difference.

gameboy
9th September 2015, 09:22 AM
i was fitted for a counterbalanced wide versa. very happy. much stronger for the short to medium putts.

aym
9th September 2015, 07:28 PM
Tried, don't like it, keep leaving putts short, gone back to my odyssey #7.

IanO
9th September 2015, 11:42 PM
I have the SC Futura X Counterbalanced and my distance control has been very good with it and I seem to hardly miss anything within 5 feet now. My only gripe is that the longer I have had this putter the more I dislike the look of it. My wife bought it for me for Christmas so it is pretty hard to just ditch it as she would notice now that she plays golf with me pretty regularly now :(

Ferrins
10th September 2015, 12:37 PM
Hit one today and they feel like crap so glad I didn't get the Tank yesterday.

Ferrins
18th March 2019, 05:14 PM
I just got a Bettinardi BB32 CB 38" as a training aid to smooth out my stroke. I fail to grasp how anyone could seriously consider gaming one though.

thecollective
18th March 2019, 05:20 PM
I just got a Bettinardi BB32 CB 38" as a training aid to smooth out my stroke. I fail to grasp how anyone could seriously consider gaming one though.

They are a band aid solution. I have a 38" TM Daddy Long Legs counter balanced. It produced instant results to my at the time 6 putting but the long term effects were very detrimental. I find the extreme counter balancing encourages you to release the putter head way ahead of the hands, you then compensate by applying an extreme forward press. It throws everything out of whack including your sanity.

thecollective
18th March 2019, 05:24 PM
They are a band aid solution. I have a 38" TM Daddy Long Legs counter balanced. It produced instant results to my at the time 6 putting but the long term effects were very detrimental. I find the extreme counter balancing encourages you to release the putter head way ahead of the hands, you then compensate by applying an extreme forward press. It throws everything out of whack including your sanity.

Edit: Having read the above posts I agree that 35" and lower is ok for counter balancing, my post is more directed at the extra long putters

benno_r
18th March 2019, 05:27 PM
I have had as much success with my 37" counterbalanced putters as well as my 35" non-CB putters. I find as long as you don't rush the excess weight (back smooth, through smooth), they are as equally capable as regular putters.

Ferrins
18th March 2019, 05:31 PM
I'm a fan of rolling 20-30 putts a day purely for rhythm and tempo. I have a debilatating shoulder injury that now effects my putting stroke. Drinking a fair bit of Bourban then racing around on a 500cc racing dirt was not one of my best moves. That was 25 years ago since I went went over the handle bars at about 80klm's with no helmet on.

thecollective
18th March 2019, 07:57 PM
I'm a fan of rolling 20-30 putts a day purely for rhythm and tempo. I have a debilatating shoulder injury that now effects my putting stroke. Drinking a fair bit of Bourban then racing around on a 500cc racing dirt was not one of my best moves. That was 25 years ago since I went went over the handle bars at about 80klm's with no helmet on.

Were you the real Jake Peralta?

AlexMc
19th March 2019, 08:30 PM
I'm a fan of rolling 20-30 putts a day purely for rhythm and tempo.I’ve been doing the same thing with a putting mat and a mirror. Has helped my putting immensely - gone from averaging low 30’s to high 20’s per round, and has helped me get from 9 to 6 over the last few months.

Bigbad
19th March 2019, 10:41 PM
Putted with a stroke lab square back putter today and have to say I was quite underwhelmed. I tried it originally in Drummond and it felt good, but once I got it out on course I really struggled with it. Obviously it’s more me but I didn’t really like it at all. Face was too soft, didn’t feel like I had control over the ball.